Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, What Have You Done To Get Ready?

Comments

• DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,761 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    Question for the group, since I have been seeing it a a lot, what mods are everyone worried about breaking? I play with a lot of CC and have spent a lot of time pruning out a lot of the garbage or CC duplicates that have been replaced by stuff coming from kits. Should I be worried? I have very little CAS CC and don’t really play with mods other than TOOL.

@DeadFishy the infants update on th 14th & the pack release the16th are going to make HUGE changes to the game. This means that we'll likely have a "modpocolypse", meaning almost ALL mods & cc are going to break (cc doors are confirmed to break). And, yes, TOOL is likely to break; CAS cc too since a whole new lifestage is being added. You're best bet is to do what many others are doing: coping their entire Sims 4 folder to a different location. Or if you don't have the disk space just copy these folders to elsewhere: mods, saves, tray (these three are mandatory); if you put in custom music also copy the custom music folder elsewhere be safe.

Yikes! But will the objects actually get ruined? Can’t they just be updated??
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I haven't played sims in a while, I've mostly been Planet Zooing. I did have a rotation game that I was going through but I think I will restart it.

I have a save file backed up in various places that I use to start afresh so I will start with that. It contains copies of all the sims I ever played and all my favourite builds.

As usual I will start by adding new EP content into that save, with rec centres in a few of the worlds. Then I may age down a couple of toddlers or add a couple of infants and edit existing sims to add likes and dislikes before I start to play.

I'm definitely coming back to simming now infants are here and the new EP looks awesome!
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,941 Member
    I made a new sim, took her through the botanist aspiration, evolving her garden and I was going to use the scientist option to give her 2 daughters. But after reading that I can't control making them girls I would have to do it through game play, I changed my mind.

Now I want to make her a mad scientist that bugs infants and listens in to their conversations, convinced that they're taking over the world. So I really hope that infants will visit the rec center and that Strangervill's bug table works with the infants.

Is your Mad Scientist crazy, too? LOL Babies babble, but they aren't saying anything intelligible. if you write up this story, I'm interested in reading it. Sounds fun. ;)

Unfortunately after thinking about it I don't think it would work. In order for a sim to bug another sim they have to hug them and plant the bug on their back. I don't think that animation is done for infants, toddlers, or child sims. I don't think bugging the parents would have the same effect. I really wanted a screenshot of a couple of infants sitting together with the bugs blinking on their backs.

Oh well, I'll have to think of something else for my neat, socially awkward, and clumsy sim to do that could use the rec center with infants without having one herself. Any ideas?
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I walk on the wild side. No matter what the update is, I never back up anything or remove my cc/mods from the game. Ever. This time around, I’ll remove all mods but keep my cc. I know things will break and I’m not afraid of that, I just want to determine what’s really crucial to my gameplay and stop adding mods that I might use one day but never actually use. I’ve been meaning to do that for a while but I got busy with work. I’ll back up my main save and tray files because I’ve found some amazing lots and my world makeovers are perfect and nearly done so I do care about preserving that save this time around.

Then I’ll start a new throw away test save (literally use it for a day or two) because that’s what I do with every pack and it’s a tradition at this point. I might play this test save a little longer than usual until all of my must have mods (SNB bills/bank, UI cheats, Wonderful Whims, Healthcare Redux, Oni’s cooking and Littlbowbubs’ recipes) are updated. If I get attached to the family, they’ll just be added to my main save after mod updates.
  • LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,663 Member
    edited March 2023

I trust you are aware that there is a potion in the Aspiration Awards that will allow you to remove an unwanted Lifestyle? It works. I've used it. I hope your test goes well. I had to take a sleep-deprived EEG a few years back and I failed it. But, my new Neurologist didn't agree with the first doctor's findings. Yay, I'm off of the totally unneeded seizure meds.
    Thank you, I keep forgetting potions, I might slip on there right now before both grandsons are awake and one wants my computer and buy them all that potion. I have had sleep deprived EEG's, and quite a variety of other tests LoL. If I switch over to getting shots in my back and a targeted migraine medicine I might be able to get off the seizure meds as my neurologist prescribes them them for pain.

Update; I bought all 5 of them the potion, that went smoothly then the game froze and I had to use end task, I forgot it did that several times last week. This set of saves may be corrupt so I'm going to delete them and start over. I have Mel and her pup saved.
    Post edited by LuvtehGeeks on
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,489 Member
    rudolpha wrote: »
    I've picked out who will have infants and played to the place where the next family in my rotation is going to be the one having my first infant. Then I decided to backup and due to sloppy mouse control thought I'd lost my save because somehow the backup went in as the main game save. But I was lucky. Did a search and had put the latest save in my tray file so was able to move it back to where it was supposed to be and back it up. Just wondering if the save file in my Tray folder is ok there. The game loads fine. I'm excited to play all the new stuff. The family having their first infant live in Strangerville and the mom-to-be is currently finishing off university. She has one kid already. Her hubby is in the military.

Wow, what an adventure you had with that. I'm glad you found your save. Mine is gone. Oh, well. I am the Queen of Restarts!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,489 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    Question for the group, since I have been seeing it a a lot, what mods are everyone worried about breaking? I play with a lot of CC and have spent a lot of time pruning out a lot of the garbage or CC duplicates that have been replaced by stuff coming from kits. Should I be worried? I have very little CAS CC and don’t really play with mods other than TOOL.

From what I have read by those who know and understand mods this is a potential mod-buster patch. I think it's the size and scope of this patch that has everyone on the nervous side. There is a thread devoted to MCCC and that's where I heard the first clarion call, if you will. Coupled with another one in General discussion, I think it was, I'm pulling all of my mods, to be on the safe side. Another warning came from a Guru on Twitter, suggesting we back up our Game Folders and then use the 50/50 approach when returning our mods/cc to the folder. I'm beginning to think little, if anything is safe. Hope for the best, (as others have said) and prepare for the worst.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Got my test sims married and ready to try for that new baby
    m08Lvhi.png

7BkUjH3.png
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,873 Member
    Removed all mods, set up vanilla save.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    The same thing I always do. Backup my game file, remove it and let the game generate a new file. I'll play vanilla to try out the pack until all my mods/ CC have been updated and I feel like going through the arduous process of re-downloading them. I'm mostly concerned over CC. I dont use a whole lot of mods so that's easy to do but, I do have a lot of CC and that will be a bear. Though I know my must haves. I'm ok starting over with that just to clean it up.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Nothing yet. I've got my sims who want to move and also start a family but they won't be doing anything until after the updates. He's also just graduated and will be starting his teaching job. None of that will happen. I want them to have the milestones and memories.

Tomorrow, I will save the game save and trays and important files.
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,421 Member

Removed all mods, set up vanilla save.

Same. I sent my newly made sim to University to meet someone and fall in love. (I forgot how dreadfully long University takes. - geez) But I did want her to have a degree to help with the career. She's met someone, and they have become good friends. They do a bit of flirting now, and I will try to have them get married after Uni and then start a family. I figure that there will likely be some time before all the mods I use get updated.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited March 2023
    I built my legacy family an 8 bedroom house with a first floor nursery and a 2 story library on that 50x50 lot in Willow Creek. Waste of time, they all have 'single and lovin it'. :s Two of Mel's son's have toddler's so I'm holding them back to try them as updated toddlers. Mel's other two sons might have to have science babies to satisfy their urge for a wee little beast of their own if I get the expansion, if not I'm going to have to use vampire witch powers to command a union . On the other hand RL is so bad right now I've gotten the urge to just take Mel on a long vacation to a new save by herself for the peace and quiet. The day infants drop I have to get tested for sleep apnea, I'll be doing the home study and don't forsee actually sleeping much. LoL. :D

I trust you are aware that there is a potion in the Aspiration Awards that will allow you to remove an unwanted Lifestyle? It works. I've used it. I hope your test goes well. I had to take a sleep-deprived EEG a few years back and I failed it. But, my new Neurologist didn't agree with the first doctor's findings. Yay, I'm off of the totally unneeded seizure meds.

I use a cheat to remove lifestyles they have become such a pain in my saves. I know I can turn them off, but keep hoping a sim will develop a life style that I think they should like. My sims that like to vacation I’m hopping will develop that jet setting lifestyle. I might see if I can upload some of those potions to put in a store. I have a youth potion in one of my sims stores to roll back people to the beginning of the life stage they are on. But, I normally keep aging off so mainly use that potion to create differences in age within households I created.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,808 Member
    I'm going to take my game offline later today and keep it there until next weekend. Hopefully by then we'll know what bugs are in the update and how bad they are. If all goes well I'll go online next Saturday or Sunday and get the update. I plan to get the pack the weekend after that. I'm also going to make backups of mods, saves, and tray folders, and then just sit back and wait. Fingers crossed both the update and the pack will be as problem free as Werewolves.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited March 2023
    I don’t use mods or CC. So I will do a ‘save as” called before infants, for my main save and my scenario save, as to have an unplayed save for each in case there is a game breaking bug such as the aging one that popped up after one patch. And I may do the same when I buy and download the Growing Together expansion. I don’t think I can wait long for that one either.. I’m so interested in the new pack and infants that I don’t think I can wait on updating. I am also thinking of making a new legacy type save after the patch comes out.

I have some sims that have been babies ( in real life ) for years waiting for the infant update.

I have been downloading a few lots to put in my main save and scenario save, I will likely change up a bit in them. And, I am looking for where I want to make a park with the new splash pads.

I am hopefully anticipating a new Scenario for infants and possibly toddlers so I can start some new families in my scenario save.
  • VyollaVyolla Posts: 77 Member
    Cleaned up my mods and CC. Also, organized my mods a bit more so that I can just take them out completely when the update gets here. I've also been making some Sims for my save file as well as my household so that they can have Sims to grow up together with.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Nothing. Just playing as usual. I won't install the patch and EP for a while as I still have some goals to complete in my current, and only, save. The only mod I have that will surely need updating is UI cheats so hopefully that's done by the time I'm ready to update.

Ditto. UI Cheats is my only must-have-mod, but it's normally updated very quickly so no worries. Later this month I will leave town for several weeks, so it's not likely that I will find time to grab the new pack until late April anyway. So I did not prepare anything, except taking my regular backups.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I’m ready except for going through my mods and making notes of the ones most likely to break and need updating or simply won’t need anymore.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited March 2023
    I am not ready and will not be 😬. Real life work got too busy and what I planned to do in a month I only got to start this weekend.

I have started a brand new play through in high school years with teens who will eventually grow up and start families. I’m tempted to rush it but I’m really having fun with the new sims and giving townies makeovers so my sims will get to growing together when they get there.

I will install it and play around with the family dynamics and things but San sequoia and infants will have to wait a bit. I might take a look see just for fun though!
  • SassieSassie Posts: 293 Member
    edited March 2023
    I've played my main save up till the point that my heir is engaged. Also there's a baby on the way, so the save is ready for the infant update. :smiley: There are two additional things on my to do list: having my heir get married and move the couple to a home better suited for a family with very young children (they're living in a 1 bedroom starter home at the moment). But I think I'll manage that before the nooboo on the way will be an infant, so I'm not in a hurry anymore. :smile:

I also had my monthly backup of my computer done yesterday, so I have a backup of my saves (and also the backup from one month prior). I probably will wait until my mods are updated anyway (of which MCCC is the most important). In the mean time I will have a look at all the new content via online sites and articles. :smile: Also I'm planning to start writing for my own simblr again (it has been quiet for a while, because I've been busy with other things).
    Post edited by Sassie on
    Currently playing the Abbott household (4th generation now: Theo).
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I've cleaned out my Cashe file & started a Testing Game Save, so I'm all set. ;)
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,808 Member
    I’m a little concerned about being able to skip the update. I’m on a Mac so I still have Origin. Last night I switched to offline mode and did a couple of checks. Every time I open Origin it puts itself back online. I have automatic updates turned off but I still worry that it will go and get the update without my permission. It doesn’t open on startup so I may have to disconnect my computer from the internet entirely until after I open Origin and take it offline again. I really hope this update has no major bugs and by the end of the week it will be safe to update without risking my save’s getting broken.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Hm... I wonder if mod creators will update their mods after the patch, and then again after the pack, or if they will just skip the former... If so I might need to wait longer than normal to patch my game.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    edited March 2023
    I'm not too worried on the mod front as I only have a couple mods that mostly deal with eyes, and theyve been fairly stable through the years so far...

What I do worry over is how either of these incoming changes will affect my one game where the sim has 114 children, plus a couple grandkids currently. At the moment, most of the changes will likely affect unplayed households, as thats where most of the sim's kids are. Which could break that savegame..

That being said, I have created a couple games for the future.

One point I want to bring up here is that this could have the potential to truly Change some iconic families of the Sims game line. Goths, Landgraabs, Pleasants...

The Pleasants in particular, have been one of my favorite premades since Sims 2. And this series of updates has the potential to drastically change this dynamic because we wont really know quite the extent of extremes until we start playing the updates on Thursday [the patch tomorrow is only part of it really].

We would be able to effectively duplicate [to some extent] the twins upbringing; OR we could completely change it around... For the first time since 4 came out, we will have more power to shape how our sims futures turn out. Or at least thats the implication. Because even back in sims 3, it was hard to create a situation similar to Lilith and Angela, and now, we will have the opportunity to do so, without needing to resort to mods [again, implied].

Incidentally, I've had few issues with the EApp, and I actually like that I can start it in offline mode without having to go online first...
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    I'm playing offline until any game breaking bugs are fixed. Usually I have to say they are usually good at fixing major bugs quickly, so hopefully I won't have to wait long. Crosses fingers.