Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge (2.0)

Comments

• MeeshelbyMeeshelby Posts: 1,914 Member
    Thanks so much for reworking this challenge! I'm starting it again for the 3rd or 4th time and have gotten much farther so far this time than before. Which isn't saying much since I never got out of the Stone Age! Anyhow...my first born heir died right after aging up to adult and I'm so depressed lol. He came home from school early, was hungry, bored and needed a shower. I guess the fact he didn't get a birthday cake (which you can't do in the first era that I'm aware of) put him over the edge!!! He had a cardiac explosion!!! I'm so freaking upset that I shut the game down and will return later haha. How silly is that?
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Meeshelby wrote: »
    Thanks so much for reworking this challenge! I'm starting it again for the 3rd or 4th time and have gotten much farther so far this time than before. Which isn't saying much since I never got out of the Stone Age! Anyhow...my first born heir died right after aging up to adult and I'm so depressed lol. He came home from school early, was hungry, bored and needed a shower. I guess the fact he didn't get a birthday cake (which you can't do in the first era that I'm aware of) put him over the edge!!! He had a cardiac explosion!!! I'm so freaking upset that I shut the game down and will return later haha. How silly is that?

Oh no! I don't think I've ever seen an emotional death that wasn't cheated, lol. Hopefully you can go on without him!
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    edited November 2019
    Alright, I've got the shiny new Discord server all set up now! Feel free to pop in, hang out, post screenshots, and go CC shopping!
    edited November 2019
    Change Log: 11/21/19
    Hello all! I've finished the updates for University, RoM, and Moschino.
    General Updates
    • The goal to catch an anglerfish worth $1,500 Simoleons in the Stone Age has been changed to “Catch an anglerfish” for casual, and “Catch an anglerfish worth at least $150” for historian.
      This is just fixing the goal for the fishing update they made to the game, which made the fish worth less money. Huge thanks to everyone who pointed this problem out to me, and I’m sorry for not fixing it sooner!
    • Added notes on the UFO plant in the Stone Age and Middle Ages.
      These two generations had goals pertaining to completing the gardening collection, and the UFO plant (while part of the collection in-game) was only obtainable through the rocket science skill.
    • Added (and will add more) suggested packs to certain Eras.
      I hope to add suggested packs for all of the Eras, so that people not playing with CC know what packs synergize well with each Era.
    • Removed the specific allowance of same-sex marriages in the Modern Day, because they were technically always allowed after Early Civilization.
      This was just an old bit of the challenge that needed cleaned up, sorry about that!
    • Changed the Modern Day goal skills from Programming, Rocket Science, and Logic to Programming, Rocket Science, and Video Gaming.
      I don’t really know what happened there, but it was always intended to be video gaming and not logic.
    • Edited the suggested restrictions for cheating wives.
      Cheating wives are now still punished for their adultery for an extra generation, but to a lesser extent starting in the Great Sim Frontier.
      🐸🐸🐸🐸 suggestions are unchanged.
    • Changed the Great Sim Frontier goal skills from Charisma, Writing, and Guitar to Mixology, Writing, and Guitar.
    • Added suggestions on how other Sims handle occult Sims in the Middle Ages through the Industrial Age.
      BURN THE WITCH!!
      -- Sorry, what?
      In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, occult Sims are suggested to kill Sims not from the household who witness them as an occult, doing occult things, or having occult stuff.
      In the Great Sim Frontier and Industrial Age, occult Sims are suggested to make these witnesses despise them, but aren’t required to kill them anymore.
    Moschino Stuff Support
    The items added in this pack are mostly covered by other categories, so the only real support this needed was the Fashion Photographer career, which is allowed in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.

Realm of Magic Support
    I did warn you that I’m a sucker for occults, didn’t I?
    • Your Ancestors can be Spellcasters, and you may play as Spellcasters throughout the challenge.
    • You may not visit the Magic Realm until the Renaissance.
      This means you cannot make new Spellcasters through the rite of ascension until this time, or learn the master spells until this generation.
    • Use Herbio to spawn the Magic Realm-exclusive plants for potions (mandrake and valerian root).
    • Sims that are born as Spellcasters do not need the rite of ascension, and will automatically get access to their powers when they become teenagers. This means that until the Renaissance, the only way to be a Spellcaster is to be born as one!
    • You can practice magic and experiment with the cauldron to gain levels and learn new spells without the Sages.
    • The new aspirations (Spellcraft and Sorcery, and Purveyor of Potions) are allowed starting in the Renaissance and onward.
    • Cauldrons are allowed in Early Civilization and onward.

Discover University Support
    • Sims may not visit or live in Britechester until the Industrial Age. However…
    • Sims may attend University starting in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.
      This means that Sims in your household can attend University, but can’t be on campus. Since all classes are rabbit-holes, they’ll simply go to classes from their home lot.
      You can apply for scholarships and Universities through the mailbox, as well as the typewriter (computer) that is allowed in this era.
    • Sims may join the Law career (both branches) starting in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.
    • Sims may join the Education career (both branches) starting in the Renaissance and onward.
    • Sims may not join the Engineering career (either branch) until the Modern Day.
    • Sims may have the Academic aspiration starting in the Roaring 20’s and onward.
    • You may not have roommates until the Modern Day.
    • If you choose to send a household Sim to live in University Housing, you must consider any Sims not currently in the household you are actively playing to be moved out, and therefore cannot move back in or contribute to goals.
    • For example, if you send a Sim to live in the University dorms and play as that Sim, they are now the only Sim able to contribute to goals of the challenge. The rest of the family is now considered to be “moved out”. Alternatively, if you send a Sim to the dorms and don’t play as them, they are considered to be “moved out” and the rest of the family can complete goals and progress the challenge.
    • Essentially, it isn’t advised to move into University Housing, but you can do it if you want to.
    • Soccer Balls are allowed in the Stone Age and onward.
    • Debate Podiums are allowed in the Renaissance and onward.
    • Bicycles are allowed in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.
    • Ping-Pong tables and Juice Kegs are allowed in the Industrial Age and onward.
    • The Research Machine is allowed in the Roaring 20’s and onward.
    • The Robotics Table is allowed in the Modern Day.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Thank you for updating and for discord server.
  • MarmitePrinterMarmitePrinter Posts: 4 New Member
    Snowie, thanks for replying to my post on the other thread about the UFO plant, and for updating the challenge so that you don't have to get the UFO plant in the Stone Age or Middle Ages. I thought I'd post here to say that I did find a workaround (eventually)! I don't know when or if we're allowed to start visiting the festivals in San Myshuno - the rules don't expressly forbid it, but it *feels* against the rules, even if the lots are all empty. However, if you go the Spice Festival enough times, it will eventually spawn a UFO plant there! I basically travelled there, came back, travelled there, came back, and so on, until eventually I got a UFO! It felt good to accomplish the goal, if a little cheaty!
    Snowie, thanks for replying to my post on the other thread about the UFO plant, and for updating the challenge so that you don't have to get the UFO plant in the Stone Age or Middle Ages. I thought I'd post here to say that I did find a workaround (eventually)! I don't know when or if we're allowed to start visiting the festivals in San Myshuno - the rules don't expressly forbid it, but it *feels* against the rules, even if the lots are all empty. However, if you go the Spice Festival enough times, it will eventually spawn a UFO plant there! I basically travelled there, came back, travelled there, came back, and so on, until eventually I got a UFO! It felt good to accomplish the goal, if a little cheaty!

I haven't restricted San Myshuno or any other worlds because of their aesthetics--I feel like that should be up to the player. The only reason Strangerville and Britechester are restricted is because they have unavoidable gameplay changes if you live/visit there. So if anyone REALLY wanted to get a UFO before rockets, they would be free to do this. I've honestly never liked the festivals much so I didn't even know this was something you could do!
  • MarmitePrinterMarmitePrinter Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Snowie said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I haven't restricted San Myshuno or any other worlds because of their aesthetics--I feel like that should be up to the player. The only reason Strangerville and Britechester are restricted is because they have unavoidable gameplay changes if you live/visit there. So if anyone REALLY wanted to get a UFO before rockets, they would be free to do this. I've honestly never liked the festivals much so I didn't even know this was something you could do!

Fair enough! I had another question (again, it doesn't have to be Snowie who answers!) I took a break from TS4 for a few weeks and just came back to my History Challenge, so I'm only in the Great Sim Frontier. But the one goal I couldn't complete in the Renaissance was the 'Jam Session' one. How do you have a jam session in TS4? It seems silly that after 5 years of playing I don't know this, but even Google was no help on that one!
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @Snowie once I get down with my currently legacy I'm going to be doing a mashup of this challenge and Decades' challenge with a few twists on my own
    6adMCGP.gif
    Fair enough! I had another question (again, it doesn't have to be Snowie who answers!) I took a break from TS4 for a few weeks and just came back to my History Challenge, so I'm only in the Great Sim Frontier. But the one goal I couldn't complete in the Renaissance was the 'Jam Session' one. How do you have a jam session in TS4? It seems silly that after 5 years of playing I don't know this, but even Google was no help on that one!

The "Jam" interaction isn't available until all participating Sims are level 4 in their respective instrument. I *think* you can have different instruments, but if for some reason it doesn't show up then I'd try everyone on the same instrument. If after all that it's still not an option, having them play their instruments at the same time in the same room is effectively the same.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

Hi! I've been doing this challenge a while and enjoyed it. I usually get bored because of the no lot moving restriction most legacies have, so being able to move and the different time settings really helped make this fun!

I'm close to the end now and thought I'd share a couple pictures:
    Gen 7 Rosemary with my original female sim, Gen 1 Eve. Eve was a Sulani native. Rosemary is a vampire. I love how similar they look.
    kqH0s1u.png

Gen 8 heir, still a teen, Nickolas:
    fbP18ws.png
    There's a lot of occults in my games as I have MCCC set to pull from my library. Nicks dad was a short lived love affair that ended in his death by fire. I thought Nick was a spellcaster as his needs icon when a child was a spellbook. However, he is infact a hybrid vampire/spellcaster. Talk about a dramatic last generation!
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    I would like to try that challenge :) . Do you have tips for lots (from the gallery) or your own? Because I am really bad at building :D. I plan to play in Windenburg.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    This challenge looks very cool! Although I would like to point out that people who build Roman Empire era houses should be allowed to get a same-sex marriage, as this WAS practiced in the Roman Empire. Caesar himself had a husband!
  • AutisticGoatAutisticGoat Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a suggestion for the Middle Ages to the Modern Era, at least I believe that is correct. Do not allow homosexual relations. I did a bit of light research as I did not see it in the suggestions for any of the eras, so if you want to do this I recommend doing a bit more than I did.
  • PixelChampionPixelChampion Posts: 50 Member
    @Snowie Hey, do you happen to still be updating this challenge? I was wondering what the official rules for Eco-living were. I've got my own set atm that I've been going by, but I would love to hear your take!
    Apologies to all of you here on the forums for neglecting you! I've been busy with IRL stuff the last year and forgot to keep an eye on the forums. I'll answer your questions/suggestions now, hopefully they're still relevant!

@Busufu I think there's some builds on the gallery under #historychallenge that you could check out. Otherwise, just start out by making a little campsite with plenty of trees, flowers, etc. around--at least that's what I like to do! You can also play around with terrain tools to make some hills/dips on your lot.

@Rosysimmer I'll take a peek at what I already have in the rules and look at how I can tweak them to allow for this! I generally don't like to allow something in one era, only to restrict it later.

@AutisticGoat From my research, societal views on homosexual relationships has always varied a lot from time period to time period, and is different for every culture, too. As I said in the response above, I don't like to allow something that I'm going to restrict again later as it's too confusing for people. Additionally, since there is so much fluctuation in the historical views of homosexual relationships I lifted all restrictions on them when I reworked the challenge so that people can be free to implement their own personal rules for that.

@PixelChampion Hi! I am still updating this challenge, I've just been away from the forums for a while--sorry about that! The challenge is now all updated through Snowy Escape, with some new additions to the general rules as well. Even when I haven't updated anything officially in a while, you can always check the "Notes for Future Updates" section of the google doc and I'll usually have added some quick notes on items and such from new packs there as they release.
    Change Log: 12/1/20
    I've added support for all packs through Snowy Escape, and have also added two new Eras to the challenge!
    General Updates
    Cleaning Up
    I’ve cleaned up (hopefully) all of the missing aspirations, careers, and lot types.
    • Stone Age: Added Friend of the Animals aspiration.
    • Renaissance: Added Arts Center and Cafe as new lot types to build.
    • Industrial Revolution: Added the National Park to new lot types, and allowed Sims to join the Soccer Team on University campus.
    • Roaring 20s: Added Critic careers and the Barista part-time job, and kids/teens can join the scouts now.
    • Modern Day: Noted that Sims can now join the e-sports team on University Campus
    Changes
    Tweaked some of the goals in certain eras to make them more diverse and accurate to focuses of that time period.
    • Middle Ages:
      -Goal for net worth has been changed to lot value, with $200,000 as the casual goal and $300,000 as the historian goal.
      --I based these goals off of the average value of castles in the gallery. Please let me know if they need tweaked at all, and happy building!
    • Renaissance:
      -Historian goal for displaying emotional paintings now requires masterpiece quality instead of excellent.
      -Removed the goal for displaying masterpieces and replaced it with a new goal for hosting a dinner party with 8 non-family guests, and earning a gold medal for the party as a historian goal.
    • New Eras:
      -Two new optional eras have been added to the challenge. This should help lengthen the challenge to an even ten generations, but keeps things diverse by integrating some DLC content. Since they require players to have extra DLC expansions, they’re optional and can be skipped if you don’t want to play them.
      -The first era, the Atomic Era, covers several decades including the space race, cold war, and the 60s-70s as there is a lot of good CAS and build/buy content for those. In this era you’ll be exploring space, solving government conspiracies, focusing on the military and medical careers, and revolutionizing music. The required packs for this era are Strangerville and Get to Work, though you could play it without Get to Work and simply won’t be able to complete one of the historian goals.
      -The second additional era is a Futuristic Era. This era is placed after Modern Day and is centered around potential future developments--things like interacting with alien life, creating artificial intelligence, and finding the secret to immortality. The required packs for this era are Get to Work and Discover University. If you choose to skip this era, the challenge will simply end during Modern Day like it always has.
    • Modern day:
      -Changed the Rocket Science goal for this era to Mixology, to compensate for the new eras.
      -Renamed to Generation 9, as it is now the ninth generation in the challenge.

Eco Lifestyle Support
    • Wind turbines, solar panels, fabricators, and advanced dew collectors are allowed starting in Modern Day.
    • Insect farms are allowed starting in the Stone Age.
    • Basic dew collectors and dumpsters are allowed starting in the Great Sim Frontier.
    • The fuel-powered generator and recycler are allowed starting in the Industrial Revolution.
    • The freelance maker career, Civil Engineer careers, and the maker aspiration are allowed starting in Modern Day.

Nifty Knitting Support
    • Sims can start using yarn baskets and have access to the Lord/Lady of the Knits aspiration starting in the Middle Ages.
    • Listing items on Plopsy is allowed starting in the Great Sim Frontier.

Journey to Baatuu Support
    Travelling to Baatuu won’t be allowed until Future Tech. I don’t currently have this pack, so if there’s anything I’m missing that should be considered for regular gameplay (that isn’t locked behind traveling to Baatuu) please let me know!

Snowy Escape Support
    • The Onsen baths can be used starting in the Stone Age and onward.
    • Kotatsu (Hot Pot) tables can be used starting in Early Civilization and onward.
    • Onsen Bath House community lots may be built starting in the Middle Ages.
    • The Salaryperson careers and Extreme Sports Enthusiast aspiration are allowed starting in the Atomic Age.
    • The Komorebi Sightseer aspiration is allowed starting in Modern Day and onward.
  • EmersedCrownEmersedCrown Posts: 120 Member
    Hi @Snowie months ago now I completed the History Challenge and it gave me a mega history challenge bug, so I decided to make my own. I thought I should share it with you seeing as you and Cloud Seeker are the biggest inspiration for it. Thank you so much for everything you've done to keep the history challenge awesome!

Here's my challenge: greatbritishsimchallenge.tumblr.com
    Hi @Snowie months ago now I completed the History Challenge and it gave me a mega history challenge bug, so I decided to make my own. I thought I should share it with you seeing as you and Cloud Seeker are the biggest inspiration for it. Thank you so much for everything you've done to keep the history challenge awesome!

Here's my challenge: greatbritishsimchallenge.tumblr.com

That looks like a really cool challenge!
  • babylove3570babylove3570 Posts: 26 Member
    Good evening, I just started the challenge and my ancestors immediately hated each other and I can't seem to get them to build their relationship without cheating. There was no chance of woohoo . We are in week 2 and male ancestor died of embarrassment. Female ancestor danced on his dead body and plead to reaper failed. There was no chance of a new generation between my ancestors. Am I allowed to continue or reset challenge with new sims? Can I continue the challenge with my female ancestor and get her preggers without another sim or sims?
    Good evening, I just started the challenge and my ancestors immediately hated each other and I can't seem to get them to build their relationship without cheating. There was no chance of woohoo . We are in week 2 and male ancestor died of embarrassment. Female ancestor danced on his dead body and plead to reaper failed. There was no chance of a new generation between my ancestors. Am I allowed to continue or reset challenge with new sims? Can I continue the challenge with my female ancestor and get her preggers without another sim or sims?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, hope this is still relevant to you. There's no rules saying your female ancestor can't have kids and continue the family line with Sims other than your male ancestor. You can continue the challenge however you see fit, or restart if you want to do that!
    Change Log: 7/18/21
    I've added support for all packs through Cottage Living, and made some quality of life changes to the Stone Age while removing the Outdoor Retreat requirement!
    General Updates
    • Added clarification on restricted worlds (Britechester and Strangerville) in the “Getting Started” section.
    • Stone Age changes:
      -Moved the “nomads” part of this era to the suggestions section
      --In an effort to remove the Outdoor Retreat requirement of this challenge, the nomads portion is no longer required. It will still be suggested for those who can/want to do it, though.
      -Bathtubs allowed from the start.
      --RIP immersion, unfortunately, but raising toddlers is a major pain without some way to clean them.
      -Removed the food/cooking restrictions of this era.
      --HOWEVER, if you have Cottage Living, you will be required to have the Simple Living lot challenge on during this era.
    • The Renaissance goal of painting emotional paintings no longer includes the Mathematical Diagram (focused emotional painting).
    • Added the Strangerville Mystery aspiration to the Atomic Age.
    • Added optional Journey to Batuu goals to replace the Sixam/alien goals in the Future Tech era.
      -This is just so that if you have Journey to Batuu, you have the option to play with that to fulfill a goal in this era. I will NOT be requiring Journey to Batuu for this era, and if you have Get to Work as well, you can choose which set of goals you want to do.

Paranormal Stuff Support
    • Sims may join the Paranormal Investigator career starting in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.
    • You may live on a Haunted House lot type starting in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.
    • Seance tables may be purchased in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.

New Kit Support
    • Vacuums and the two aspirations from the Bust the Dust kit may be used in the Industrial Revolution and onward.
      -It is recommended that you turn off the dust system until this time, unless you have some CC for vacuums that fits earlier generations.

Cottage Living Support
    Note that at the time of updating this, the patch for Cottage Living and the DLC aren’t out yet. If necessary, I’ll release another, smaller, patch after the pack comes out.
    • Bird homes, rabbit homes, picnic baskets, and garden patches may be purchased and used freely starting in the Stone Age and onward.
    • Animal sheds, coops, and cross-stitch hoops may be purchased starting in Early Civilization and onward.
      -Technically, people had domesticated livestock during the time period that the Stone Age for this challenge is set in. However, this was much more about having a herd in a pasture than having structures built for the livestock. This, in addition to the animal sheds not fitting a prehistoric aesthetic, and cross-stitching not being allowed until the second generation, is why I decided to restrict the animal sheds and coops until Early Civilization.
    • Sims may have the Country Caretaker aspiration starting in the Great Sim Frontier and onward.
      -This aspiration fits better in the Great Sim Frontier because it is designed around the Henford on Bagley community as well, most notably winning at a Finchwick fair. Livestock fairs like this weren’t popularized until the 1700s.
    • Added optional goals regarding livestock in this pack to replace the cowplant goals in the Great Sim Frontier.
      -As with the optional Batuu goals, you can choose which goal you want to complete in this era.
  • ReekyteekReekyteek Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I am playing the challenge for the second time (the first time I was using the original rules and not keeping track of the points) Then I found this updated version and I just have to do it over again!. I am wondering if my prehistoric sims can use public bathrooms (not the ones in houses or buildings but the little stalls around the world) I just had my male ancestor die trying to swim for a bathroom in sulani when he was too tired, so he drowned. I am still continuing the challenge as my female heir is pregnant and just going to have babies with other sims (at least 5 different dads) thanks for your long term commitment to keeping this challenge updated and running smoothly.
  • ReekyteekReekyteek Posts: 2 New Member
    Also I love the google documents you included, they are very handy, but I am finding them a bit chalenging to read because of the font. Would you consider changing them to something like times new roman, or ariel in future updates?
    I've added support for the Werewolves pack, as well as cleaned up some general things in the challenge rules.

6/16/22 Patch Notes:
    General:
    • Updated all fonts to be Georgia, both in this document and on the scoresheets. Let me know if the colored text in each era is too difficult to read, and I’ll look into changing that as well. Thanks for your feedback on this!
    • Removed the male/female, young adult starting restrictions. You’re still restricted to two Sims, and cannot have them be married or engaged through CAS. This opens it up to have Sims of any age, gender, and relationship as your Ancestors. One of them will have to be a teen or older for the game to let you finish the household.
    • Changed all “🐸🐸🐸🐸” text to “illegitimate.” Even though it’s technically the correct word, it’s not considered a polite one in today’s society.
    • Moved meditation stools to the Stone Age.
    • Fixed a suggestion in the Great Sim Frontier regarding career restrictions that was listed twice.
    • Moved the Entertainer-Musician career to the Renaissance from the Middle ages, because it requires the piano skill.
      - I might look at switching some things around to get this career back into the Middle Ages, but for now this is were it is.
    • Added telescopes to the Great Sim Frontier. Observatories are still restricted until the Industrial Revolution.

Werewolves Support:
    • Sims may be werewolves in the Stone Age and for the duration of the challenge, and you may start with one of your ancestors as a werewolf in CAS.
    • The werewolf aspirations will be restricted until the Atomic Age, as they require you to go to Moonwood Mill.
    • I’m not going to restrict you from visiting or living in Moonwood Mill, but it is a run-down industrial town, so use your best judgment on when to visit it.
      - I’ll look into removing any existing “cannot live/visit X world until X era” rules in the future, and trust that you guys will pick worlds that don’t break your immersion on your own. Specific worlds might be put into suggestions for the era that they fit the best.
    • There weren’t any notable gameplay items added with this pack, so there’s no new items listed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top