Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best and worst Halloween Candy?

NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
Anyone have memories of sifting through their stash, looking for another one of their favorites, or slowly working through (or giving away, or tossing out) their least favorites?

What were the best and worst Halloween candies, in your opinion?

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• NetflixianHereNetflixianHere Posts: 18 Member
    I always looked for the Reese's or Jolly Ranchers. I would say the worst would be candy corn, cheap/old suckers (you know the ones that would always tick to the wrapper so you'd have to peel it off), or circus peanuts.

Another thing I want to say about those type of suckers is that I h a t e that tiny bit of the wrapper that would stick to the candy so you'd either have to A) Dig your nail into it to get the piece off, or B) Throw the sucker away. >:(
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    My childhood faves were peanut m&ms, reese's cups (back then the chocolate actually had enough chocolate in it to not be a pale greyish color, and was thick enough to break, not just at the edge, but through the middle), and Nestle Crunch, and least faves were Whoppers, Pixie Stix, and Sweet Tarts.

There were occasionally some rare, vintage sorts of candies, like Mary Janes (I'm being serious!) and Squirrel Nut Zippers.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    My favorite childhood candies were Mary Janes. I loved the taste of them and every now and then I was lucky to get several full sized Heath bars too. My brothers never liked the Heath bars so I'd trade them my reese's and snickers just for those heath bars. Also did love Tootsie pops too. I used to save the wrappers with the specail markings and ended up mailing them in getting a full bag of tootsie pops in the mail. Halloween was the best time to get them too. xD

The worst candies in my opinion were pixie sticks oh and those giant packs of wanna be smarties that ended up tasting like chaulky tumbs. Those were gross. xD
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I simply cannot enjoy chocolate any more such as Reese's pieces. They give me pretty bad toothaches every time I eat them and I think they're too sweet. It's strange since I can drink soda every day with no problem, but chocolate causes sensitivity problems. The only exception is Crunch bars, they're my absolute favorite candy as a kid and they still are today.

Every Halloween, I try to eat candy corn, especially the variety pack with the pumpkins in them. I love those things.
    A1hnP0t.png
    BMSO wrote: »
    My favorite childhood candies were Mary Janes. I loved the taste of them and every now and then I was lucky to get several full sized Heath bars too. My brothers never liked the Heath bars so I'd trade them my reese's and snickers just for those heath bars. Also did love Tootsie pops too. I used to save the wrappers with the specail markings and ended up mailing them in getting a full bag of tootsie pops in the mail. Halloween was the best time to get them too. xD

The worst candies in my opinion were pixie sticks oh and those giant packs of wanna be smarties that ended up tasting like chaulky tumbs. Those were gross. xD

You must be talking about Necco Wafers. Too bad New England Candy Co. is no more, but I have to say, I never much liked Necco wafers or the iconic Valentine's Conversation hearts that tasted just like them (and were also a NECCO product) much, so I don't miss them.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I'm more of a chocolate candy type of person, but Jolly Ranchers were my "back up" treats!

The absolute WORST thing to me is that orange colored marshmallow in the shape of a giant peanut! The instant one lands in the bag - Halloween ruined! Keep those nasty doorstops!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    I'm more of a chocolate candy type of person, but Jolly Ranchers were my "back up" treats!

The absolute WORST thing to me is that orange colored marshmallow in the shape of a giant peanut! The instant one lands in the bag - Halloween ruined! Keep those nasty doorstops!

Oh yes, the dreaded "circus peanuts" that don't taste like peanut, or quite like marshmallow but just enough to keep you weirded out...I remember those. They don't taste like anything in particular, and nothing about them aligns with being orange, or shaped like a peanut. They just make no sense. And I agree they are a terrible candy. They remind me of those nasty Easter "eggs" that were a thick layer of colorful candy on the outside, and this gooey white sticky not-quite-marshmallow, not-quite-fondant on the inside.

Someone somewhere must love those things because they keep getting manufactured.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

Oh yes, the dreaded "circus peanuts" that don't taste like peanut, or quite like marshmallow but just enough to keep you weirded out...I remember those. They don't taste like anything in particular, and nothing about them aligns with being orange, or shaped like a peanut. They just make no sense. And I agree they are a terrible candy. They remind me of those nasty Easter "eggs" that were a thick layer of colorful candy on the outside, and this gooey white sticky not-quite-marshmallow, not-quite-fondant on the inside.

Someone somewhere must love those things because they keep getting manufactured.

ME! :D I clearly can't be the only one buying them...

If they're cheap enough though, people will buy them to give out, but it doesn't mean that people are actually eating them either. Haha

I also like the candy corns. Everything else you can get almost any other time of year so this time of year feels special to me for those. I hated the sticky any kinds of candies, if you couldn't get the wrapper off nicely, yuck!

Origin ID: Peapod79
    Glad you spoke up on their behalf, @Camkat for yourself and other appreciators of obscure candies.

They are like those NECCO Peach Blossoms, which are actually peanut-butter-filled satin pillow tube candies, with nothing peach about them. They are just peanut butter candy. Which is weird because circus peanuts, despite the name and shape, aren't peanut flavored. HA.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Worst was Smarties. Not the American kind that we call Rockets in Canada, those kind of chalky rainbow coloured rolls of candy, though I wasn't a big fan of those either. But the candy coated "chocolate" M&M wannabe ones.

Reese cups, aero, tootsie rolls, and dots were the best. I still buy boxes with Reese and aero every year in my version of trick or treating (discount candy day on Nov 1) but the other 2 were left behind in childhood but I LOVED them then (I don't know if dots even still exist tbh I'd try them again).
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited October 2020
    BMSO wrote: »

You must be talking about Necco Wafers. Too bad New England Candy Co. is no more, but I have to say, I never much liked Necco wafers or the iconic Valentine's Conversation hearts that tasted just like them (and were also a NECCO product) much, so I don't miss them.

Yeah. I couldn't remember what the product's name was. We had there here in the USA around the 80's and late 90's. They were still gross. I found some still being sold at the gas station a few blocks from me. Apparently they bought the boxes from Marsh before they went out of business here.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

yeah those things will last virtually forever so long as you don't get them wet, being basically just sugar dusted with cornstarch, if not from being nonperishable, then because no one actually wants them except the occasional odd duck like my hubs.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    My preference would be for sour patch kids or swedish fish, but I rarely saw those. A lot of people only give out chocolate for some reason. But for chocolate, I'm happy with any of the classics, Snickers, Twix, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Reese's PB cups (Reese's only, the knock offs are never as good).

The candies I hated the most as a kid were probably the strawberry candies that came in those strawberry printed wrappers (they taste like cough drops) and the cheap butterscotch candies in the yellow cellophane. I was never given circus peanuts that I remember, but they seem pretty gross too.

In the great candy corn debate, I am pro candy corn and creme pumpkins.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,873 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well here in France we don’t have the same candy brands but when it comes to American candy, I love Reese’s cups. You know at first when I heard “peanut butter and chocolate” I was like “ew how strange” THEN I tasted and changed my mind!!

I also like Peanut Butter M&Ms, we don’t have them here (I hear they’re making salted caramel M&M’s here, I’d like to taste them),
    Nerds, Jolly Ranchers.....

Dislikes : Twizzlers,

Now for the candy we have here in France : Kinders, especially Kinder buenos, Dragibus, Coca Cola bottles candy, nougat....
    oooh @Dianesims are those Coca Cola bottles the old-style wax ones filled with syrupy liquid, or are they the new ones that are gummis?

Kinders..you mean KinderEggs? What a strange history they have here in the US. Would love to see a pic of a Dragibus, whatever that is. And good nougat is amazing. Can get it at specialty shops here, but regular cheap candy nougat here is basically just white taffy.

Glad you opened your mind to the combination of peanut and chocolate. :) What about chocolate and mint, do you like that combo?

xicwqMCm.jpg
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Worst was Smarties. Not the American kind that we call Rockets in Canada, those kind of chalky rainbow coloured rolls of candy, though I wasn't a big fan of those either. But the candy coated "chocolate" M&M wannabe ones.

Reese cups, aero, tootsie rolls, and dots were the best. I still buy boxes with Reese and aero every year in my version of trick or treating (discount candy day on Nov 1) but the other 2 were left behind in childhood but I LOVED them then (I don't know if dots even still exist tbh I'd try them again).

You can still get Dots in New England, along with a bunch of other "old-school" candies usually only still found in movie theaters. Like dum-dums, sugar babies, lemonheads, good-n-plenty, and nonpareils, and until NECCO went belly-up in recent times, NECCO wafers.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Well, where I live, which is in America, I could get a pack of Haribo cola bottle gummies. They're quite common where I live.

Traditional kinder eggs though? I have huge nostalgia for them as a child and they were the treat I was looking forward to the most during the time I spent in France. Kinda strange that the US banned them for choking hazard reasons, usually I think Europe would be the more stingy one when it comes to regulation lol. Still, the ones we have in the US would never be quite like the traditional Kinder eggs, I still wish they sold the chocolate egg by itself at the very least. If I could eat them without sensitivity problems that is.
    A1hnP0t.png
    The gummy kinda fizzy ones.

Here are Dragibus :

fofG5Rr.jpg

Here are the kinder I meant, though I like the eggs too. We have a lot of different kinder here. These are filled with Hazelnut cream.

RKcNs7E.jpg

I haven't tried chocolate and mint, I know it's very popular in the USA, but it sounds odd to me, though maybe it's very good.
    oooh @Dianesims are those Coca Cola bottles the old-style wax ones filled with syrupy liquid, or are they the new ones that are gummis?

Kinders..you mean KinderEggs? What a strange history they have here in the US. Would love to see a pic of a Dragibus, whatever that is. And good nougat is amazing. Can get it at specialty shops here, but regular cheap candy nougat here is basically just white taffy.

Glad you opened your mind to the combination of peanut and chocolate. :) What about chocolate and mint, do you like that combo?

I'd get the giant kinder eggs for Easter. Choking hazard ? Because of the capsule with the toy ? I mean I'm not even sure it's possible to swallow that thing, it's quite big.
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Well, where I live, which is in America, I could get a pack of Haribo cola bottle gummies. They're quite common where I live.

Traditional kinder eggs though? I have huge nostalgia for them as a child and they were the treat I was looking forward to the most during the time I spent in France. Kinda strange that the US banned them for choking hazard reasons, usually I think Europe would be the more stingy one when it comes to regulation lol. Still, the ones we have in the US would never be quite like the traditional Kinder eggs, I still wish they sold the chocolate egg by itself at the very least. If I could eat them without sensitivity problems that is.

I just know that the kinder eggs with the toy capsules are banned here because it goes against US food + toy regulations. I think the toys that come with the capsules are too small. Here's a link that talks about why, there's an old law from the 1930's that bans nonnutrional objects embedded in candy.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/the-us-is-finally-lifting-its-ban-on-kinder-eggs-a3691696.html
    A1hnP0t.png
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member

You can still get Dots in New England, along with a bunch of other "old-school" candies usually only still found in movie theaters. Like dum-dums, sugar babies, lemonheads, good-n-plenty, and nonpareils, and until NECCO went belly-up in recent times, NECCO wafers.

We still get dumdums and good-n-plenty but that's all I've seen recently. Of course even pre-covid I still seldom went to the movies and even more rarely their own concession (we have a theater here that has a couple fast food franchises inside it so I go there since they allow those foods in the theater and they're cheaper). So they could very well exist here still just not where I'd really notice.

Though you know I was realizing the other day in scouting out what I want to keep my eye out for when the candy discounts start... the store I usually go to does NOT have good selection (I mean I can still find more candy than I need just that pretty sure there's way more choice out there). I'm trying to recall if it was this bad in years prior or if it's pandemic related. I think maybe it wasn't as bad as this year but they still lacked so maybe I just need to find other stores and see what they have. I know dots are basically jubejubes which exist all over in some way but there's just that nostalgia of those little yellow boxes.
  • MoQMoQ Posts: 16 Member
    Best: Full-sized bars / packs of candy.
    Worst: Religious pamphlets without any candy to go with.

Any candy is good candy though. Beggars can't be choosers.

We still get dumdums and good-n-plenty but that's all I've seen recently. Of course even pre-covid I still seldom went to the movies and even more rarely their own concession (we have a theater here that has a couple fast food franchises inside it so I go there since they allow those foods in the theater and they're cheaper). So they could very well exist here still just not where I'd really notice.

Though you know I was realizing the other day in scouting out what I want to keep my eye out for when the candy discounts start... the store I usually go to does NOT have good selection (I mean I can still find more candy than I need just that pretty sure there's way more choice out there). I'm trying to recall if it was this bad in years prior or if it's pandemic related. I think maybe it wasn't as bad as this year but they still lacked so maybe I just need to find other stores and see what they have. I know dots are basically jubejubes which exist all over in some way but there's just that nostalgia of those little yellow boxes.

Are you having a hard time finding Dots? They have them in Dollar Tree, here. Are they hard to come by where you live?

xicwqMCm.jpg