Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 in Development - Exciting Clues!

Comments

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Why would they even consider making a second Spore game?

VR: You can BE the Beast.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member

I never played it, but it was decently popular. It’s also been getting a bit of nostalgia / think-piece resurgence lately. People have been going back to it and talking about its innovations, ambition, systems, community in terms of the history of video games. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s evidence of demand, and if there’s evidence of demand, well, $$$$

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

I never played it, but it was decently popular. It’s also been getting a bit of nostalgia / think-piece resurgence lately. People have been going back to it and talking about its innovations, ambition, systems, community in terms of the history of video games. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s evidence of demand, and if there’s evidence of demand, well, $$$$

Wasn't Spore overhyped and a massive dissapointment that was one of the reasons why Will Wright eventually decided to quit EA?

Even thought it got pretty good reviews a lot of people were dissapointed that a lot of the content was scrapped and the game didn't sell nearly as many copies as any of the Sims games. Or at least this is what is estimated. I don't see EA reviving a 12 year old game instead of working on a new game for a franchise that has been selling a lot more. Personally I wouldn't mind a Spore 2, the idea was revolutionary at the time and I liked it.

I see the hype and following Spore has gotten in the last few years and you know same goes for The Sims 2 which has been revisited again and again by lots of YouTubers. Despite the following EA refuses to release it on Origin for some reason so...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Spore was OK. The evolution aspect of it was the most appealing to me, but that’s only for the first half of the game. In the second half you’re building structures and flying space ships claiming territory and planets.

It had a really cool creator, even for the buildings and space ships, but I did not think the civilization type gameplay was fun.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

Wasn't Spore overhyped and a massive dissapointment that was one of the reasons why Will Wright eventually decided to quit EA?

Even thought it got pretty good reviews a lot of people were dissapointed that a lot of the content was scrapped and the game didn't sell nearly as many copies as any of the Sims games. Or at least this is what is estimated. I don't see EA reviving a 12 year old game instead of working on a new game for a franchise that has been selling a lot more. Personally I wouldn't mind a Spore 2, the idea was revolutionary at the time and I liked it.

I see the hype and following Spore has gotten in the last few years and you know same goes for The Sims 2 which has been revisited again and again by lots of YouTubers. Despite the following EA refuses to release it on Origin for some reason so...

Things never seem to go well with that game or any spin-off from it. I remember that EA came out with Darkspore (Maxis @Emeryville):
    Darkspore was a video game that borrowed creature editing technology from Spore. It was described as "a fast-paced, science fiction action role-playing game in which the player battled across alien worlds to save the galaxy from the mutated forces of Darkspore". In addition to the creature editor, the game features a unique squad-based mechanic, various multiplayer options, and a player versus player arena. The game was released in North America on April 26, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, and in Europe on April 28, 2011.

EA has removed the store page of Darkspore from Steam, meaning any attempt to purchase it through Steam cannot be made. The game was later relisted with EA saying that they would continue to support the game. Those who have purchased it prior to the page's removal still have the game and could play it until the servers were shut down permanently on March 1, 2016. The game is currently unplayable without circumventing its DRM scheme that requires a connection to servers which no longer exist.

So I don't think this job is for anything related to Spore.

Also, I don't want TS5 to be tethered to a server in order to play the game.

• Options
    I know some people are worried that if TS5 is going to be made with the Unreal Engine that it might not be moddable. I'm not sure where that myth came from that you can't mod UE games but I've played plenty of them that have mods.

What I'm hoping EA will do is include a modding kit specific to TS5 with all the tools needed to create any kind of mod or CC (especially more advanced type of CCs) for the game. So far here are some links for modding a UE game. They might give insights to modders interested in modding for The Sims 5 if it's made with the UE engine.

Add Mod-Support to Your Unreal Engine 4 Game: This is just to show that it's possible to add the ability to mod UE games. I'm sure Maxis would want to add the ability for The Sims 5.

Modding - Unreal Engine Forums - "All things mods. Looking to build a mod for an Unreal Engine 4 game? Wanting to make your game moddable? This is the place for you." Some games have their own section. Maybe we can request to have a The Sims 5 section added there if UE is what Maxis is building the game on. From what I can see, UE devs are quite active there to help modders with their questions, so that's good!

That forum has other interesting sections too such as "Content Creation," "Animation," "Cinematics," and "Editor Scripting" that I think will be useful not only for modders but CC creators too!

Unreal Engine 4 @ Mod DB - Mod DB has a whole section on UE modding. This page is just the summary, but at the top, there are sections on articles and tutorials from modders who are writing about their experiences of modding for a UE game.

• Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    Speaking of Spore, I originally thought the vehicles were actually living creatures before I played the game. I seriously thought you could have a spore creature with catipilar tracks. But getting back to topic, it seems EA will have to do SOMETHING with Paralives being competition and all.

I really won't be happy with The Sims unless they bring werewolves back. I have a gaming PC which is probably too powerful for Sims 3 and I really want to play sim me as a werewolf, and not just a hairy orc, but a propper werewolf with a muzzle and everything. I'm not a modder either.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Toz91 wrote: »
    Speaking of Spore, I originally thought the vehicles were actually living creatures before I played the game. I seriously thought you could have a spore creature with catipilar tracks. But getting back to topic, it seems EA will have to do SOMETHING with Paralives being competition and all.

I really won't be happy with The Sims unless they bring werewolves back. I have a gaming PC which is probably too powerful for Sims 3 and I really want to play sim me as a werewolf, and not just a hairy orc, but a propper werewolf with a muzzle and everything. I'm not a modder either.

@Toz91 Paralives is still in very early stages and also made by a small group of people. I don't think they see it as a thread and I understand why but I guess it would be good if it was more of a thread during the development of The Sims 5.
  • Options

I don't understand the fascination with werewolves. They were the most boring occult life state in TS3. What are you hoping for if they get added to TS5?

• Options

@Toz91 Paralives is still in very early stages and also made by a small group of people. I don't think they see it as a thread and I understand why but I guess it would be good if it was more of a thread during the development of The Sims 5.

I know they just added another programmer so that's something. I like them a lot - they're a lot more communicative and honest then EAxis.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I know they just added another programmer so that's something. I like them a lot - they're a lot more communicative and honest then EAxis.

@ClarionOfJoy I understand, personally I am very cautious when it comes to these kinds of projects especially since the Chronicles of Elyria kickstarter scandal.
    Even if Paralives is 100% legit I will be convinced once there is more substancial evidence.

At least maybe EA will learn to be more communicative because of Paralives and maybe even implement the improvements we voted on in the surveys for "The Sims 4" in the Sims 5.
  • Options

@ClarionOfJoy I understand, personally I am very cautious when it comes to these kinds of projects especially since the Chronicles of Elyria kickstarter scandal.
    Even if Paralives is 100% legit I will be convinced once there is more substancial evidence.

At least maybe EA will learn to be more communicative because of Paralives and maybe even implement the improvements we voted on in the surveys for "The Sims 4" in the Sims 5.

Chronicles of Elyria was in development for like 4 years, but had very little to show for it - a lot of talking and planning but very little coding and implementing their ideas. Paralives team is a lot more disciplined than that, so there's more hope for them than that MMORPG.

I don't know about EA though. I honestly miss the old leadership. Yeah, they were cut-throat with their game studios, but that cut-throat expectation drove the game studios to create amazing, cutting-edge games. Now? Every game franchise has been messed up and they lost a lot of customer trust.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Chronicles of Elyria was in development for like 4 years, but had very little to show for it - a lot of talking and planning but very little coding and implementing their ideas. Paralives team is a lot more disciplined than that, so there's more hope for them than that MMORPG.

@ClarionOfJoy It's not about discipline it was more of a hoax. The game's "creator" was giving himself a high salary off of the money from the audience while trying to get investors to fund then game, when he had acquired a lot more moeny than his goal was. Also his goal was way to low for an MMORPG development. There was something fishy there from the start.
    A similarity I see with Paralives is that both games would release a lot of "gameplay" teasers but it turns out the ones from Chronicles were pre-rendered.
    Even though the Paralives team really doesn't seem so fishy I personally cannot trust anyone who has so ambitious goals with such a small team and budget. But that's just me.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

@ClarionOfJoy It's not about discipline it was more of a hoax. The game's "creator" was giving himself a high salary off of the money from the audience while trying to get investors to fund then game, when he had acquired a lot more moeny than his goal was. Also his goal was way to low for an MMORPG development. There was something fishy there from the start.
    A similarity I see with Paralives is that both games would release a lot of "gameplay" teasers but it turns out the ones from Chronicles were pre-rendered.
    Even though the Paralives team really doesn't seem so fishy I personally cannot trust anyone who has so ambitious goals with such a small team and budget. But that's just me.

I seriously don't want EA's The Sims franchise to be the ONLY option. I REALLY don't trust EA anymore. The Paralives team hasn't done anything to damage my trust, so in the meantime, I'm going to support and encourage them. I'm going to do the same thing for Paradox Tectonic's game too.

This is EA's forums after all, so I already know there are people here who are going to try to paint the competition in the worst light possible. EA should just focus on making TS5 amazing instead. If it is, they won't have to worry about the competition.

• Options

This is EA's forums after all, so I already know there are people here who are going to try to paint the competition in the worst light possible. EA should just focus on making TS5 amazing instead. If it is, they won't have to worry about the competition.
    @ClarionOfJoy
    No wait I'm actually more interested in Paralives than I am in the Sims 4 at the moment and sorry I didn't make that clear. I'm just really worried 'cause it is very ambitious and has so limited resources. It is very similar to Chronicles of Elyria in many ways which makes me question things. I know this is a topic of its own but I thought I might mention it.

Right now I'm only looking for Sims 5 and Paralives news, but just because I like Paralives and hope it's a great game doesn't mean I trust the developers blindly. Same goes for the Sims 5 btw.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

@ClarionOfJoy
    No wait I'm actually more interested in Paralives than I am in the Sims 4 at the moment and sorry I didn't make that clear. I'm just really worried 'cause it is very ambitious and has so limited resources. It is very similar to Chronicles of Elyria in many ways which makes me question things. I know this is a topic of its own but I thought I might mention it.

Right now I'm only looking for Sims 5 and Paralives news, but just because I like Paralives and hope it's a great game doesn't mean I trust the developers blindly. Same goes for the Sims 5 btw.

If you care so much, you can easily bring those worries to the Paralives staff ON THEIR WEBSITE instead of posting them here in the official EA The Sims forums. Because airing them HERE isn't going to help THEM address your fears since they won't know, right?

• Options

@ClarionOfJoy

If you care so much, you can easily bring those worries to the Paralives staff ON THEIR WEBSITE instead of posting them here in the official EA The Sims forums. Because airing them HERE isn't going to help THEM address your fears since they won't know, right?

Wow where are you going with this, man? @SimmerGeorge is just expressing why he’s feeling cautious about an ambitious Kickstarter project like Paralives, which is totally understandable. I agree 100%. Just because you’re interested in something and want to support it, doesn’t mean you can’t be vigilant.

Also note that It’s being expressed on the Sims forum because YOU, @ClarionOfJoy are the one constantly bringing these other life-simulators up. It’s Paralives here and Paradox there. Or do you only want to talk to people who agree with everything you say and want everything exactly the way you want it?

If you’re not interested in a meaningful conversation, I’m not sure why you’re even discussing these non-existing games on the *clears throat* OFFICIAL Sims forum.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

@ClarionOfJoy

Wow where are you going with this, man? @SimmerGeorge is just expressing why he’s feeling cautious about an ambitious Kickstarter project like Paralives, which is totally understandable. I agree 100%. Just because you’re interested in something and want to support it, doesn’t mean you can’t be vigilant.

Also note that It’s being expressed on the Sims forum because YOU, @ClarionOfJoy are the one constantly bringing these other life-simulators up. It’s Paralives here and Paradox there. Or do you only want to talk to people who agree with everything you say and want everything exactly the way you want it?

If you’re not interested in a meaningful conversation, I’m not sure why you’re even discussing these non-existing games on the *clears throat* OFFICIAL Sims forum.

You obviously don't read carefully.

Someone else brought up Paralives first on this "OFFICIAL Sims forum" (no duh!). I didn't enter into that conversation until later.

If TS3 gets trashed here by EA to try to sell TS4, I'm not surprised a competing game would get trashed here either.

It's disgusting. JUST MAKE A GREAT GAME EA, and then you wouldn't have to pull such low-blow tactics!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy Well since I didn't trash it, am I in the clear?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

If you have something against Paralives, take it up there. Don't air it here if you say you "care" about Paralives. EA will run with anything that makes the competition look bad. Look what they tried to do with TS3, their own game. There are a whole bunch of TS4 players that believe their lies and repeat it without ever trying the game for themselves.

• Options

If you have something against Paralives, take it up there. Don't air it here if you say you "care" about Paralives. EA will run with anything that makes the competition look bad. Look what they tried to do with TS3, their own game. There are a whole bunch of TS4 players that believe their lies and repeat it without ever trying the game for themselves.

@ClarionOfJoy I just thought since y'all mentioned Paralives I could say my opinion as well.
    And I am not trashing the game or have anything against it. I just said I'm excited but also cautious like everyone should be when sending people from the internet money.
    Especially with the scandals surrounding scams lately.
    If you think being cautious is actually trashing the game then I think I didn't make myself clear enough.
    Anyway hooray for the Sims 5 hopefully it'll be good..
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

What has EA said/done about paralives? EA as a whole didn’t drag Sims 3, that was just some people at Maxis. Still not appropriate, but you can’t suggest that the publisher is out to destroy their own 5 year old, retired game when they haven’t really done anything like that.

I also don’t get the insistence that people need to experience Sims 3. Don’t get me wrong, it’s by far my favorite one of the 4, but pushing people from 4 to 3 isn’t going to change EA’s current agenda with The Sims. They will get their money either way. If you’re trying to start a movement that will actually get EA/Maxis attention you should advocate against buying anything at all, because they don’t care what products you buy it all goes to the same place.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    You obviously don't read carefully.

I can read between the lines.
    Someone else brought up Paralives first on this "OFFICIAL Sims forum" (no duh!). I didn't enter into that conversation until later.

I never stated that you brought up Paralives first. I said you’re the one constantly bringing these other life-simulators up. Your signature speaks volumes.

You obviously didn’t read carefully.
    If TS3 gets trashed here by EA to try to sell TS4, I'm not surprised a competing game would get trashed here either.

It's disgusting. JUST MAKE A GREAT GAME EA, and then you wouldn't have to pull such low-blow tactics!

I can’t see where all this so called trashing of a ‘competing game’ is happening...But then again, it’s entirely possible that I live in a different dimension.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited July 2020

@ClarionOfJoy

I give this as honest and hopefully gentle advice: Between this and the way you acted on my religion thread, you seem to be showing a pattern of ascribing motives to people who disagree with you that they haven’t expressed. Taking a simple statement of opinion or idea, and turning it into an agenda. We now have these two examples of you taking a pretty neutral thing said by someone and turning them into something (maliciously?) goal oriented.

“Current systems don’t simulate these aspects of religion” -> “I desperately want religion officially endorsed in the game and won’t rest until it happens!”

“There are examples of small independent projects like Paralives not following through” -> “I’m trying to sabotage the success of their game by being cautious about it in a competitor’s forum”.

Basically: you keep engaging in bad faith arguments by accusing people you disagree with of acting in bad faith when they are definitively not.

I don’t mean this as a personal attack. I genuinely think you may not realize what you’re doing or how it comes across to others. It’s okay when people disagree with you. That’s not always an attack.

A less defensive and more listening approach may do a better job of yielding your desired results.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    edited July 2020

I don't understand the fascination with werewolves. They were the most boring occult life state in TS3. What are you hoping for if they get added to TS5?

There aren't any fantasy sims that I'm aware of and rpgs with werewolves always make them feel isolated, like your character is the only real werewolf. I want a video game where I can create a character and have him join a werewolf pack and the sims is a great game when you want to play in a full world. As far as I know the Dragon Age series doesn't have werewolves or other shapeshifters (and if it does, it's taking too long to access them). Skyrim's werewolves feel like they do nothing and the vampires feel too locked into one small part of the game (with the other vampires doing nothing more than wandering around the castle). Also, I don't mod games. Don't know how to and don't like it. I want to play a game with supernaturals where it feels right. Many of us like the fantasy side of fiction and the content we have feels unbalanced, mostly being text-based or underwhelming with cartoon portrails of what could be epic characters or lack of expanding those characters into the world (at least in my opinion).