Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4: A Disappointment?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited August 2021
    I put in Slice of Life, Meaningful Stories, UI cheats, Better Whims, and a Chemistry mod and had the most enjoyable simming in TS4 to date.
    I really don't like managing mods because of all the monthly patching, so I plan to fully mod the game after the game is complete and no longer patched.

Just provide a Generations pack and call it done, so I can really enjoy this game. :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    I see The Sims franchise as a tool, and just like any tool our appreciation for it is highly subjective and depends on how much it meets our personal expectations, which in turn are determined by our play style and what we want to do with it.

Personally, I love TS4, and I am surprised myself to say that. I was super-sceptical about it for years, but now that I have finally given it a chance, it is by far my best loved instalment of this franchise, because it allows me to play how I want in ways I could not with the previous instalments. I've totalled a number of hours in 4 digits playing it, but I'm still far far away from feeling bored or limited by the gameplay it allows. And I play vanilla! Polar opposite of when I first began with TS2.

TS2 was my introduction to the world of TS. But while I enjoyed the concept behind the game, I had a love-hate relationship with it, because, for what I wanted to do with it, it was so limited and frustrating. I had all expansions, but still had to add a ton of mods and custom content to make the game remotely interesting or relatable.

Then TS3 came out and to me it was a revelation. As soon as I got it, I never looked back. I've never felt a moment of nostalgia for TS2. Even just the base game of TS3 to me was a hundred times better than TS2 (with expansions and CC/mods I had added). And for a few years TS3 was a great source of entertainment for me. It allowed a depth of gameplay TS2 could not reach. Then my computer broke and I had other things going on in my life and ended up taking a long hiatus from playing.

Meanwhile TS4 came out. I was extremely sceptical about it - after all I had invested in TS3, both time and moneywise, I wasn't ready to start all over. Also, the reviews were less than stellar. It took me several years to make up my mind and give it a try - which in hindsight was a very good thing, because it saved me a lot of heartache and frustration, since the were a lot more issues with the game in the early years. Still, when I finally bought the base game I didn't expect it to match how good TS3 had been. I was painfully aware it lacked a lot of the things I loved most about TS3. As soon as I got I immediately realised I wouldn't be able to play the same way I played TS3. And yet, in a few days, I was sold. I found it to be the best game of the franchise among those I've played, the one that offers me the best tools to play the way I like playing. It lacks some of my best loved features of TS3 but it also lacks the things I hated about TS3, and has many more things I love.

As a result, I do not feel the need to add mods or CC (in fact I'm adamant I don't want any such content). Also, unlike when I was younger, when I would get any expansions I could get my hands on, I'm very careful with the packs I add now, so I didn't get the expansions that I know have features that would ruin the game for me (Vampires, Get Famous) or that don't really appeal to me (Bust the dust, Luxury stuff, Journey to Batuu, etc).

I can see myself still happily playing TS4 for more years. :smile:
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • EDWEDW Posts: 4 New Member
    Sims 4 is just full of bugs that they don't seem to care to fix. Dogs for example are just broken. They get taken away because they won't eat from their bowl but we also can't control them. So they get taken away for "abuse" because they can't balance sleeping and eating. Not to mention my toddler will randomly wake up and lose all their energy. Not even always due to nightmares.
  • caconionscaconions Posts: 23 Member
    I love the game but I hate that I can't enjoy it without mods anymore... and CCs too. Also, I'm still disappointed in the kits' pricing. But I'm enjoying the game nonetheless.
    Caco (pronounced as 'cha-cho') | she/her | a cat lady that loves onions
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sims 4 may be good for some and Sims 4 may be an disappointment for others depending on what you wanted to get out it. I am at the point if they was to cease publication and that day will come, I will not miss it. Do I care about others thoughts, no because it is about me and what I want.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It has to be somewhat disappointing to many or they would remove their mods and play it as it is built. They don't just have mods to enhance their game like when we played older games (like live on a business lot etc.) but to actually change it to be more like TS2 and TS3. They don't seem to realize exactly what they are modding and or why because I can see their mods make it as close to the older games as possible. Go figure, if you loved it the mods that do that wouldn't be there.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It has to be somewhat disappointing to many or they would remove their mods and play it as it is built. They don't just have mods to enhance their game like when we played older games (like live on a business lot etc.) but to actually change it to be more like TS2 and TS3. They don't seem to realize exactly what they are modding and or why because I can see their mods make it as close to the older games as possible. Go figure, if you loved it the mods that do that wouldn't be there.

I'm going to have to look for TS2 now, darnit. :) If that's what the mods are actually doing...
    edited August 2021

I'm going to have to look for TS2 now, darnit. :) If that's what the mods are actually doing...

The mods TS4 players use are things like the MCC mod or whatever that keeps Sims at fine instead of happy, happy, that's more in line with TS2. They also use some others that make random things happen (the unexpected) more in line with TS2. They also use mods to make it like TS3 with story progression for the other Sims in the world living on lots they don't play. They also have mods to stop the culling (before Maxis improved the numbers) more in line with TS2 since TS2 doesn't add any new townies and or NPCs unless one dies, they've had that one since 2014. They also have the mod that ends the decor buffs etc. more in line with TS2 since TS2 Sims don't get happy over every piece of decor but maybe something expensive if they are fortune Sims. They have mods to cause more drama (just like TS2) and they have mods to expand the family tree instead of the barebones one in TS4 more like TS3. I could go on all day. Bottom line if it was in TS2 and TS3 then most TS4 players are using a mod to add those things or set those things the way the older games worked.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited August 2021

To be fair, though, I love the previous games so much, but I recognize the pitfalls of the current even though I do mod it to be closer to sims 2. It doesn't come close...no amount of mods can truly fix this mess. I still play both, actually I also play 3, too. The differences are apparent. The past two iterations were actual simulation games. This one is not a simulator. It's got crummy AI and the sims don't act humanoid most of the time.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

To be fair, though, I love the previous games so much, but I recognize the pitfalls of the current even though I do mod it to be closer to sims 2. It doesn't come close...no amount of mods can truly fix this mess. I still play both, actually I also play 3, too. The differences are apparent. The past two iterations were actual simulation games. This one is not a simulator. It's got crummy AI and the sims don't act humanoid most of the time.

True about the AI as EA/Maxis do not tweak it like they should.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • johnny33johnny33 Posts: 91 Member
    I liked Sims 4 in its early years but it kind of got boring. Also the expansions being too curated and narrow didn't help, which is why some people probably feel let down or excluded. If the expansions were actually packed with content like the ones from previous Sim entries, then more people would buy them and enjoy something from them.

Hopefully the refreshes bring more varied gameplay content. I would probably download it and play if they give us better plantsims.

I own a Mac so I've been playing Sims 2 Super Collection and Sims 3 Metal. Been playing Sims 3 every weekend since it got updated this year, I have all the expansions (except Katy Perry sweet treats) and am loving it!
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    johnny33 wrote: »
    I liked Sims 4 in its early years but it kind of got boring. Also the expansions being too curated and narrow didn't help, which is why some people probably feel let down or excluded. If the expansions were actually packed with content like the ones from previous Sim entries, then more people would buy them and enjoy something from them.

Hopefully the refreshes bring more varied gameplay content. I would probably download it and play if they give us better plantsims.

I own a Mac so I've been playing Sims 2 Super Collection and Sims 3 Metal. Been playing Sims 3 every weekend since it got updated this year, I have all the expansions (except Katy Perry sweet treats) and am loving it!

I wish they would update TS3 for Windows. My save broke sometime last year and I haven't played because that save was so old. It just got too bloated. But I miss it so much.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited September 2021
    I would say there are several levels of disappointment

Anthem : a bad game and a lot of lies
    Cyberpunk 2077 : A good game but too many lies
    Saints Row (2022) : maybe a good game but kills the original Saints Row

For me The Sims 4 isn't disappointing compared to these other games.

No disappointment, just frustration because I want more details and better quality content.
  • sourapfelsourapfel Posts: 18 Member
    If they ever manage to fix the AI so sims don't act so robotic and don't get so easily distracted it will be an acceptable game. Not good, but also not terrible. The AI as of now is game breaking for me and I am in fact disappointed. I don't remember sims being so difficult to deal with 3 years ago when I last played. I returned to the game after purchasing an excellent gaming PC, feeling confident that my game will be now functioning better than ever but it's actually the opposite. It's in a worse state than on my sad laptop back in 2018. At least 3 years ago my sims would actually sit down in a restaurant. Now when my sim has a friend over they won't even stay in one place long enough to have a conversation. They keep running off and my sim has to chase them around the house and force them to pay attention to them... They AI is so, so broken.
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    I uninstalled Sims 4 a few months ago. I say this because I don't miss it that much. I do sometimes miss building and decorating. They did a good job with that. And sometimes I miss a few sims. But I would often start up the game, get into it and find myself bored and quit. I feel like it was a two part problem. The first being that perhaps I "outgrew" the series. The second being that I felt like Sims 4 never had the challenge and charm that it's predecessors had. The Sims were too easy to look after, the careers too easy to climb. The Sims themselves felt like they lost their endearing charm and quirkiness. They smiled throughout their little pixel lives with hardly any change in emotion. And random deaths? They all but never happened. All the packs in the world couldn't fix what was lost.

(I will have to say though that I appreciate that Sims 4 crashed a TON less/had less problems than Sims 3 for me.)
    I uninstalled Sims 4 a few months ago. I say this because I don't miss it that much. I do sometimes miss building and decorating. They did a good job with that. And sometimes I miss a few sims. But I would often start up the game, get into it and find myself bored and quit. I feel like it was a two part problem. The first being that perhaps I "outgrew" the series. The second being that I felt like Sims 4 never had the challenge and charm that it's predecessors had. The Sims were too easy to look after, the careers too easy to climb. The Sims themselves felt like they lost their endearing charm and quirkiness. They smiled throughout their little pixel lives with hardly any change in emotion. And random deaths? They all but never happened. All the packs in the world couldn't fix what was lost.

(I will have to say though that I appreciate that Sims 4 crashed a TON less/had less problems than Sims 3 for me.)

I think you have summed it up very well. That is how I feel, too. Maybe it doesn't crash like TS3 did for some because it has less to keep up with than TS3 does. The Sim also doesn't have any depth when it comes to memoires, they live in the moment. So, when they see a loved one cheat they don't really react how we would expect (older games) because one, either it's condoned to betray a loved one and or they have short term memory and don't know they shouldn't be happy and grinning and wanting to be friends with the other.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

I think you have summed it up very well. That is how I feel, too. Maybe it doesn't crash like TS3 did for some because it has less to keep up with than TS3 does. The Sim also doesn't have any depth when it comes to memoires, they live in the moment. So, when they see a loved one cheat they don't really react how we would expect (older games) because one, either it's condoned to betray a loved one and or they have short term memory and don't know they shouldn't be happy and grinning and wanting to be friends with the other.

Just as an FYI, the developers have been working on this for the Sims 4. So now sims can and do feel sad if another sim they're close to (relationship-wise, not just physically) is sad. They also react negatively to cheating. When the game first game out, they absolutely had no reaction - it's not like that anymore.
    haneul wrote: »

Just as an FYI, the developers have been working on this for the Sims 4. So now sims can and do feel sad if another sim they're close to (relationship-wise, not just physically) is sad. They also react negatively to cheating. When the game first game out, they absolutely had no reaction - it's not like that anymore.

Well, interesting. Exactly what is the first thing a Sim does when they see their mate cheat on them in their own house? Forget the moodlet, which never matched the expression on their face, what does the Sim do about it? I would guess still not much. I assume TS4 still feels slapping the cheater and the other is not proper so they continue to allow the Sim who was cheated and betrayed to be a doormat. How long does it take the cheated Sim to turn and want to be friends with the other? It used to be instant, what happens now?
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

Well, interesting. Exactly what is the first thing a Sim does when they see their mate cheat on them in their own house? Forget the moodlet, which never matched the expression on their face, what does the Sim do about it? I would guess still not much. I assume TS4 still feels slapping the cheater and the other is not proper so they continue to allow the Sim who was cheated and betrayed to be a doormat. How long does it take the cheated Sim to turn and want to be friends with the other? It used to be instant, what happens now?

@Cinebar I've not personally experienced cheating in my game, but I think they do actually slap the cheating sim if they catch them in the act.
    Pleasant Sims did a video on the Sims 4 sentiments from the perspective of a Sims 2 player (link). The Sims 4 is still the Sims 4, though, so some moodlets might distort the kind of reactions players want.

@Cinebar I've not personally experienced cheating in my game, but I think they do actually slap the cheating sim if they catch them in the act.
    Pleasant Sims did a video on the Sims 4 sentiments from the perspective of a Sims 2 player (link). The Sims 4 is still the Sims 4, though, so some moodlets might distort the kind of reactions players want.

Thank you. I will check it out. I had Sims live in the same house and nothing happened when I was playing. The wife had more interactions with the mistress and was never sad about anything. lol
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member

That's something I noticed recently.

My sim had a love triangle a couple of Uni terms back, but now it's only Zane and Meadow Thayer.
    But while at the study table one day, Cassandra Goth flirted with Zane in front of Meadow.
    09-15-21_4-43-09_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Meadow instantly became sad at this.
    09-15-21_5-53-43_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And I thought I had better put an end to this once and for all.
    So I had Zane ask Cassandra if they could just be friends.
    09-15-21_5-54-10_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And Cassandra was like:
    "Okay, Zane. I understand, friends it is."
    Very calmly, no drama. Which I was happy about.
    09-15-21_5-54-24_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And then Meadow gets up and is like:
    09-15-21_5-55-11_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

"I really don't appreciate the two of you flirting when I am sitting...right...here.
    It's so... disrespectful!"
    09-15-21_5-55-32_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And then she walks off.
    09-15-21_5-55-48_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

After, I felt like there was more to this that you could read into.
    "You know, you should really stop pushing her buttons like that."
    "Yeah, I know, Zane, but I can't help it. It's so much fun."
    09-15-21_5-57-04_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It's like they gave me enough evidence to further read into things.
    Or maybe that was just luck.
    I thought Meadow needed to work off that frustration. A few rounds on the punching bag should help as well.
    09-15-21_5-58-21_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

On a side note, there was something else I noticed at Uni.
    I know the dormies have much more of a life than past games. They have love interests and their own group of friends.
    But things seem more dynamic lately. I've notice more of them walking around heart broken, public displays of affection, and even arguments.
    09-15-21_6-00-48_PM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    09-16-21_10-26-58_AM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

09-16-21_2-51-03_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

09-16-21_2-51-41_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

If I was playing someone else, I would steal his girlfriend.
    He isn't treating her right. Perfect opportunity for my sim to slip in there.
    09-16-21_2-52-04_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I feel like they are giving us opportunities for storytelling and drama.
    Like here is a setup for you to take advantage of.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    The only thing that disappoints me is the monthly roller coaster ride of "will the next patch fix it or break it?"

TS4 is my first sims game on the PC so I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't been tainted by previous versions. I believe that TS4 was meant to be different from the others but I see simmers wanting it to be the same, hence the disappointment.
    Sims 4 was for me an game that was not really meant to be different for it is different for various reasons. One has to look at why is Sims 4 is different than previous versions as it had an very bad start. It began on an engine that was from an previous cancelled project and the game had to be tailored to run on that engine instead of it being built from scratch. I myself being I play an lot games and not just from the Sims series did want Sims 4 to be different from the the older versions but do retain some useful features such as creating my own neighborhoods, lots editing tools and more and not want every useful feature cut from the game. Games in an series evolve using new and old features while it promotes it own style. Every pack I played is gimped to an certain extent and an former shell of whatever feature EA/Maxis tried to incorporate into it. Also, any problems outside of end user control is the problems that the developer allowed to accumulate and do not tweak as often as they should. Sims 4 for me had potential but it lacks it now for me. Should I give kudos to an company that fails to do what it supposed to do to keep the game running efficiently. Nope, there were problems in 1, 2, 3 and there are problems in Sims 4 looking at how the system they use it is meant to be tweaked often and early as possible and before adding new code into it. The only thing I can say is those that enjoy the game enjoy it and those that do not pray for Sims 5 hope it it is good enough and I will not preorder it if it happens as I will not get caught out there the next time.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    edited September 2021
    After seven years and possibly several more years of content to come I've learned to accept TS4 for what it is instead of brooding about what went wrong and why and fixated on features from TS2 and TS3. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to play all the previous versions but I'm really having fun with TS4. At the end of the day that's all that matters to me.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
    edited September 2021
    After seven years and possibly several more years of content to come I've learned to accept TS4 for what it is instead of brooding about what went wrong and why and fixated on features from TS2 and TS3. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to play all the previous versions but I'm really having fun with TS4. At the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

That's wonderful. I still have TS2 and still enjoy the drama when I do play it from time to time. It's a lot of fun even after seventeen years. I also have TS1 and TS3 installed on my old Win.7 pc. I sometimes drag it out and play those. But what I've not done is revisit TS4 in quite a few years. That's sad, and waiting to see what they do with it in case I think it's worth reinstalling because I did spend quite a bit on it before stopping. (But hoping for a more dramatic TS5 because I would love a new game). The original is even harder to play with all the Betty and Bob drama, and Mortimer is the worst Sim ever, lol, he is so hateful to my Sims. I would guess that game has the most drama of all of them if I compare how easy the games have become over the years. Sims were hard to get along in TS1.