Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Townies given wrong ages?

So yesterday I went into CAS to give Catarina Lynx (the cat lady) a makeover and I was pretty shocked to see that she's labelled as a young adult. This sim does not look like a young adult by any stretch, in my opinion she looks like a 40/50 something woman who's never married and now lives alone with her 4 cats. That's the character bio I get from her, she's definitely not a young adult in her 20s.

So I looked into other sims in the game and this seems to be very much a running theme, so many premade sims who look like adults are labelled as young adults for some reason. For example all of these sims below are "young adults"...

Be-Funky-collage-1.jpg

In my opinion none of these people even vaguely look like they're in their 20s. Some of them even have teenage kids but are still young adults according to the game. It just seems very questionable, almost like they just made them to be adults and forgot to age them up

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Sometimes, people want to look older than they are...
    With those sims who have teenage children, I agree.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    Good question. I don't mean about the looks-- most of those characters do look like they could be in their 20s to me. Not all 20somethings like to look like big kids ;) But someone with teen children shouldn't still be in the young adult stage.

Maybe they wanted to give these characters more time in the game before they die? Or maybe just an oversight?
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I think Ulrike could be young adult but I agree that the rest do look a bit older
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Good question. I don't mean about the looks-- most of those characters do look like they could be in their 20s to me. Not all 20somethings like to look like big kids ;) But someone with teen children shouldn't still be in the young adult stage.

Maybe they wanted to give these characters more time in the game before they die? Or maybe just an oversight?

Yes, I always assumed that this was the reason. Townies already die every time you blink, so making them older than young adults wouldn't be wise. If you have aging on, they'll soon change to adults and elders anyway.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    It depends when you feel that you become an adult I guess, I think that adult sims in the sims4 look pretty old so the young adult stage should actually be longer than what it is in the game.

I often feel that people in real life can look more older or younger than what they are as well.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2021
    I've always thought, based on YA and A having the same age lengths, that Maxis was using the typical demographic ranges sociologists use, so YA is up to 40, then Adult up to about 65. You could have teens while still a YA if you're past mid-YA, then, especially if you started have kids fast. Honestly, I think some of the Sims are just fleshier, not older-looking. Maybe that makes them seem older? Easy to pop into CAS and age them up, anyway.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    naw im YA and i look vaguely like one of these people so it is very possible to look like that as YA

as for story well that might be bit more puzzling but i tend to age my sims based on looks rather than the "they'd be this age realistically" factor cause i have quite few vampires and other occults with mysterious immortal ages in midst

i just like to think they look young for their age so people see them as ya though their age be whatever

funnily enough this leads to some funny stuff like vlad being judith wards "young boytoy husband" even though it looks the opposite :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I don't know their names but the two on the bottom row, screen left and the guy in the middle definitely look like full-blown Adults. I notice a difference whenever my YAs age up to Adults. They get a fuller face and creases from their nose to their mouths. I'd use the actual name for these lines, but it gets censored. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I've always thought, based on YA and A having the same age lengths, that Maxis was using the typical demographic ranges sociologists use, so YA is up to 40, then Adult up to about 65. You could have teens while still a YA if you're past mid-YA, then, especially if you started have kids fast. Honestly, I think some of the Sims are just fleshier, not older-looking. Maybe that makes them seem older? Easy to pop into CAS and age them up, anyway.

I regard YAs as 18 to about 35-ish. 40 is the start of Adulthood. Mid-life is after age 50. 65 is when we in the USA get on Medicare. So 65 is the beginning of the last leg of the journey, so to speak. I just turned 66. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't know their names but the two on the bottom row, screen left and the guy in the middle definitely look like full-blown Adults. I notice a difference whenever my YAs age up to Adults. They get a fuller face and creases from their nose to their mouths. I'd use the actual name for these lines, but it gets censored. Face/palm.
    I assume it has to have been a mistake with the guy as they even gave him age lines and creases as skin details

04-19-21-5-04-44-PM.png
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think a lot of has it do with clothing/hair style and personality rather than actual looks. At least for me. Like, based on Eliza's personality, I feel she and Bob should definitely be adults and not young adults. Like the whole idea of her character doesn't seem like a young adult to me. She seems way too mature.

Catrina Lynx, on the other hand, I can defintely see being in her 20s or early 30s as well at most. Although, this could be because I'm only 23 myself, have never had a boyfriend yet and I'm a bit of a crazy-cat lady too. Lol. And same with Ulrike, I feel she's a young adult as well. Actually, I find Maaikee to be more "unrealistic" as far as being a young adult goes compared to Ulrike. And as I mentioned, I think it has to do with her hairstyle and the way she dresses. Same with Supriya Delgato. Looks-wise I can defintely envision her as a young adult, but her clothing style makes her look muuuuch older. And I can't remember who numbers 5-8 are, but yeah, they defintely seem like adults to me and not young adults.

And on the flipside, I think there are some premades who look too young to be adults and yet are classified as such, like Lana Mckinnon for instance.
    Lana_McKinnon.png
    I am constantly thinking she's a young adult based on how she looks/dresses but she's one of the professors in Discover University. Which is super off-putting for me. And although he looks like an adult, I feel Marcus Flex should be a young adult based on his personality. I mean, of course adults can still be non-committal, but the whole "unemployed, non-committal" thing fits a young adult better in my opinion. Plus, there's the fact that he lives with three young adults who are clearly supposed to be 20 somethings, although I do normally have to make a few changes to Jade to make her better represent her age. (ie I give her a different career and replace the "neat" trait with romantic normally.)

This makes me want to conduct an experiment with some of these characters, and see what a difference clothing + hair can make, lol.

Also, for reference, I feel the "Adult" stage starts somewhere between 35-40 on Sims.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I usually don't go by their looks. Some people look younger than they are, some people older. What does bother me is young adults being parents to teens. If I remember correctly this applies to Bella goth.
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Semi related but I've been confused about something for years lol

I could have swore Marcus Flex from Get Together was shipped as a young adult. He is in my main save which is nearly six years old. But in every fresh save this man is an Adult.

I don't understand because the rest of his housemates are YAs so why is he the only adult? And I just FEEL like he was a YA when GT first came out and along the way some patch aged him up. Or maybe I aged him down? Idk. This sim confuses me.

In addition I thought Katrina was a YA at first, living with her sisters Nina and Dina.

More on topic I'm actually surprised the Harris couple are YAs, and I've been playing with them all this time.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I usually don't go by their looks. Some people look younger than they are, some people older. What does bother me is young adults being parents to teens. If I remember correctly this applies to Bella goth.

Easily explained by Bella drinking elixir of youth at some point of her life ;)
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    YA to me is 20s and 30s and most of those sims fit that age range to me. Taking YA to mean up to 39 also means them having teen kids is perfectly reasonable.
    Adult sims look 40+ in my opinion.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    In my personal game, I consider young adults to be anywhere from 18 to 39. Adults are 40 to 66.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    To me, young adult is from 18-39, so I think they all look like young adults except Cletus and Faye. I actually thought they were adults until I saw this thread. They look older, plus they have a teenage son. I don’t think it’s that weird for young adults to have teenagers if they’re at the end of the young adult stage, but I think most of the premades are at beginning of the young adult stage when you start a new game, which is a bit weird.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2021
    To me, young adult is from 18-39, so I think they all look like young adults

True, it largely depends how you see "young adults". For me I see young adult as the start of adulthood, when someone's still more teenaged and when people start to mature and settle down (usually in their early/mid 30s) that's when adulthood starts. I feel like for the most part these sims look 35+ to me so if you see late 30s as young adults they do fit in that category.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    The life stages are very open to interpretation. By definition, "young adult" implies someone in their late teens to late twenties, but looks-wise, I agree with previous posters that "adult" sims look too old to be in their 30s. (There are, of course, exceptions in real life, too.) To me, young adults are sims between 20 and 40, adults are between 40 and 60, and elders are 60+, so I have no problem with the premades pictured above all being young adults, in fact some of them even look like teenagers to me with their round faces and perfectly smooth skin.

The only one that surprised me was Vlad being classified as a young adult despite looking like an elder. I'm almost certain that this was an oversight, because while the explanation that premades are made as young as possible so they can live longer makes sense for regular sims, vampires don't have that problem. He could at least have been an adult.
  • Options
    The life stages are very open to interpretation. By definition, "young adult" implies someone in their late teens to late twenties, but looks-wise, I agree with previous posters that "adult" sims look too old to be in their 30s. (There are, of course, exceptions in real life, too.) To me, young adults are sims between 20 and 40, adults are between 40 and 60, and elders are 60+, so I have no problem with the premades pictured above all being young adults, in fact some of them even look like teenagers to me with their round faces and perfectly smooth skin.

The only one that surprised me was Vlad being classified as a young adult despite looking like an elder. I'm almost certain that this was an oversight, because while the explanation that premades are made as young as possible so they can live longer makes sense for regular sims, vampires don't have that problem. He could at least have been an adult.

or maybe its because people would find it incredibly suspicious that this young dude keep being young dude and he has to masquerade and pretend at least every 100 years that he old so human sims don't get spooked too much and flee before he can have snack
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2021
    Well now I feel old. ROFL