This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Are You Dependent on Mods to Play TS4?

Comments

• Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2021
    No.
    I played a completely vanilla game until 3 weeks ago. But I don't use Mods. I have an extremely minimal amount of CC; body hair, eyelashes, an eyebrow and one hairstyle. I did have a set of eye defaults and a skin overlay too, but took both out the same day they were added.

I used a TON of Mods/CC in TS1 & TS2, and loved them until I reached the point where I had stopped actually playing and spent all my time just searching for more and more CC/Mods to put in my game. Eventually I had so much, they broke my game and made it unplayable. I vowed that I would not use either in TS4 just for that reason. There's a point though when it just becomes too tempting after waiting and waiting for what should've been in the game from the start to be added and it never is added.

I've read many, many threads with other Simmers singing the praises of MCCC and will definitely be getting it after this iteration is complete. I'm waiting until then for the same reason others have mentioned. I don't want to take them out with every patch/update and wait until they are updated by their creators to play again. I play every single day and I know if I ever put Mods in, I'd become so dependent on them, I'd be sad having to wait to play my game. I also don't want them to mess up my game again and make it unplayable.

I know there are several other Mods besides MCCC that would make my gaming experience a bit less frustrating, but again, as others have said, I've learned to overlook these frustrations or find workarounds for them. I'm having fun despite these frustrations and they're more annoying than aggravating, so far. Besides, it's fun attempting to use my own creativity in getting around the glitches/bugs and actually use them to my advantage at times. They do make for some fun screenshots and interesting story writing at times. ;)

In summary, I voted no because I'm not dependent, not even a little on Mods to play TS4 and never have been. I have lots of fun without them and perhaps even a bit more fun as a result? The latter remains to be seen. ;)

Happy Simming! <3

EDIT: Corrected a mistake in the list of CC I mentioned that had been taken out. I said 'eyebrow' but I meant eye defaults. Opps!
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,594 Member
    I have been playing Vanilla at the beginning, but over time, EA just added so many bugs and there also are so many obvious omissions that I have to say I'm dependent on mods by now.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    Yes.

Yes. I wouldn't have bought the game Sims4 had I not seen that it was safely moddable. For example, I watched a friend playing Sims 1? back in 2000?? and it was so stupid looking. You pee/poop, eat, work, clean, die. Not my idea of a fun game. Sims4 vanilla, not quite as bad, but at least those annoying things can be toned down with mods. Plus more things added that expand on playing the game as a game! (Not a real-life simulator) This is my opinion.

Ironically, because it was safely moddable, (actually built into the programing), and enjoying it at first, I ended up buying most of the packs over time. Seriously if it takes 4 hours in-game to drink a glass of water and eat a salad, then another 4 hours to pee/pooop, bathe, 8 hours "work/school", and then 8 hours to sleep... bleh...

Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Lather, rinse, repeat. :tongue:

Important parts of the game, I know, just ridiculous without mods. Of course I don't like "God-mode" either.

When I load after mods disabled and play for a bit, yes I would probably give up on the game and not come back.

To be afraid of mods? No there is no reason to be. If one stops working, it's easy to just delete it. Same with any CC clothing or whatever.
    The modders overall are quite excellent. And I have to say, the EA/Maxis programmers are also quite excellent.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    Yes.
    Another 'Yes' due to MCC fixing what's wrong with the core game.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes.
    Another 'Yes' due to MCC fixing what's wrong with the core game.

MCC basically is a program or "app" (as it's called these days, short for application program) that makes the testingcheat codes user-friendly. A menu rather than having to type in each code.

So like the difference between DOS and Windows. (Not that anyone would know what that means anyways. Windows is still running on DOS) :p
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,694 Member
    Yes.
    Mods complete the game.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes.
    and i think ea relies on mods too to fix their stuff for free.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,467 Member
    Other.
    I can play without mods if really needed, done that several times after patching accidently :)
    But I cannot play without certain CAS cc things :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Yes.
    I can’t play without certain ones. There is no way I could go back to a vanilla game.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No.
    "Dependent"? No. Do I use them? Yes.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2021
    No.
    No, I don't use mods. The game is gradually being improved; so, I'm satisfied with my game. :)
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    Yes.
    I waited a long time to add mods, but I can't play without them now. I use MCCC, passionate romance, first love, and the post woohoo interactions. Mostly, I use stuff that improves romance interactions and allows me to edit townies. Unfortunately, there aren't mods for all of the things that I'd like improved, and some of the mods that I'd like to use are no longer updated or available anymore. I tried playing without mods, but I don't like our current relationship system.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 646 Member
    Yes.
    I do use mods to modify some features in game like adjusting pregnancy to have smaller baby bumps, have more moodlets like nausea while pregnant, or other nods.

Some mods to fix the game like to reduce dust build up since Bust the Dust. Or run faster to classes in University. Or to gain skills from completing homework in grade school and high school for children/teens.

I started off doing a pure game for the first 2 years of the game. Then in year 3, I did some light modding and CC. Now I'm in for it all. As long as it's nothing too wild.
    Check out my Youtube channel where I create life simulation gaming videos including content about the Sims 4! MellowGamerChick YT
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited March 2021
    Only mods I use are MCCC and UI Extensions. It would be difficult for me to play without either now, but I would if I had no choice. I wouldn't just stop playing entirely.
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    Other.
    I love mods and prefer to play with them but I can enjoy myself playing without them. I played vanilla for a few days after the update then added MCCC back because a cheat I wanted to use wasn’t working properly and I was getting frustrated trying to figure it out. I’ll readd all of my usual mods again one of these days because I miss LittleBowBub’s cookbook mod and a few others. But I’m not in a rush.
  • Options
    AaleynAaleyn Posts: 322 Member
    No.
    No. I play vanilla. I love and enjoy to play the game as it is, so I don't need any mods (I don't need any CC either).
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,215 Member
    No.
    Dependent, as in I couldn't possibly play the game without them? No. But I do like using them.
  • Options
    mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes.
    I feel like without my mods I could technically still enjoy the game, but I would rather do other things in that case. I constantly use LittleMissSam's mods, mods that improve the club system (I use clubs for many many things that, in particular, wouldn't work with a 8 sim limit), wonderful whims for the fertility, attraction system, extra personality and menstrual cycle; meaningful stories to make the emotions less jumpy, etc... I feel like my gameplay is so much more interesting this way.

edit: forgot to mention the most essential part, the mods that fix the lag!!
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    Yes.
    Yes.

The Story Progression (if it can even be called that...) that comes from Vanilla Sims 4 often just makes my towns and saves stagnate. Not enough people marry and have kids. So I have MCCC to move that along, and Slice of Life to add some spice to my game. Now my saves are alive and thriving instead of just sitting.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes.
    YES. Mods have made my game a 100x more fun. I dont know how I stood to play vanilla. I have about 8 mods that I consider my main mods with 5 more smaller mods that dont require monthly updates. When the game updates, Im fine waiting a few days for my main mods to update (they're usually pretty good at updating within a short time frame) since I absolutely REFUSE to play vanilla. I'll either play offline or play some other games to fill up time. And really, only about a couple of those mods have a high chance of breaking on patch day, so I've never spent more than a few minutes getting my mods up to speed. I'm pretty satisfied with the mods I have now, so usually I just look for CC or new poses to download.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 1,012 Member
    Yes.
    At this point, yes. Over the years mods have ironed out so many of the game's issues, like Sims compulsively leaving glasses of water everywhere or toddlers throwing paint 24/7, that it's a frustrating madhouse without them. The pathfinding and lag are still an issue now, so I retaliate by adjusting motives in a crunch, or using shift-click to teleport sims. I also rely heavily on MCC for storytelling and character-building -- giving Sims a certain number of skills to start off with, for instance. (I wish CAS would let us assign 10-20 skill points to begin a Sim. The Story thing helps a little bit but I'd prefer it to be up to the user.)
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,493 Member
    No.
    Mods can sometimes be nice, but I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm "dependent" on them... The Sims 4 isn't a terrible game... there are just some decisions made by EA that truly frustrate me! However, the content we've been given (though, there's still A LOT missing) is enough to keep me entertained in a playthrough.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Other.
    Yes and No
    I have a Vanilla game that gets played when new expansions or patches come out. I like the challenge until I don't lol
    The other 4/5 games are heavy modded. There are things that bug me and modders are awesome at fixing or adding better game play.
    I can't live without UI cheats Extension, cause I like to be able to easy cheat needs and sometimes job promotions etc, for quicker game play. I only get to play a few times a month. MCCC is great for moving life along for those unplayed sims and other things it does.
    Then I have Zero's vampire mods because Vampires shouldn't have some of those dumb weakness that EA gave them.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,406 Member
    Yes.
    Absolutely! For Sims 1 and 2, were both vanilla. Besides the fact that I didn't understand mods then and tried to download without meshes and the game turned ugly, lol. After about 4 years into Sims3, then a buggy mess when Mr. NRass himself said, you can either fix your game with mods or play it broken...I chose mods and with the help of Blunote and a couple of other awesome simmers, I was introduced to the wonderful world of mods and cc and the rest is history. :D

I only depend on certain modders, namely Deaderpool, LittleMsSam, bienchen83 and now, Mr. Zero to fix the gameplay EA won't or can't. So yes, I guess I do depend on the excellent game mods by these people to keep me from tossing the game into the trash.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    No.
    Nope i don't use mods.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227