This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

What's up with all the buggy releases?

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,893 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    DeKay I'm mostly good with not getting my hopes up high - it's just that when I see all these features that I WANT to play with as I imagine them, I can't help myself but let my imagination run with it - I just want the game to work ❤️❤️❤️❤️ :s

That's a tough position to be in. It's best to not think about it too much so your imagination doesn't run wild and you end up being even more disappointed. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Still Fly by The Devil Wears Prada
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,046 Member
    edited June 2021
    DeKay wrote: »
    DeKay I'm mostly good with not getting my hopes up high - it's just that when I see all these features that I WANT to play with as I imagine them, I can't help myself but let my imagination run with it - I just want the game to work ❤️❤️❤️❤️ :s

That's a tough position to be in. It's best to not think about it too much so your imagination doesn't run wild and you end up being even more disappointed. :D

:D:D Yeah you're probably right.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2021
    About Cyberpunk 2077, yes it is super buggy but it also got a lot of backlash and people actively tried to get money back and since launch the sales have bombed which means the community is trying to send a message that the game needs fixing. Same thing happen with Fallout 76 and other similar games. Problem with the Sims 4 is that the community keeps supporting the buggy products and act like everything is fine.

I guess the main issue here is that bugs are not equally bad for everyone - for some, they really interfere with gameplay, but for others they're barely noticeable. I get occasional bugs or glitches but it's never been bad enough to make me stop playing, and certainly never bad enough to stop me from buying future packs.

Ultimately it's really about what you deem acceptable. Getting a unified community response is difficult when not everyone feels the same or experiences the same issues in equal measure.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    About Cyberpunk 2077, yes it is super buggy but it also got a lot of backlash and people actively tried to get money back and since launch the sales have bombed which means the community is trying to send a message that the game needs fixing. Same thing happen with Fallout 76 and other similar games. Problem with the Sims 4 is that the community keeps supporting the buggy products and act like everything is fine.

I guess the main issue here is that bugs are not equally bad for everyone - for some, they really interfere with gameplay, but for others they're barely noticeable. I get occasional bugs or glitches but it's never been bad enough to make me stop playing, and certainly never bad enough to stop me from buying future packs.

Ultimately it's really about what you deem acceptable. Getting a unified community response is difficult when not everyone feels the same or experiences the same issues in equal measure.

@aaronjc123 Personally I don't even care what bugs I get or not. It's not just about me. If I see a big amount of people saying something is very buggy I won't even think of supporting it, no matter which bugs I encounter.
    And a lot of the bugs like simulation lag, dine out, fps lag, musical chairs are so prominent that even the gurus have them when they stream. Son in that case I don't care if I never have these bugs. I know they are very common and for that reason I won't support the game period.

It's just my mentality. It's not about just my experience and my fun. It's about everyone else's too. So I do take other people's experiences into consideration.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @aaronjc123 It's the same with the price increase. It doesn't affect me at all right now. I pay the same I used to pay. But I know that there are countries where the prices increased immensely. So instead of sitting there acting all fine cause the issue doesn't affect me, I stand up for the people that are affected by these changes.
    If I just sit here and not complain about bugs and price increase because it doesn't affect me all I will do is give EA a free pass to release more buggy stuff and increase the prices in my country too. Then the problem will affect me too but it will be too late to complain.

It's the bigger picture that counts. Not just only what affects us individually.
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    Seriously, I was SO hyped for the latest pack and the new patch, but when I see all the bugs and incomplete features, I don't feel like start playing or buying new packs at all. We're all kinda used to the bugs by now, and as frustrating as it is that bugs keeps coming back, I feel like the latest patches and this latest pack has just made the game completely unplayable. I don't think it's acceptable that we have to 'see the positives' with broken features and dev mistakes. I would be kinda okay with the incomplete parts if we actually got well tested releases. But as it is, I don't think this game is worth the hassle when SO much is just broken, and it takes AGES for the devs to fix things.

Decorator gigs not working properly, bad quality textures on the new hair colours, No University course for Decorator career, broken mountain excursion, CC chairs messed up because the devs made a mistake - and that's just the start of the list.

I don't understand why this is happening, why aren't they testing their releases properly? It just depresses me, because seeing all the new features; I would LOVE them if they actually worked properly and was properly tested. :s

The only thing I can think of is that the development team is completely incompetent. I've actually stopped playing. I've also uninstalled their garbage game and am not going to look back. If this game were a car it would be called a lemon and have been recalled. I like the Sims but the amount of bugs in it right now make the game unplayable for me.
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited June 2021

@aaronjc123 Personally I don't even care what bugs I get or not. It's not just about me. If I see a big amount of people saying something is very buggy I won't even think of supporting it, no matter which bugs I encounter.
    And a lot of the bugs like simulation lag, dine out, fps lag, musical chairs are so prominent that even the gurus have them when they stream. Son in that case I don't care if I never have these bugs. I know they are very common and for that reason I won't support the game period.

It's just my mentality. It's not about just my experience and my fun. It's about everyone else's too. So I do take other people's experiences into consideration.

I enjoy the game and its content though - I'm not going to stop buying packs just because other people don't feel the same way. I don't think it's fair to guilt trip people into doing so either. To be blunt, other Simmers don't owe you, or anyone else, anything.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I enjoy the game and its content though - I'm not going to stop buying packs just because other people don't feel the same way. I don't think it's fair to guilt trip people into doing so either. To be blunt, other Simmers don't owe you, or anyone else, anything.

And that's ok. There's nothing wrong with keep buying the packs. Heck, I stopped playing for years and still bought the packs because I knew eventually I would play again and I want to play the whole game, not just pieces of it. And it's easier on the wallet to buy one at a time over a long period of time than all at once.

With mods, the game is very enjoyable for me. I do have bugs, but it's usually really simple to make a mod or download one to stop said bug.
  • Options

@aaronjc123 Okay just for clarification there is no guilty trip involved in this and I only shared my personal opinion. Also I nevr spoke about people not buying the game because I don't enjoy it. I never made it about whether or not I find the game engaging. I only said I will not support a product that claims to be working when it has so many bugs for so many simmers, doesn't matter if I exprience them or not.

I never said anything about liking or disliking the game. I only spoke about bugs and the unfair price increase. There is a big difference.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    There's a lot of this game I don't own so I'm guessing I'm not encountering as many bugs as others are. However some things have disappeared from my game, such as mud puddles and the "I'm A Bear" childhood phase.
  • Options
    I literally just went on Twitch, clicke on a random Sims 4 streamer and she was experiencing the fps bug. It's no rarity that these bugs exist.
  • Options
    I literally just went on Twitch, clicke on a random Sims 4 streamer and she was experiencing the fps bug. It's no rarity that these bugs exist.

What is the FPS bug?
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

What is the FPS bug?

@Mstybl95 It's when you enter or exit build and buy mode and the game suddenly becomes very laggy because the fps drops. You have to open up your notifications or options menu to fix it.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Does anyone has toilet on fire bug back or is it just me?
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Bugs are normal goings on with the Sims.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Somewhere way earlier in this thread, I noticed someone was asking how to stop automatic updates. If you don't want your game to update automatically, you need to shut that off in your Origin settings. And, that's all I have to say.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    I don't think they've ever delayed a pack due to bugs or QA. When ever the release date arrives, so does the new pack.

Some bugs are so obvious that any tester would have run into it within minutes of live gameplay. They'll get to the bugs if and when they can.
  • Options
    I don't think they've ever delayed a pack due to bugs or QA. When ever the release date arrives, so does the new pack.

Some bugs are so obvious that any tester would have run into it within minutes of live gameplay. They'll get to the bugs if and when they can.

Thus why I am sincerely awaiting Paralives. Because they're putting a lot of thought into the game and I know they're going to give The Sims a run for their money when it comes out. It will either force The Sims to do better or it'll be the end of the franchise.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Why should they fix bugs when people buy it anyway? From EA‘s perspective quality control is a waste of resources.

Yep. My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've had a bug in my game for a few months now where one sim in the household just won't sleep regardless of their energy meter.

It's difficult to set the conditions for the bug though. The only thing I've confirmed so far is that it happens if sims return from a community lot at night.

I can reset the sim if I exit and enter another lot then go back in again.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,973 Member
    edited June 2021
    logion wrote: »
    It's probably because they are cutting corners and it might also have to do with covid and them working from home. If you look at the credits, they have QA teams in Hyderabad, India.

India have a lot of problems with Covid-19 cases. So they might have trouble working from home and getting things done.

I dunno, that's just a theory of mine.

EA/Maxis been having problems with fixing the bugs way before the virus hit, EA/Maxis for has an poor record in fixing bugs since Sims 2. I play their other franchises and I see an better response to bug fixing than the Sims series.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »
    Pretty much all game studious will release games with bugs. I don't know if Maxis are particularly bad in that regard but they're certainly not unique. Usually it's because they have to work to deadlines to get things out, and the time and cost dedicated to fixing certain bugs before release might not be worth it unless it is really, really game breaking.

As far as I know, this has always been standard practice in the gaming world - look at the mess that was Cyberpunk 2077 for example, and that's a far worse example than anything The Sims has ever done. I don't think bugs when a pack first drops are the end of the world, as long as they're fixed eventually (looking at you, Dine Out).

I'd take the attitude that they will be fixed post release if we didn't still have bugs which started years ago. I have no faith that they will be fixed quickly. I'm waiting to see what pops up and if our lovely mod community can fix them before I get this pack.

I agree with you for all you have to do is look at rate they fixed bugs in the past. and I must say for me is poor.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Bust the dust has extremely low quality management. I mean, a niche pack (as which the kits were advertised) should not make the team busy for months fixing it. There are tons of other bugs waiting out there to be fixed and if you read carefully through the recent patch notes since that kit was release, the question arises whether it is fair to the player base to pull out a kit pack and spend months making it even playable at the cost of the players waiting for older bugs that affect the base game (like the cooking bug they finally fixed) to get adressed.

Now with the new career beeing equally buggy, I fear we will again have to go through the same thing even if we didn't buy the pack - because EA will of course adress these issues first as they want to convince more players buying the pack.
    Exactly, there's always some new bugs they have to deal with, so fixing older ones or bugs that maybe takes more resources fixing get less and less priority. I'm pretty sure there are GTW bugs that probably never will be addressed by the team because they're not deemed 'important'.

True and it will get worse as they keep on releasing packs instead of truly fixing what they have now.
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,256 Member
    This is why I refuse to buy anything else on the release date anymore and just wait around for the fixes. I just recently bought Eco Lifestyle and I haven't gotten the dust one since it seems the problems have yet to be fixed.
    Still waiting for Get To Work to be fixed... maybe someday I'll be able to run a restaurant. :D
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    The last patch broke my game so badly I couldn't get any of my lots to load. It LITERALLY broke the world. I have a very long running, multigenerational save with a pretty complex interwoven storyline, and I thought I'd lost EVERYTHING.

I finally got it working again, but it took me three solid days to fix it (literally the entire holiday weekend). I have it mostly stable again aside from a few lingering bugs...but as paying customers, we shouldn't have to do that.

We're paying to be play testers, basically.

I've purchased every pack from TS2, TS3, and TS4 (to date), but I'm not paying to be a play tester anymore after this.

As a customer, my job is to purchase and play, not to test and fix. If I wanted a headache, I could bludgeon myself with a blunt object free of charge. Just sayin'...

EDIT: Question...IS there a way to NOT install patches and still be able to launch and play the game?

If so, someone please tell me. I don't want to have to go through what I went through the past couple of days ever again, even if it means I never get another pack or any additional content. I'd rather just roll with what I've got than have to constantly keep fixing this game. I spend more time troubleshooting than I do playing, and The Sims is supposed to be something I do for fun when I'm OFF work.

Yes. I don't recommend it, but I haven't patched in a while because I don't know enough about these latest bugs yet and don't want to potentially introduce them into my game. I either launch the game with wi-fi off or in airplane mode.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I don't have those options. I don't play over wifi, and my PC is a "Frankenputer" desktop I built myself, so there's no airplane mode on it. :/ I usually play in offline mode anyway with automatic updates disabled, but I still haven't been able to get the game to launch on patch day without being forced to download the patch first. I shall consult "The Google" and see if it has anything to say. :)

Thank you again. I appreciate it. <3

If you're playing with an ethernet cable, just remove the cable before you launch the game.

I also had a multigenerational save that I just abandoned because this latest patch caused all kinds of problems. Not only have I started experiencing crashes, but I now have loading screen lag. The game plays without problems, but the loading screen seems to stutter and pause and takes forever when it was only a couple of seconds before the patch. I have been rebuilding my world and not playing. I place a lot and then when I exit the lot, the loading screen takes forever and sometimes crashes and hangs. It's really annoying to have to fix this all the time. And it's even more annoying not knowing what's causing it.

I'm definitely going to remove the ethernet cable next time a patch is released. I can't believe I didn't think of that before. I really am such a derp sometimes. I tend to catch the obscure details and miss the blatantly obvious. It's a challenge. :p

Mine was giving me an error code and refusing to let me load lots at all, so you've got a different issue going on. Have you tried the usual stuff? Clearing your cache, repairing the game, and/or doing a full factory reset?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, next question is, do you have any mods or CC in your game? Particularly custom traits?

Also, if your save got corrupted, did you try converting one of your save.ver files to a .save file and loading that to see if performance improved? Have you copied your screenshots and any older saves you're not actually playing into another folder on your hard drive to get them out of the actual game files?

Lagging on the loading screen tells me the game has too many things to "read" on launch, and something about the way the game reads those files might have changed with the last patch (don't quote me on that, because I'm not 100% sure about any changes that might affect that) but delayed loading times CAN happen if there are too many files the game has to read while it's launching. If that's the case, a factory reset might help. Moving any files you don't absolutely need (screenshots, saves, tray files that aren't actively in use, etc.) to a folder on your PC that's not in the game files might help, too.

I have been running my story for so long...there are so many painted portraits, written books, photographs, lifelong friendships, etc., that it would just kill me to have to rebuild and start all over. I spent all weekend testing 8,000 something files to find the problem and fix my game just so I didn't have to start over.

I'm so sorry your game got messed up, too. :( Let me know if you've already tried the things I mentioned above. I'm happy to try to help if I can. <3

EDIT: Afterthought...another thing I'd recommend is opening your task manager when you launch the game. Origin will keep running in the background even if you close it, and it's a CPU hog. Close it (and any other apps you might have running in the background) through the task manager to free up as much of your CPU's power as you can while you're launching the game.

I also couldn't load a couple of my lots. I don't know what I had in them that would have caused trouble. I also had a problem where I couldn't use the sink, but I had that problem since the April patch without mods. Another unusual thing I experienced was one of my lady sims standing to pee. Only one. With or without mods again.

I have updated my mods, tried removing them, deleted caches. I haven't tried repairing the game and I don't have a recent backup of the save. Wish I would have thought of that before. The one I have is from 2016. I am going to do the 50/50 method for mods. As far as I know, everything has been updated and I removed all mods and CC that popped an error with Better Exceptions.

Part of me is wondering if my processor has reached its limits, but honestly, I play far more intense games without issues. I know sims is its own beast, but considering that most of the game is just sims walking around and nothing simulating, then it shouldn't have much to process. And as far as it loading files as the game starts, that also occurred to me with how much stuff I have in my mods folder, however, I actually got rid of a lot of files for the patch and cut my folder down by about 25% and it isn't very big to begin with. I hope I can get it to work. I finished making a new world, but it isn't personalized like my old one. And all my family pictures are lost. I have to make sure all their relationships are created again. It's been a pain in the rear and I don't think I'll be updating again after this insanity.

If you have custom traits, remove any that have an associated .ts4script file (cull both the script file and the package file for that trait). Traits that are ONLY .package files are still working. I have a ton of mods and CC, and during my three day troubleshooting binge, I tested each type of content in increments. My mods tested OK (provided they'd been updated), my Build/Buy, outfit, and hair CC tested OK aside from one object with invalid tuning (but that just gave me an LE and didn't prevent my lots from loading, so that wasn't the problem...but I removed that object anyway.)

When I started testing traits is when I was able to replicate the unloadable lots issue. For me, it was a problem with dual file traits (ones that had both a package file and a script file).

Basically, what was happening was that the game was no longer recognizing those traits as traits and instead was reading them as objects with missing attributes that weren't associated with a sim_id. I was not able to enter build mode from the map on any lot (including community lots) without getting Error Code 122.

I was able to enter lots in live mode, but when I entered inhabited lots, I got LEs referencing sim_knowledge of traits the game THOUGHT had been removed (even though nothing HAD been removed yet at that point). So I THINK EA changed something having to do with the strings associated with traits, which caused traits without integrated scripts to no longer be recognized as traits by the game. At least that's my theory.

All I know for sure is that removing those traits solved the problem for me. My game is functioning normally now (aside from stupid stuff that has always been an issue, like the obsessive picking up and putting down of toddlers, for example) and I was able to fully restore a version file of my save. My original file was permanently corrupted and had to be scrapped, but converting the most recent version file allowed me to recover everything but the last hour of gameplay I had.

If you have version files in your saves folder, they'll have the file extension save.ver followed by the number 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4. To convert those files to a file that will load in the game's UI as a regular save, just remove the .ver and the number from the end of the file name so that the extension is just .save. (Ignore the message Windows gives you when you change the file extension. It's fine. Windows is just being paranoid and overly cautious with that one) but DO make a backup of ALL of your saves before you make any changes to anything.

For good measure, in addition to removing traits with separate script files from my mods folder, I also went into live mode and removed the "Beloved" trait from any of my sims who had it because I was getting Error Code 122, and I read that, once upon a time, that trait caused that error. It prevented players from being able to enter build mode on lots in map view, which is what was happening to me...and we all know how previously "fixed" bugs like to come back again and again with every patch. So, I removed that one, too, just to be safe.

The Sims is a more processor intensive game than it seems like it would be, but checking your CPU's stats in Task Manager while your game is running will answer that question for you.

I'm so sorry about your pics being lost! :( That data (if you're referring to photos your sims took in the game with their cameras) is tied to your clientDB.package file. If you have a backup version of that file floating around somewhere, there's a chance you could recover some of those.

Make a copy of all of your saves (I usually back up my tray files and clientDB.package, too, just to be safe) and move those files to a folder on your desktop. Then go through the 50/50 method to test your mods and CC. If you're getting Error 122 when trying to load lots and you have custom traits, it's probably the same issue I had. Cull any traits that have separate script files and remember to clear your cache every time you restart the game after removing something. "Save As" is your friend while testing. I did a save as and created a new file with every test I ran. Better safe than sorry.

Once you've done that, I'd definitely recommend repairing the game through Origin or doing a factory reset. I actually ended up doing both. If you've not done a factory reset before, there are good instructions on how to do that here.

I actually reset my game every few weeks. It does a LOT to help keep everything cleaned up and running smoothly...and I make a full backup of everything at least once a month on an external drive.

I've had to do a LOT of recovery with this game, so those are precautions I take now.

I know that was a lot...but hopefully some of it helps you. <3

EDIT: To clarify, remove custom traits that have separate package and script files from your mods folder and take those out of the game entirely. If you remove the Beloved trait, you'll have to do that in live mode since it's an EA trait that came with the game. If you don't have a mod that lets you remove traits via the UI, open the cheat console (Ctrl+Shift+C) and enter traits.remove_trait legendary (or traits.remove_trait trait_legendary if the first one doesn't work.)

If you're having the same problem I was, I hope this works for you, too.

Ok...so I found 4 traits that had the separate script files. I just downloaded them and they said they were updated for the most recent patch, but I nixed them anyway. Unfortunately, I still can't get into apartments without popping an error and saying restart the game, but I can get into all of my houses. And I didn't think to try, but I can't get into apartments in any save. Like it simply won't let me in any of the lots.

Oh, man...

I nixed a few that were supposed to be updated, too. I figured it would be best to do so since I'd identified that issue as being the cause of the problem in my game. I didn't test them individually, and they MIGHT have been OK, but I decided to err on the side of caution and get rid of them since other traits that were structured the same way proved to be problematic.

So after doing that, you're able to get into your houses again but NOT apartments? Hmmmm. I've seen a few comments from other players who are having problems with apartments right now, too, so I'm wondering if that's a separate issue that's caused by a different problem.

I unfortunately can't provide any specific insight into that one because I don't have anyone living in apartments in my game, at least not any of my active sims. I'm a build a crazy big house kind of player.

Have you tried doing a factory reset yet? If not, I strongly recommend it. This is a "safe" process. If you do it right, you won't lose anything.

Go to your Documents > Electronic Arts folder and Cut/Paste your entire Sims 4 folder onto your desktop (cut, not copy) so that it's no longer in your Documents > Electronic Arts folder. Don't delete anything. Just move it to your desktop and rename the folder Sims 4_Backup (or something to that effect)

Once you've done that, launch the game as you normally would. A fresh, clean, new Sims 4 folder will be created in your Documents > Electronic Arts folder when you launch the game again.

Your saves will not show up when you relaunch after a reset. Don't panic. They're all still safe and sound in your backup folder and you can add them back later.

Start a new game and test apartments to see if you can load them. If that works, close the game and start adding folders back to the NEW Sims 4 folder from the Backup folder you moved to your desktop.

The folders/files to add back will be...
    • Options.ini file - (your settings) If the game generated a new file when you launched the clean copy, just replace it with your old settings file so you don't have to redo all of your graphics/sounds/gameplay options, etc.
    • Saves - Copy/Paste all of your save files from your backup folder to the newly generated save file. I recommend doing a copy here so you retain a backup copy of all of your saves. Always a good idea to have a backup of these.
    • Tray - Copy all of your tray files from the backup folder to the new folder
    • Screenshots - Optional. I tend to keep these in a backup folder and out of the game files usually, but it's whatever you prefer, as long as you have a copy of them somewhere. :)
    • Recorded Videos - Same as screenshots
    • Mods - ***NOTE*** This is the last step. Once you've copied your saves, tray files, etc. back into the newly created folder, launch the game again and test WITHOUT the mods first.

When you launch the game again after adding your files back to the game, your saved games will show up on the launch screen. Open one of your saves and do a "Save As" from map view BEFORE loading any of your houses. This will create a fresh "test" save for you to work with.

Once you've done a Save As and created a test save, try to enter an apartment lot. If you're still having problems entering apartments without mods and CC in the game, then I'd recommend submitting a ticket over at Answers HQ. After a factory reset and a test run without mods, if you still can't load apartments, then you've confirmed the problem is NOT mod related and is a "legit" problem EA needs to fix.

If you ARE able to enter apartments without the mods folder, then close the game, add your mods folder back, launch again, open the test save, and see if the problem is fixed or if it persists. If you encounter the same problem after adding the mods back, then you'll know it's mod related and it'll be time to start troubleshooting to find out which one is causing it.

There's more info about factory resets and troubleshooting here and here.

It may be that a factory reset solves the problem. It's been my experience that resetting the game periodically actually helps a ton, but this will at least tell you if the problem is mod related or not...and if it's not, then it's something EA needs to fix, so Answers HQ would be the best next step at that point. <3

That was my last resort and it did the trick! It wasn't mod related, just something funky in my file system.

So it works now?

YAY!!! So happy to hear it! :) (and we really need a "big smile" emoji on these forums for moments like this!)

Factory resets (at least in my opinion) are faster and easier than running repairs, especially if you have all/most of the packs, and honestly, they work better than repairs do.

Resets can even help reduce simulation lag a little, at least from my own personal experience.

I tend to do a reset once a month or so as regular maintenance and have found that it helps keep things running a little smoother.

I'm SO GLAD your game is working now! HOORAY!!! <3

You are so right and I'm going to remember to do this from now on. It also got rid of my loading screen lag that started after the patch.

I wonder if this would work with TS3 where I started getting some lag.

I'm so glad it helped!

Resetting has become my "go to" fix for issues that arise in the game. It really does help a ton.

It was the first thing I tried when this last patch broke my game. Because it tends to fix so many things, it can save sooooo much troubleshooting time to do a reset first. It didn't work for me this time, but that's because my issue was those custom trait files I finally identified as the culprit...after three days of troubleshooting, testing, frustration, and tantrums. Haha! :D

Very, VERY glad the reset fixed your game. Happy Simming! <3

@BitterBubbly Well, it happened again. This time it happened in the new save I was creating. I haven't installed any new mods or anything and I don't have the custom traits anymore. I went to play a family I set in Del Sol Valley in one of the houses in that low income area. No matter what I did, I got an error that I couldn't enter the lot. I moved the family out, redid their traits, removed any cc, saved them and put them back into the house. Still couldn't enter. Then I moved them out, entered build mode on the house and removed all CC from the house, changed it into a different type, then back to residential. Saved the lot, bulldozed it, then placed it again. Moved the family back in and still couldn't get in. Then I moved the family out and grabbed a different house from the gallery. Moved the family back in and now I can enter the lot and play the family.

I have another apartment doing this again. I'm going to try replacing the apartment and if it works, then there is something wrong with some builds of mine that had no problems before.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top