Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where's the Funny?

Β«1
GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
The Sims is such a silly, ridiculous game, I'm surprised there isn't more comedy in the blogs, stories, and gameplay.

We used to have a bit of it on the forums with threads like the Obnoxious Psycho Sausage and the Townie Fashion Police, but I don't see stuff like that anymore.

I tried searching it out with suggestions like someone should start a comedy blog from their Sims' perspective (which a few people seemed to really like), but nobody took me up on it. I tried writing funny/punny descriptions to Sims that even the Gurus thought were funny, but it never caught on.

So where is the funny that is catching on? Some others out there must be into comedy. Where are you? :(
Post edited by Gigge on

Comments

• PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member

I try to put the funny in almost all of my posts but apparently the funny stays funny in my head and less funny in the post. So I guess I'm a funny hoarder.

• GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    I try to put the funny in almost all of my posts but apparently the funny stays funny in my head and less funny in the post. So I guess I'm a funny hoarder.

I'm a funny farmer myself, but having trouble digging much up lately. I know there are some Simmers out there with GREAT senses of humor, but I can't find them anymore.

Maybe I lost my sense of humor.
  • SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2023
    When it comes to the game itself, I most enjoy the sort of humor which surprises me, rather than the sort I create myself. Sims can do the most ridiculous, side-splittingly funny things when left to their own devices long enough.

However, a good bit of it is very situational, and wouldn't be nearly as hysterically funny if I described it in a post compared to watching it on screen. A furious witch stomping around in her basement spellcasting room in an Angry mood, after heading down for some potion making only to discover her teenaged son had left the cauldron full of macaroni and cheese, is a lot more entertaining to watch than to read about.

Thanks, @MightySprite. Perfect. I'll look into those.
    When it comes to the game itself, I most enjoy the sort of humor which surprises me, rather than the sort I create myself. Sims can do the most ridiculous, side-splittingly funny things when left to their own devices long enough.

However, a good bit of it is very situational, and wouldn't be nearly as hysterically funny if I described it in a post compared to watching it on screen. A furious witch stomping around in her basement spellcasting room in an Angry mood, after heading down for some potion making only to discover her teenaged son had left the cauldron full of macaroni and cheese, is a lot more entertaining to watch than to read about.

Right @SteveBridger, I get that. But there are people who can describe it in a humorous way. Some even make not so funny moments hilarious. I'm just wondering where they are. So much seems to be focused on drama.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    edited February 2023
    Thanks for the shout out, @mightysprite. I try to put a lot of humour in my Sim 66 story, interspersed with the drama. Sometimes I create a Sim and think "there's no way this is going to be anything other than a comedy character".

I can't speak much for other writers/gamers but some do come across as more introverted and are drawn to writing tragic or emosh stories. I'm kind of the opposite; more extroverted irl and drawn to comedy-drama. I love farce and misunderstandings...The Sims provides a lot of gameplay for that, I find.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited February 2023

Thanks for mention @mightysprite

aand yeah my stories can get little emo and tragic at times πŸ˜‚ maybe little bittersweet as someone once said

but I do also enjoy me some dark comedy and silly happenings in between where I encounter them

as for the subject

I find myself enjoying Post the last screenshot you took in The Sims 4 quite a bit

always something fun to see there :) otherwise I tend to go by recent discussions these days

and try to spot when I am mentioned or quoted but site sometimes doesn't give me the notification πŸ˜…

⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited February 2023
    Hmm I don't think my stories are exactly comedy, but they're kind of lighter than many other stories that I've read. I think for me it's the same as mentioned above that the comedy comes from the little moments in the game and they're sometimes hard to capture. I'll keep the comedy aspect in mind for my future stories, it's definitely something that I'd like to show more.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited February 2023
    I used to follow the NPC fashion police thread, I think it is still active.

I made quite a few stories in the past, mostly as videos/machinima, but also on my blogs. Not focusing on tragic but mostly not directly funny either. More soap drama, I guess. I stopped as it was too hard building an audience. A few gave good feedback encouraging me to go on - bless them! - but in the end the views would never justify the amount of time going into those projects. I guess a forum thread would be different though.

If you are willing to confuse funny with silly, you might like my recent series The Bagged Talent show, basically being a parody on RL shows like The Masked Singer, but also with quite a few silly moments as the bagged premade sim participating wear a paper bag while performing their talents, to hide their identity. Sort of simlish silliness, but perhaps not the biggest laugh the world ever saw, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2023

I think the sims crowd has changed. I wasn't around but from what I know It seems older sims games and the players were more into comedy. As time went on it shifted and if you notice most players are now into realism, drama and seriousness. I see a continuous demand for more realism in sims on social media. And the stories I see or watch simmers make on YouTube or different places are usually centered around tragedies and serious topics.At least more than before.

People are also very very sensitive which is another reason I believe comedy has died. It's so easy for a joke or something said in a humorous way to turn offensive to someone FAST lol. And some simmers are probably afraid of loosing followers or the cancel culture if a joke is taken the wrong way. I witnessed a popular simmer (Very sweet person it seems) get "canceled" and chased off of social media for one funny thing she did in the game and shared and people took it the wrong way. I miss seeing her game play and posts. She saw the humor is everything and her game play always brought a smile.

I'm a very serious person myself in real life so I don't particularly like comedy but I can have a good laugh and appreciate the humor in things 😁

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Oh, wow. Thanks for all the responses.

@Kellog_J_Kellog, I like your writing style. It keeps the story moving.

@SimmingGal, That's cute how you're delving deep into the lives of the pre-mades. Bella goes missing for years and Mortimer says nothing, but Mortimer misses one seance . . .

@Musteni, I hope you do explore more comedy. It can be quite fun.

@Simmerville, you said your videos were silly, but you didn't warn me they were a bit surreal, lol. It's like watching a dubbed Japanese gameshow in a dream.

@Babykittyjade, your comments are insightful. I have noticed an increasing demand for realism, but I didn't realize that was coming mostly from the younger crowd. I'm sorry that Simmer got chased off. It seems to happen for all kinds of reasons.

Did you know that in the traditional theater, there are ever only two types of performances? It is either a Comedy or a Drama.

In a Comedy, the story has a happy ending.
    In a Drama, the story has a sad ending.

Funny had nothing to do with Comedy. Fun and probably irrelevant facts for the nerds among us. <3
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Did you know that in the traditional theater, there are ever only two types of performances? It is either a Comedy or a Drama.

Funny had nothing to do with Comedy. Fun and probably irrelevant facts for the nerds among us. <3

I appreciate that nerdy fact, thanks :) In my RL home, there are two masks on the wall, one happy and one sad - I think they are the old greek(?) symbols referring to your fact.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

And all the actors were men. How tragic. :P
    edited February 2023
    Gigge wrote: Β»
    @SimmingGal, That's cute how you're delving deep into the lives of the pre-mades. Bella goes missing for years and Mortimer says nothing, but Mortimer misses one seance . . .
    :joy::joy:
    yeah Bella has tendency to create drama of things
    I figure Mortimer is used to it by this point in time
    Gigge wrote: Β»

And all the actors were men. How tragic. :P

Yes, sadly this is true. I'm so glad that has changed!
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    You're welcome @Simmingal and @Kellogg_J_Kellogg :) thanks for all the free entertainment

@Gigge I hope you're having fun! :)
    gen3-banner.png

Well by this definition, my sims really live for the drama :lol:

I appreciate that nerdy fact, thanks :) In my RL home, there are two masks on the wall, one happy and one sad - I think they are the old greek(?) symbols referring to your fact.

Yes, by that description of the masks, it is the Greek symbolic masks for Drama and Comedy.
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited February 2023

Hi @Gigge a Sims comedy blog sounds like a fantastic idea!

I love comedy too and have been wanting to make a comedy Sims story or blog for ages. Unfortunately just haven't had time yet due to work and other commitments. The main challenge is having the time to keep updating the story regularly. If I do eventually get round to it I will let you know.

In the Off Topic Chat section there are several games on the go which provide opportunity for a quick bit of humour and making your own. I would especially recommend Respond As Your Sim, Caption the Profile Picture Above, and Caption the Signature Above.

Another really fun one that is played occasionally are the SimSequence games. Please feel free to join in when there's another one on. πŸ™‚

Hi @Gigge a Sims comedy blog sounds like a fantastic idea!
    I love comedy too and have been wanting to make a comedy Sims story or blog for ages. Unfortunately just haven't had time yet due to work and other commitments. The main challenge is having the time to keep updating the story regularly. If I do eventually get round to it I will let you know.
    In the Off Topic Chat section there are several games on the go which provide opportunity for a quick bit of humour and making your own. I would especially recommend Respond As Your Sim, Caption the Profile Picture Above, and Caption the Signature Above.
    Another really fun one that is played occasionally are the SimSequence games. Please feel free to join in when there's another one on. πŸ™‚

@WhatCobblers, thanks for the invite to the Off Topic stuff. Yes, please let me know if you do start a comedy blog. I can always use a laugh.
    I think the sims crowd has changed. I wasn't around but from what I know It seems older sims games and the players were more into comedy. As time went on it shifted and if you notice most players are now into realism, drama and seriousness. I see a continuous demand for more realism in sims on social media. And the stories I see or watch simmers make on YouTube or different places are usually centered around tragedies and serious topics.At least more than before.
    People are also very very sensitive which is another reason I believe comedy has died. It's so easy for a joke or something said in a humorous way to turn offensive to someone FAST lol. And some simmers are probably afraid of loosing followers or the cancel culture if a joke is taken the wrong way. I witnessed a popular simmer (Very sweet person it seems) get "canceled" and chased off of social media for one funny thing she did in the game and shared and people took it the wrong way. I miss seeing her game play and posts. She saw the humor is everything and her game play always brought a smile.
    I'm a very serious person myself in real life so I don't particularly like comedy but I can have a good laugh and appreciate the humor in things 😁

That's a very interesting and insightful post. I've been with The Sims since Sims 1 and there was a lot of silliness and some comedy built in to that game. Of course The Sims is a spin off from Sim City 3000 which had its comedy rolling news as you played the game. I don't think the game was ever meant to be deadly serious but some gamers have gone in that direction. The beauty of The Sims is that it can be played (mostly) the way you want it. I see on the General Discussion forum that there are some very strong opinions about which way the game should go: Some want more supernatural gameplay and others want more gritty and dark realism. Some want it a family friendly game and others want it to go 15+ or even 18+. You can't please everyone.

I agree to a point that comedy in real life is dying...I won't say it's completely dead...and that the current social and political climate in many countries makes it hard to do comedy without receiving backlash. It's no wonder so many who try, with good intentions, find that backlash too much to handle and give up. Speaking purely for myself I plough on with my writing in my style and accept constructive criticism but I won't give in to a mob trying to cancel me. I will not be chased off social media either. I suppose that anyone trying to do that to me must not be a nice person and I learned a long, long time ago that you do not give in to a bully. But I empathise with those who are trying to be creative with good intentions to entertain and who are being hounded by those who have taken things the wrong way.

I've been to a few stand up comedy shows where that description was very apt: There was little that was funny and the happy ending was that it did eventually end and I got to go home.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    You're right. We have lost some of our sense of humor while dealing with the effects of a worldwide pandemic, lockdowns, political upheaval that goes far beyond our respective borders, natural disasters the likes of which we have never seen before, supply chain issues, inflation, plus a crazy number of other things we cannot control. Like a lot of other players, I have always turned to my gaming to distract myself from getting bogged down and provide a much-needed distraction from Real Life. And I am guilty of allowing myself to give a voice to some of my frustrations here in the Forum. I went back to some of my past postings and realized I needed to chill out and stop being so negative and snarky whenever EA/Maxis failed to meet my expectations for Sims4. The teams are made up of people who are dealing with the same stresses and limitations as the players and deserve our gratitude and support for everything they do.

I took a break from entering the negativity threads and focused on the positive ones. And the funny ones especially have awakened the inner kid in me that still adores this game. I appreciate the players that take the time and effort to share their funny moments with the rest of us here. Please don't stop sharing because humor is always a good defense whenever life gets a bit overwhelming. I forgot that for a while. But since changing my attitude, I feel ten times better these days. Thank you for the wakeup call. <3
    @Paigeisin5, awesome post. I hope you find your funny bone again. We could all use a few laughs. And, yeah, we're all going through something so a little empathy can go a long way.