Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

XQ Showcase. Latest: The Art of Charm

167891012...Next

Comments

• XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2020
    Gallery link: Skeldale Veterinary

I recently got my hands on the Cats & Dogs expansion, so of course I started redoing stuff. First thing was Whiskerman's Wharf. I decided that this, really, was where the vet clinic should go, so I made one. I call it Skeldale Veterinary, which is of course a reference to Skeldale House, the vet clinic in James Herriot's vet stories. It's been a while since I read the books, but I seem to recall that Skeldale House is supposed to be at least three storeys high and be more of a townhouse sort of deal, very deep from front to back and with a lot of living space. I don't think that's going to work in the Sims 4 world, though, so this isn't that.

(I'm not the first person on the gallery to reference Skeldale House with a vet clinic build, incidentally. It just goes hand-in-hand, doesn't it?)

sv01.jpg

Instead, this is a converted cottage in a dirty industrial brick, with a yard in the back for training pets.

sv02.jpg

Here's the main examination area. There's the surgery station and the medicine crafting station, because I figured it would be more efficient to have everything in the same room.

sv03.jpg

Floor plan of the ground floor shows a waiting room and a kitchen in addition to the above. I used to have a cat tree in the waiting room, thinking it would be cool to let cats play on it while waiting their turn, but it turns out that once a cat gets into a cat tree, there's no getting it out again for a vet examination. So I got rid of it and put a fireplace in instead. Meanwhile, the kitchen should function as an employee break room. Being at work is no excuse to not eat well.

sv04.jpg

And upstairs, we have a little bed-sit area. Zoning bylaws in the Sims 4 won't allow you to register a vet clinic as your primary residence, but if you're putting in a lot of long hours at work here, it might be nice to have a place where you can spend the night now and then, or take a shower because if there's one thing I've learnt from reading James Herriot it's that a vet can frequently end a shift just covered in blood and, um, worse.

sv05.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Skeldale Veterinary is a lovely vet clinic for Brindleton Bay! :) Very nice homely cottage exterior design! The roofing and bay windows are very nice! Very nice pets training area in the back yard! Very nice interior layout and furnishing with the vet themed items. It is great there is a sleeping, bath/shower room and sitting area on the upper level for the vet.
    It is a very nice vet clinic to take sick animals to ,
    Thanks, @rosemow! Maybe one day I'll redo it as a residential lot, too.
  • Jen411371__Jen411371__ Posts: 36 Member
    This lot reminds me so much of an emergency vet I had to visit here in Cheshire, UK. Amazing job, cant wait to download it!
    Hope you have a lot of fun with it, @Jen411371__ !
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    I love your science center! Looks beautiful.
    The Veterinary looks very cute
    Thanks, @illusie !

(Yeah, I'm kind of away from simming for a bit ... again. Not to worry, I'll be back eventually.)
    Gallery link: Volcanic Temple

VT01.jpg

Well, I've been busy with work in the midst of this past year's nastiness. Plus, the platforms update last November introduced a bug that prevents stairs from being usable when they pass through a room with a deleted floor. Since that's 90% of my builds and I don't care for the various workarounds available, that pretty much means I can only build but cannot play. This one build isn't affected by the bug, though, since all the stairs in it are exterior stairs.

It's the only logical outcome from a meeting between Island Living and Jungle Adventure. An ancient temple at the foot of Sulani's volcano. Which has been set up as a spa because why not. Hot springs ahoy!

Back view:
    VT02.jpg

Yep, there's the volcano's caldera just behind the temple/spa. I wonder how it's managed to survive the centuries, what with the regular eruptions and lava flow and whatnot. Must be the island spirits.
    VT03.jpg

Main floor plan. There's the locker room and bath. The temple priests give yoga lessons daily before the great Zazatototl totem.
    VT04.jpg

And there's the sauna upstairs. All that volcanic heat has to go somewhere, after all.
    VT05.jpg
    Volcanic Temple is a lovely spa at the foot of the volcano! :) The temple design and the layout of the build is very nice! Very nice dome roof tower areas! The tropical tree, plants and flowers are lovely! Very nice hanging greenery.The pool area is very nice, and lovely yoga area for sims to enjoy attending a yoga class. The sauna is very nice for sims to rest in.
    It is a lovely restful venue to visit :)
    Thanks, @rosemow ! I really like the way the towers turned out, too, not to mention the greenery as I usually struggle with landscaping.
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,100 Member
    Awesome builds @Xinqun! Congrats on your Maxis fave, and getting featured in Friday highlights last Friday!
    4kkjdXo.png

I love Volcanic Temple <3 It's beautiful
    edited July 2021
    Thanks, @illusie! And I've just posted another thing to the gallery. Give me a moment, this is going to be a bit of a long post....

I went and picked up "Realm of Magic" a week or two ago, mostly because I heard that the build items were To Die For but the in-game builds To Die From. Yes, bad (or, at least, questionable) in-game builds are actually a selling point for me. A lot of my builds are really just taking existing Maxis builds and making them Better. The very first build on this thread was basically Affluista Mansion #butbetter, and it's just gone on from there.

So, here's The Art of Charm

It's a rebuild of Rock Ridge Canyon in Glimmerbrook. That's the Charm family home. And I thought I'd talk a bit about my Process when it comes to redoing these in-game builds.

First thing I do is, I look at the build and I say, "What is going on with you, build? What are you trying to do, and what are you trying to be?"

oldface.jpg

All right. Glimmerbrook is all about the Art-Nouveau, which intersects with the late Victorian and Edwardian eras. Looking at the original building, I can see that it's basically a squarish block with a tower in the front left and some sticky-outy bits on the ground floor. There's a sort of terrace thing on the third storey that I'm not too sure about, but we'll get back to it.

oldplan.jpg

Let's see. On the first storey, we have two living areas; presumably one is meant to be the living room and the other the library. There's a weird corridor wrapping around one of those, which strikes me as a massive waste of space. So nope, not doing that. And in spite of all that space, we have the powder room door opening directly into one of the living areas. Nope. That might be fine for a small cottage but this is a mansion so if we can avoid having people look right into a toilet while chilling in front of the TV, we're doing that. Also, the dining area is in the kitchen itself? Again, fine for a small house, but this is a mansion and if we can afford to waste space on empty corridors ... Also, why don't we push that stair up against the wall? So: living room sticking out on the left, library looking out in front, powder room somewhere, kitchen in the back, and let's add a dining room.

Okay, next storey. Bedrooms. Three bedrooms, one bathroom, bit of a study area on the landing. Master bedroom is a weird C-shaped corridor which we are definitely not doing.

Third storey is ... um ... nothing. Living space? Study? There's a very fancy bathroom, and it looks like this was meant at one point to be the master suite until someone removed the bed. Hm. We don't actually have a reason to keep the third storey at all, except that the tower would look pretty cool. Maybe we should put most of this behind a mansard, though that might make the terrace difficult to do. Maybe have an atrium thing with a glass roof instead? That's an idea.

So! Taking all that into consideration, here we go. Front and back:

charm01.jpg
    charm02.jpg

Kept the basic principle of the squarish central block with the tower, though I shifted the tower a couple of squares to the right so as to get a bit more articulation on the left facade. The bump-out of the living room now provides a second-storey terrace, while the bump-out on the right side has been reduced to just a small bay window. There used to be a bit more fussiness with the back as well, but I cleaned that up. I was debating on whether or not to keep the covered porch/balcony in the back but ended up deciding against it.

Figuring out the roof style took forever, but I think the Second Empire curved mansard goes very well with the Art-Nouveau aesthetic.

Floor plans:

First storey:
    charm03.jpg

As you can see, I eliminated the useless corridor space in favour of putting in a dining room. The overall square footage is much reduced, but I feel like the actual usable space is greater.

Second storey:
    charm04.jpg

I think the rectangular bedrooms make for an easier and more comfortable living space than anything weirdly shaped. The master bedroom no longer has direct access to the bathroom, but it's probably for the best: bathrooms with more than one entrance always make me nervous. I also moved the workout machine upstairs.

Third storey:
    charm05.jpg

Yep, stuck most of it behind a mansard roof, so the tower can stand alone in all its glory. That long, empty space made the perfect duelling piste, though sadly I had to remove most of the columns for it to function as such. Naturally, the workout equipment came here.

And now for a few interior shots.

Here's the living room:
    charm11.jpg

The dining room:
    charm13.jpg

And one of the bedrooms:
    charm15.jpg

But I'm probably proudest of the duelling piste with the glass roof:
    charm17.jpg
    Your version of Rock Ridge Canyon is lovely! :) The roofing is very nice and the patterned stained glass windows are pretty! It was great reading your thoughts about the original home, and then your approach to how you did your version, and the changes you made. The interior layout and furnishings are very nice! The wall patterns and patterned flooring in the rooms and the room colors are lovely! Very nice dueling room! The patterned glass roofing is pretty! Very nice bug lights on the walls.
    It is great that you now own the Realm of Magic pack :)
    Great make over of the Rock Ridge Canyon!
    Thanks, @rosemow, @illusie! Your encouragement is always appreciated.