Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art of Sims Storytelling

Comments

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    @_sims_Yimi Thank you ;-;
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg I think it's cool. Maybe I should start sharing a piece of OST at the end of the chapter now and again maybe, something that's inspired the chapter somehow or that I've written the chapter to. I can't write unless I'm listening to something.
    they/them or she/her
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 774 Member
    I've just read so many posts at once, so much going on!

I don't have much to say about the "graphical aspect" of simlit, as I tend to like the graphics of the game as such already (lately I've tried a few mods with a few default replacements for skins and game lights, but they are not fundamental to me). This could also be because I jumped straight from doing simlit with TS2 (I did it up to 2019 I think...) to TS4, so in comparison with what I was used to the newer game is already much better :P
    The same way I can't comment much about the writing tricks, English is not my first language and if I started to set a target like: "never use very nor said" I would never post anything. Actually, I've never really done any real creative writing class even in my native language, I've always focused on studying other things and, eventually, I decided to write simlit for fun as an adult.

What I can try to do instead is answering to this question:

What do you think defines your personal storytelling style? What aspects of your work do you consider your personal 'trademarks' as a storyteller? (Can be in terms of writing style, characters, screenshots / style of screenshots, common tropes or themes that appear and whatever else comes to mind.)
    This at first seemed like an easy question, but the more I think about it the more I realize that the most obvious trademarks of my style are probably based on things I don't even notice doing.
    Anyway, the points I'm the most aware of are:
    - I often tend to be quite synthetic in my writing, in the sense that I often compress a lot of information in a small paragraph. In simlit, this mostly reflect in the very short descriptions of the scenery, sims appearance etc... I introduce in the story. Still, when I write things for work, my supervisor always finds words to cut here and there, meaning that I could be even more concise, if I put in some more effort. For example, she would probably have delegated this last sentence.

- My dialogues are also extremely compressed, as I tend to write them down more like a screenplay than a novel. Dialogues in my stories also tend to have a lot of back and forth among the characters before I'm back to the descriptive sections. I don't know why, but this way of writing dialogues was the norm in simlit in the forums in Italian where I started posting, but for a possible next story I'm evaluating trying a more novel-like approach instead. In my mother tongue I also often try to give different voices to the characters and make them speak with different registers, but in English it's hard to keep up also on this detail.

- As for the descriptive part of my chapters, it usually tends to focus on what the sims are feeling or their thoughts on what is happening. This is super evident in the stories where I write with a first-person POV, but it's also quite true when I prefer using a third-person one instead.

- I also tend to repropose similar characters over and over, even if I do a serious effort in trying to avoid it. Anyway, after introducing 10 or so characters, it's usually quite easy to start noticing similarities with other characters of that same story or from a previous one.

- All my stories up to now (even the ones that I started planning and then put aside) were either fantasy of sci-fi in theme.

- I'm always quite in conflict when it comes to write relationships. On the one hand I love writing about characters getting emotionally closer to each other, but when the relationship turns officially romantic I struggle a lot to represent them. For the same reason most of the couples in my stories behave quite similarly, I just don't know how to write them.

- My stories often comprehend very long-term friendships (less evident in my legacy than in previous works I would say), and in most cases families are very cohesive and supportive of the main characters.

And... well, for now that's all I can think of :P
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.12 posted on the 25th of March 2024*
    @HermioneSims Oh yeah I don't do brevity, at all. It's a bit of a mess for me. When I make something too long I'm told to cut it down, when I make something short I'm THEN asked why I didn't include all of the useless info I was told not to include in the first place. Somehow found its way into my writing, whether that's creative writing or typing-talking to other people. TBF I really like the more screenplay-ish dialogue, it's a fun departure from a whole story being entirely story-type narrative-based as well as it being fairly common in SimLit anyways.

To be fair there's nothing wrong with recycling archetypes now and again, I do it all the time : P

they/them or she/her
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I forgot another quirk I (probably) didn't put on the list:

My tendency to use puns or just play on words for titles.

Dunno why I do it, but basically, simlit or otherwise, a lot of chapters or stories have either punny titles, or titles from other sources (usually songs of course).

Sometimes I worry I put more creativity in the titles than I do in the chapter/story itself...
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,654 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Thank you.❤️
    The fact that so many readers connect with the women in my stories because of their independence and strength is one of my favorite bits of feedback. I try to do the reverse of that with Darian and Matteo. They're manly men, but they're secure and they aren't afraid to openly show a softer, empathetic side. Darian still has moments where he's a bit of a 'bro', but he's growing out of it. When I write LGBTQ storylines there really is a piece of me in them, including Mimi from Schemes. Liberty and Matteo, Summer and Darian are rare straight couples for me as well. Danielle has been straight in a few stories, but in the majority she is a lesbian. I had intended for her to be straight in Under The Tartosan Sun, but I forgot to double check the settings in WonderfulWhims for her character. So I ran with that twist to the story and thank god I did. I can't picture her without Londyn now. The comment about poor story building comes from me telling myself that I should include more male characters in my stories and then I turn around and create more female characters. That is something I've always done. Before I started writing SimLit I almost never played male characters. They were often completely immaterial to the story I was telling at the time. So I have to work at being more diverse in terms of my characters genders, not just their ethnicity.
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited January 2023
    What do you think defines your personal storytelling style? What aspects of your work do you consider your personal 'trademarks' as a storyteller? (Can be in terms of writing style, characters, screenshots / style of screenshots, common tropes or themes that appear and whatever else comes to mind.)
    I had no idea that my comment about writing style would spawn such a topic. Thanks for the question @SnowBnuuy
    I will try to answer what perhaps characterizes my personal writing style.
    I take a lot of pictures while playing. Huge amounts of pictures. Pictures are the entire basic substance of my stories. I love looking for the story hidden in a picture.
    It is rare that I post-process an image, but it has happened if I want to emphasize a special atmosphere.
    As a starting point, I get my inspiration from the pictures, but over time I have become a little more controlling in relation to my photographic subjects.
    I still let randomness in the game decide where the story goes and who gets a role in the story.
    I draw a rough script in advance, but there is room for changes if I get a new inspiration.

My stories move in the field between the realistic, self-experienced and the playfully imaginative. It is both a comment on things I have experienced and things I wish had happened.
    A common theme is the development of individuals. Human development is one of the themes that concern me the most and how to deal with personal disappointments and crises.
    I also want my stories to contain a lot of humor and hope.
    I used to have a reputation for being a romantic and when I look at all the love entanglements that have arisen in my stories, I can't deny it.

I often try to put an ambiguous meaning in my texts as a humorous comment on a picture. I don't know if it worked. Maybe my language is an obstacle.
    I use Google Translate as a helpful tool. I think it's obvious to English speaking readers, but I don't know.
    I spend a really long time rewriting a text before I am satisfied. Several days.
    Sometimes I emphasize a character with a piece of music if a chapter puts me in a certain mood.

Oh, one thing I forgot. I always try to describe the personality of my characters with several facets. No one is purely good or evil.

NB: Thanks to @Velvet_Lilies for your illustration. It is very helpful :)
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Your question is really interesting, and so are all the different responses. For the writers whose stories I'm reading, I can really see a lot of what they're talking about in their writing.

I was going to say more, but I'm completely drawing a blank regarding my own writing style... It seems like anything I can think of isn't necessarily consistent from story to story... And it's dinner time. :lol: Maybe I'll think of something to contribute later.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    I'll tell you what I really like about your writing style with Tusnelda & Trix, @MonaSolstraale. It feels as if it's got a narrator and not just an author, if you see what I mean. Among all the characters is another voice; the person telling the story not as written text but like they're sitting with you relating what's going on. You even put yourself in to one chapter! Having the narrator as a guide and sometimes censor makes the story seem warm and friendly.
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Thank you very much for your feedback <3
    Besides making me happy, it is instructive for me to understand how it works.
    Without hopefully sounding crazy, my writing style is probably partly due to the fact that the characters almost take on a life of their own. I can almost see them next to me.....It actually sounds crazy when I think about it :joy:
    @GlacierSnow - For me what defines your story is actually its comic-book-ish nature. Some of the picture annotations remind me of a comedy manga and I love it so much. I also think it's very much defined by how well you use fun tropes. It almost has a sort of anime-ish feel to it but I can't describe entirely what I mean by that.

@MonaSolstraale - I agree, I think human development is the defining characteristic of Tusnelda and Trix. It's a very realistic outlook on regular people making regular mistakes and doing what they can to fix them...plus cute cats!
    they/them or she/her
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Thanks for your observations. I've really been happy with how the comic-book approach has been working out for me. This is the first time I've tried that kind of storytelling, and I think it really suits me. Probably no coincidence that it reminds you of anime, since I watch a lot of that.

I thought of a few things that I think have consistently been a part of my storytelling style, regardless of what medium I'm working with, or what type of story I'm writing.

- Fantasy elements. This is so ubiquitous in my storytelling that I almost forget there is any other option. I don't think I have ever in my whole life written, or even started to write, a story that did not have fantasy elements in it. Sometimes the fantasy stuff is more overt and sometimes it's more subtle, but it's always there. Even my attempts to write sci-fi ultimately were "fantasy, but in SPACE" rather than proper science fiction.

-Heavy focus on character development, dialogue, relationships, emotions, and communication failures. I'm especially drawn to characters with inner turmoil and internal conflict caused by their own values being put in opposition to each other, and characters who end up in trouble mainly because they themselves made a series of bad choices. I always seem to end up with at least one character like this.

- External conflicts that are pretty much straight-up personality clashes, as opposed to bigger things like competing goals or conflicts of ideology. Those can get into the mix too, but the thing that really makes the conflicts escalate is two individuals who simply get on each other's nerves to the point where they can't communicate and solve the problem.

- Showing both sides of the conflict. When characters really start to clash, I tend to go back and forth between their points of view (in most cases almost equally) and whoever is the POV character of that scene or chapter, I get completely inside their head, and think the way they think. Ultimately, I want it to be hard for readers to decide who to side with, though whether or not I actually manage to pull that off is a different matter.

- A sense of humor that hinges on presenting absurd things as normal, and normal things as kind of absurd.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    one of my new sims died already.
    ..plus cute cats!
    @SnowBnuuy How could I forget the cats :D
    I think there is always at least one pet, cat or dog, in my stories.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Thank you very much for your feedback <3
    Besides making me happy, it is instructive for me to understand how it works.
    Without hopefully sounding crazy, my writing style is probably partly due to the fact that the characters almost take on a life of their own. I can almost see them next to me.....It actually sounds crazy when I think about it :joy:

I get that...I'm almost in love with two of my characters. Almost; I'm not that mad.
    @MonaSolstraale You and @Kellogg_J_Kellogg are not alone. I have a few characters that almost feel like family. The blonde character in my profile picture has been with me as the main character in 99.9% of my saves over the last 4 years. You can't help forming a connection. Her wife has an infectious personality that is equally endearing.
    I’m glad being unhealthily attached to fictional characters is something we all have in common. I know I am. Yimi always bullies me for having favourites and doesn’t believe me when I say I love them all :'(
    they/them or she/her
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    @SnowBnuuy that's because I get way more wardrobe pictures of some characters than others... 🤭

I know what you mean, though. It's very easy to get attached to the characters in your stories, especially if you've poured a lot of yourself into them. They do come alive. Even if it's only to you. Writing characters is personal, whether that is in novels or simlit. 🙂

Oh, hey. That is a question. What is the most fun, well-made or memorable character you've ever written?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    What is the most fun, well-made or memorable character you've ever written?

Probably Jolene Jones, a character I haven't written about for 5 years now, but I started her story way back in 2014 and I still get messages from people who remember her, and think about her whenever they hear the name . I miss her too sometimes but I don't think about her that much anymore which means that her story is over for me.

She was the main character in my most successful Sims 3 story - Dustland Fairytale, she was a 21 year old who lived in a trailer with her mother, who sets off on a long journey to try and find her little brother who was given up for adoption many years previously. I was obsessed with this story for a long time, and with her. She was so real to me and so fulfilling to write about, but in the end I ran out of steam and I outgrew the story. I look back on it now and cringe a bit because I made some mistakes with it and wrote about certain things without the compassion and empathy I would have now that I'm older. I also wrote about things I didn't know about or have any experience with and I think that it shows. You live and learn of course, and I don't regret the story at all - when I was writing that story I had a blast and improved my skill so much. I'll pop a picture of her under the cut!
    SLBLbEk.png
    s54gWQ5.png
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »

For that it’s back to the two sims in my profile picture. Most memorable is Danielle. Most well made is her wife Londyn. I really struck lucky when I made her. Both of them together are the most fun, but I have so many others that qualify. My drag queen character Mimi in Schemes And Dreams is going to be in the running for all three by the time that story ends. They’re already so much fun to write.

edited January 2023
    @_sims_Yimi Hey! That's not my fault there's a lack of historical masc CC for the time period!
    And a certain someone would of course have more wardrobe pics if they're also open to putting on a fancy dress now and again!
    Also agree, OCs solve all problems. Hyperfixating on OCs keeps me sane (ish). An OC a day keeps the horrors away.
    Ohhh no that's a painful question because I LOVE EVERYONE! You hear that Yimi? EVERYONE! :D

Okay here we go. Since some of you are reading Divided I am not going to talk about this in much detail...
    I decided to go with Morgyn, for a multitude of reasons because their whole story is just a wild ride from start to finish, from going to the Magic Realm all the way to becoming Sage and beyond. They go from vulnerable, to cocky and fairly dangerous, and then back to vulnerable again. Doesn't sound like much without me going into detail but I don't want to post a ton of major spoilers and their whole story is just super long XD.

I'd like to know if there's anyone others might considerable memorable, if you've read anything of mine : P
    they/them or she/her
    edited January 2023

At first I thought it was a difficult question. That you can't ask me to choose.
    On second thought, there are almost no characters in Tusnelda's world that I made myself. Tusnelda is not made by me and the other main characters are townies.
    Therefore my choice has to be Finn. He is one of the Sims I became most invested in. I really felt a great tenderness for him.
    VE5TiOol.png
    Finn at the start of A turtle's journey - I won't spoil how he ends up, but he changes quite a bit.

In addition, I can mention Keoni (My good vampire) who I have only briefly presented in a Christmas story. I wrote a longer story about him in a Danish forum.
    jBelZ8Zl.png
    Keoni tries to make an impression on Cassandra <3

Victor and José who were my main characters for over two years in a Danish story. José became the father of two daughters who are absolutely also among my favorits.
    yyNnUI0l.png
    Victor and José the first Sims I played Jungle Adventure with. Victor was a kleptomaniac and José serial romantics. It brought them both so much trouble. They were really funny.
    @DaniRose2143
    I really liked the main character in UtTS, and I like how her story started with the almost head-in-the-clouds desire for romance as well that led her to Tartosa (if I recall correctly). It was fun!

@MonaSolstraale
    At the moment I think my most memorable and favourite characters from Tusnelda and Trix are Trix the cat for his adorable felinf wisdom and also I really like Rasmus and his willingness to step up as a father figure to the boy.
    they/them or she/her
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

Oh, this one's easy:
    Sagebear.

Because something about a dog who is also a zombie and possesses some kind of special power, and has a hand in saving the world was definitely an absolute joy to write for. :)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    @SnowBnuuy
    You remember correctly.🙂 Danielle came to Tartosa seeking her muse in a place that was built on romance. Finding her own romance was supposed to take a backseat to her career. Then her soulmate found her and the rest is a beautiful story that is still unfolding.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    edited January 2023

This question makes me uncomfortable. If I answer based on my legacy, I think my answer should be Elmire. She's only a child now and children characters don't typically garner a lot of interest, but I think she has potential. Or maybe I just don't want to give the obvious answer.

@_sims_Yimi I'm curious about your answers too.
    For me, I feel like Morgana makes the biggest impression. But your entire cast is memorable, so I don't like choosing. Ygraine and Mithian intrigue me the most, but Lancelot is my favorite, and I enjoy the antics of the cinnamon rolls of Guinevere and Gawain when they're at their sweetest. I love Arthur too and love reading about him, but idk. I feel like my comments about him are always somehow negative.

@SnowBnuuy
    I agree with your choice of Morgyn, but I also find Leo!!! incredibly memorable. I'm divided when it comes to Divided and I don't want to select anyone. I like them all (Julian's super interesting, Clem's personality always has me rooting fo herr, Oskar/Reynold's thoughts and actions about controlling vs. not controlling vs. giving into the supernatural aspects of themselves makes me nervous for them and leaves a strong impression, Gideon's redemption arc was touching…

@DaniRose2143
    Danielle and Mimi are the most memorable for me. Among the more minor characters, Hannah! She has a unique look and her history/work as a cook is inspiring. When I read about her, I feel good. And then Faith… she doesn't make me feel good, but she leaves a strong impression because I imagine how frustrating it would be to deal with someone like her.

@hellohannah2
    Jude through Evie's eyes in your early chapters is memorable to me. To the extent that there is or could be a representative universal crush that everyone can relate to having, he seems like the embodiment of that.

@MonaSolstraale
    Is Trix made by you? The way you present Trix is memorable and even if he's not your original character, the way he appears in your stories is unique and I love it.

Post edited by haneul on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top