Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

San Sequoia World Discussion

Comments

• taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited February 2023

I’m an American and I agree. All American towns and suburbs look too much alike. There is a sense of “placelessness” here unless you’re in cities with very specific monuments, landscapes, or historical buildings, which are few and far between. Otherwise you see the same corporate businesses (fast food, grocery, and gas stations) and suburban home styles in nearly every. single. town.

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

Ah I’m glad some agree! I mean no knock on America. It would be the same with England. We have contrast with our big cities, smaller cities/towns, the countryside/regency areas and the coast. After that it would all feel the same. If you’ve seen Birmingham you’ve seen Manchester etc.

Id still like to see some of the more interesting American locales like Vegas and the bayous! Swamp sims would be amazing 😬

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

Yes and no. The type of planned communities that all look alike, have strict HOAs, etc., are a later development. I live in one of those postwar neighborhoods you're referencing, in a house built in the 40s (and grew up in a similar one), and it's a very different thing. No HOA, less uniformity/conformity, etc. Like I said, those older neighborhoods tend to be aesthetically harmonious, but not cookie cutter like so many of the newer neighborhoods.

• MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,790 Member

If Britechester was designed to be British, that explains the canal boats that frequently pass by my sims house 🤣.

edited February 2023

As a Brit I can see that Britechester is based on Britain in terms of the architecture but the actual university itself, with the jackets and the mascot and the way the debate team work and the spirit squad and things.. I always thought it seems a lot more American than British.

We don’t really have things like keg parties here to the best of my knowledge, and like beer pong etc. Those types of dorms aren’t very British either. So to me it feels more American. But yes I can see some British inspiration in the world.

To be fair maybe it isn’t American either, could just be a fun way of looking at university life. Overall it’s not like going to uni here but some things like the bicycles are definitely authentic to U.K. universities. I think they probably meshed a lot of different influences together.

JustinB113 wrote: »
    As a Brit I can see that Britechester is based on Britain in terms of the architecture but the actual university itself, with the jackets and the mascot and the way the debate team work and the spirit squad and things.. I always thought it seems a lot more American than British.
    We don’t really have things like keg parties here to the best of my knowledge, and like beer pong etc. Those types of dorms aren’t very British either. So to me it feels more American. But yes I can see some British inspiration in the world.
    To be fair maybe it isn’t American either, could just be a fun way of looking at university life. Overall it’s not like going to uni here but some things like the bicycles are definitely authentic to U.K. universities. I think they probably meshed a lot of different influences together.

I think it was intentionally conceived of as primarily British, but certainly anyone who has spent time around or in Boston would recognize it as being at least somewhat influenced, even if unconciously, by Harvard/MIT.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Nushka wrote: »
    I wish the EA team would rather decide the city's name *before* partying. San Sequoia feels... just too weird... (yes, I read what it means, but it is still another world name inviting for a lot of typos)

Yes, the name's also wrong, in Spanish, Sequoia is feminine so it should have been Santa Sequoia (like it's Santa Ana or Santa Clara).

Sequoia (though with a slightly different spelling) was the name of a Cherokee chief and statesman who invented the Cherokee syllabary (alphabet). The trees were named for him by a German arborist. So while it ends with an "a" it's masculine.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I wish the EA team would rather decide the city's name *before* partying. San Sequoia feels... just too weird... (yes, I read what it means, but it is still another world name inviting for a lot of typos)

Yes, the name's also wrong, in Spanish, Sequoia is feminine so it should have been Santa Sequoia (like it's Santa Ana or Santa Clara).

Sequoia (though with a slightly different spelling) was the name of a Cherokee chief and statesman who invented the Cherokee syllabary (alphabet). The trees were named for him by a German arborist. So while it ends with an "a" it's masculine.

I"m hoping were getting the gameplay trailer next week and it will go into detail about this world.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited February 2023
    I already implemented San Sequoia with my online residents registry, lol. It's way too early, but I could not wait. I would defiitely like to learn more about this world, and see some more environmental stuff to set the world's history, like I usually do with new worlds. I also decided 3-4 households for the hoods, hoping I won't need to adjust too much :) I renamed 2 of the hoods btw, because I had enough of 2 same capitals hood names from Brindleton Bay (BB, WW, SS and CC). Thuis new pack with SS, AW, GG and HH got too much, so I'll keep only the two first. My game will often use Aarbyville for San Sequoia though, mainly because I already had a world free region named Aarbyville, and I think SS fits welll there, history wise.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • lucombrelucombre Posts: 45 Member
    I hope so much for more apartments 🤞🤞
    But if not, I at least hope for a world that doesn’t look like generic American suburbs.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I notice there's a concern about how most of the Worlds are American. I understand that, however Sims 4 is actually an American game, so it makes sense.
    I do appreciate the following worlds:
    Oasis Springs - Mexico/Spain
    Windenburg/Henford/Forgotten Hollow/Glimmerbrook - Europe
    Sulani/Tartosa - Tropical Islands
    Coperdale/Moonwood - Baniff & Jasper Canada

And what I've seen so far, San Sequoia reminds me of Vancouver Canada
    Tartosa is Europe and you can add Britechester to Europe, as well. In addition, I think San Myshuno has some Asian vibes (obviously without being all Asian). Maybe it's just the name and the Karaoke that plays with my mind...

In fact, what worlds are typical American except Willow Creek and Strangerville? I can't see how most worlds are American.

Oasis Springs looks nothing like Spain or Mexico, it's a typical New Mexico/Arizona suburb
    Copperdale looks just like it could be on the Rocky Mountains
    Magnolia Promenade and Newcrest both look as much of an American suburb as Willow Creek
    I always assumed Britechester was inspired in Boston (the whole Foxbury vs Britechester seems inspired in MIT v Harvard)
    Del Sol Valley is clearly inspired by Hollywood/LA
    Evergreen Harbor is based off industrial towns in the Northwestern United States
    Brindleton Bay is based on typical New England seafront towns.
    Granite Falls could be in any wooded area in the States or Canada.

The only worlds that are clearly inspired in places outside the US are Windemburg (Germany), Henford on Bagley (England), Tartosa (Croatia with other Mediterranean references), Mt. Komorebi (Japan), Sulani (Polynesia) and Selvadorada (Mexico with other Latin American references).

Britechester has always felt like Oxford, U.K. to me, but I can see how it could be a Boston/Ivy League world too. That one is kind of ambiguous.

Yes, no Sims worlds are exactly the same as actual real world locations. They probably designed Britechester Uni taking references from various Ivy League Universities as well as Oxbridge. Just like San Myshuno is kind of a mix between downtown San Francisco and several Eastern Asian Cities.

Bright Chester was supposed to be uk inspire.
    ECO Lifestyle simmers - make sure you don't bring your kids to the water park on the Water Shut Off day! ;)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I have plans to hopefully put the splash pad on the very small 20×20 lot in Del Sol Valley but I have a feeling it may not fit. :/

My park lot in San myshuno is already complete with the HSY boardwalk/carnival rides.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • KatiardguezKatiardguez Posts: 640 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I’m also English and don’t really mind the whole American game/American world thing but I will say America is just not that interesting and I mean no disrespect! But you see one American suburban town and one American city and you’ve seen a lot of them.
    I think we don’t see the nuances between the different states in the way Americans do, they see ‘oh this is Ohio, this is Arkansas’ where as a lot of us just see it as ‘oh it’s America again’.
    When Paris, London, Istanbul, Lisbon, the Italian countryside, the Swiss Alps, the Egyptian Pyramids, the Brazilian Favelas, Eastern Europe, Thailand, Colombia and Singapore exist then San Francisco isn’t really all that exciting when there has already been so many American locales. I would expect more USA than other worlds but the percentage is a bit high, especially when you consider how popular Windenburg (Germany?), Henford (U.K.), Komorebi (Japan) and Tartosa (Italy?) are. Sulani too. I think the most popular worlds are the non American ones.
    I guess it does help make it feel like your sims aren’t having to take a long haul flight every time they travel somewhere though. And for the content of this specific pack the USA is probably the best choice.

Hi, in my most humble opinion every single country in this Earth is beautiful and interesting by the main fact they all have their own history, their own historic landscapes/places to visit. They are all unique not just by their history and landscapes but also for their cultures and traditions. Every world an individual travels there is an opportunity to see, learn, and experience something new that they haven't before.
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I have plans to hopefully put the splash pad on the very small 20×20 lot in Del Sol Valley but I have a feeling it may not fit. :/

It looks like there are some different splash pad objects: some large, some small. So you will likely be able to fit at least a few of the small ones.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Hope we get more info on the world soon. New worlds are always exciting.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited February 2023

If you look closely enough a mountain is capped with clouds.
    Post edited by catloverplayer on

Is that the Sequoia tree?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

That picture is a joke. :lol:

Probably but I was talking about the mountain in the background.
    They ask him to show a picture of the new world and he just took a screenshot of the sky 😬. I don’t think there’s anything special.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    can sims go to the bridge I wonder, or is it just another set dressing.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    The bridge looks rather long, and if there isn't anything interesting to do on the bridge I doubt there is any reason to cross the bridge.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    The bridge looks rather long, and if there isn't anything interesting to do on the bridge I doubt there is any reason to cross the bridge.

To me it looks like set dressing, but maybe sims will be able to walk or ride their bicycles on it if it links the different neighbourhoods.