Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How does EA make a whole expansion pack disappear?

So recently, I just downloaded a Trial version of City Living expansion pack and played with it for the weekend. After the weekend, I just entered TS4 to check out that save file. The game is actually still playable, but of course, the EP content is missing.

If it had been TS2, then expansion pack content for non-owners would be completely unplayable. Non-owners wouldn't be able to open the save file at all.

Could it be that EA had set a time limit to City Living, and once the time limit was reached, the game would automatically uninstall on my computer and delete itself because they were temporary?

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2021
    I would not be surprised if you still have the pack on your computer you just can't access it in your game with your account because you don't own it, you can check your Sims 4 folder (default path:Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4) and see if you have a folder named EP03.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    It's much the same as downloading a save file that you don't own all the packs for, because of the gallery the games set up to replace any missing items with proxys, so if a pack is removed it's all set up to just replace what you don't have automatically. It's a perfect system for trials really
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    It's much the same as downloading a save file that you don't own all the packs for, because of the gallery the games set up to replace any missing items with proxys, so if a pack is removed it's all set up to just replace what you don't have automatically. It's a perfect system for trials really

I agree. It's perfect for trials.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    So... does that mean, if you buy the expansion pack someday in the future, the expansion pack will be unlocked/accessible? Or do you have to download the real version?
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    It's probably fully downloaded, they've just changed a 1 to a 0 somewhere so it's not registered to your Origin account (likely server-side).
    wJbomAo.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2021
    My guess would be that it was never downloaded to your system, but that you played it on the cloud or something.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    In this article on sims community you can find the EA FAQ for the trial. One of the last questions says
    The Trial has ended. Now what?
    City Living will stay installed on your machine and if you purchase City Living, you will be ready to start playing with your content straight away
    There is even an instruction to remove it from your pc. So this means the EP has to be installed in order to try it. After the trial, it is no longer accessible but still present on your pc.