Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this a good computer for TS3?

Is this a good computer for running the Sims 3 on medium-high graphics with several expansion packs? I have Ambitions, Generations, Late Night, Pets, Seasons, Supernatural and University (although I don't usually run Supernatural and Pets with the others). I'm not too bothered about FPS since I don't usually notice a difference unless it’s slow and laggy.
I like the price because I'm on a tight budget, but I'm just not too sure because I was told to avoid integrated graphics cards and the processor only has 2.0 ghz. Will that be enough for playing the game smoothly?

Beelink U55 Windows PC on Amazon
JkN3z9U.gif
Find me at Sims3.com. Username: Nesoiancitizen
I'm also on Duolingo as carlaquest

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2021
    Wow, that's a really good price for an ultra mini-form factor computer if it lasts as long as it should though that's a pretty big "IF." But no, it's not going to give you the TS3 experience I think you are looking for. It should run the base game okay, and maybe a couple of the earliest and lightest expansions on low to maybe medium graphics. But the heavier and later released EPs like Pets, Seasons, possibly even Uni, would likely be too much for it as would be higher graphics settings. It would probably take to TS2 much better, if you have any affection for that game.

Its hard drive is 128 GB on which you would have a constant struggle to have enough space for the game to run, though I do see that the 256 GB version is only $18 more currently.

GHz isn't something processors have, it's the speed at which they run and it's not an absolute barrier to game performance. But yeah, I'm afraid this one is designed for ultra low power consumption, not playing graphics intensive games (even by 2009 standards) and the game would overwhelm it, there may be overheating issues, etc. This product line is really meant for web surfing, streaming videos, and light office/school types of tasks. You are not going to be able to find a desktop that will run all of TS3 in that price range, I'm afraid. Not an expert shopper here and there will always be temporary bargains, but more realistically desktops would start at around the $600s (USD) and laptops will start higher.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • NesoiancitizenNesoiancitizen Posts: 4,344 Member
    Thank you for the info! I guess I won't be getting this one, the current computer I'm running TS3 on was also not suited for such a demanding game and that significantly shortened its lifespan causing all sorts of problems. It's a shame because the price tag is so nice, but I'm probably better off trying to build my own PC at this point.
    JkN3z9U.gif
    Find me at Sims3.com. Username: Nesoiancitizen
    I'm also on Duolingo as carlaquest
  • shertzshertz Posts: 2 New Member
    Unfortunately, I think building your own is probably the best case scenario, although its pretty challenging to find GPUs rn with the chip shortage. My roommate just bought a pre-built desktop from NZXT for a decent price, but I can't remember the number off the top of my head.
  • jadebeanjadebean Posts: 3 New Member
    I have no idea how to make my own post, but i’m looking for some help:D I’m looking for a nice laptop that could run ts3 with all eps but showtime, a couple of mods (like nrass and overwatch) , and some cc smoothly. My budget is 700-800.
    @jadebean - We have a thread set up here specifically for New Members who cannot yet start their own discussions. That is where we should continue if this one gets locked by a moderator for being too old to add onto.

Which country are you in and is your price range in US Dollars or something else?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    600-800
    Sorry , i live in the US
    @jadebean

I am not an expert laptop shopper, others here are. But I can look at any you find within your price range and tell you how well TS3 would be expected to run on it. For all EPs and medium to high graphics settings, these are the system elements you would be looking for. They should be easily found in the lower end of gaming laptop series on most shopping sites, to the extent things are actually available these days due to supply chain issues.

-- 2.4 GHz or higher processor (avoid the U- and Y-series Intels as they are meant to conserve power, not deliver graphics intensive games even by 2009 standards); quad core or better.

-- At least 6 GB of RAM, 8 GB or higher would be better. The game doesn't require more than that, but having more than 8 GB will more comfortably allow you to use other programs like web browsers and video streaming while the game is running but paused.

-- Graphics card should be dedicated, not integrated, and "strong enough," going by Nivida's historical numbering systems that means a "5" or higher in the middle digits -- e.g., GTX 950/960+, 1050/1060+, 1660...etc. Which series are actually available now in off the shelf laptops (and desktops) will of course limit one's choices, but examples of "not strong enough" would be MX 130s (roughly equivalent to the 1030, middle digit "3"). AMD has their own numbering systems, so sometimes we have dig a little deeper into the GPU specs to find what they are equivalent to. Yet stronger graphics cards than that will of course also be okay even if they are overkill, but while those would future-proof the system for other games and those not yet released, they will also tend to drive the price tags way up.

-- Hard drive of at least 256 GB to allow for saved games, other programs, and added content as time passes. More than that increases the comfort level, but it depends on users' file management habits. A Solid State Drive (SSD) will allow TS3 to load/save faster and increases the speed of some other processes like CAS and pattern catalog loading.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!