Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Representation

I will do my best not to come across as being "political" for that is NOT my intent. I want to start out with that I love the Representation we have in the game. From February showcasing Black Simmers to LatinX/Hispanic History Month being celebrated and LBGTQIA sims in every pack since Cats and Dogs added to the game.

However more really needs to be done. I will do my best to keep it sweet without trying to offend anybody.

With that said I'll explain why I'm disappointed with the Cottage Living pack and focusing on farming. I feel that groups races ethnicities and cultures not in the sims at all with ZERO representation should be a higher priority to adding in farming or for that matter occult sims. I think that fixing serious problems in the game should be fixed before any added kits and packs are introduced. Those should be the sims team's first priority in my opinion. I could be completely happy with fewer problems bugs and issues in the game if it means no new kits or packs for a year or two.

We have Pacific Islanders with representation in the game. Nothing added that is actually part of the culture like Hula dancing or even Luaus as added food and parties for our sims.

We have Japanese Representation kind of. When I think of Japan I don't think snowboarding skiing or even rock climbing. I think fishing, tokusatsu, great foods like sushi, sentai, stage shows, Tea Ceremony, anime, J-Dramas, J-Pop, manga, Japanese Gardens and so much more. Which really wasn't added with Snowy Escape. I end up just deleting and rebuilding the world. I have to use CC to set up a proper Japanese Tea House with a tea ceremony laid out.

We have LatinX/Hispanic Representation to a point though it's Mexican based. There are more LatinX and Hispanic cultures than just Mexican.

We have Black Representation that really needs improving with better hair and some more skintones added in. Even added foods have a world with the beauty of Harlem and Black communities throughout the world. One of my best friends growing up still lives in Harlem. I used to hang out with him and his mom taught me how to cook. She is one of the most amazing human beings I have ever met.

We have LBGTQIA representation in the game that could be tweaked a bit.

There isn't Native American/Canada's First People Represented at all I know that every Nation/tribe being represented is kind of impossible.

There aren't a lot of cultures ethnicities and races represented yet in the game.

Asians are more than just the Japanese. There are Indians, Middle Easterners, Chinese, Koreans and so on.

What about European cultures with French, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese and so on.

What about Jamaicans and Haitians?

My list goes on.

What about the Disabled? I know it's impossible to get every disability out there but wheelchairs hearing aids walkers elevators and canes aren't that difficult. There is CC and mods out there for these items. I know some people don't want it at all. But I have mods and Custom traits to represent some disabilities and mental health.

I understand not wanting to offend and trigger people. I understand that as a company being politically correct is an absolute must. I understand that they don't want to misrepresent and poorly represent or do something that would be utterly insulting and stereotypical even to thoughts outside that race, culture or ethnicity. I understand religion and politics cannot be done without upsetting and offending and triggering somebody. For religion and politics, every political party worldwide and every religion added in including atheism and anarchy.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of CC creators and modders to get this done at all.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited July 2021
    Honestly, you don't have to be apologetic for wanting more representation in the game, and you shouldn't have to worry about offending people by saying you'd like to see more. If people are offended by broader representation, then they can just choose not to use the relevant material in their game- and optionally grow a thicker skin and learn to live with seeing people that aren't like them as an option in video games. You have nothing to apologise for, trust me! No matter how polite you are about the point you're making, people will still get offended by it. There's just no pleasing the 'there's too much representation!' types. I don't see a problem with what you're saying. People can scream at devs all day about wanting cars and fairies and werewolves and open world and this and that, so I don't see the problem with people asking for broader representation for different groups or cultures.

I feel represented as a lesbian, which is great!- but as a cis white woman, I already know what it's like to be represented in the video games that I play- and the world (and media) shouldn't just revolve around people like myself. Sims has always been the most progressive popular game I've played, ever since I started in the 2000s, so I'm hoping other people's cultures and identities can get some further portrayal in-game where possible. It makes sense for a sandbox game to have a good breadth of the types of people you can make and stories you can tell. I know people will say 'b-b-b-b-but I want a life simulator!' but varying cultures and identities are a part of life, and someone asking for representation doesn't stop someone else from asking for gameplay features.

I think the best thing a company can do, is to get specific input for any kind of rep they plan to add for the game (for example, consulting representative groups, staff members who are of that group, charities related to the group, etc). For example if they wanted to increase representation for people with disabilities, then they can speak to people with disabilities, charities, spokesperson groups, that sort of thing. That way they can try to ensure things are done as accurately and as respectfully as possible. Of course, people will still have criticism, but that's not a problem. People have a right to criticise and give feedback.

I do hope you'll get what you want from this at some point in the near future and thanks for sharing your ideas.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited July 2021
    I feel that Maxis are doing a pretty good job already, they have updated several black hairs and added skintones, they consult with different groups when adding content like they did with the Hispanic Heritage Month. There is always more that can be done but that can be said about pretty much everything in the game...I think a lot of reasons why they can't do more is budget and time honestly. I would have liked to see them do much more with Snowy Escape for example...

I agree that there are cultures left that could be done like the ones you listed, hopefully we will see them in future packs, the courtyard oasis kit reminded me that we don't really have a world that suits builds like that (apart from maybe Oasis Springs).

There have been other threads here on the forum about adding disability, I think a lot of people are not sure if they really want that in the game, I'm not sure myself if I want it. It's a rather hot topic so I don't wish to derail the thread.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I feel like the pack should generally focus on certain themes. I feel like If the main focus was Representation, Heritage, Culture, and so on, It would simply be far too draining too taxing for players and the developers. As much as I would like to see my more of me represented in the sims, I would rather they put content I'm primarily after above representation. It really should be both. I personally wouldn't want to be presented with a Pack on representation. I rather see how it's woven, maybe subliminally, into pack.

I just get very creative, Since I created my Pacific Islander, Nordic, Arab, & Italian Characters, I would like to see content to help them dress and play the part I have made for them. Because I do have characters of those backgrounds, and it would be neat to have some more interactions, dress, traits, and other characteristics. But I would like to see those cultures be in the background. But my thing is I want the Ancient as well as the modern representation, I want the historical approach.

Like Mermaids, and Putting it with Island Living was a nice idea.

Like a Werewolves Game Pack, an Italian-Greek world with Their culture and traditions, I think would be perfect for a werewolves game pack! When in reality the idea greatly serves me because it gives me a fresh designed Werewolf Occult at front and center. My Werewolf family is actually of Italian-British Background. I always wanted a Tuscan world, Have a Large estate on those lush rolling hills, and golden sunset. Have a successful Vineyard, wine and Rum Making as one of the new hobbies. And then Once Occult is well designed, Now the World Building can commence.

I would Love an Arabian Pack, A "One Thousand and One Nights" Game pack would be so cool.
    bella_goth wrote: »
    i'm tired of representation being the main focus of this franchise, i feel like it should leave outside differences on people aside and focus on what's inside of all of us, our personality, our feelings, also our behavior, our reactions, our ideas, our ambitions, should be the main focus of the game. i don't oppose to what you say either and to be fair you're kind of right, ea put itself on this diversity field and now they've started they should do it properly but i feel like they should be base updates and not paid content

But this is is what I mean, At the end of the day It is our ambitions, and we should have to tools available to us to do it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    I think Europe gets a lot of representation more so than Americana living. Take for instance the new Cottage Living pack it is in the spirit of English farming or a tiny reflection of those small farms/gardening. But America was not represented at all with it's majestic wheat fields, acres and acres of wheat and the farming equipment to harvest that wheat and process that wheat to feed the world. It would take years to do that by hand and the wheat would be dead without that farming equipment.

I'm actually over all this representation and what about representation of being human? We all have fears, emotions, quirks, habits, and have to deal with life, whether it's good, bad, or ugly. I want this game to return to 'life' and stop with the political correctness. There are so many peoples not represented and we all know who they are and Maxis either, can't, won't and or doesn't want to do some of these things for those people that let's just go back to human and make the Sim the best replica of a human with All their Flaws and Virtues.

OP, they say politics, religion etc. can't be discussed and or in the game..yet, they have politicians and careers of that sort and protests in the games. So, actually they do not want to represent the disabled nor the religious because we can see they have no problem representing politics.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I hope that one fine day we get official body hair in this game...

A man can dream.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I have to politely disagree with this. I want nothing more than a fun game where the focus is on is adding tons of fun activities, drama, gameplay, lore and detailed animations like sims 2.
    I want more little details like dislikes/likes,wants,memories.
    Challenges, burgerlers, karate, walking and holding hands!
    I want zombies, wearwolves, occults ridable dragons in a fun dragon world and other fantasy worlds for occult players. I Want expanded family gameplay and romance that brings sims together.
    Imagine if people screamed at maxis on twitter to make better and more animations instead of screaming about a what political aspect needs to be added next. I want things that actually IMPROVE the game. I live my culture,my color, my disabilities, my gender etc. Every single day in reality. I want the team to spend time money and resources on making the sims 4 the best that it could be.

I DON'T want the whole focus of this game to be how black blue or green your sim is. How much culture is "represented" how offensive adding said culture and/or disability is, then go on a twitter riot to get said offensive cultural aspect nerfed.
    What happened to FUN? What happened to IMAGINATION? We Literally have like 1000 skin colors and I only use like two. Cause I'm too focused on game adventures.

Nothing against your wants or desires because we all want different things🙂 just politely stating why I disagree.

Completely agree, I miss the focus on having fun too.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I have to politely disagree with this. I want nothing more than a fun game where the focus is on is adding tons of fun activities, drama, gameplay, lore and detailed animations like sims 2.
    I want zombies, wearwolves, occults ridable dragons in a fun dragon world and other fantasy worlds for occult players. I Want expanded family gameplay and romance that brings sims together.
    Imagine if people screamed at maxis on twitter to make better and more animations instead of screaming about a what political aspect needs to be added next. I want things that actually IMPROVE the game. I live my culture,my color, my disabilities, my gender etc. Every single day in reality. I want the team to spend time money and resources on making the sims 4 the best that it could be.

I DON'T want the whole focus of this game to be how black blue or green your sim is. How much culture is "represented" how offensive adding said culture and/or disability is, then go on a twitter riot to get said offensive cultural aspect nerfed.
    What happened to FUN? What happened to IMAGINATION? We Literally have like 1000 skin colors and I only use like two. Cause I'm too focused on game adventures.

Nothing against your wants or desires because we all want different things🙂 just politely stating why I disagree.

Say it louder for the people in the back!
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I miss the days when Sims was just about having fun and not being all about representation. We always had fun in Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3....sadly,Sims 4 has become all about represention and being inclusive. I'm really hoping Sims 5 will be just like Sims 1-3,where everyone just had fun and nobody cared about being represented.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    logion wrote: »

Completely agree, I miss the focus on having fun too.

me to :)
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I would love more cultures to be represented (the whole structure of the Sims based on suburban living feels very American and has nothing to do with my personal experience, though it doesn't prevent me from having fun), but first of all, it's a game, and it needs gameplay. They can't just add an expansion revolving around a certain culture, that's not enough (packs like Island Living or even Snowy Escape feel quite, and gameplay they have is world-restricted, which is not good). That's why packs like farming or generations/family gameplay are important too, they add ways to play and imagine.
    My personal problem is, though in many aspects TS4 is more representative than previous games, in one it is very restrictive — worlds. We can't build our own worlds, we can't really change existing ones, therefore we are stuck with mostly American suburbia and sometimes European towns with background buildings and stuff. TS4 is lacking freedom more than representation, imo.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited July 2021
    A lot of this can be done with just the name generator.

For Asians, most of my Asian sims were Korean with Chinese Surnames (oops) before I got the Mountain Pack.

For Hispanics, there is an extremely obvious nod that could be done with Cottage Living - since the Llamas are a Quechua animal of the High Mountain Andes of Peru.

As someone with South American roots, I didn't find the game's Hispanic aspects to be too Mexican. I found them to be 'too mix-maxed'.

Notice how:
    - the base game and many packs/EPs are a generic Mix of 'US / Canada / Northern Europe',
    - "Island Living" is a generic mix of anyone from Oceania / the Pacific.
    - Salvadora is a generic Mix of Latin America,
    - but then Snowy Escape was specifically Japan.

I found that Jarring. Snowy Escape should have been a generic mix of East Asia if it was following the pattern. A 'fictional Asia'. Not Japan specific.

Korean players even noted this - they presumed it would be generic Asia and so it felt appropriate to protest the shrine. But then they got a Japan-EP where that shine actually made sense. Except nowhere else in all of Sims 4 is any content so specific to a specific nation. Even Strangerville could potentially be in Australia or the USA (though this is a stretch so it's "almost" as specific as Snowy Escape).

For Native Americans it becomes a dangerous issue - it is illegal to falsely claim any given thing is made by a native tribe. Many representations of uses of tribal names are protected by law. Yes you see things like certain car brands disrespectfully using the names of tribes for the names of their cars - but the auto industry can buy Congressmen and get an exemption. Your other options end up toxically racist like certain major sports team names that are racial slurs.

The Island pack was a missed opportunity to represent the Caribbean. You'd need a game pack that added another set of Islands to fix that.

A lot of ground has been made recently in covering ethnic groups commonly found in the USA - and expanding the name generator could help with this further. Skin and facial feature presets though, are where they need to be at present.

There's long been a lot of name and CAS coverage for people of Europe.

Handling ableism issues would actually make for a great gamepack idea. It would require a lot of new animations and CAS additions.

Post edited by Jyotai on
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Imagine if people screamed at maxis on twitter to make better and more animations instead of screaming about a what political aspect needs to be added next.

Why and how is the existence of my race, or the existence of someone else's sexuality "political"?
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I have been away from the game for a handful of years and was very pleased to see the new skin tones on my return. For the life of me I can't see how a desire to have wider representation of the human race in a life simulation game is in any way unreasonable.

Give me that over another thing that I click on and it does some fancy whirly animation thing and my sims gets a moodlet, anytime.

Yeah, the bugs need fixing, but that is true for whatever a player of the game is requesting. I remember the epic threads and campaigns for toddlers before they were released.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    After Island Paradise I don't want further packs that rely almost entirely on "ethnic" representation. You get used to the eye candy and then there is no gameplay. The Japanese theme in SE was done better though.
  • Options
    EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    Thats why I think they should create a World Pack to add more representation without cutting the budget for other packs.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I miss the days when Sims was just about having fun and not being all about representation. We always had fun in Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3....sadly,Sims 4 has become all about represention and being inclusive. I'm really hoping Sims 5 will be just like Sims 1-3,where everyone just had fun and nobody cared about being represented.

I'm sure people cared in the early days of The Sims franchise/brand. Otherwise now it wouldn't be so important to The Sims brand now. Some people will buy and support a brand if they are socially responsible. In videogames this means representation and inclusion to add in a positive image. If a company has a bad reputation using social responsibility is like a stage magician using sleight of hand and misdirection when "sawing" a lady in half. It makes the public focus on the good they are doing rather than the bad or even shady stuff that they might be doing. If a company has an ok or highly positive reputation social responsibility improves its already stellar public image. If you understand how socially responsible marketing works for a corporation you understand that sometimes all the things that come across as being politically correct can sometimes be their way to stay hip and keep from being "that brand" that enraged a ton of people on social media.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have been away from the game for a handful of years and was very pleased to see the new skin tones on my return. For the life of me I can't see how a desire to have wider representation of the human race in a life simulation game is in any way unreasonable.

Give me that over another thing that I click on and it does some fancy whirly animation thing and my sims gets a moodlet, anytime.

Yeah, the bugs need fixing, but that is true for whatever a player of the game is requesting. I remember the epic threads and campaigns for toddlers before they were released.
    drakharis wrote: »

I'm sure people cared in the early days of The Sims franchise/brand. Otherwise now it wouldn't be so important to The Sims brand now. Some people will buy and support a brand if they are socially responsible. In videogames this means representation and inclusion to add in a positive image. If a company has a bad reputation using social responsibility is like a stage magician using sleight of hand and misdirection when "sawing" a lady in half. It makes the public focus on the good they are doing rather than the bad or even shady stuff that they might be doing. If a company has an ok or highly positive reputation social responsibility improves its already stellar public image. If you understand how socially responsible marketing works for a corporation you understand that sometimes all the things that come across as being politically correct can sometimes be their way to stay hip and keep from being "that brand" that enraged a ton of people on social media.

I think
    EnigmaOFFC wrote: »
    Thats why I think they should create a World Pack to add more representation without cutting the budget for other packs.

I think the skin tones and representation should be extended in a pack, a download on ethnic Holidays or people represented. All they have to do is search google for holidays; check the google doodle for what holiday or people being represented during that month. That's not political IT'S JUST ADDING HISTORY TO YOUR GAME! With that help they can add a little representation by picking and choosing with out making a pack. A WORLD TOOL IS NEEDED NO MATER WHAT HAPPENS. The same goes for Bug FIXES THAT NEED TO BE FIXED AND THINGS ADDED FOR FUN! I'm tried of the excuses things that could have been added along time ago. Just fix it EA. I want to swim in every world with update, I want my sims to know their distance and step family members. And I want more detail in the game like turning the Bread Box into a real functioning object. I can make bread but I can use that why? Why can't I use the kids Deco Backpack for extra storage like the book cases. JUST TRY ALL READY! COME ON! TIME AND MONEY SPENT FOR NOTHING BUT REUSED OBJECTS THAT COULD BE BETTER!
    Post edited by motdk on
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    i'm tired of representation being the main focus of this franchise, i feel like it should leave outside differences on people aside and focus on what's inside of all of us, our personality, our feelings, also our behavior, our reactions, our ideas, our ambitions, should be the main focus of the game. i don't oppose to what you say either and to be fair you're kind of right, ea put itself on this diversity field and now they've started they should do it properly but i feel like they should be base updates and not paid content

I kinda agree with this. The Sims started just as a representation of what Will Wright called american tv culture so it would've been familiar in the whole world (american culture represented in movies, series and sitcomes)

It's always good to have representation and now that EA decided to dive into this it must be taken seriously!
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The list of ethnicities that are being proposed here is lengthy. How do you suppose that’s feasible? How many more packs do you plan to buy for this game, 200? Not me.

We have enough skin tones now and malleable features to create a semblance of whatever type of human (plus other beings) we want. But it’s a cartoon - it’s not exact for anyone. At a certain point, don’t we all kind of go, “Eh, close enough” and get on with playing the actual game?

If you want new activities (very few were specified) then I can get on board with lots of those - a tea ceremony is multicultural, isn’t it just pouring some tea and hanging out? Lots of people want that. Simlish anime or manga could be a fun addition - cartoons and comic books aren’t exclusively Japanese. I love it when Maxis puts their own spin on things, that’s when it’s versatile enough for everyone.

Just saying “we need more Latinx representation other than Mexican” doesn’t mean anything. Explain what exactly you’re thinking of, and maybe I would agree if it makes the game more fun.

I also have no idea what is meant by “LGBTQIA representation could be tweaked a bit”. If you’re asking for a clear way to define sexual preferences that affect autonomy and attraction, then I’m all for it.

Disabilities are uncharted territory and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’m going to leave that topic alone.

But I agree with @bella_goth wanting more depth of what’s within our sims. If we can give their lives more meaning it’s way more satisfying to me than any of the superficial stuff. And what makes a lifestyle different from another’s? If it’s a popular enough idea, and people would enjoy it, it doesn’t matter who it represents. Let’s focus on what we have in common above our differences.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    So they should stop working on gameplay and focus on real world issues and races instead of the fake worlds they already have?

Pass. Hard, hard pass.

I understand wanting representation in the game, but it should NOT come at the cost of, well... The game.
  • Options
    thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hard pass. Let's just play the game, and let them focus on the gameplay itself. I agree with everybody on my side.