Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whats up with the comment box?

SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
edited February 2023 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
It displays like this instead of the usual when in some threads
TEs3xTK.png
isn't it supposed to be like
rHh4WYA.png

bbcode also doesn't work with comments written to that other comment box
⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    edited February 2023

Did you way we type comments change on the forum? I am on my phone and the typing window looks different. Quoting people doesn't work. The buttons to make text bold, italic,... are gone. They now appear for a second when I highlight typed text and are then covered by the box to copy/paste text. So it is impossible to use those codes without manually typing them.

Is anyone else experiencing this or is my phone acting up?

Post edited by EA_Solaire on
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member

Yeah they must have changed it. I browse the forums on my phone much more than on my pc and noticed it was different yesterday.

I don't like it.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member

I've had the same problem on my phone too.

edited February 2023

@Simmingal that is exactly what it is like for me. I don't like the change. Guess I'll have to stick with plain text at the moment. At least I can still tag people in posts

Edit : tagging someone took 3 attempts in this new type window, it never failed before today.

• PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    edited February 2023

If I double tap words that I've written I have the option to bold, link, etc.

@PhilSims double tapping doesn't work. Tapping once does but the box is immediately blocked by a box to copy/paste text. It might depend on the phone because the copy/paste option appears everytime I type in any program. It just never conflicted with something before.

• SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member

Testing

also on mobile, highlighted the word and bold,italics options popped up. For spoilers and quote tags you have to click the paragraph symbol in the text box and click the quotations

but quoting someone directly seems to not work

• PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member

@Atreya33

I'm on Android and double tapping works fine. The two boxes are separated for me, the copy and paste box above and the formatting box below.

edited February 2023

anything bbcode doesn't work meaning pictures etc do not work in this comment box

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

I'm having the same issue plus quoting is also broken.

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

Same issues for me also.

@EA_Cade sorry to tag you but could you please tell me where are we supposed to post bugs relating to the forum. I know bugs about the game are supposed to go to EA HQ but what about issues with the forum itself.

Since the changes yesterday I am unable to quote another post. I can only use the bold/italic option on the first line of a post because in the first line the option is displayed below the text and thus not blocked by other boxes. I would like to report this in the proper log.

edited February 2023
    I think using BBCode is broken and thats why all this is impossible in the other comment box
    it seems to have its own different coding thing to do with links etc which is strange
    still wondering if it appears on pc only if you were to thread with your phone first
    cause that would explain why only some threads have it as opposed to all
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I haven't noticed that as it shows up the proper way for me but I have noticed that some members have show up as a bold black while others still show up as the blue color but at least we can still click on their name.

An example would be the comment that @Atreya33 just made tagging @EA_Cade.
    wrppuUml.png

@Atreya33, the Forum Ideas and Feedback is where we report any issues with the forum... :)

I believe this is only an issue for the mobile version as it's not happing on their pc and your still able to quote and use bold on pc but not mobile.

What I've noticed is

You can bold on the mobile version if you use the backwards p symbol and you have 4 degrees of boldness. I think their testing this on mobile only.

I've seen an img option on mobile but haven't tested it yet. I'm hoping this will let us upload pictures from our phones and other devices. Again I think their testing this on mobile only.

Using the tab key on my phone is breaking the page and making the page really long. This is definitely a bug.

The comment box on the pc version looks the same as it always has thank goodness.

it does most of the time but ive noticed on pc version it sometimes changes out of nowhere like in screenshot above

it might be because forum is drafting the comments i attempted to write on phone though so the comment box stays when i visit discussion later on pc

I would just like to know if changing comment box was intended (as in it just didn't work as they thought it would) or completely accidental (as in why the heck is this doing that)

also would be nice to know if we can expect it to be fixed or not 😅

• EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,262 EA Community Manager
    edited February 2023

Hey all!

Sorry for the delay, I'm Austin based so I've been without power from Wednesday until now due to the ice storm.

Yes, we recently switched our comments/posting format from BBCode to Rich Text as the BBCode system we were using was no longer supported (I literally had power long enough Wednesday to flip the switch to Rich Text and then I lost power 😑).

Also, @catloverplayer you should be able to quote now, I just enabled it.

A few answers:

• Rich Text will only work on new posts, old posts haven't been updated to use Rich Text as it will break any BBCode they used.
    • Please let me know in this thread if you notice any bugs/issues with the new format system so I can flag them to our forum host.
    • Linking images now uses the normal image URL instead of the BBCode version.
      • If you're using Imgur that would be the top 2 options shown on the share screen: Image Link and Direct Link.

Hit me with any other Q's and I'll try to answer as quickly as possible.

Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member

The comment box didn't look any different to me until I came here this morning, now it looks like @Simmingal's example without any bbcode or editing tools available. I don't think it's a mobile issue since I'm on a PC and never use my phone for internet usage. Another change I noticed is the statement 'you are allowed to use bbcode' which usually appears beneath the comment box, is missing. However, highlighting a word/sentence/phrase does bring up limited editing tools for me too as mentioned by others.

@EA_Cade thank you for clarification :)

and virtual hot packs! my goodness power outages can be trying i hope you're alright

so if I understood right the old bbcodes work? (as in old story threads etc won't be affected?) but from now on bbcode is not supported and we use this new system?

it would be nice to have thread that explains how to quote people add images spoilers center text etc with this new system since it seems to be tricky

also wondering about the emoji button since sometimes it shows up other times not 😅

oh quote works now

can we still just quote parts of post somehow?

(pardon this tech illiterate crumplebottom for asking too many questions 😅)

• EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,262 EA Community Manager
    edited February 2023
    Correct, old threads don't have Rich Text forced on them because 90% of the forum would be unreadable.

We're currently seeing some issues with Rich text only showing intermittently on the full site as well, which has already been flagged to our host for review. Resolved.

Making a post then editing it sometimes reverts to the old BBCode options, this is under investigation.

I haven't had a chance to play with the new system that much (my poor inbox has 3 days of backlog to sort through). Once I do, I'll try and get a full post up on the new features and update the older outdated posts that mention BBCode tips.
    Post edited by EA_Cade on
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    I'm seconding @Simmingal's request for a mini-tutorial on how to use the new RTF system.

(Let's see if this posts. I keep getting " Body is 4 characters too short." no matter how much I write.)