Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone else have a problem wth where the new save delete button is?

I have a problem with the delete button being directly below the current play button, I’m afraid I’m going to delete the game on accident sometime. Does anyone else have a problem with this placement?

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I have a problem with the delete button being directly below the current play button, I’m afraid I’m going to delete the game on accident sometime. Does anyone else have a problem with this placement?

I haven't updated my game yet, but I've seen screenshots of the new save menu. I already know I'm highly likely to hate it because I've clicked on things accidentally way too many times in the past to be comfortable with that. :/
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    If it happens you get a text box pop up asking if you're sure. So it's a two step process.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member

Omg, YES. I too am afraid I might accidentally lose a save. I'm sure it gives a prompt asking if we're sure we want to delete, but still.....
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I thought the same thing. At least the game asks you if you're sure you want to delete before committing, but still a poor design choice in my opinion
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited April 2021
    I was thinking the same thing as well.
    Post edited by Catzilla on
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I hadn't really thought too much about it but it is in a weird position. I do prefer the old way. To me it just looked nicer. In all honesty though, I'm not a big fan of change. "If ain't broke, don't fix it," as the saying goes. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    edited April 2021
    If you don't click on the save, you can delete it without being asked if you want to delete it. The delete should not be visible until you click on the save.

Eta, yes I have a problem with it.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member

Totally agree. What a disastrous idea to do by putting the "delete" button so close to the "play" button. I don't get why they did that. You're so screwed if you accidentally hit the wrong button. Also, what if you're slightly tired and hit it by mistake. I hope they change that, pronto, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes.

I keep being paranoid I'm gonna hit it and lose everything

especially because I am known to make mistakes like that

3x in row even

i literally be the type of person who keeps cracking egg and putting the egg in trash and the shells in my food while saying no no no NOOOO ERROR

you can't give me 2 important opposite buttons right next to each other
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited May 2021
    If it happens you get a text box pop up asking if you're sure. So it's a two step process.

Good! Because I play a file I have been playing since 2014.

Totally agree. What a disastrous idea to do by putting the "delete" button so close to the "play" button. I don't get why they did that. You're so screwed if you accidentally hit the wrong button. Also, what if you're slightly tired and hit it by mistake. I hope they change that, pronto, lol.

This is me..... I play late at night, and am sometimes tired too.
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    Yeah, I think the placement is pretty odd. I think the old menu layout looked better and functioned better too. At least you get a message when you click delete. But I still think it's pretty bad to have it there for people who tend to accidentally click on things. I do that all the time, so I am also worried about this.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,364 Member
    Yep, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the new layout to.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited May 2021
    That's the first thing I noticed, it shouldn't be that close and small. I know it's two steps deletion, but it's unnerving.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I agree it's an odd choice. I also don't understand why they altered the saves menu anyway. They added in a lot of unused blank space and now there's more scrolling to do to find older/alternate saves.

My assumption is it's for accessibility/visual purposes to make it easier to read save names at a larger size. But why not create some kind of zoomed-in hover window when you scroll over a save?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited May 2021
    I've only now got used to it. There's always "recover save" as the last resort!

I preferred the old "Save as" method though and always backup a second one in case of unwanted accidental deaths and so on. There's always the added risks of power cuts or surges sometimes in our winters too.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    What? This is not in my game, is this a bug or platform thing.
  • BitterBubblyBitterBubbly Posts: 70 Member
    The confirmation dialog pop up was a good call, and I'm glad they thought to put that in place.

However, as a web developer/designer, I have to say that having two buttons as important as "play" and "delete" that close to each other with relatively no visual distinction between the two really isn't in line with best practices in terms of accessibility standards for the visually impaired or those who, for whatever reason, might have difficulty reading or correctly distinguishing text.

If the UI was rearranged to make room for additional elements that may be released in future updates, I can see where putting the buttons close together might make sense and possibly even be a necessary and practical solution.

If that is indeed the case, a better option would have been to make the buttons two different colors. One with a white background and dark text and the other with a darker background and white text.

If they have to be that close together, there needs to be a stronger visual distinction between the two instead text being the sole distinguishing factor.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Yes, I hate it!

I use "save as" a lot and the old version used to keep the same file name and I would just quickly and simply change the last number. Now I have to type out the whole file name every time. :s

In relation to accidently deleting a save, I am the type (when I am tired) to say "No" while I am actually clicking the "Yes" button.

I also liked seeing more of the save files at once instead of the 2 or 3 that are visible now. :/:(
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    Yeah, my first thought too was 'yikes!' when I saw that new UI. Even with a confirmation pop-up it's still a hazardous design. People get spammed with pop-ups on the internet so much they get de-sensitized to actually read them and just click them away because they're annoying. I can totally see players who're a bit tired, distracted, or just haven't put their contacts in expecting to load the game, then have an annoying pop-up in their face, out of force of habit and annoyance (because in their mind they're clicked on the load button) click it away, and oops, deleted their save. Double clicking is a thing, that delete button should not be that 'accessible'.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Argh, I should’ve mentioned this on the feedback thread! I always forget things until it’s too late. 😖

I’ve only used the “play most recent save” button since the patch, so I haven’t had to worry about this yet, but I can see a lot of near-deletion experiences in my future. 😬
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Considering how many people in Sims 4 play with one main save for years at a time... hitting delete should not be so shockingly easy to do on accident.

If they want the general layout they have right now - just move delete to the other side of the bar. And it should have not just a confirmation once clicked, but one with a checkbox also.

The deleted save should then go into a folder of deleted saves, that is cleaned after 10 days.

This new button layout makes it way to easy to wipe out everything on accident.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    Argh, I should’ve mentioned this on the feedback thread! I always forget things until it’s too late. 😖

Ha, lol. Not just that, and I haven't read all the comments in the 25+ pages that got generated in that thread in less than 24 hours, but I'm pretty sure that among all the suggestions and concerns about broken, lacking, or missing game play that people would like to be fixed 'redesigning the UI so the save and delete button are placed irresponsibly close to each other' wasn't one of them. :D
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Zimz4 wrote: »
    AyKooChao wrote: »

Ha, lol. Not just that, and I haven't read all the comments in the 25+ pages that got generated in that thread in less than 24 hours, but I'm pretty sure that among all the suggestions and concerns about broken, lacking, or missing game play that people would like to be fixed 'redesigning the UI so the save and delete button are placed irresponsibly close to each other' wasn't one of them. :D

I posted about it there.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited May 2021
    i did mention this in my comment to that thread but well with amount of posts on that thread it is a needle in haystack
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free