March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Jenpayne87 and welcome 😄
    This is a great place to ask questions.

I like trying all the careers with different sims, and I usually stick with one career for any given sim (unless their aspiration has them reaching x level of 3 careers or whatever). My most common one is the culinary career because I like the rewards that make my sims inspired while cooking, since it helps them make better quality food. My sims normally reach the top of their careers before they are elders.

We have a current discussion going here if you want to check it out.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18015035#Comment_18015035
  • Jenpayne87Jenpayne87 Posts: 37 Member
    > @babajayne said:
    > Hi @Jenpayne87 and welcome 😄
    > This is a great place to ask questions.
    >
    > I like trying all the careers with different sims, and I usually stick with one career for any given sim (unless their aspiration has them reaching x level of 3 careers or whatever). My most common one is the culinary career because I like the rewards that make my sims inspired while cooking, since it helps them make better quality food. My sims normally reach the top of their careers before they are elders.
    >
    > We have a current discussion going here if you want to check it out.
    > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18015035#Comment_18015035

I'm happy to hear that I can ask questions here cause I tried to on facebook and was denied.
    > @babajayne said:
    > Hi @Jenpayne87 and welcome 😄
    > This is a great place to ask questions.
    >
    > I like trying all the careers with different sims, and I usually stick with one career for any given sim (unless their aspiration has them reaching x level of 3 careers or whatever). My most common one is the culinary career because I like the rewards that make my sims inspired while cooking, since it helps them make better quality food. My sims normally reach the top of their careers before they are elders.
    >
    > We have a current discussion going here if you want to check it out.
    > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18015035#Comment_18015035

I forgot to ask what do you do when you reach the max level of the career your doing?
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Hi @Jenpayne87 ! Welcome to the forums!
    I'm sorry you weren't able to ask questions on Facebook, but the whole point of this forum is to ask questions and talk about Sims, so don't be shy here! :smile: Once you are a full member you can start your own discussion threads too.

I tend to stick to one career for my Sim depending on their interests and stick with it until they reach the highest level. (Although I prefer the freelancing career or owning shops).

When I reach the max level I usually keep the job, as you can still get promotions and usually a really nice income by that point. With some careers you also work fewer days the higher the level, plus some careers allow you to work from home.

Right now I have a Sim who is at the top of her gardening career, she works from home (which usually just means doing one very small task) which has given her enough time to run her own flower shop along side it.

Which careers do you like? :smile:
    Jenpayne87 wrote: »
    I forgot to ask what do you do when you reach the max level of the career your doing?
    Same as GirlFromIpanema, I just keep them working the top level job. It’s part of their persona by then. They usually have a bunch of vacation days so I’ll try to use those up before they die, and sometimes I’ll let them retire as elders. I wish the job panel would say which job they retired from - but I use the phone to “Register with the Ministry of Labor” and give them a custom job title when unemployed. So I put “Retired (job title)” there.

Then I let them spend their free time with friends or family or on hobbies since they no longer need to improve skills for promotions.
    > @GirlFromIpanema said:
    > Hi @Jenpayne87 ! Welcome to the forums!
    > I'm sorry you weren't able to ask questions on Facebook, but the whole point of this forum is to ask questions and talk about Sims, so don't be shy here! :smile: Once you are a full member you can start your own discussion threads too.
    >
    > I tend to stick to one career for my Sim depending on their interests and stick with it until they reach the highest level. (Although I prefer the freelancing career or owning shops).
    >
    > When I reach the max level I usually keep the job, as you can still get promotions and usually a really nice income by that point. With some careers you also work fewer days the higher the level, plus some careers allow you to work from home.
    >
    > Right now I have a Sim who is at the top of her gardening career, she works from home (which usually just means doing one very small task) which has given her enough time to run her own flower shop along side it.
    >
    > Which careers do you like? :smile:

I love them all except the freelance career cause I don't understand that one at all.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I use the phone to “Register with the Ministry of Labor” and give them a custom job title when unemployed. So I put “Retired (job title)” there.
    That's a great idea! That's what in going to do with my retired elders from now on! Thank you for the idea. :smile:

I love them all except the freelance career cause I don't understand that one at all.

What don't you understand? Maybe I can help?
    I find Carl's Guides very informative, here is one on Freelance Careers:
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/careers/freelancer/

Do you all have like two sims with the same job just different paths?
  • Navi876Navi876 Posts: 2 New Member
    Which expansion packs should I start with? New to Sims 4.
    Do you all have like two sims with the same job just different paths?
    Yes, I often do. I like to play a bunch of households on rotation so it really depends on what each character seems to be good for. For example, I started a new rotation where I have been playing all the premade teens. I changed Nancy Landgraab to the Law career (from Discover University expansion) which branches out into either a Private Attorney or a Judge. I don’t see her as a Judge 😅 so I would give someone else that career track later on if I found them respectable.
    edited December 2021
    Navi876 wrote: »
    Which expansion packs should I start with? New to Sims 4.

Hi @Navi876
    My favorite expansions are Seasons and Get Together. Seasons adds a lot to gameplay with holidays that you can customize and I enjoy the changing weather. Get Together adds the world Windenburg which is the largest world and it’s very beautiful. The clubs system in Get Together is very handy for getting sims to meet each other. For example, I will start a kids club where I can filter it by children only, which is great if you don’t want to spend the time looking for other kids to meet your kid. There’s all kinds of ways to use clubs, though, which can be a lot of fun.

Is there any particular expansion you have your eye on? They go on sale pretty often and you can bundle the expansion, game packs and stuff packs for a lower price.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I use the phone to “Register with the Ministry of Labor” and give them a custom job title when unemployed. So I put “Retired (job title)” there.
    That's a great idea! That's what in going to do with my retired elders from now on! Thank you for the idea. :smile:
    Glad you can use the idea! 😄
    Just a ordinary question, does anyone ever use the command center deal to reset the career branch?
  • Navi876Navi876 Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="babajayne;c-18018599"][quote="Navi876;c-18018594"]Which expansion packs should I start with? New to Sims 4.[/quote]

Hi @Navi876
    My favorite expansions are Seasons and Get Together. Seasons adds a lot to gameplay with holidays that you can customize and I enjoy the changing weather. Get Together adds the world Windenburg which is the largest world and it’s very beautiful. The clubs system in Get Together is very handy for getting sims to meet each other. For example, I will start a kids club where I can filter it by children only, which is great if you don’t want to spend the time looking for other kids to meet your kid. There’s all kinds of ways to use clubs, though, which can be a lot of fun.

Is there any particular expansion you have your eye on? They go on sale pretty often and you can bundle the expansion, game packs and stuff packs for a lower price.[/quote]

Thank you, this is very helpful! I was looking at seasons and city life, but get together sounds good now that you mentioned it! Looks like there is currently a bundle with a base game and seasons so I might start there
    Does anyone know if the master maker aspiration is a permanent aspiration or is it only here for a short time?
    Does anyone know if the master maker aspiration is a permanent aspiration or is it only here for a short time?

All aspirations are permanent. Some come with the base game, some you only get with packs (I think the master maker one comes with Eco Lifestyle?), but they are all permanent. :smile:
    My goodness, I never even noticed it before and I've had the Eco Lifestyle forever.
    Okay so I don't know if there is a discussion going on about festivals but if there isn't I have a problem with one of them, I can't seem to participate in the festival of snow and I don't know why or how to fix it.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    Hi and welcome @Jenpayne87 :) I think you will find a variety of play styles here, some people who stick with standard or short lifespan and give a sim only one or two careers in their life, some people who keep aging turned off and have a sim experience as much of life as possible, and everything in between!
    Happy simming
    gen3-banner.png
    Is there a way I can play as my pets? I forget if there is a cheat for it.
    Okay so I really want to know what type of names to think of when writing songs cause they don't have any thing like they do when you write a book.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,553 Member
    Is there a way I can play as my pets? I forget if there is a cheat for it.

Hey. Pets aren’t playable without a mod.
    Okay so I really want to know what type of names to think of when writing songs cause they don't have any thing like they do when you write a book.

I take my inspiration from the radio stations and do a simlish name or switch around the name of a song I like.
    > @cyncie said:
    > Hey. Pets aren’t playable without a mod.
    >
    >
    > I take my inspiration from the radio stations and do a simlish name or switch around the name of a song I like.

What do you mean you take a radio station and turn it into a simlish name?
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,553 Member
    edited December 2021
    Book titles in The Sims are parodies of real books, so I try to follow that pattern for naming my sim’s books and songs. A lot of songs on the sims radio have simlish titles, so I might just borrow or modify one of those. You can find the song titles in the audio settings of your game. I’ll sometimes name a song by stringing some simlish words together. You can find simlish dictionaries online. For example, I might call a song “Sul Sul, Nooboo” (Hello, Baby), or I might parody a real song, either in Simlish (The Beatles “Help” becomes “Shooflee”) or English (“Santa Claus Is Coming To Town” becomes “Father Winter’s Skipping Your Town”).

My way’s kind of complicated, though. You can pretty much name them whatever you want.
    cyncie wrote: »
    "Father Winter’s Skipping Your Town”
    This made me laugh! :lol:

I like your song naming methods.