Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the main thing you look for when choosing a world to play in?

I gave up taming CAW 5 years ago, but I've been wanting to create a world for so long that I'm now back to get my butt kicked a second time.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one who will be using it, so I'm curious to know what other players find more or less important in worlds; do you prefer mostly finished houses or an abundance of empty lots? An interesting backstory? Lots of "complex" residents or none at all??

I was thinking of making a more modernized, rural island, with lots of trees in-between lots and dirt roads instead of the plain ones (that will be a treat to figure out, sigh); a scattered landscape, with trails that lead into districts that lead to different lots, instead of having a clear grid pattern. No CC. Does this agree or disagree with your preferences?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Sounds good.

I'm kind of lazy when it comes to starting a new world, I prefer most of the lots have something on them. With a few residents living around the world, with a bit of a back story.
  • bobv2bobv2 Posts: 95 Member
    I am in no way creative enough for CAW so I just download worlds from the exchange. It took me a good long while to find one that I liked that ticked almost all the boxes. But I am on the hunt again for a world that does tick ALL the boxes so here have my wish list in case you want to incorporate it.

Medium world
    I prefer to have mostly empty lots so I can customise the buildings I use. But in saying that I don't mind at all having the main community lots, like City Hall and the rabbit hole work places, already in place since they can be a pain to find ones that suit the style of a world. Also some homes are cool.
    I like more open spaces, easy to navigate around but not too linear or grid like so some little laneways and 'districts'
    DIVING SPOTS I have a world I love and is perfect (Ridgeview in Summer but Rflong7) other than that fact it has no diving spots and they can't be placed in it. Also nicer looking shores for ports for house boats, so ones closer to roads etc.
    I like the small town not rural but countryside look.
    I always populate a town with my own sims but I am not opposed to having some families already in a town for the backstory.
  • faceface Posts: 21 Member
    bobv2 wrote: »
    I am in no way creative enough for CAW so I just download worlds from the exchange. It took me a good long while to find one that I liked that ticked almost all the boxes. But I am on the hunt again for a world that does tick ALL the boxes so here have my wish list in case you want to incorporate it.

Medium world
    I prefer to have mostly empty lots so I can customise the buildings I use. But in saying that I don't mind at all having the main community lots, like City Hall and the rabbit hole work places, already in place since they can be a pain to find ones that suit the style of a world. Also some homes are cool.
    I like more open spaces, easy to navigate around but not too linear or grid like so some little laneways and 'districts'
    DIVING SPOTS I have a world I love and is perfect (Ridgeview in Summer but Rflong7) other than that fact it has no diving spots and they can't be placed in it. Also nicer looking shores for ports for house boats, so ones closer to roads etc.
    I like the small town not rural but countryside look.
    I always populate a town with my own sims but I am not opposed to having some families already in a town for the backstory.

Thank you! This is so helpful. I've discussed this topic with a few other people and a lot of them have mentioned diving spots specifically. I am a bit hesitant since those seem more fit for tropical worlds (and I have a more northern atmosphere in mind), but since it seems so desired, I will probably attempt to incorporate it in some way!

I'll probably work a lot on the buildings and households because I simply find it very enjoyable, but of course, emptying the town is always an option for those who prefer to customize the world to their own liking!

If you ever come up with anything to add to your wishlist, please feel free to update me! :)
  • faceface Posts: 21 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Sounds good.

I'm kind of lazy when it comes to starting a new world, I prefer most of the lots have something on them. With a few residents living around the world, with a bit of a back story.

Thank you for your feedback! I'm also a general couch potato but CAW also has a history of turning me into a frustrated gremlin so I avoided it for many years. But I come out swinging this time!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    For me I like larger worlds that are interesting/have something different to the existing worlds, for example worlds that are inspired by different countries, fantasy worlds, etc. It's also pretty important for me to have things to do in the world like nightclubs/bars, and a central park is a must! so then my sims can get out the house and do things and meet other sims
    I get you, diving lots do seem a bit out of place in non tropical worlds. After a whole lot of time yesterday I was able to get one to work in my world, but I have made a small one, not a 64 x 64 lot like most in Isle Paradiso. Maybe for your worlds you could do the same, make several smaller dive sites. I actually have a friend who is a fisherman and goes diving and he did say that even non tropical oceans have amazing and unique underwater landscapes and they can be quite localized, so its not unusual to have a really lush and packed area randomly among not so interesting terrain.

Check out some of Rflong7's worlds if you want to do some more research too. They are hugely popular, as I said my favorite is Ridgeview in Summer, that will give you an idea of what I meant in my wishlist. You will see the shore lines are lovely open sloping beaches but not really suited to houseboat ports, other than that the layout is nice with open space but a few little districts and laneways, nice size too. I also love the aesthetic, lush and well kinda of generic so it suits most stories. Not saying you are building a world depending on what I want, just saying Rflong7 has an example of almost everything on my wishlist.

Also the more I think about it the more I do like the idea of having some pre-made families and houses, and like you said if someone doesn't like them they can just remove them. You could also upload 2 versions of your town when it is made, one with the finished lots and households and another with just blank lots or only some finished lots, having a town with only the necessary community lots finished and everything else empty is also a popular way to upload worlds.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,424 Member
    edited September 2022
    Well, one of the first things I look for in a world I want to play in is the playability of the world. Is all the routing good in the world that I want to stick my sims into. Are my sims going to get stuck. If there’s serious routing issues then it starts to make the world unplayable because sims get stuck and play gets bogged down.

I tend to go for smaller worlds since that tends to work out better on a computer with a combined processing/graphics chip(APU) - now that I’m thinking of getting a gaming computer with a dedicated graphics card, I might look at playing the larger worlds like Great Bear.

Just because townies come pre-installed in a certain particular world doesn’t mean they have to stay in that world. But I always tend to look for townies who are interesting: River McIrish and Bebe Hart in Sunset Valley, Samantha Grey in University, Constance Shelley in Riverview. Your mileage may vary.

I also pick worlds based on what kind of game I’m playing. If it’s a legacy, I might start out in Sunset Valley where I know most of my favorite Sims. Secondly my OC sim can beat the ever lovin’ tar out of Jared Frio. None of my sims like him. If I’m playing a Supernatural Legacy, I might play Moonlight Falls. I haven’t bought Midnight Hollow yet (I don’t like vampires; I’m partial to werewolves). For my Castaway story (I don’t play challenges - I’ve never liked rules), I made myself a nice little island in CAW, no roads, but a mice beach and steep mountains. For Apocalypse stories, I chose “Les Sims 3: Sunset Died”. But for me now it has entirely too much vegetation for a town that has been blown off the map by a nuclear warhead.

I tend to look for worlds that I can populate with my own “family members” in a legacy so that tends to mean multiple 64x64 lots, Enough community lots to place down all the amenities. My sims basically are homebodies so bars aren’t important to my sims. This is part of the reason why I’m starting to make my own worlds, is because that way I can make them specific to how I want them; put in what I need. If I want a specific post apocalyptic world complete with burnt glass terrain from a nuclear weapon being detonated, I can make it myself and not have to ask others.

My next goal is to start making worlds specific to my stories that I can populate with my own sims with CAW. The royal pain right now is getting the roads to link up without causing an annoying routing issue. And frankly, that will take some time to sort out when I start making my own worlds with roads in CAW.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    Ditto to what @LaBlue0314 and @Onverser said. :mrgreen: 👍
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Tiny worlds which have empty lots, and no population are what I look for the most in a custom world.

I enjoy fleshing the worlds out by constructing each building, home and community lot. I populate by either creating or importing in my existing sims who fit my vision of the finished world. This may seem like a lot of work, but in the end, I have a world which feels like a small cozy community filled with simfolk I know. Thus, my game feels more like I am visiting the town and less like I am playing in it.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    edited September 2022
    I deleted my original post!

I was blabbering on about something un-related. o:)
    edited September 2022
    mw1525 wrote: »
    Tiny worlds which have empty lots, and no population are what I look for the most in a custom world.

I enjoy fleshing the worlds out by constructing each building, home and community lot. I populate by either creating or importing in my existing sims who fit my vision of the finished world. This may seem like a lot of work, but in the end, I have a world which feels like a small cozy community filled with simfolk I know. Thus, my game feels more like I am visiting the town and less like I am playing in it.

I do pretty much the same, expect I am a terrible builder so I spend days looking through the exchange getting homes and community buildings that fit my vision. Sometimes I will just use community lots from other worlds and just edit them a little to make them fit better in my world. But I too like putting all the lots and sims in myself as it really makes it feel like 'my world'.

Post edited by bobv2 on
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 372 Member
    I prefer worlds that are populated. If the Sims have backstories than that's a plus. I'll sometimes download unpopulated worlds if I like how it looks but I do not have the patience or creativity to create sims to populate the world with lore, so I avoid them.

It's funny because I like to create my own lore but at that same time I enjoy implanting my own sims into the pre-existing lore of a world and working with it to create new stories with my characters.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

I like worlds with a bit of Everything. Snow and beaches are fun to travel and act like they're on vacations without having to work.
    Now that everything is out, I like Everything in the world. I don't mind adding Store stuff to the worlds if they're not there. I seem to always tweak lots, even ones I enjoy playing.

I hope you have Lots of Fun making worlds in CAW. :cookie:
  • ley65ley65 Posts: 19 Member
    that sounds really nice! personally what i look for in a world is just a lot of public lots. open world, make the most of it y'know? gyms, spas, tattoo parlor, resturant, all of the above? i also personally love when there are already families in the world, but still a decent amount of houses you can buy! i think youll do great with whatever you make though
  • I like to do challenge that have to do with progressing through time like the Through History Challenge and the Decades Challenge so I tend to look for worlds that fit the time period my current generation is in.
  • SimmingWithDanaeSimmingWithDanae Posts: 15 Member
    Honestly, I just want the world to be as big as possible since I prefer rotational play, which can lead to a rapidly increasing population.
  • BaronwynBaronwyn Posts: 15 Member
    A beach, honestly. Game buildings up (parks, restaurants, bookstores), about 2/3 of lots with houses on them and the rest empty for building.

LET ME CONNECT ONE LOT WITH THE LOT NEXT TO IT FOR A BIGGER LOT when I'm building! I'm happy to buy both lots if I can connect them into one lot.
    Sorry about the yelling. My first Sims property was small and I later bought the lot next to it to extend my property before discovering you can't do that. I'm not upset or anything...
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited March 2023
    the premade sims that live in that world so my go to choice is always sunset valley, riverview, and appaloosa plains, but i usually play with other premade sims from my least favorite world for example tristan vangould or sebastian vanderburg
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    In my case, it depends on what I am playing; if I'm playing a Legacy, I go with Sunset Valley. If I'm just raising families, I usually play in Sunset Valley or Riverview. If I'm just playing families, I usually play in Sunset Valley, Riverview, Moonlight Falls, Appaloosa Plains, Hidden Springs or Starlight Shores. If I'm playing a single Sim, I would play in Bridgeport. Basically, it depends on the Household and what sort of game I want to play
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
    I tend to pick worlds based on where I'd go on vacation if I had the money and time to do it. Hence Isla Paradiso. It did throw me for a loop when my Sunset Valley game gave me a challenge to learn the diving skill (diving? maybe I'm remembering the wrong word) and apparently you can't learn that in Sunset Valley. I took the class, but that had no effect on my learning or the challenge. IP hilariously bleeding over into SV.
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    Large, lol with lots of room for different types of neighborhoods. It also needs the roads and lots to be set up like a real town, with enough houses and businesses congregated close to each other. The island worlds are lovely but EVERYTHING is so spread out, the townie sims would take forever to arrive at the community lots.

I thought Lucky Palms was big enough for all the eps, until Rekowcski did a video about all the houses in Midnight Hollow and I realized, um, so many of those houses are beeeeeutiful!! I had already snagged one of them to use in LP but now I want a whole little neighborhood of them! lol

And then, he mentioned he had made a video about CAW, and how EASY it is once you know how!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_CPBJxLjBI suuuuuurrrrrrrrr it's easy, uhuh.

But I might actually take a swing at enlarging Lucky Palms. There's a big flat section that is just waiting for someone to enable that for building. The problem is, I would not be able to share it (as a new world which appears in the drop down list of worlds in the launcher), as it's a paid Store world and sharing those is a permanent lifetime ban for anything to do with EA, now and any future games.

Not sure what would happen if I shared a saved file of the new world? EA wouldn't mind that, cos you'd need the original to play mine. But a saved file might not work if you've enlarged the map?
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I like worlds that look playable to me. That there isn't an overload of vegetation or far too many lots closely crammed together. I also look to see if there have been building cheats used.
    It's very frustrating to begin play in a nice world, only to have it hang and freeze because a sim has become trapped somewhere due to a building cheat or routing problem. Bridgeport routing did that lot with spawning mixologists in NPC apartments and they can't get out, so I removed all NPC doors.

I choose worlds that I think look beautiful as well as look as if they would play well. I like interesting, scenic terrain ( but prefer flat lots for building ) pretty beaches and fishing spots, and areas that look unique.
    I prefer empty worlds with just lots placed so I can build them to my liking. I nearly always end up editing or replacing lots in some worlds, so I figure that I might as well do it myself from the get go.

I try nearly every world I come across. Many don't stay in my game, but a lot do.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • texanskytexansky Posts: 1,346 Member

@stickykisses and @Pary

You might like the world I have built. Alryne Valley is still in beta testing, but it's a completely playable world.

I played Alryne Valley for months and only found a few issues in Alryne Valley - alpha, which have been corrected in beta 1.0. The only thing I found wrong in Alryne Valley - beta 1.0 so far is a spawner that puts a gem in the ocean where a Sim can't collect it. I will be fixing that in beta 1.1.

I'm currently using it to play the Nothing is Free Challenge by Avalikia while I test the world some more.

I welcome anyone who would like to play my world and provide feedback. The world only has a few homes and standard community lots. Most of the residential lots are empty.
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    neato @texansky !! LOVE that you have a mobile home court! I always like a variety of different types of sims, so a poor neighborhood is very welcome. Seriously nice touch that you put that in there. Also looks like you have a good downtown area, with lots of buildings close to each other. That's so important, glad you did that. The pictures on your blog don't really show the layout of the more distant roads away from the downtown, so it's hard to get an idea of how those sims will do, IE can they get to work on time or arrive at the community lots quickly after my own sim visits. Or, that might not even be a consideration if there's plenty of sims living closer to the downtown.

A non-populated world is fine, makes it easy for people to move their own sims in there. How long did it take you to do all that, is this your first world, and was CAW as difficult as it looks?

The layout of a world is so crucial and yet, if the world isn't "close enough" to what I'm trying to achieve then playing my sims in that town is a constant battle, at least for me. That's why I (temporarily but maybe permanently) gave up on Derielle Country -- literally 15 bars that all need to be extensively remodeled PLUS the lot sizes increases the difficulty level. They're all odd sizes and kinda on the small size (think 22 x 32) which means it would be super hard to find cc builds with the right Twinbrook New Orleans esthetic to slip in there. So yea, gave up.

I'm currently in Lucky Palms and have almost finished tweaking it while still managing to play various sims, and expect it to all work out so probably won't be in the market for a new town for awhile. Found enough room for several spooky sims when Supernatural gets installed. But while playing I keep wishing it was "a little bigger" LOLOLOLOL And now I'm kinda wanting a little bit bigger "isolated oasis" area. omg the desire for more never stops! :D

It occurred to me I could try my hand at making a desert world, and share that, no reason why I couldn't? Because it sorta looks easier to start from scratch rather than figure out how to get LP into CAW.