Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Well, Nifty Knitting went down like a lead balloon.

Maybe it's just what I've seen, but I feel like the excitement for this pack in the community is severely lacking.
Looking at sims social channels like the forums you wouldn't know a pack just came out a few days ago because there isn't really that many people talking about it anymore and it's only been a few days. Obviously it's only a stuff pack, but from what I remember there was a lot more excitement when Tiny Living came out, it feels like over the course of each vote the excitement for this pack has gradually gone down and down and down until nobody cares anymore.
A lot of people wanted happy haunts, others hoped arts & crafts would become an elders pack, wanted more hobbies not just knitting, etc etc. it seems like although this was community voted in the end it's not what the community wanted and probably only about 25% are satisfied with the end result.

Majority of Sims YouTubers seem completely uninterested as well, all of the ones I follow posted one singular video on this pack which was just a short overview and then completely ignored it and went back to their everyday content. It took a singular day for people to get bored and move on which really says something when the people who play the game for a living couldn't care less about the new additions to the game.
For example Lilsimsie posted 8 videos playing with Tiny Living when it came out and only two with Nifty Knitting and other YouTubers like James, Deli, Plumbella, Vixella, urbansims etc etc all made one singular video on it and then carried on like it never happened.
It just feels like the excitement for this pack is severely lacking in general, there's definitely more people negative about the pack than there is positive

Comments

• NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I got the pack and think it has some cute content, but I would agree that there is a lot less buzz around this stuff pack compared to others. With community stuff packs you will always end up with 'vanilla' because that is how voting works.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I wasn't really interested in knitting at all and voted for Happy Haunts, but what I've seen so far in NK has really impressed me.
    I love watching my sims knit in their rocking chairs while listening to the new radio stations and Plopsy is a god-send for my artsy sims who want to make a quick buck.
    And I personally have actually seen quite a few YouTubers building houses with the new stuff from NK (I can't speak for gameplay videos because I don't watch those).
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think they realized all you can do is sit and...knit.... like over and over.... lol 😅

To be fair stuff packs don't usually get much attention though. They are so small.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited August 2020
    In my case, it's just because I already knew everything coming with the pack (because of all the deep dives) and, in my opinion, that is not exciting as it is when we don't know what's coming next to the game.
    he/him
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

We know, and have seen votes for everything beforehand.

I think it seems to be good, it delivers what it said it should do. Looking forward to trying it next time when I patch my game.

The people I know who were really excited for it are happy at least so that is nice.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited August 2020
    I wanted a granny styled pack instead of this pastel fest and that's why I'm waiting for a sale. It still seems like a pretty good pack to me and I definitely want to get it later.

When it comes to other stuff packs and the buzz, I don't really follow that. Have to say though that Tiny Living is a very different concept and the offers a challenge that's particularly inspiring for builders like Lil'Simsie, so I don't think it's fair to compare the amount of videos made for these packs.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited August 2020
    I like it but it is a stuff pack. I think it would be weird if a stuff pack generated the same level of excitement as an EP or a GP. We have a new skill and interactions, new CAS and buy mode items, as well as Plopsy and the new radio stations. Those things are great additions to my game but they aren't on the same level as weather, university or magic.

I said in a different thread that I think it's a bad idea to play with new content exclusively and then you're bored with the pack within 2 weeks of buying it. For me, new content works best if used to enhancing existing gameplay. I've got knitters in my current game and that's cool, but I am not forcing them to do nothing but knit every waking moment between attending their needs. They still have jobs and aspirations to deal with, and I haven't used a rocking chair yet, or had a cat play with a ball of wool. I had my sims buy a few things from Plopsy then decided to restrain myself and let things happen more naturally. The pack will show its worth over time and that, for me, is more important than an immediate rush of excitement followed by burnout.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Lol, another thing to add to my to do list. Add a cat to the household. 😄
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83 totally agree with this. I still have stuff to do from eveypack because I don't spam it till I'm bored. I integrate it into my gameplay as needed.

I just started knitting and using the rocking chair. (You will like their relaxed expression🤭)
    I'm not planning on getting a cat until later as the storyline progreses.

I do think everyone who voted knitting is happy with it. Vocal vs silenty minority
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    I still have things to do in packs I've owned for a year or more anyway. For example, I have never done the Villainy degree from university, and I'm not sure that I've fully explored the secret society. I've owned Outdoor Living for years and I don't think I've fully completed the herbalism skill or learned every potion, and the same with catching every fish and finish collectings. Yes, there are certain things I do over and over again, but that just makes it more fun when I learn something new.
    I do think everyone who voted knitting is happy with it. Vocal vs silenty minority

Definitely. It seems to be human nature to be more vocal about the things we dislike.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2020
    To be fair, there's less to talk about. We already knew what we were getting because we were involved with deciding things. Many Game Changers made videos about each step of the voting process. The gameplay itself isn't very exciting or vibrant, so it doesn't have longevity for much video content. Not that it matters, since building has become the main thing for most Game Changers - hence why Tiny Living got more focus.

As for the arguments, I get why there are a lot of people who are upset. It does seem like a boring idea for a pack. If Knitting got like 40% of the vote, that leaves a ton of people to potentially be mad. Many of them might not have been around to vote either. And there's still the issue of the rest of the game being underdeveloped, so fluff and enhancements will trigger some people.

(Though I admit, the cranky old man in my heart loves seeing Nifty Knitting get dragged for being boring. I genuinely really like the pack, easily the best pack of the year. But I will forever feel bitter about losing Happy Haunts.)
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Because it's a SP about knitting, and a very bare bones hardly nothing to it SP about knitting xD.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Because it's a SP about knitting, and a very bare bones hardly nothing to it SP about knitting xD.

Not for me! 🥰

Not for me! 🥰

Good that you are enjoying it, I am just replying to the OP why some people aren't talking about it is all.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2020
    I didn't vote for NK, I wanted HH. But I still like the pack. I find it gives me more gameplay than most SPs. Actually, I'm a bit confused by this thread because most of the feedback I have seen has been positive except for LGR's review.

Then again, I don't tend to watch game changers etc (only saw the LGR review because it was shared on the forums by someone).
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Yeah, i noticed the lack as well. I am kinda disappointed. I wanted to be part of the hype since i was mostly not around during past releases but it seems like this pack has little to no hype here lol. Did past stuff packs have more buzz around them after release? i was not around like i said so this might be normal after all.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Well there isnt much to talk about when you've known for almost a year what exactly is going to be in that pack. What's left to speculate when you already know the items, the theming, the CAS, the B/B and the title? Little to nothing.

I want Metal music and Plopsy in my game, but not that bad that Im willing to shell out $10. (Wouldve been happy even if just Metal was added in a patch) I have no immediate desire for it, so I'm just waiting for giftcards and sales to come along before I buy.
    Well there isnt much to talk about when you've known for almost a year what exactly is going to be in that pack. What's left to speculate when you already know the items, the theming, the CAS, the B/B and the title? Little to nothing.

I want Metal music and Plopsy in my game, but not that bad that Im willing to shell out $10. (Wouldve been happy even if just Metal was added in a patch) I have no immediate desire for it, so I'm just waiting for giftcards and sales to come along before I buy.

This is why I don't like the fact that the gurus tend to showcase so much of the CAS and buy mode in the videos now, including multiple swatches of the same thing. They didn't do quite as much of that in the NK video as far as I recall but in some of the pack videos within the last year or so they definitely showcased almost everything, and that makes it a little less fun (for me, at least ) when you get to look at the items in game for the first time. I agree that it's less exciting in a way when you've known for a long time roughly what's coming.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    There's just not as much to talk about now since we all new what was in it already. We were excited earlier instead when the features were announced.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm not sure. Tiny Living sure generated a lot of videos.

Maybe because there was not much left to talk about... Simguruconor and SimguruSarah did a really god job showcasing the pack before it released.

I do like the discussions that we are having on the forums after LGR's review though, I think it is interesting to hear people's different views on stuff packs overall.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to make an exciting video about knitting. I have watched Dr Gluon play the pack and while he tries to make it entertaining by doing silly things like adding 100 balls of yarn to the lot every time he plays, he has said multiple times during the video that he is sorry that there is not much focus on knitting, because when his sim is knitting there is not much else he can do except watch, so he does other silly stuff like creating clubs and other things.

Is it wrong to say that I feel that excitement for the sims4 overall seems lacking? For a game that apparently has millions of users, you would expect the views on YouTube and comments to be way more.
    logion wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Tiny Living sure generated a lot of videos.

Maybe because there was not much left to talk about... Simguruconor and SimguruSarah did a really god job showcasing the pack before it released.

I do like the discussions that we are having on the forums after LGR's review though, I think it is interesting to hear people's different views on stuff packs overall.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to make an exciting video about knitting. I have watched Dr Gluon play the pack and while he tries to make it entertaining by doing silly things like adding 100 balls of yarn to the lot every time he plays, he has said multiple times during the video that he is sorry that there is not much focus on knitting, because when his sim is knitting there is not much else he can do except watch, so he does other silly stuff like creating clubs and other things.

Is it wrong to say that I feel that excitement for the sims4 overall seems lacking? For a game that apparently has millions of users, you would expect the views on YouTube and comments to be way more. Their tweets get what... a thousand likes...out of 2 million subscribers?

Not at all, many many people (myself included) feel like this.