Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing on multiple laptops issue

(This is very likely in the wrong section, and Googling for any clear info/answer about this is not helping, so I thought I'd just ask on here.)

I've got Sims 4 installed on my old laptop (of which I still use most of the day) and on my new laptop, however, a few weeks ago I went to play the game on this old laptop of mine and it wasn't in my library at all. For the time being I ignored it and just played it on my new laptop, thinking nothing of it, probably a glitch I'd sort out another time.

So, this is the another time and just now I wanted to play it again on my old laptop, and it was back in my library, but I was made to download and install the game again. And again, didn't think anything of it, but then I found my entire game has gone from my old laptop. It's okay, luckily, of course, because I've got them on my new laptop still and my latest updated Electronic Arts folder is saved to memory sticks, but why would it have needed installing/downloading again, and why would it have removed my entire game from this laptop? Is it because I installed/downloaded and logged into it on my new laptop? I never uninstalled the game on this old laptop, I know it can be installed on more than one laptop/PC, and I know I can't log in and play at the same time on both laptops.

I'm moving all my games to my new laptop anyway, because this one's graphics driver is being a pain, but I'm not sure what's happened in this situation. I'd like to know regardless if I've done something wrong or got confused by the info I've read; maybe it's not possible to have it installed on two laptops anymore, without one cancelling out the other. Thanks in advance.
"You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,489 Member
    edited March 2023
    Well, I certainly hope that's not the case. My gaming rig has all but given up the ghost. Hubby discovered the hard disk drive isn't receiving. :open_mouth: Earlier yesterday, things were fine. Then as I was going through my many emails (still had about 50 to read) when Windows decided it had to crash. Once it was done gathering the information it needed, it's supposed to reboot. It seemed to but then it got stuck on a curious blue page that had three icons down on the lower right of the screen. Clicking on one of these got me nowhere. Unplugged the beastie for overnight and this morning tried again. Same empty blue screen and selecting an icon got me exactly nowhere again. Hubby took a look inside and made the discovery about the hard disk drive. He didn't have a lot of time, because he needed to get ready for work, but when he throws words around, such as well, you need a new one anyway and have for some time, now. I get worried. We're not exactly the Rockafellas.

I'm hoping he can find someone reliable who can fix what's wrong and perhaps give it a power boost. In the meantime, I'm wanting very much to play. Having no clear idea of how long I shall have to wait, doesn't help, either. I know I was able to play on this laptop about a year ago, with the game installed on the rig, but that was back with Origin. In fact, I still have Origin installed on this device.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    That is so weird. I have not done this with the EA app yet, but while I still had Origin I had my game installed on both my laptop and desktop. I could play on both although the saves were different, unless I transferred it , it worked on both. Only thing is I could only be logged into the gallery on one of them at a time, If I logged in on my desktop then my laptop signed out and vice versa, but I could play offline. Perhaps the new app does not allow that. I only have it on my laptop at the moment so not to sure how the ea app work. Hopefully someone with know hows will help you a bit more than I am currently trying to do LOL
  • hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    That is so weird. I have not done this with the EA app yet, but while I still had Origin I had my game installed on both my laptop and desktop. I could play on both although the saves were different, unless I transferred it , it worked on both. Only thing is I could only be logged into the gallery on one of them at a time, If I logged in on my desktop then my laptop signed out and vice versa, but I could play offline. Perhaps the new app does not allow that. I only have it on my laptop at the moment so not to sure how the ea app work. Hopefully someone with know hows will help you a bit more than I am currently trying to do LOL

I've wondered perhaps if it's because I've got Origin on my old laptop, and EA on my new laptop. It's probably that, isn't it? I'll have to check it.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    I’ve been having trouble finding out if two people can play using the EA app at the same time, too, because my sister has been talking about playing again, lol. That’d be pretty horrible if you can only have it on one laptop at all! I miss Origin …
    hely0t wrote: »
    I've wondered perhaps if it's because I've got Origin on my old laptop, and EA on my new laptop. It's probably that, isn't it? I'll have to check it.

I discovered that this wasn't the issue because I have EA app launcher thing on this old laptop of mine and on my new laptop. The game is working on both laptops, I've just checked, and I made sure I logged out from one laptop to load it on the other. Last night I did some stuff on the game on my old laptop, then saved it, and it's still there now, but my changes from last night haven't been updated on the game on my new laptop.

So, now I'm wondering new stuff (more like rhetorical questions because I think I got my answer from the evidence): can I not have the same saved game on both laptops? Should it have updated my changes on the game on my new laptop, despite making those changes on the game on my old laptop?

(I'm not great with techy stuff so I'm trying to figure this out the best I can.)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member

I discovered that this wasn't the issue because I have EA app launcher thing on this old laptop of mine and on my new laptop. The game is working on both laptops, I've just checked, and I made sure I logged out from one laptop to load it on the other. Last night I did some stuff on the game on my old laptop, then saved it, and it's still there now, but my changes from last night haven't been updated on the game on my new laptop.

So, now I'm wondering new stuff (more like rhetorical questions because I think I got my answer from the evidence): can I not have the same saved game on both laptops? Should it have updated my changes on the game on my new laptop, despite making those changes on the game on my old laptop?

(I'm not great with techy stuff so I'm trying to figure this out the best I can.)

Your saved game is stored on your local drive of your laptop, not in a cloud service. If you want the save game from one laptop to be available on the other laptop you will have to transfer the file, for example by using a USB device. Your save files can be found at Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 > Saves.
  • CatSimerCatSimer Posts: 16 Member
    > @SimDork23 said:
    > I’ve been having trouble finding out if two people can play using the EA app at the same time, too, because my sister has been talking about playing again, lol. That’d be pretty horrible if you can only have it on one laptop at all! I miss Origin …

Me and my sister had no trouble sharing the same account on two different devices, so I think you can.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    CatSimer wrote: »
    > @SimDork23 said:
    > I’ve been having trouble finding out if two people can play using the EA app at the same time, too, because my sister has been talking about playing again, lol. That’d be pretty horrible if you can only have it on one laptop at all! I miss Origin …

Me and my sister had no trouble sharing the same account on two different devices, so I think you can.

Perfect! Thank you so much! :)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I found that I had to sign out and quit Origin on one machine before it would let me play on the other so.maybe don't let the old one be able to remember you and exit fully on each one on the EA app. too?
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Your saved game is stored on your local drive of your laptop, not in a cloud service. If you want the save game from one laptop to be available on the other laptop you will have to transfer the file, for example by using a USB device. Your save files can be found at Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4 > Saves.

That's what I thought had happened, just needed it confirming. Thank you! :) I'd been moving the files between laptops via a memory stick but that seemed a chore to do each time. Ah well, at least I know what's happening now.
  • Simspaula253Simspaula253 Posts: 1 New Member
    It's possible that the Sims 4 installation on your old laptop was somehow corrupted or incomplete, which is why it needed to be reinstalled. As for why the game disappeared from your old laptop, it's possible that the installation process overwrote or deleted some of the game files, causing it to be removed.

It's generally allowed to install Sims 4 on multiple devices, as long as you're using the same EA account to log in and play the game. However, you can only play the game on one device at a time, so if you were playing Sims 4 on your new laptop while trying to reinstall it on your old laptop, that could have caused some issues.

To avoid this kind of problem in the future, it's a good idea to make sure you have a backup of your game files before trying to reinstall or update the game on any device. This way, you can restore your game files if anything goes wrong during the installation process.