Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Distinguished Degrees and Careers

Has anybody found a list of the qualifications for distinguished degrees and the careers they affect? I’ve watched a few Game Changer videos, but they’ve all started from scratch with a fresh Sim so don’t have any of the requirements for a Distinguished Degree.

I want to get my little simmies skilled up for their university debut!

Comments

• ashley9483ashley9483 Posts: 116 Member
    I'm gonna make an educated guess as I was looking for the same answer and say having the skill for the degree at level 3-5 will most likely get you the distinguished one (however I have not found this confirmed yet simply a guess).
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Thanks @ashley9483! I was kind of thinking the same. Wondering which skills I need to level up for access to each kind of degree. I guess it’s a guessing game for now!
  • Spikefan74Spikefan74 Posts: 219 Member
    I wrote this down from a lets play, which only showed University of Britechester (Green one)

Degrees give mid-level start at careers while Distinguished Degrees gives a high-level start. Both have signing bonuses, increased daily pay, job performance, and more vacation days.

Degrees:
    Biology leads to = bodybuilder
    Computer Science = Computer Engineer, Freelance Programmer, Oracle, and Start-up Entrepreneur
    Economics = Administrator and Investor
    Physics = Mechanical Engineer and Space Ranger
    Psychology = Diamond Agent and Professor
    Villany = Boss, Interstellar Smuggler, and Villain

Distinguished Degrees:
    History = Judge
    Language + Literature = Author, Freelance Writer, and Private Attorney.

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    So... no degrees for dlc careers, such as doc is what I read?
  • Spikefan74Spikefan74 Posts: 219 Member
    I'm not sure, not all of them showed up for her probably due to her skills.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Or they didn't have all packs installed. Boosted careers according to another gameplay video:
    Biology - Bodybuilder, Botanist, Doctor, Marine Biologist
    Computer Science - Computer Engineer, Freelance Programmer, Oracle, Start-up Entrepreneur
    Economics - Administrator, Enviromental Manager, Investor
    Physics - Mechanical Engineer, Scientist, Space Ranger
    Villainy - Boss, Interstellar Smuggler, Villain

I hope you still can apply for distinguished degrees if you start as an adult
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
    Good! I suppose if there's one for doc, there will be distinguished degrees for others aswell.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    A Distinguished Degree is simply a degree from a program that is considered prestigious from that school. All degrees are available with "Distinguished" status, but Britechester has seven of them and the remaining six are at Foxbury.

Britechester degrees -- Italics indicates distinguished status
    Art History
    Culinary Arts
    Language and Literature
    Fine Art
    History
    Drama
    Communications

Biology
    Computer Science
    Economics
    Physics
    Psychology
    Villainy

Foxbury Institute -- Italics indicates distinguished status
    Art History
    Culinary Arts
    Language and Literature
    Fine Art
    History
    Drama
    Communications
    Biology
    Computer Science
    Economics
    Physics
    Psychology
    Villainy

You can receive a degree in History from Foxbury, but it won't be quite as prestigious as one from Britechester.
    You can get a degree in Economics from Britechester, but it won't be quite as prestigious as one from Foxbury.
    edited November 2019
    Oooh good insight @Spikefan74 and @kusurusu! Good work, Sims fam! 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Wonder how DU impacts Get Famous.
    Is there any value to send a teen to college if they are on the path to becoming famous and being an actor?
    Like how would a degree in Drama really impact a Get Famous career?
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited November 2019
    troshalom wrote: »
    Wonder how DU impacts Get Famous.
    Is there any value to send a teen to college if they are on the path to becoming famous and being an actor?
    Like how would a degree in Drama really impact a Get Famous career?

From the sounds of it, at the highest level, your actor sim would start at level 5 (not 1), get an initial signing bonus, earn more money (which is great because acting is currently underpaid in the game), earn PTO faster and have better job performance. Since degrees act like reward traits, a degree in acting may also improve skill building rates or allow sims to gain more fame and reputation as well.
  • renobaby08renobaby08 Posts: 5 New Member
    Has anyone seen videos where they talk about what skills are needed for different degrees?
    edited November 2019
    If I was a betting man- and I am, it's a serious problem!- I would say the skills required for the career(s) the degree will give you a boost to. Like charisma/logic for business would make sense.
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
    @Dijktafone good point. I want to get my Sim into the Lawyer career so by the looks of it, Language and Literature might be the best bet for a Uni degree. Guessing I should sharpen his writing and charisma skills to be eligible for a Distinguished Degree.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    @Dijktafone good point. I want to get my Sim into the Lawyer career so by the looks of it, Language and Literature might be the best bet for a Uni degree. Guessing I should sharpen his writing and charisma skills to be eligible for a Distinguished Degree.

The new Research/Debate skill will also be handy too, but you can only start learning that one after you already got the pack.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    I must admit I'd like to try this career myself, although there's no prosecutor branch :(
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    I must admit I'd like to try this career myself, although there's no prosecutor branch :(

A quick glance and I misread that as executioner :oa045.gif

I like the idea of the Distinguished Degrees. It gives something more to strive for before they enrol in University <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • LadySimbagirlLadySimbagirl Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't know if I can ask here, but my sim sent an application to university with level 5 Painting skill (to have Art History or Fine Art) but she failed it. I tried with other sims and they have all failed to have a distinguished degree. I know I can still enroll but I want them to have their appropriate degrees. What level do I need to get accepted, and how do I apply again?
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    This thread is very helpful, bookmarking it for future reference, thanks so much! It's so good that different skills attribute to different degrees, now our Sims will have even more different dreams and personalities.
    @gothprincess4ever agreed! I’ve wanted more things in the game that make skills *really matter* other than just job promotions. Glad to see these additions in Uni!
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Is there a recommended degree for the Pro Athlete career branch? I read that Biology is recommended for the Bodybuilder branch but I couldn't find anything for the other one.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Is there a recommended degree for the Pro Athlete career branch? I read that Biology is recommended for the Bodybuilder branch but I couldn't find anything for the other one.

No degree, but being a part of a soccer team will help with this career.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17314075/#Comment_17314075
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    @gothprincess4ever agreed! I’ve wanted more things in the game that make skills *really matter* other than just job promotions. Glad to see these additions in Uni!

Exactly! I was very surprised and satisfied with this addition!