Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roofing Help

kkira555kkira555 Posts: 102 Member
So yeah I have found that I'm terrible at building a roof, I'm trying to build a nice farmhouse roof but its not working out so well.

Can someone give advice? This is my attempt so far.

Comments

• kkira555kkira555 Posts: 102 Member
    Here it is.
    7mVdBAi.png
    R62tXUU.png
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    @kkira555 Do you have another angle from the front? or you could post what you have on the gallery and I could take a look
    @Clousinators Yeah its on the gallery under my username
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    Roofing is tricky, its all about playing around with extending and retracting the eaves (or overhang part) and the roof sizes for me. Once you get those down you can figure out other little details and tricks.

I kept the concept the same as what you originally had, just made them flow together a little better. For visual appeal I added a few dormer windows with front facing gable triangle roofs. If you don't like those new additions you can easily remove them, just 2 roofs and 2 rooms.

I left the roof pattern on the default one but changed the roof trim.
    Here is the gallery link to the lot

If you do not like it, I can always try something else. If you need help with anything else just let me know! :smile:
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I used to hate roofing too, but I'm getting better at it.

The best way to learn is to download lots with the type of roof you want to make, and see how the creator did it. They often use several pieces that looks like one.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    kkira555 wrote: »
    Here it is.
    7mVdBAi.png
    R62tXUU.png

For the porch I think it would look better if you used the shed roof and lowered it until it looks almost flat. The hipped roof might go well on the big square part of the building, but also would need to be lowered a bit so it doesn't look too massive.

Here's a picture with different types of roofs, you can get a better idea of what would work well with different buildings, and how to use the different roof pieces in the game.
    Roof-Types.jpg
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Here it is.
    7mVdBAi.png
    R62tXUU.png

For the porch I think it would look better if you used the shed roof and lowered it until it looks almost flat. The hipped roof might go well on the big square part of the building, but also would need to be lowered a bit so it doesn't look too massive.

Here's a picture with different types of roofs, you can get a better idea of what would work well with different buildings, and how to use the different roof pieces in the game.
    Roof-Types.jpg

These are all possible in game, but some would take multiple pieces of roof over 2 floors to work. Mansard, Gambrel and Jerkinhed, mainly.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I've mostly given up on roofing. I'm too fussy with the edges and seams and when the posts stick out past the roof trimming I just want to bulldoze the whole building. I've come to really appreciate the flat roof. So much you can do with it, put a bbq there, an attractive chimney, some patio furniture, that big telescope building.
    @crocobaura what about a L shaped porch though?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    @crocobaura what about a L shaped porch though?

You could probably lower the roof you have now to make it flat, or almost flat.
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    I just played with it a little. The back deck might be causing you issues. I made that 3 tiles deep, like the side decking, as opposed to 2. Normally, I would use a shed roof and on the corner, a hipped or half hipped, depending on the application, and blend them in to the same height.

But...a couple of patches ago, that started clipping in one area. I just, as I said, tried again to make it not clip and blend that clipped section, but it's almost like it leaves a hole, where the roof pieces meet. I saved it to my Library and I'll play a little more after dinner. I have to go cook, so my wife doesn't beat me again. :expressionless: