Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art of Sims Storytelling

Comments

• Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Thanks for finding those things. I will check them out...Beulah on a date? Hmmm, George isn't gay but given a good incentive he would agree to go on a date with Geoffrey as long as he behaved like a gentleman
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    Thanks for finding those things. I will check them out...Beulah on a date? Hmmm, George isn't gay but given a good incentive he would agree to go on a date with Geoffrey as long as he behaved like a gentleman

Since the interactions between Geoffrey and Beulah are starting to spiral out of his control and go places George never intended, it feels like a fun way to have him really get in over his beehive.😁 I'm not sure how George could get himself backed into that corner but it would be funny if he did somehow.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

Since the interactions between Geoffrey and Beulah are starting to spiral out of his control and go places George never intended, it feels like a fun way to have him really get in over his beehive.😁 I'm not sure how George could get himself backed into that corner but it would be funny if he did somehow.

during one of lauren and noels breaks i made her a dog. the very next day she went to a party got with some random guy and came back pregnant.

This is 1960s comedy farce material here and has to be played as such. I'm now going to have to rewatch a load of Carry On movies and even subject myself to the absolutely dire 60s sitcom "The Ugliest Girl In Town" for research. I'm going to have to cheat the game mechanics as well...turn George into a woman in CAS (remembering what he normally wears as a man first as the game wipes his original outfits)...make "her" unflirty (I think George is already) and play out the game as Geoffrey trying to use romantic interactions on an unflirty character or else make Geoffrey drink flirty potion first and then switch to playing as Beulah, letting the game engine run a very flirty Geoffrey...well, something like that!

during one of lauren and noels breaks i made her a dog. the very next day she went to a party got with some random guy and came back pregnant.

You made her a dog?
    edited February 2023
    You made her a dog?

I thought it was just the cold medicine messing with my head. That really would be a plot twist.😲
    edited February 2023

This is 1960s comedy farce material here and has to be played as such. I'm now going to have to rewatch a load of Carry On movies and even subject myself to the absolutely dire 60s sitcom "The Ugliest Girl In Town" for research. I'm going to have to cheat the game mechanics as well...turn George into a woman in CAS (remembering what he normally wears as a man first as the game wipes his original outfits)...make "her" unflirty (I think George is already) and play out the game as Geoffrey trying to use romantic interactions on an unflirty character or else make Geoffrey drink flirty potion first and then switch to playing as Beulah, letting the game engine run a very flirty Geoffrey...well, something like that!

I'll admit I had to look those shows up on IMDB. "The Ugliest Girl In Town" sounds like a good parallel. It's not exactly the same, but the movie Victor/Victoria could be another source of inspiration.
    Good call on Victor/Victoria. I've seen Cary Grant in "I Was A Male War Bride" which is great fun. The Ugliest Girl In Town is a far fetched idea but so badly written, it's painful to watch at times. While I remember the original French version of "La Cage Aux Folles" (and the American remake called The Birdcage) and Tootsie are good sources for cross dressing farce where one male character becomes enamoured with a man in drag who is obviously a man in drag to the audience.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

You made her a dog?

no in cas i gave her a dog.
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 774 Member

I missed quite a lot of interesting talk this week, that was an interesting read!

I think I still have to answer these two points:

How long does it usually take you to write a chapter?

With my Legacy, I have a very linear way of playing and writing, thus I usually play for a few hours and then quickly post a chapter using the pictures I took in game. Early in the legacy the chapters were quite short and I usually took a few hours in a row to both play and post, while after generation 6 the chapters got longer and I started to take notes about what happened at the end of a play session, and then take an extra couple of hours another day to write that part.

With story-driven projects instead I tend to focus on a whole story arc at a time (usually between 20 and 30 chapters) and work iteratively. After writing down the plan for the chapters and what is supposed to happen, I start to draft the text and add pictures (not necessarily in posting order), and then I often re-read what I already did and start to move chapter sections around until it feels consistent. I then iterate this check a few times, until I'm satisfied with the result.

It's quite hard to evaluate how much time it takes to make a chapter (and probably I'm taking more time than it would actually be required) but I have the bad habit of returning back on the old chapters (even the already posted ones) and modify them to better match the latest chapters I wrote, and preparing all the chapters in advance reduces the chances I could be tempted to do so.

Another question! Do you have a save file just for playing, or do you mostly/entirely use the game for the purposes of SimLit?

If I had the time I would probably enjoy having a real play save, but I rarely do nowadays. Other than my Legacy save and a few ones of stories I'm planning to start (and sometimes I abandoned already), I mostly have a test save I use for trying the new packs just after I buy them. My test-subject sim in there is probably starting to hate me at this point (for now he was already used for testing Strangerville, Island living, the firefighters update, and the werewolves pack).

2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.12 posted on the 25th of March 2024*
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member

Welcome back @HermioneSims !

With story-driven projects instead I tend to focus on a whole story arc at a time (usually between 20 and 30 chapters) and work iteratively. After writing down the plan for the chapters and what is supposed to happen, I start to draft the text and add pictures (not necessarily in posting order), and then I often re-read what I already did and start to move chapter sections around until it feels consistent. I then iterate this check a few times, until I'm satisfied with the result.

I work in a very similar manner. I need to bring all the chapters for the whole season/ story arc into focus together by skipping around working on the parts that are clear to me and moving back and forth through the chapters until I get everything done. And I also move chapters around as I figure out what the best flow for them is. I have never been able to write a story in a linear manner from start to finish. By brain just doesn't work like that.

Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    edited February 2023

EDIT: IGnore the previous post here!

Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    edited February 2023
    If any of you have noticed post-update that your textures look garbage on some items and blurry, here's a trick that might work that just involves editing one line of the graphicsrules.sgr file. (BACK THE FILE UP BEFORE EDITING!) (The reason for this possible texture issue is on the link)
    EDIT: This is from 2021 and I didn't think to check the date before posting it here.
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy I haven't updated to the latest patch yet. How bad is the blurry textures issue? Is it affecting all textures, or just certain items?
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    Thanks for the tip @SnowBnuuy. I haven't noticed any issues, but I changed my graphicsrules.sgr file anyway.
    @SnowBnuuy i did notice some of the clothing textures in my game looked a bit weird? And I had no idea why and assumed it was just the CC, I've noticed an improvement in textures since updating this file but IDK if this is something that's affected everyone or not.
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it in case I need it after I update.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @SnowBnuuy i did notice some of the clothing textures in my game looked a bit weird? And I had no idea why and assumed it was just the CC, I've noticed an improvement in textures since updating this file but IDK if this is something that's affected everyone or not.
    I vaguely remember changing this before and I noticed the link is from 2021, so I didn't hesitate to change it again. My computer should be okay loading larger textures. I didn't want to wait until I noticed something off.
    edited February 2023
    @haneul I should really learn to read dates... :D My bad.
    they/them or she/her
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @haneul I should really learn to read dates... :D My bad.
    I don't think this is a bad tip, though, because I was able to follow the steps exactly and eventually would probably have noticed an issue with blurry textures in game and needed to fix it again anyway. I occasionally use that creator's CC and the CC of other creators who use larger textures. Thanks for sharing.
    Even though that post was old, I finally did my graphics rules file and turns out that my textures were still set to 1024 so even though the post is old the texture issue might persist for some people. Everything looks better now I think?
    they/them or she/her
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Yup, sure does! For me, at least. A good number of things look way sharper than they used to. Yay!
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    Yeah, changing your graphics rule really helps (if your computer can handle the larger textures) but it gets reverted if you reinstall or use the "repair game" feature, and sometimes also if the game gets updated in other ways, so I always check it when I update my mods, like after a new expansion and such.
    generation5julia.png
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    I didn't know about this! Thank you @SnowBnuuy
    s54gWQ5.png
    edited February 2023
    Thanks @SirianaSims I didn’t know that. I’ll bear in mind if I ever have to reinstall and after updates ~
    they/them or she/her

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top