Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the sims comfort you in away ?

2...Next

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2022
    I wouldn't use the word comforting per se but it has definitely been a good stress releiver at times. I am someone who gets stressed and nervous 😓 easily but I find writing, dance,family, reading, prayer and definitely music most comforting. I think there is a disconnect with sims because it's all virtual and I love to see, touch, hold, or engage with real life things. However, there were times when sims did help, especially cc shopping retail therapy 😆

Also I think I get too tied into storylines for sims to relieve stress or bring comfort. When I'm stressed I like to do things that requires me to think about "nothing" lol and just relax my brain. But as a story teller I can't help but deep dive into all of these scenarios and stories and relationships once I start playing. And building is too frustrating and time consuming to relieve any stress😆 even though my end results are always really good and I always end up doing it anyway.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    edited November 2022
    Not really a "comfort", but more of a "I don't want my happiness to end, so I will make my own universe." lol
    I tend to base my sims off characters in books/shows/etc. that I've really enjoyed, but have since come to an end. This way, I can kind of continue their stories and continue to enjoy their universe. :)
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    No, I don't use the Sims as a substitute for IRL human connection or emotional support.

The Sims is like any other diversion + enthusiast hobby.

Pretty sure the OP did not use the word comfort to mean "surrogate for all human contact" but that's ok if you wanted to assure everyone that you don't use it in an unhealthy way.

A lot of people have found it therapeutic in addition to fun.

Many hobbies are therapeutic as well as fun.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    No, I don't use the Sims as a substitute for IRL human connection or emotional support.

The Sims is like any other diversion + enthusiast hobby.

Pretty sure the OP did not use the word comfort to mean "surrogate for all human contact" but that's ok if you wanted to assure everyone that you don't use it in an unhealthy way.

A lot of people have found it therapeutic in addition to fun.

Many hobbies are therapeutic as well as fun.

Thank you, I better understand OP's intention now.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited November 2022
    Also for future reference in case anyone is interested about the differences in human lives and experiences, some people can choose to limit human contact for various reasons. Does that mean it's unhealthy or makes the person unhappy? Well that depends on the individual, however for me personally I being of the personality type where I attract certain negative personality types who deem me as "weak" or an "easy target" to take advantage of, manipulate, verbally abuse and so on is why my preferred lifestyle is being a loner. Not to mention I enjoy my own company anyway.

Life experiences have taught me that a lot of people lack empathy, sympathy, good will, authenticity, respect, communication skills, maturity, etc. A lot of people are quick to judge others while never looking within their own selves. Obviously this isn't everyone or everyone that I met. But some of the deciding factors of why I don't seek human connection on a deep level. However if I come across someone I'm compatible with, sure I'll spend time to get to know them which happened a few times in my life thus far but either I moved away, they moved away or we both lived in different places, lol. Everyone will have their own experiences whether good or bad and reason(s) for why they choose how they live.

I'm not afraid of being alone (though I'm never alone spiritually speaking) and I embrace it. I'm happy, at peace and I'm not lonely because I'd rather be alone than unhappy with frenemies and toxic family members.

"And here I go again on my own
    Goin' down the only road I've ever known
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone"
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,288 Member
    Back in my Sims2 days, I went through a horrific two and a half year period wherein after my Dad passed away, I lost another person from my circle about every six weeks to two months. Lost about 16 people, in all, including having to put my dog down during this time. Sims was a life-saver, if you will. A moment to escape the grief, if only for a little while. When Spock died of old age in my game, I learned a harsh reality. You can't plead with Grimmie to bring them back when they die of old age. I cried about as much as his wife and children did. I deleted that game save.

So, yes, having this game to play during bad times is in its own way therapeutic. I do suppose this fostered my need to restart when things go horribly wrong. At least I have some control.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    Yes - I struggled a lot with my mental health when I was in University. I lived far out of town in a horrible, cold apartment and every day I would wake up in absolute misery, wishing I was anywhere else, unable to cope with the realities of my new 'adult' life. Eventually it got so bad that I started having panic attacks every time I had to think about leaving the house.

Before that, sims was just something I played for fun, but during that time I got absolutely immersed. It was a way for me to escape my reality & live a different life that wasn't so miserable. I absolutely loved it, I made sims that had lives so different from mine that you couldn't even compare them, and even though my laptop broke the year I finished college and I lost all of those saves, I still think about those sims and the stories I invented of their complex lives. It sounds kind of silly, I'm sure, but they became really real in my head for that period.
    s54gWQ5.png
  • Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 692 Member
    I played Sims 1 years ago. I purchased and installed Sims 4 at the beginning of the pandemic, but my computer could not handle it. I was SOOOO stressed out with finals in December that I was having panic attacks. I decided to try Sims 4 on my new computer and every time I had a panic attack, I let myself play for an hour. I am still having panic attacks even though classes are over, and I am letting myself take this break with the Sims. I especially like the Moonwood Mills world!
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 371 Member
    I consider the sims as one of those comfort games in that it's something I can get lost in and forget about whatever it is that's bothering me irl.

Escapism at its finest.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I use it to escape from my stressful world and decompress.
  • AdamBurtSimsAdamBurtSims Posts: 37 Member
    It kind of.
    I'm a British Geek who love Bella Goth, Behr sisters, Liberty Lee, Summer Holidays, Pleasant sisters and other Sims wafius/girlfriends. And like his Sims cats.g8pvk4adgueh.jpg
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited January 2023
    When there are no news about the other games for years, it's so depressing.
    How many decades after Mass Effect 3 (2012) will I have to wait for a real Mass Effect game ?

At least The Sims has always something new to announce almost every months.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,821 Member
    Yes, it has. Very much so.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker