Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lucky Girl - Completed

Comments

• hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    edited January 2023
    @DaniRose2143 Thank you!
    that is such a good point about the cocktails, I honestly wasn't even thinking like that when I wrote it, but it really comes together! I really was just remembering those stupid bars I used to go to in college that had those boutique cocktails and items on the menu with names that are totally unrelated to what ingredients are in it. it always feels like a way to justify a higher price! It does reflect Evie's encounter with Stephen, as he frames himself one way, "I don't want to be one of those weird men." and yet is something else behind it, really, as Evie picks up the vibe that she's not going to get to leave until she kisses him. I suppose that's a pressure she's put on herself too, to push past any lingering feelings she has for Jude, so even if she didn't want to kiss Stephen she would have anyway. She's got everything twisted in her head right now..

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg I found it the very same as you. There was always this rhetoric of "oh no pressure! You don't have to do it" and yet if you didn't partake you'd be excluded from the fun everyone else was having. I never smoked either, only once when I was about sixteen and I hated the taste so much that I started crying - embarrassing. But there was another time that I tried to do my first shot to impress a boy and got shocked my how strong it was and couldn't finish it in one go, which I also felt was mega embarrassing. I just hadn't accepted that these things weren't for me, and I think that's indicative of that age. Evie goes through it too, only she's more eager to impress than I was, really.
    you've got it! She can't move on yet, and perhaps nothing else will be good enough until she gets real closure
    s54gWQ5.png
    Lucky Girl Part 2 Chapter 4 is out now!

Evie's having a tough time taking on criticism at college.. not to mention that nasty Dean Cullen in the mix

https://luckygirlstory.wordpress.com/2023/01/21/chapter-four-2/

VypR5sR.png
    U2kNILi.png
    XbvqbNm.png

s54gWQ5.png
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    Haha wow
    He is literally arguing with her about the pronunciation of her own name, and then he doesn't get what needs to change about how he gives criticism

!!

That is an interesting question, though, what does Evie want to hear about aspects of her work that do have flaws (as everyone's does) ? She doesn't want to hear that they're perfect... what does she want to hear?
    @mightysprite I know!!
    Evie's struggling a bit here - she honestly doesn't know what she wants to hear. I guess just no criticism at all. She's holding very tightly to the idea that she's a good artist and is having a hard time accepting that she might need to work on her craft - very much a symptom of a gifted child. Yikes!
    s54gWQ5.png
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,809 Member
    @hellohannah2 Ugh, Dean.
    As aggravating and generally disgusting as Dean is, he has a point. Evie is going to need to learn how to take criticism, whether it's deserved or not. When you put yourself out there creatively you're going to draw the Dean's of the world. On the other hand though his trying to use that as an excuse for his being rude and offensive is even more disgusting than what he says or how he says it. That is really slimy. No Dean, that is not an excuse, at all!
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Get your hand off her, Dean!
    Following on from the screen caps discussion on the Art of Storytelling thread here's my responses using your pictures.

U3ZEo7F.jpg
    This is one of the prettiest Sims I've seen. Are those custom eyes? Shane is so out of his league!

6mQ5gty.jpg
    You can tell Evie is becoming more positive about her style by this outfit alone. Bright yellow and THAT skirt. Compared with how underplayed her look was the previous Summer she's now...in my opinion...the best dressed character in the story. Not sure about the pom pom socks though. Character development through clothing choices.

t1OkoBF.jpg
    This guy could have a whole backstory written about him. Why is he so bored? What's he thinking? Who's bored him stiff like that? How long will he have to put up with the people around him before he loses his temper? So many mysteries...I hope we see him again.
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg I'm cackling at your commentary of our cafeteria friend! Who knows who he is, what his story is - he's a man of mystery, but you will definitely see him again because he's a random deco sim i got ages ago - I throw him in the background constantly. I bet if you go back through old chapters you'll see him there too - he's a fixture of this series :smiley:

I'm so glad you noticed the clothes!! I've been having fun doing a lot with all of their clothing and hair choices, asking myself what they'd actually choose for themselves and what it says about their personalities - and with that, how it can illustrate change too.

Kelly always chose clothes that didn't really suit her, were too old for her or just plain awkward looking - and she doesn't know how to do her hair and makeup right either, she always looks a bit off because she's more fixated on how she wants to come across and who she wants to be rather than who she is - she's obsessed with being older and mature and thinks she needs to look a certain way to portray that.

Shane is just tracksuits and gym clothes all the time, ready for football practice, a practical haircut, but also a style that's the same as every other young man his age because he's not interested in style.

Claire, pastels, usually blue, can have feminine details like lace, florals and ruffles and usually something intricate with her hair. She's supposed to have a real soft, femininity about her but also naivety

Evie, of course, in part 1 was all plain shorts, plain t shirts and the same shoes every time. She didn't know who she was, and didn't want to wear anything that'd make her stand out. Maybe a slightly athletic look, because she likes to swim and jog, but very much a non-style. The same with minimal makeup and hair. - in part 2 she's getting there more. She's slotting in with the style of the time, which was, if i can recall correctly, really influenced by Tumblr, and that twee, Zooey Deschanel thing with lace up boots and skater skirts. She's trying.

Dean & Marnie are out there, charity shop frequenters, wild cards who are stylish without trying, in her case, and cool without wanting to be, in his.

Jen, a more emo/gothic influence. More piercings, heavy boots, black, she's supposed to look like she kind of is into the metal scene - but not all the way. She's an outsider, everyone friend, or maybe nobody's.

and Jude, of course, as we last saw him anyway: I wanted him to have this real uber-casual, comfortable look. Shorts that double up as swim trunks, a dozen versions of the same worn out T-shirt, wavy hair like he's just been swimming, everything about his style was meant to look like he's just thrown it on, and will throw it off again just as easily. So comfortable with himself and his body that he never tries to hide anything - but he does care a bit about style, because he got his ears pierced. Also I guess, to show that he's not obsessed with being hyper-masculine.

Anyway, that was long winded but I was excited to put that out there. As for Claire's eyes, no! I don't think they're custom, I just played around with them so much that i got that effect. She was one of the first sims I ever made in the game, actually, and I agree, she's beautiful!
    s54gWQ5.png
    @DaniRose2143 I fully agree, both of them are just wrong here - Evie has to take on criticism, otherwise what is she doing at college. She never prepared for what it'd be like when she was no longer the best artist at school, which is actually a huge thing for people who go into creative universities. You get used to being hailed as the amazing talented one that you're ill prepared for the reality of the artistic world. Not *ahem* speaking from experience or anything... although I'm sure it's obvious that I am a former art school kid.

Dean has to be nicer - I think some people feel like they're just gonna say it how they mean it, and be really harsh and not have to sugar coat anything, but actually, soft skills are important. They'll both learn from this experience and hopefully come out of it in a better way.
    s54gWQ5.png
    Nothing wrong with channelling Zooey Deschanel's style in New Girl.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Some thoughts on Part 1 (Chapters 11-13).
    “Did Liam ask you to his debs?”

My conversation with Liam somehow seems like weeks ago now. “Oh, no, he didn’t. It just didn’t come up I suppose.” I don’t know why I’m lying to her, I just don’t feel ready to talk about it. The whole night feels like something private, like a secret that only I’m allowed to know about.

Ouch. I can feel the peer pressure. Kelly and Evie do not seem like friends. They seem like two people who because they knew each other as young children have stuck together out of convenience. Evie doesn't seem to trust Kelly with her feelings and Kelly can't read the room that Evie isn't that into Liam.

I'm glad Evie stands up to her “friends” and expresses that she’s not that into Liam. I'm not glad that Kelly tries to bring her down, even though I'm sure it's not as simple as Kelly maliciously trying to ruin Evie's self-esteem. Everything Kelly says is valid in some circumstances and could even become issues with Jude, but there are better ways for her to express her concerns that wouldn’t be so hurtful to Evie. These two don’t vibe well together at all.

I'm proud of Evie for saying no to Liam about his debs to his face. <3<3 I love this for Evie because a lot of others may not have been able to do it. Of course, I feel bad for him, but he should be fine.

I hope Kelly is able to work out whatever her general issues are and her jealousy of her brother. Kelly's friendships just seem so unstable to me. The way she and Evie communicate (with Evie rarely telling Kelly how she feels or the whole truth) almost makes me think they would be better off if they didn't try to be friends.
    @haneul The peer pressure is real - Kelly's just bull-thick all the time, she expects things to be done in the way she wants them to be. I feel like deep down she probably does think she's being helpful, and perhaps she's well meaning, but her friendship with Evie is old and tainted with years of slights and hurtful moments, hang ups and jealousy of each other that their interactions are becoming strained. You're absolutely bang on the money with that one - they're friends now just because they were as kids, and they've never reevaluated.

Yeah this chapter is Evie's first breakthrough moment, where she actually goes and does what she wants despite what everyone else is saying. I'm proud of her too! She doesn't like Liam, and she knows she can't prolong the façade anymore. He's hurt, cos maybe she left it too later, but she did what was best for her.

Kelly is... going to do what Kelly does. She has to eventually work those things out or she'll have along, miserable life ahead.
    s54gWQ5.png
    Liam and rejection...
    I remember what it was like being a guy Liam's age and trying to get a girlfriend; it's rough out there. He played by the rules that Summer: be polite, be respectful, be kind and the girl will like you. Only it didn't work out and that's not Evie's fault at all: Matters of the heart don't obey rules. He tried his best but it wasn't good enough...and that's got to hurt.

As she rejected him his thought process is probably that he failed and there's something wrong with him, especially when he knows that looming over him and Evie is the figure of Jude. More handsome, more alluring, richer, more exotic and seemingly knowing just what Evie wants at any given moment. How can Liam ever compete with someone like Jude? Sure, he can vent and think Evie led him on but deep down he knows that's not entirely true: He just wasn't good enough compared with all the older, more worldly guys. You do what you think are all the right things and you still lose. Ouch.

But I notice who he turns to after he's rejected: His father. He buries himself in work, helping his father in the cafe and teaching children how to surf. At 18 being good with kids is seen as uncool...but in a few years time some young woman is going to notice that he's diligent and good with kids. He's future husband material.
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg That's interesting.
    I remember what it was like being a guy Liam's age and trying to get a girlfriend; it's rough out there. He played by the rules that Summer: be polite, be respectful, be kind and the girl will like you. Only it didn't work out and that's not Evie's fault at all: Matters of the heart don't obey rules. He tried his best but it wasn't good enough...and that's got to hurt.

Hmm… I think kids are taught not to be like that anymore because it's scary and no one is entitled to anyone else's affection. Kids should treat one another with respect and kindness without any ulterior motives. It's unhealthy to think that treating a woman like she's human is reason for romantic affection on her part. Men like that get terrifying when they're rejected because according to their logic they can stop being respectful…

I feel sorry for Liam because being rejected is no fun, but I don't see it as a big deal at all. He'll be fine.
    You do what you think are all the right things and you still lose. Ouch.
    I don't think he did all the right things, though, because Evie is not an object to be won and there's not a list of things to check off… If he thinks like that he's not even thinking about things from Evie's POV. It shouldn't be about competing with Jude, but about what Evie wants. Even without Jude, Evie might not want to be with Liam because she may think they're not a good match.
    https://luckygirlstory.wordpress.com/2023/01/27/chapter-five-2/

Chapter 2.5 is out now - I know the Christmas spirit has passed for us, but it's December for Evie & the gang, so let's try and get back into it :wink:

v0SkPWe.png
    9FmQpeN.png
    s54gWQ5.png
  • Velvet_LiliesVelvet_Lilies Posts: 56 Member
    Found the thread :grin:! I see what you meant about Dean not being the most popular character so far haha

I'm just about to start reading chapter 5! I'll put all my opinions and comments under spoiler like a lot of people are doing, it'll be easier to digest than a gargantuan novel
    na3uewksu9ny.png
    My Tumblr • • • My first story: "The New Kid" ←
    • • • • •
    @hellohannah2 Ooo new chapter!
    I love your description of winter in Dublin, I could feel the chill. It's a good thing I'm already wearing my heavy winter sleepwear.😁 I really love the way you used blur to put us in Evie's very drunk shoes. It was a nice contrast to start out with Evie feeling like she's nothing if she can't be an accomplished artist and then end with Marnie building up her confidence. How much of that Evie will remember when she wakes up is another story. It was nice to see since she doesn't get a lot of positive energy around her most of the time. Evie and Dean I think would be a bad idea, but I started picking up a vibe in the last chapter that she was beginning to soften her view of him.
    @Velvet_Lilies Welcome! Haha yes - the mixed opinions is one of the most interesting parts of writing this story for me - you just never know what readers will bring to the table, and it always makes me think.

Nice! I hope you enjoy it, it's a slightly uneventful chapter, i think, but all roads lead to somewhere..

@DaniRose2143 thank you! The Irish winter is brutal. We have about 6 months of the year where it's absolutely miserable. It's dark and cold and damp and bleak, and each year I forget how bad it is somehow, but I'm living through the worst of it right now so it's easy to call to mind how it feels. Our summers are so beautiful and so green and lush so it's worth it, I suppose, but it's never easy to wait it out until May...
    oh cool, I'm glad you liked that. I really wasn't sure what to do to mimic the way that she would have been seeing things while drunk, but that motion blur seems to have done the trick! Yes good catch! These chapters are kind of slow, and I'm aware of that (and a little self-conscious, honestly) but it's all needed to take Evie from one place into another & to show the slow building up of her confidence and transformation of her life. Marnie isn't great as a person, but Evie feels she needs her right now, so i guess why not. Dean.... I'm reluctant to say what I think about him for now so I can let people form their own opinions, but there may or may not be a vibe... haha, wait and see!!
    s54gWQ5.png
    I'm hoping Evie doesn't end up getting drawn towards a dark rabbit hole...but I know there's a lot of drama in literature to be had from going down it!
    First! Well, the rabbit hole is opening wider...
    Does Evie still want to go clubbing and hang out with Marnie and Dean after all that drama? I think the allure is too strong...Hopefully Claire and Dean will still be there for her when it goes wrong at the club...Oh Evie...
  • Velvet_LiliesVelvet_Lilies Posts: 56 Member
    edited February 2023

You're right, I didn't end up having much to say on chapter 5 but here are my thoughts on the sixth!

Marnie... I don't know what to think about her but I'm at the beginning of the chapter right now and she acts like Kelly. Rude, entitled and toxic. I would've dropped her on the spot and never talked to her again, what even is this??

It's so sad that Evie feels so guilty about having "chosen her". She acts like she's reponsible for everything Marnie does or says, I just want to shake her and tell her she's allowed to drop people who disrespect her and her friends

As glad as I am that Evie didn't end up dating or doing anything with Stephen, I'm a little apprehensive about her potentially seeing Jude again. Unless he's coming back to Ireland it feels like they're just going to reenact the exact same story over and over again... and it's not like she's ready to handle it.

It's so sad though, when I'm reading that scene where Claire is trying to convince Evie to come to her NYE party instead of going clubbing, it's like Evie does everything to convince herself that she's moved on from Jude and all her old friends and everything she used to be or to like in favor of something the feels like she's expected to do because that's what the "cool kids" are doing.

Dean's message: I honestly can't remember what she said either so I understood Evie's panic completely. And I don't trust Marnie whatsoever.

Okay so it's actually quite reasonable, and I appreciate him trying to stay away from the drama (and I think he might have been on drugs anyway? or that's just me overreacting to the weird scene where he's in the bedroom with a bunch of people and comes out of it looking weird, but he remembers what he did at least). Her reaction to being blocked made me laugh, and I can relate to the imaginary fight a lot haha. But honestly I think Dean is kind of alright. So many guys have been creepy and pushy and weird with Evie and the worst Dean is doing is being slightly drunk-weird, and then apologizing for making Evie uncomfortable (not sure about what Marnie said though...) and then assuming she probably didn't want anything to do with him anymore and removed himself from the situation completely.

But yeah, knowing Evie it makes sense that she'd be upset by being put on the spot and not being able to explain herself or talk it through. Especially if she was actually starting to consider Dean a friend.

Post edited by Velvet_Lilies on
    na3uewksu9ny.png
    My Tumblr • • • My first story: "The New Kid" ←
    • • • • •
    edited February 2023
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Indeed!!
    Poor Evie is pretty lost right now but doesn't see it - she's convinced that she wants this clubbing life over something that she considers "boring" like Claire's friends night in. We'll see what she decides regarding NYE... I don't want to spoil a thing!!

@Velvet_Lilies Thanks for your comment!! so great to read
    Right! Marnie is like a more self aware insidious version of Kelly. Someone told me once that you're doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over until you face them and deal with them, and that's what i'm trying to reflect with Marnie. She's familiar and comfortable for Evie because she's known friendships like this before, but it doesn't mean she's a good person to have around. Evie admits in an earlier chapter to not even liking her that much, she's just easy for her to have around, so that's it. Perhaps she'll learn from this friendship that this isn't what she wants..

Stephen.. yes, there was no way she was going to go there, she was too repulsed by him but it's a shame that she felt she needed to do something like that to "get over" Jude. You're so right, nothing would work with Jude right now anyway - even if he wasn't ghosting her it'd still be a mess. Sometimes it's really hard to let go of your feelings for someone though, especially if they're intense ones, and especially if you've never felt them before that person came along. About what Evie is doing with her new gang, she doesn't need to leave everything behind to get over a hurtful situation, but unfortunately she's inclined to run away from her problems, so becoming a different person is her way of doing that at the moment.

Hahaha I have big plans for Dean, and actually the blocking moment is the catalyst for a lot more stuff that will go down. There's a specific reason he would have done something like that and it's something that Evie won't understand for a while. For sure though, Dean seems alright, like maybe slightly off but compared to some of the other creatures Evie's come into contact with he's really not all that bad.
    s54gWQ5.png
    @hellohannah2
    Oh wow, Marnie is far more toxic then I realized. She’s just Kelly with money and a sense of entitlement. To have access to money like she does and to bully somebody you’re friendly with and is struggling to make ends meet is really low. I’m feeling like her ‘friendship’ with Evie is simply a means to show off and inflate her sense of superiority. Evie is so determined and desperate to break away from who she was and where she came from that she is making terrible choices. I hope she doesn’t have too hard a fall before she finds herself.
    @DaniRose2143
    Marnie is a more toxic Kelly for sure. She's got very similar characteristics only is much better at weaponizing them. I've just finished writing a chapter where you can see this play out more clearly, but yeah. I hate her, I think she's awful through and through. Marnie's deal is that she's so wealthy and so privileged that she wouldn't remotely understand what it's like for Evie to have nothing. For her, five euro is so insignificant but for Evie it's actually a lot. She could make that stretch very far if she had to. She's also at the end of term, so all of her government benefit money has run out.. it's just a very awkward situation between them where they cannot see eye to eye. You can see how out of touch Marnie is, she hangs out with Evie and acts "poor" because it's like a fun costume to her, and she can just switch it off whenever she wants.
    s54gWQ5.png
    @hellohannah2 I've finished Part 1 and I have a lot of thoughts so I hope you don't mind. :)

Jude's summer home is quite fancy. I love the detail of how messy its inhabitants are and that they leave their electronics all over the place. I wish Evie would look at herself in the mirror and think, "I'm gorgeous!" Her Sim is conventionally beautiful.

Regarding the music festival -- On one hand, it seems that Jude is encouraging Evie to think independently. On the other hand, he's being clear about what he likes and he's encouraging her to do what he likes. Poor Evie is such a people-pleaser. I think she'll have a good time at the festival (hopefully), but it seems like she's still trying to avoid conflict at all costs… the only thing that's changed is that it's clear she can avoid some conflict with Jude if she goes.

I wonder why Jude doesn’t wake Evie up and instead lets her sleep and have a maybe slightly embarrassing encounter with the rest of the house.

Kelly:
    “You have no clue what it feels like to be forgotten though, really, do you? You’re the only child, and your parents just dote over you, they give you everything you ask for. There’s nobody to compare you to ever, you’re just so perfect, you’re such a lucky girl who has it all.”

Evie:
    "She’s not annoyed because I forgot about our arrangement, she’s filled with bitterness over the fact that there exists a group of people who like me more than her. Over the fact that I’m not second best like I was when we were younger, back when she got to be the loudest one in the classroom and dazzled everyone around her while I sat back smiling mildly. She wanted me to be her plain, quiet little mousy friend who faded into the background, wallpaper, barely even perceptible, and now she’s furious with me for growing up. She’s been furious with me for a long time, so much now that she can barely even conceal it."

Wow. These two are so toxic for each other that I don't even know what to say. Their conversation only gets worse too… but at least Evie is standing up for herself.

16-17

I wish Evie would live more for herself. She's so caught up in worrying about what others' think that she's turned what's supposed to be fun into a stressful event where she needs to be constantly aware of if she's being perceived as cool enough by others.

The way Jude talks about Liam is a little disturbing. He gives me slightly bad vibes. Evie's thoughts also give me bad vibes. She's too into wanting to please Jude and analyzing his every movement to prove to herself that she's somehow lacking. But I recognize that it’s hard for her to control her feelings and she’s making an effort to have positive thoughts.

Evie being assaulted and thinking it's just a right-of-passage/part of being a girl is heartbreaking.

On a side note, I love how you set up the festival. Every image looks great, with my fav being Evie standing out from the lights behind her. The way you used the decosims was excellent. They blended in extremely well.

18-20
    He would do absolutely anything for her. Everybody would, she’s just one of those perfect girls.
    Evie’s “friendship” with Kelly is toxic, but I think Evie’s friendship with Claire is also lacking. I wish that Evie would see Claire as human instead of constantly being in awe of her. If Claire ever had any problems, I feel like Evie wouldn’t be able to see them as significant because she’s always describing Claire as this lucky, perfect girl.

Jude's friends don't seem particularly genuine or to respect him that much… It's sad. Evie wanting to steal one of his books is also sad. I agree with everyone that this may be a case of right person, wrong time. :(

It's almost hilarious that he never wakes her up.
    The only trouble is that Evie is in love with him. Even if she sees him act out in front of her, she won't see it negatively. He tells his sister she's bad at playing the piano? Oh well, I guess he's just being silly. It's nice to see him play with her. He's constantly doing wrong, but she won't see it like that.
    Interesting. I took him at face value when he said that and thought that he was rudely telling his sister the truth. She hasn't practiced all summer and she's young, so I assumed that she must be bad too and that her teacher would tell her off when she got back to class. Evie also describes Ivy's playing as jarring.

Now, I’m lucky because I can read at my own pace, but when I finally catch up, I’ll have to wait in suspense for the next chapter just like everyone else. I look forward to that, though.