Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Montessori education/parenting style

CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
edited December 2022 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
This isn't a very serious post, but more of a thought that I'd like to share. Maybe it'll lead to an interesting discussion.

I don't have any children myself or any experience with this particular style of education, however, the Landgraabs had twins and as I was redecorating the space to support 2 toddlers, I found myself really drawn to the idea that they would have the money and facilities to adopt a montessori-style of parenting.
Wouldn't it be cool to have little counters and a tiny sink that smaller children can use? A little cooking oven, the one that was also present in the Sims 2, so children can make muffins.
Many more educational toys, that can give them a variety of skills and help them orientate and explore. Also, what about fingerpainting for toddlers?
Let children play house, or set up a 'pretend store' - or let them emulate their parents. Maybe their dad's a journalist or their mom's a cop, and it's the most interesting thing on the planet, and that's what they'll play out.

Overall, I'm quite happy with how it turned out - but I think it would be very cool to go the extra mile here.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: here is a link to a wiki article for those interested in learning more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Ninja-Dan22Ninja-Dan22 Posts: 117 Member
    I would really like a cooking oven too. It would be nice to have more toys for children and toddlers in general, your ideas would be cute!
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Yes. I would love much more stuff for children personally. I would also like to be able to see them toss a baseball back and forth to a parent, with a mitt and a baseball that could be put on a shelf, I’d love to see family volleyball for 1-8 players. I’d like to see children be able to play tag, or cops and robbers together. I wish they had a chest with dress up outfits. It would be nice if they could write with chalk on the concrete, ride bikes, razors and skateboard. I’d love to see toddlers have push toys and trikes. I wish we had more playground equipment too. Like slides for children, a merry go round, those springy ride on thing for toddlers, hopscotch a a variety of other things. When several children get together there is not much for them to do but talk if there is more than two…. get together does have the 4 person video game. All the activities you mentioned above sound good too.

I hope if we get a generations pack, and we get lots of stuff for children and toddlers.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 534 Member
    I wouldn't say no to a Montessori game pack. Plenty of new activities for toddlers and children (remember Montessori goes up to 5th grade), a Montessori active career, a teaching skill that focuses on helping toddlers and children build skills faster, rather than helping them build character, a grade school career lot that is designed to look like it's in a hidden part of Newcrest.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    edited December 2022
    @Ninja-Dan22

<3

@SheriSim57 & @Eleri

Absolutely! It would bring more life to any given neighbourhood. I would love to run into these extra details - leftovers from previous gameplay sessions, such as chalk drawings. Maybe some old fashioned things like playing with marbles :P is that still a thing? I don't know about an active school career, because I'm not quite sold on the idea yet (I didn't purchase HSY either), but I would dream of a house designed montessori style now I've spend some time thinking about it.

Gameplay around children really does seem stifled in the sims 4, this while the possibilities are pretty much endless (I'm sorry sims team :) ). They just play next to eachother, rather than together with one another. I have played the Sigworth family for a while, and Christie and her mom are both really into sports, but there weren't a lot of meaningful activities for them to do together. More sports would be so great! I'm definitely craving more stuff to do for the kiddos.

What else could be more meaningful gameplay for family simmers? Could we get more of it? I certainly hope so.

Anyway, thanks so much for the replies. It was nice to get it off my chest!

Edit: also, to add to the idea that children have their phases in parenthood, how about special interests that wax and wane? Few weeks (or years?) it's dinosaurs. Next up, it might be space exploration. Who knows?

• telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Years ago I taught in an AMI Montessori elementary. With so many opportunities for hands-on activities, outdoor education, and group work, Montessori would be a good inspiration for activities for children as well as preschool. Montessori has programs for every age from birth through high school, although many local programs focus on just preschool or preschool/elementary.
  • CelticlassCelticlass Posts: 35 Member
    I like the idea for more children's things. There was so much in Sims3. I would like the pack to come with additional education styles. Especially since I like to play in the middle ages. Montessori schools are well known for their education. There is also tutoring, private schools (Montessori schools fall in this category), homeschooling, and no education for peasants.