Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    ...or add it. The lot requirements for lot types and restrictions should just be done away with in general. Why must all of my bars have a TV and all of my parks have a chess table. Most RL parks and bars I go to DON'T have these items and having them for some lots and not others would add some variety and creativity to builds.

They could build their dorms without stoves, but at least let people add them if they want to, the restriction is ridiculous.

100% agree with you on that.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
    I had a one Sim household that I sent to university and put her in one of the dorms, but I didn't realize that the game moves you out of your current house. I was hoping that my Sim would still own the house so that she'd have a home to go back to once she got her degree.

I only played one term while my Sim was in a dorm, just to get the dorm experience but then I made a new save and started again but kept her at home. I now understand why people have been asking for the option to own multiple lots. :D
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I had a one Sim household that I sent to university and put her in one of the dorms, but I didn't realize that the game moves you out of your current house. I was hoping that my Sim would still own the house so that she'd have a home to go back to once she got her degree.

I only played one term while my Sim was in a dorm, just to get the dorm experience but then I made a new save and started again but kept her at home. I now understand why people have been asking for the option to own multiple lots. :D

Perhaps the dorm situation should have been coded to work like the system they have for going on vacation. A sim shouldn't be separated ( moved out completely) from their family (where you have to rejoin them later on through manage households) Nor should a single sim lose their house if they go to the dorms.
  • beckmellorbeckmellor Posts: 1 New Member
    Don't know if I'm missing something, but I've just completed the 12 classes with my sim. It says I've graduated, but I haven't been to a ceremony. The 'earn a degree' award in my aspirations hasn't turned gold either. Anyone know what I can do? It looks like I'm just stuck in limbo!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    KayeStar wrote: »
    poplopflop wrote: »
    So because there were rabbitholes in sims 1,2,3... It's ok for sims 4 to have rabbitholes? I don't get that logic at all. The Sims 4 should be an improvement. Why should we have rabbitholes AND loading screens in 2019?
    The excuse "well it would have been boring to see them in class" ??? Why does it have to be boring? Art classes aren't boring(sculpting, ect) science class isn't boring (frog dissection, ect.) They could have made it fun and engaging if they tried, but no just rabbitholes... And some people are happy about it... In 2019...
    For starters, there are simmers who like rabbit holes...
    Feel like the accurate sentiment would be they like the architectural design of the rabbit holes. Not the rabbit hole itself (unless it's off-screen event, but even then it's determined how plausible and practical would been to open them up). Things like stores and cinemas should never be rabbit holes, which is why I think developers had initiave to slowly them up through various context (such as WA registers, premium content related to business entrepernueship, etc.) Stadium would have to be rabbit hole, due to impractical sheer amount of Sims one would realistically require (50 or more).

Considering EA owns a sports division, I would rather like an open stadium with a minigame to play a sport...or even just to see a game happening. That would be awesome and a huge addition to the Sims.

I actually don't mind the rabbitholes, especially for work related tasks, but I like to use buildings for other reasons and most of the rabbitholes were too big for my tiny towns. So I settle for the rugs/doors and use the building for other Skilling features.

If it was possible to implement literal fifa in the Sims 4, than I'm sure it would be a whole new game and not what it is as of today, lol.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • aenimusaenimus Posts: 2 New Member
    This should have been a $20 pack, not $40.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »

LMAO considering that it’s what I do for a living, I find it so brain-wracking with The Sims 4 marketing materials don’t ever seem to line up with what the devs know the game actually does.

Like does anybody on the marketing team play or look at the game first? Do they listen to, or talk to the devs? Why don’t marketing and engineering properly engage with one another?

Why do they release these hollow game descriptions and music video-style game trailers devoid of actual play content? It’s pretty lazy just to make things up that are absolutely nowhere near how the game works.

It’s not even like some video game trailers where they use some of the highly artistic, non-gameplay cut scenes. Sims trailers are literally made up.

Can someone from EA please explain why you don’t have anyone that knows how to advertise and market the actual product you are selling?

Because people working jobs such as "public relations" or "marketing" usually aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Not to offend anyone, there are, of course, exceptions (who prove the rule), and of course, I don't know anyone doing marketing for EA, so I am not directing this to any person in particular. Please don't get me wrong.

But: I worked at a small, but really successful PR agency as well as at the marketing department of a big German car company while I was at University (part time) and boy, these people, they made me want to stay away from these kind of job branches like for the rest of my entire life. NEVER. AGAIN. The jobs themselves can be really interesting and complex, but the people, oh boy, oh no, please, just no. It kind of traumatized me with all the bullying going on there too. I am currently getting a third degree (I got 2 the first time I went to Uni) because - nope, never. again. Just no! I thought the people I worked with were awful, all of them. And it was awful to the point that I don't want to find out if it were just these 2 companies because, no, just no. Just never again.

I never had these kind of problems in other job branches I tried out in internships or worked at (so it's not me). So now I am going to get a job in a field I feel more comfortable working in.

I don’t think the marketing side of the sims 4 is a problem, I think they do a pretty good job with the product they are given. Marketers don’t usually create the product, they deal with advertising it. And advertisements are always somewhat superficial. I mean, you are not usually going to look like the cover girl on a magazine like most girls advertising cosmetics do. The trailers usually look pretty good. It is the content that is lacking. I do think the packs where potential customers help create what is going to be included in the pack is ingenious, because you are getting direct input from the buyer.
  • aenimusaenimus Posts: 2 New Member
    My sims is living in a dorm on campus and since you cannot go into buy mode in the dorms, I can't decorate for Winterfest nor cook a Grand Meal if I wanted to.

My sims disappear constantly through their day and I am left looking at a view of campus where nothing is happening. This is an efficient way of skill building but not entertaining gameplay. Someone before me said they would build a dorm in their regular towns so they could control multiple students and I think that is probably the way to go. The campus living is just not worth it and this expansion definitely shouldn't have been one of the $40 ones.
  • AenalaAenala Posts: 23 Member
    > @aenimus said:
    > My sims is living in a dorm on campus and since you cannot go into buy mode in the dorms, I can't decorate for Winterfest nor cook a Grand Meal if I wanted to.

You can order a holiday meal at the cafeteria, it worked for my Sims.
    fullspiral wrote: »

Perhaps the dorm situation should have been coded to work like the system they have for going on vacation. A sim shouldn't be separated ( moved out completely) from their family (where you have to rejoin them later on through manage households) Nor should a single sim lose their house if they go to the dorms.

That's a good idea! I totally forgot about vacations.

Either way, I had hoped that moving into a dorm would be considered temporary accommodation. Maybe that's something for the devs to think about. :wink:
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    My sim constantly getting the uncomfortable and very uncomfortable feeling from eating microwaved meals..I know I can go out somewhere to get food..but I am too lazy...but I feel the team could have handled that better...I hate getting that constant emotion....like....the heck?
    fullspiral wrote: »

That's a good idea! I totally forgot about vacations.

Either way, I had hoped that moving into a dorm would be considered temporary accommodation. Maybe that's something for the devs to think about. :wink:

Right? I've worked hard on some of my sims homes to make it suit them. They go to university and lose their home? I wonder if maybe they apply for a roommate before leaving for college whether that helps them keep their home? Or it's likely just they have to managed through manage households to get it back. It doesn't make sense to me....
    Every "issue" I am seeing discussed on this board is the reason why I cannot, and won't, pay full price for this EP. With sims 4, there's nothing that enhances the game across the board. There's too many limitations and restrictions on the player. This EP is no different.
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    Expansions are just so expensive now I can't afford to keep up. Going to reinstall Sims 3
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    aenimus wrote: »
    This should have been a $20 pack, not $40.

That's been the theme with virtually all of The Sims 4's packs though.

Seriously, just wait a few weeks after a pack drops and you can get it half off. Some were actually able to preorder Discover University for just $23 on Target, too.
  • lauradean89lauradean89 Posts: 20 Member
    I’d be really interested to keep hearing about people’s experiences of rotational playing as they continue to experiment. Such a shame it’s been made so complicated though 🙄
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Sk8rblaze --that's usually the case, but I couldn't find a half-off sale for Island Living until EA itself held that sale in late October. Still, with Thanksgiving/Xmas/New Year's coming up, I'm hopeful that DU will go on sale fairly soon. Has worked that way in the past!

I'd rather get 'em at 75%-off, but I'm willing to go as high as 50%-off, and no higher. In comparison to previous versions, not one of the TS4 packs has been worth full-price to me...though initially I paid full-price. EA used up most of the goodwill Maxis earned from me. They are so obviously milking the franchise!

edit: formatting error
  • PoppyErstwhilePoppyErstwhile Posts: 29 Member
    So far, I've encountered too many little things that bug me to thoroughly enjoy Discover University. From what I've seen, the creators played it extremely safe again and offered a bare minimum with little to none new ideas. That's my main issue. I deeply apologize if I seem too negative, there are things that I do enjoy about this EP, but I need to rant a bit about the stuff that disappointed me, namely:

- The new town/universities seem a little...unimaginative? This is of course completely subjective, but I, personally, am not impressed with the new world. And correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Windenburg inspired by the UK as well? I hoped the ruins (near the place where the Secret society meets) would be a hidden location, which would be nice to see, but it's apparently not the case.
    The Britechester town is very small and there are not many ways in which you can incorporate your builds.

- I would appreciate if the Uni campus was more...lively? More events and parties at the campus perhaps? The organizations are more or less well done but maybe some more events that relate to the university as a whole, not just one aspect? (university fairs with cheap stuff for students, big inauguration and graduation parties with all the celebration effects, not just group painting but also musical showcases etc.)

- This pack just doesn't give me the proper uni feels. Like, the IL was maybe an empty EP, but Sulani was beautiful and very atmospheric. I love playing there. The DU is the opposite - more things to do, but no atmosphere for me.

- During the enrolling, I chose to live at home by mistake. When I wanted to change the housing to university dorm, I discovered it's not possible, even though I was technically a Britechester student. I had to apply and enroll again. (if there is an easier way to do this, I didn't figure it out)

- From what I've seen, the seasons don't seem to be well-incorporated into the expansion. I stayed at the campus during the Harvestfest. On one hand, the gnomes appeared as usual and broke havoc (as if the dorms weren't a mess already!), on the other hand, I couldn't even cook the grand dinner. (btw, how are the culinary students supposed to raise their cooking skills if there are no stoves in the dorms? What was the explanation for no stoves/cauldrons in the dorms again?). It's like they didn't even think of how would holidays affect the students.
    Not to mention it could have been an opportunity for a decorated campus, festive food at a cafeteria, special party for students who stay at uni during the holidays - simple things that are already in the game in some form.

- I was a member of a secret society. Even after graduating, I am being pestered by the Sprites. So far, I didn't figure out how to get rid of them. I already re-entered and left the Secret society again with cheats, it made no difference. This will hopefully be patched.

- A lot of recycled stuff and animations (e.g. Research & Debate activities).

- I know that living in the dorms is supposed to be a challenge (I guess), but why is everyone leaving food everywhere or eating spoiled food?

- I think the "lock door" feature in dorms is bugged. And why is my Sim doing her homework in the other dorm rooms and rarely in her own? These little things show that the creators didn't properly test the game!

In conclusion: a decent EP, not a catastrophe. Lacks more innovative approach and ideas, mostly just recycles what worked in previous incarnations. However, it adds some useful gameplay features (roomates, new skills, challenging time management etc.).
  • seven_seas_of_raiseven_seas_of_rai Posts: 13 New Member
    so, i dunno if this has been posted yet or not, but my biggest issue is that it seems impossible to feed my sim properly. he has a mini fridge and a microwave in his room, but he gets an uncomfortable moodlet from eating too many quick meals. and yes, his roommates bring in plates of healthier food, but hes a vegetarian (i am not, its just kinda fun to have that little challenge of "dont eat the meat), and his roommates dont always bring home veggie friendly food. any ways around this? without cheating?
  • BronstarrBronstarr Posts: 5 New Member
    Sorry if im posting in the wrong area. My issue is. I left the secret society and the sprites keep following my sim around. Can i stop this at all. He is going insane.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    so, i dunno if this has been posted yet or not, but my biggest issue is that it seems impossible to feed my sim properly. he has a mini fridge and a microwave in his room, but he gets an uncomfortable moodlet from eating too many quick meals. and yes, his roommates bring in plates of healthier food, but hes a vegetarian (i am not, its just kinda fun to have that little challenge of "dont eat the meat), and his roommates dont always bring home veggie friendly food. any ways around this? without cheating?

I hate this too, my sim is ALWAYS uncomfortable and very uncomfortable from the food, then again I am too lazy to go to the commend.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    This isn't an attack on anyone's game playing style. Everyone is entitled to play TS4 how they want to, but I think people have become so used to what we've had in previous packs and what's normal that they're not thinking outside of the box anymore. One of the biggest complaints that people seem to have about TS4 is that it doesn't stand out. It doesn't really feel like it's own game. There are so many things that EA game could have done to make this game unique, and that includes (at least to me) making a lot of things standard that EA didn't make standard. If they had done that they could have focused on new ideas. Of course it's hard when you start off with a limited gaming engine to begin with, but it's almost 2020 and given what modders can do and have done for this game I'm not buying a lot of the excuses that EA throws our way. EA shot themselves in the foot trying to make TS4 an online game and then having to change it at the last minute even if they won't admit it. I'm still convinced that if they hadn't of done that people would not have as many complaints about this game as they do. Of course there would still be people who didn't like the game and would complain, but I don't think it would be anywhere as bad as it is now.

I agree with you on the previous features to an certain extent, I think most wanted some features to carry over to Sims 4 such as editing tools for what we call neighborhoods that can alter the hood lots size or even make one's own hood. The ability to make apts from scratch and also have apts in all neighborhoods. I do not see what EA/Maxis did with Sims 4 as an normal evolution and was done for various reasons such as performance issues and and for profit as well looking at the neighborhoods that now come with paid packs. Exclusion of mentioned features does not make Sims 4 an superior product for me to play Sims 4 in an way makes my systems feel like it is an low end system as there is no scaling system and will play as good as the lowest end system Sims 4 can play, the only difference is graphics and I value gameplay very much as graphics is only one part of the puzzle. Simseach version had something unique except for Sims 4 as again it never evolved normally as other games do for they mix new with old.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    mjallet wrote: »
    I haven't bought Discovering University, This is the very first EP Im kinda protesting because it doesn't seem to have much going on and they left out alot of features previous versions had. Im just kinda getting over TS4 :(
    I have a question though.. is it really true I can't have more then 1 sim from the same save go to college?!
    So if i have multiple YA's in the 1 save I play, I can't bring them all to uni unless they all live in the same household? I hope this is not the case.

I believe that's correct. The sim you send to college becomes their own independent household so you can no longer play the other sims. I'm also really upset about this feature.

Woah, hopefully I am wrong and if I am please tell me. You cannot switch to the other sims that the one in college came from?
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Nobody was disputing your right to purchase a pack. Just the oxymoron wording in your comment. If you take it as rude, that's on you nor can or will I blame you on that (catching somebody's tone over a screen is impossible, so you're left assuming if there's bad/genuine connotation in a sentence)

I'm sorry , I just found it odd my comment was singled out like that...forgive me for being defensive, but the same thing happened when ROM came out and I told everyone I got it with survey money, they proceeded to have a problem with it.......
    Sorry.

Honestly though, if I disliked a franchise that much, I would probably use my survey money for something I do like. Maybe that's the part people find a bit odd, but at the end of the day, you do you ;)

Believe it or not I still have hope for this franchise. The Sims have been very precious to me...although I am NOT a fan of this forth installment, I still try and find a glimmer of what I used to love about it left in this pack...I know it may be weird but I've loved this series all my life...so...

@KaeChan2089 Honestly I would have done the same thing you did. Use the money to get something that I wanted but didn't want to spend my hard earned money on. Makes perfect sense to me. :)

Feel the same way and if it did cost me I would wait for an good sale so the impact would not be bad and you pay for something that you feel is worth it.