This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

New hairscolors and cc?

Can't explain how glad I am about the new haircolors that's comming with the next patch. Have been waiting 7 years for this to happen!

Just curious if anyone know how this will affect cc hairs in your game? I use so much maxis match cc hairs, and am afraid that they won't have the new colors per default? Does anyknow have inside info about how this will work out? Will we have to update every single cc hair in game? :(

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,795 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm only guessing,.. I think most cc hair will work but I am expecting a few occasions related to DNA where the cc hair can't perform the color that the game suggests. In those cases I have no ide if the game will then know that it should rather relate to the old color system, which most cc creators were loyal to. It might be an minor issue though, as the game already randomly selects the color next to the parent's color, causing a bit more variety than if kids could only inherit the exact same color. I don't know the exact algorithm for the DNA though, guess nobody does. In a worst case I hope it's not more fuss than we can adjust in CAS as the kid grows up.

Eager to learn more about this as my game depends on CC hair.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,438 Member
    I'm not a CAS CC creator, but I am a B/B CC creator. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that the CC creator will need to manually update each hair with new textures if they want to have their hairs match the current EA swatch colors. I'm not aware of any way that Sims4Studio would be able to create a batch fix for CC hairs to reflect the new color swatches because every single hair has unique textures specific to that hair mesh shape.
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    I've created some hairs. It's highly unlikely that CC hair will receive any of the new colors from the game, so the creators will have to update them. I also don't see how Sims4Studio would be able to create a batch fix. At best someone will create a Photoshop action to speed things up, but it will still be a time-consuming process.

So, yes, 99% sure you will have to manually update all your hairs. Active CC creators will probably update them over time. Maybe they'll release them in batches, so keep an eye on their pages.

As for what happens when you switch to a CC hair (through genetics, or otherwise) that doesn't have the new swatch, yet? It will probably default to black, or whichever the first swatch is. Isn't that how they behave right now when they don't have the right swatches?
  • Options
    pallies1pallies1 Posts: 326 Member
    @GreenTurtle Thank you for your answer! Oh my, there's going to be a lot of hairs to keep updating. Maybe a good opportunity to clear out old cc that you don't really use :wink:

And yes, right now they switch to black of the requested color is missing.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,795 Member
    I've created some hairs. It's highly unlikely that CC hair will receive any of the new colors from the game, so the creators will have to update them. I also don't see how Sims4Studio would be able to create a batch fix. At best someone will create a Photoshop action to speed things up, but it will still be a time-consuming process.

So, yes, 99% sure you will have to manually update all your hairs. Active CC creators will probably update them over time. Maybe they'll release them in batches, so keep an eye on their pages.

As for what happens when you switch to a CC hair (through genetics, or otherwise) that doesn't have the new swatch, yet? It will probably default to black, or whichever the first swatch is. Isn't that how they behave right now when they don't have the right swatches?

But don't you think the game knows whether a given hair item has 12 or 20 swatches? Can't the game see if the hair is old or new regarding number of swatches? I hope so, and that they can program two alternative routes for those swatch details. Because EA chooses to do this change 6 years into the game, instead of doing it say 1 year into game , they should know how much fuss they cause unless they solve both old and new versions. If we could opt out on the c hange, fine, but it will be forced onto us, which is another bad. So, I think they will find a way :)

Anyway, if this is a problem only when game chooses swatch for a new life stage, I guess we can live with manually adjusting the CC hairs. I'm pretty sure my oldest CC hair will never get updated by creator...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Personally, as long as my CC hair doesn't actually break or become unusable, I don't even care if I won't get all the new swatches...I've just put a lot of work into giving sims makeovers with CC hair and would hate for them all to turn into that checker board question mark mess.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,791 Member
    edited April 2021
    I hope that old cc hair will still work, otherwise I predict I will see a lot of bald sims in my save...
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    @Simmerville In theory, the game could check if the swatch number exists on a hair and if it doesn't, check which swatch number is closest and use that instead, but I don't think they would add that functionality. Mods aren't officially supported, and since they're updating all the hairs, a vanilla game won't run into this problem. From their end, it wouldn't make sense to spend the time and resources on it.

On the upside, old CC hair will probably still function normally. Only inheritance may be a little wonky if the parents have the new hair colors, which at worst, the kids won't have the same hair color.

Think of it this way, when they added all the new door swatches, CC doors still remained functional. Since they're only adding swatches, the same will be true for hair.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I don't create CC, but I pretty much assumed that the release of the new hair colors will be one of those times I delete my CC folders and start over. I normally see this as a good thing, but I just did it about a month ago.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited April 2021
    I almost exclusively use CC hair so I suspect I won't be getting much use out of these new hair colours. Unfortunate but not the end of the world I suppose.