Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laundromats are not Laundromats

The last two worlds I've played in, Ebony Strand and Great Bear both have laundromats. Except they are not laundromats. They are filled with fridges and stoves. Many Ebony Strand homes also had apparent laundry rooms with fridges and stoves. I do have Loads of Laundry, so why don't they use the laundry machines?

Comments

• jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    The only reason I can think of is that you don't have the required appliances for that venue. So the game "filled" in with fridges and stoves. Do you have Ambitions and Twinbrook? I am not sure and don't remember if EA had put in a patch that allowed those who didn't have that EP to use laundry items from the store (like Loads of Laundry). Just can't remember. It might be, if you don't have that EP, the creators of that world used the laundry items from that EP.

If you do have that EP, cannot even imagine why it would glitch out so badly! But at least you can replace the stoves and fridges.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited August 2020
    Town Life SP also has washers & dryers.
    I'd do what @jaletu2005 said though, just replace the fridges/stoves with the ones u have.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    See I had totally forgotten about Town Life :) . Those were some good items too.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I don't have Ambitions or its world, Twinbrook. I knew some things wouldn't show properly. Even if I don't have the washer/dryer from Ambitions, shouldn't they be replaced with one of the washer/dryer sets that I do have. It's not hard to fix the laundromat, but I can't fix the home laundry because you can't edit occupied homes. It's so sad seeing those tiny rooms with an extra fridge and stove when my Sims visit.

Sadly, the bridge over the river in Great Bear didn't make it either. I've worked through this before by adding subway stations around the world. I'll have to get to that soon. I wish it was standard practice to include the CAW files when you download worlds. That way you can tweak them to fit your own game requirements.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I have both worlds and my laundromats have washers and dryers.its probably because you don’t have ambitions
    @MadDoctor61 I'm not sure if it requires Nraas mods or not, but after testingcheatsenabled, shift-click the ground of any lot and click buy mode. It comes out of your Household funds though.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yes, anyone can edit an occupied residential lot with testingcheatsenabled and a shift-click with no mods required. This is also how we can edit sims' second (third, etc.) home lots if we allow them to purchase more than one. It's certainly easier to reimburse the funds used by way of doing a transfer with MasterController than otherwise, but at least the active household can get their money back using the family funds cheat if the edit ends up costing more money for purchases than it does crediting for sales of the unwanted items.

There may not be a solution for the bridge. Some worlds with bridges missing due to a required EP not being in play can be worked around, others remain broken in that sims cannot figure out how to route from one end of the world to the other (even with modded subways). And yet others will work but the sims will drive or cycle through the air over where the bridge was supposed to be. Most world developers should be explaining why they have listed the EPs they have used as required, but possibly many of them just don't test out their creations with all combinations of EPs missing because there are just too many of them.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    You can edit occupied homes. You don't need a mod to do this, you only need be in edit town mode and evict the household. Pay close attention to how much money the evicted family has because they will need to re-purchase their home in order to place them back in the world.

Once the household is on the clipboard (on your screen), their home will show as unoccupied, note the cost of the home.

Simple math will tell you how much money that household has to spend, just deduct the cost of the home from the amount shown on the family's screen. The remainder is how much cash the household has in its 'family funds'. Don't spend over that amount or else they won't be able to afford their home at the end of this.

Select their home and use the buy/build icon. This will take you into their home so you can make changes. You can buy or sell their stuff. If you are buying things, be certain the family can afford the things you are adding. If a washer costs 1,500 make certain the household has that amount in their family funds.

After you finish making changes, return to edit town mode, click on the household, select the 'Place' button and re-select their home. The game will move them back in.

Easy :)!
    @mw1525 the way myself and igazor mentioned though doesn't require the hassle of evicting and extra math.
    @rubyskywalker - I didn't see igazor's post because we must have been writing (or posting) at the same time due to there being a one/two minute timestamp difference. I was merely pointing out a simple way to alter un-owned lots using the game's own mechanics, which takes no money from the active household like the method you mentioned.

Plus, eviction is a single button operation which I personally wouldn't consider a hassle. And afterwards, there would be no need to reimburse spent funds to the active household as everything would have already been paid for by the receiving family.

Also, in case no one knows or remembers, 'familyFunds' is an original cheat of the game and doesn't require an NRaas' mod to evoke. If one doesn't want to do the math, using the eviction method, they could simply gift the Sim the money and then purchase the desired objects.

It's just another option.
    Oops! I was wrong. There's no need to make notes of funds as it is already there on the household screen. So, this is a point and click only method.

sywxo4a0kfiv5k04g.jpg
    edited August 2020
    There is an advantage to mw1525's method that hasn't yet been mentioned. There is no chance of a sim standing in the way or being in the process of using an object that we wish replace if they are evicted first. The testingcheats way sometimes has to be attempted a couple of times because sims love getting in the way of things whenever they can (not really, it just seems like it sometimes).

But if I have let's say 20 such edits to make in the course of a single game session, which doesn't happen every time I play of course but it could, then personally I would find 20 trips to Edit Town to be far less convenient and more stressful to the game than just getting it done in live mode, one way or another.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor - 20 (or more) edits would be a huge inconvenience no matter which method is used. And, with such a high number of edits to complete during a single game session, at that point you aren't playing the game you're just making corrections or adjustments which it may be better to make a plan for. Especially, if you're concerned about game stress on your PC.

But, If I did have to tackle such a huge number in a single go, using the 'edit town' method, I would only have to enter edit town once and then I could complete them all. This eliminates the need to traverse the in-game map location to location (just an overhead click since the full map is there). I also wouldn't have to keep track of any reimbursements I may have to make to my active family. And, most importantly (for me), I wouldn't have to remember to turn off any cheats after I completed the job and before I saved my game for the night.

Oh, and using the other method, if a Sim is in the way of an area you need, you could always just 'moveObject on' them to get them out of the way. Just don't forget to turn that cheat off or else your save will suffer.
    The point is that there advantages to both methods and perhaps the player would benefit by being familiar with how they each work for when such edits are wanted or required.

I should point out though that there is no real harm in leaving testingcheatsenabled on all of the time other than the temptation to use the commands that it opens up. But MoveObject should never be used on a sim unless one is setting up a screenshot or pose and has no intention of saving and playing forward afterwards. That is something that can be harmful to an ongoing game as the sim's routing from that point forward can become impaired.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I definitely agree that leaving "testingcheatsenabled on" is tempting. It seems I never remember to turn it off, and come to rely on it too much. Mostly not for big cheating, I often use it to delete common bugs when I'm on a bug hunt so they won't show up with the Collection Helper while I wait for new ones to generate. I do cheat to transport the Sim to rarer bugs, because they, especially the butterflies seem to disappear before they can get there or assassin beetles in china which are rare and used for adventures as well as opportunities at home.

I did just transport a sim. Two teen sims were sent to pick up a few things, then go to the theatre together. While they did that, I was busy working with the toddlers at home. The male sim came home. Because it was already getting later, I zapped him back to the theatre rather that wait for him to get there on his own. I don't feel bad. He SHOULD have been there in the first place.
    The point is that there advantages to both methods and perhaps the player would benefit by being familiar with how they each work for when such edits are wanted or required.
    -Agreed. It's always better to know more than one method of doing anything.

I don't know about leaving the 'testingcheat' on, though. I made the mistake of saving a game with it on once and the lights in my family's house refused to stay turned off after coming back to that save. I could turn them off while I was there, but if I left, when I returned they were back on again. Still, some Simmers have saved with it on and it has done nothing to their game. So, I guess it depends.
    edited August 2020
    Okay, clearly if the player has identified an issue that for them seems to be related to leaving testingcheatsenabled engaged then they should avoid doing that. There was a time when I was skeptical about that habit as well, but then noticed that NRaas Overwatch has an option that is not on by default but when allowed switches it on at startup and keeps it on. I asked Twallan about it (this was many years ago when he was still active) and he said that usually, for most players, it is fine to use that feature and it is the way he always plays. And that of course was good enough for me to try it out.

There are a very small number of things that have been reported that happen differently when testingcheats is always engaged, but they are so obscure that most players won't notice them. Never heard about the house lights issue before, that wouldn't be obscure, but for example it's been said that having weight loss surgery at the hospital might result in the "wrong" (temporary vs. genetic) weight setting being adjusted and thus the effects do not last as expected. But these aren't things most of us engage in very much, especially if we have MasterController and CAS standing by to make more permanent adjustments as needed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    The house lights mishap was pre-mod days when I played solely with what came with the game.

In that case, a Sim in my household was stuck so I had to reset him by turning on the cheat. Once he was reset, I promptly forgot I had even turned the thing on. I went on with my gameplay and saved the game at the end while it was still active. The annoyance of those dang lights have served as a reminder to me ever since about the potential of what can happen when forgetting to turn off cheats.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I had the same thing happen to me. I had every washer/dryer unit from Ambitions, Town Life, and the store, but I was missing one set. I downloaded and used a custom laundromat from the Exchange, and of course it used that one I didn't have.

Like you, I was confused as to why the game used a stove and/or a fridge to replace them, instead of other washers and dryers. :D:D:D

Such is Sims Logic. :)
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen to me. I had every washer/dryer unit from Ambitions, Town Life, and the store, but I was missing one set. I downloaded and used a custom laundromat from the Exchange, and of course it used that one I didn't have.

Like you, I was confused as to why the game used a stove and/or a fridge to replace them, instead of other washers and dryers. :D:D:D

Such is Sims Logic. :)

LOL! That is so funny! Maybe they look for something that is also closer to the price? i cant think of another reason. I once started playing with only the base game by mistake so all my ep items were replaced. The bathroom sink got replaced by a bookshelve that wasnt even the same size but bigger. There was an overlap between it and the mirror right above it.