Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Friendly warning: Sims 3 store stuff and the EA App

Since some players are now being forced to use the EA App, with no option to go back to Origin, I wanted to note that any store content installed while playing through Origin will NOT work while playing through the EA App. The content shows up as boxes rather than thumbnails in the launcher and then won't load in-game.

The only workaround I know of is to download fresh copies of the items and reinstall them. I tried reusing a fresh Origin-downloaded copy of Midnight Hollow, and it also showed as a box; when trying to install it, I received the "make sure your game is updated" error.

It's also a good idea to install the store stuff into a clean folder, or at least to clear out the .ebc files in DCCache first. Otherwise, the old files will take up space and possibly cause more problems. The launcher and the game could still be trying to read them even if their content doesn't load.

Custom content appears to be unaffected.

Comments

• SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,140 Member
    I just noticed this now, that store content is gone... So I looked into my DCCache folder and found that it has both .dbc files and .ebc files. I got a little confused there on what I could safely remove, and what I couldn't. A search told me the .dbc files deal with third party content (custom content) and the .ebc files are the store content. So only clear out the .ebc files is what I assume to be the right thing to do.
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    I just noticed this now, that store content is gone... So I looked into my DCCache folder and found that it has both .dbc files and .ebc files. I got a little confused there on what I could safely remove, and what I couldn't. A search told me the .dbc files deal with third party content (custom content) and the .ebc files are the store content. So only clear out the .ebc files is what I assume to be the right thing to do.

Did it work?
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,140 Member
    @Eca I think so. I was able to re-download all my store content and install it again without problem. I'm not sure if it works in game yet though, because I haven't really made much use of the store content in most of my save files.
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • sleepydroopsleepydroop Posts: 1 New Member
    > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > Since some players are now being forced to use the EA App, with no option to go back to Origin, I wanted to note that any store content installed while playing through Origin will NOT work while playing through the EA App. The content shows up as boxes rather than thumbnails in the launcher and then won't load in-game.
    >
    > The only workaround I know of is to download fresh copies of the items and reinstall them. I tried reusing a fresh Origin-downloaded copy of Midnight Hollow, and it also showed as a box; when trying to install it, I received the "make sure your game is updated" error.
    >
    > It's also a good idea to install the store stuff into a clean folder, or at least to clear out the .ebc files in DCCache first. Otherwise, the old files will take up space and possibly cause more problems. The launcher and the game could still be trying to read them even if their content doesn't load.
    >
    > Custom content appears to be unaffected.

Do you mind elaborating on "download fresh copies of the items and reinstall them"? Fresh copies from the TS3 website whilst using the EA App?
  • redwingsgirl514redwingsgirl514 Posts: 13 New Member
    I redownloaded my store content, fresh copies, restarted my game, and nothin'.
    Tried downloading it every way imaginable, through the Sims launcher and the downloads dashboard, and it doesn't matter. It's not showing up in my game. And from what I've read, this has been a problem since Nov. of last year. So what, have they just decided that the EA app doesn't work right for TS3, stinks to be us? I'm putting so much time for a work around that actually works for me, and I'm having no luck. I'm ready to make the jump to Steam because EA is too frustrating to deal with. But dang I'm going to miss that store content. And I hate that I've spent all this money and can't use the items and EA doesn't care.

I will try deleting the .ebc files, though right now I forget all the files another fix had me delete before redownloading store content.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Has anybody found a fix for this issue yet? I don't want to play the game without my store content.

I'm currently still on Origin after switching back from the EA app because of this issue with store content being removed. I don't want forcing back to it if it doesn't work properly.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Has anybody found a fix for this issue yet? I don't want to play the game without my store content.

I'm currently still on Origin after switching back from the EA app because of this issue with store content being removed. I don't want forcing back to it if it doesn't work properly.

@Sharonia, @EA_Cade has a comment in another thread about the EA app that I will post the quote here as well as the link to the other thread for you to read and hopefully follow as well... :)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1005204/ea-app-required-now#latest
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    No worries at all.

We are also currently looking for EA app error reports ID's for the issues players were seeing with Sims 2 Ultimate Collection showing as Double Deluxe or as a ZIP file instead of the normal game install.

Additionally, we are also seeking report ID's for players having issues with the Sims 3 store content not installing.

If you can provide these ID's (or any other issues) please report them on Answers HQ
    here so that hopefully we can get these errors corrected before migrations are resumed in the future.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »

@Sharonia, @EA_Cade has a comment in another thread about the EA app that I will post the quote here as well as the link to the other thread for you to read and hopefully follow as well... :)

No worries at all.

We are also currently looking for EA app error reports ID's for the issues players were seeing with Sims 2 Ultimate Collection showing as Double Deluxe or as a ZIP file instead of the normal game install.

Additionally, we are also seeking report ID's for players having issues with the Sims 3 store content not installing.

If you can provide these ID's (or any other issues) please report them on Answers HQ
    here so that hopefully we can get these errors corrected before migrations are resumed in the future.

Thank you. It's good to know they are aware of the issue. I hope it can be fixed. :)
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    It looks like at least some of the people who were previously forced to use the EA App can now reinstall Origin, so if anyone wants to revert, it's worth trying again now.

@sleepydroop Yes, I meant download your store content anew while you're running Sims 3 through the EA App. You can download them from the website or from the in-game Downloads Dashboard, which you can open from the Main Menu.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »

No worries at all.

Thank you. It's good to know they are aware of the issue. I hope it can be fixed. :)

You're welcome @Sharonia...😀
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited February 2023
    Never mind. I've deleted my post here.
    Post edited by DivinylsFan on
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I actually have a whole different issue concerning one Store item: Brunch at the Old Mill. It shows up in my purchased history, but I can't install it because I don't own it and it was gifted to me.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    @HillyBeth Can you download the set from your purchase history? Also it's not a lot, it's just the items. But the simguru who built it made it available on the exchange. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8314506
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Does anyone know if I'm able to connect my steam account to my Sims 3 Store / EA account? Does the store DLC work on steam copies? At this point I'm thinking of just waiting for the next big sims steam sale, 'cuz I remember in the past Sims 3 DLC was hella cheap. If I can re-buy all the EPs for under $60 I might just buy them again on steam. My store DLC is worth a lot more than the money I've spent on EPs 'cuz I usually always bought those on sale in the first place. Heck I got a lot of Sims 3 EPs on humble bundle.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    @Sheepiling Yes you can use all the store content with your Steam Sims 3 game. I have been doing that since I first bought it in 2016.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    @Sheepiling Yes you can use all the store content with your Steam Sims 3 game. I have been doing that since I first bought it in 2016.

Thank you!! I hope they put it on sale on steam for all the packs as really cheap again soon. It's the least they could do after everything they've done to our games by forcing us to move to EA App before it was ready to handle their own DLC...
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    I use Steam when I play The Sims 3, and I have my Store Content installed (I haven't brought a new EP or SP since October 2021, when I got my laptop, but that is because my Steam Wallet is low on funds)
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited March 2023
    There is actually a way to keep using Origin on the PC, if you want to or need to because you want to keep using CAW https://at.tumblr.com/damienf519/im-able-to-stay-with-origin/04356hyxnfz6
  • lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,863 Member
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    There is actually a way to keep using Origin on the PC, if you want to or need to because you want to keep using CAW https://at.tumblr.com/damienf519/im-able-to-stay-with-origin/04356hyxnfz6

This is such a help! I’ll be trying this later. I was forced to get EA App and my store content launched fine but I don’t trust it to stay that way!
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    It is said to be fixed and I don't have the issue anymore.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr