Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random Townies NPCs - Do You Change Their Names?

Just something I thought of. I was going through the Other Households and I was looking at some of the random Townies names and I was thinking should I change them or just add a little more flavor spice to my neighborhood? I'm a bit of a control freak tho so I thought I would ask the community what they do?

Random Townies NPCs - Do You Change Their Names? 123 votes

Yes. Both first and last names! Seriously.
27%
Frn0731alan650111UnDutchablealanmichael1Amj1995MissyHissyKhrisstyneDillynJamesFreechheitLemon405ZarrielSo_MoneyEnkiSchmidtcalipossLumigensMonaveilHopeyStarrHayleeSimspoltergeistbirdonawire 34 votes
Yes. First name only though.
0%
Yes. Last name only though.
4%
ReflectedLightfiercephoenix91ryttu3kMcFizzleShizzleThe_GhostCaprianaB 6 votes
No. They can keep their names.
47%
DerellaIcewolfLaBlue0314PlayerSinger2010Writin_RegCorkysPetalsjoelygirlsims2MeteoraStormilovejewel17Paigeisin5SavorySageSjofnKalaniCoolgothprincess4everLustianiciaAquariusMomtaydevduhboy2u2stephanie132392iliekponiez 59 votes
Other ( please explain)
19%
StrangerthanDijktafonePlumbobCrossingChampandGirliehalloweenchildDanmanNefariusSweetieWright_84DevilNDisguiseChuChuExpressWinifred_WillowWaytoomanyUIDscatmando830Karababy52FaberriesMDianaSimsPamtastic72NorthDakotaGamerWillKDavidBobisbaeJasonschick80 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't change their names but sometimes I've been known to go in and change their outfit :wink:
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I don't change their names but sometimes I've been known to go in and change their outfit :wink:

Same. Sometimes I'll keep their names and edit their outfits especially if I feel I'll save them for later. Lol
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    if i am editing randomized townies i will usually change their name too.
    but i don't really edit townies much anymore. the game just keeps generating new ones, there is no use.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other ( please explain)
    99.9% of them are obliterated, so I don't bother changing. Those who are kept also keep their names.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    the townies keep seem to generating with city living genetics and name prioritized first and its very irritating cause this has been a bug that was claimed to be fixed two times but keeps on happening. i love having asian sims but my lord, they generate with the same names, the same weird pale or very dark skin tones with blonde hair and just the weirdest pear shape body type.

so yeah i tend to change everything about them or delete them in general.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I generally evict and delete them all from the worlds so I can create my own families to place in... lol So it doesn't really matter to me.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I only change the ones that don't make sense to me. Like the random that generated with the. Name Myk. I changed it to Mike
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    When I have them marry one of my sims, I look up their surnames to see what culture they're from and then name their kids accordingly.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    When it comes to re-naming pre-mades sims? i leave them alone.
    When it comes to marriage? MC assigns those names at the start of each new day in game. On occasion i set the marriage name of the female sim which would of been done by MC anyway.

When there is nothing going on outside of marriage though i don't change any names, i consider it a bit disrespectful to co-opt others work and try to make them mine by changing those names. Besides that the names they have is unique to each sim and to change that is like taking away bacon and eggs from a fry up in the mornings and replacing those with liver pate and mushed carrots, it doesn't fit together or look right.

besides pre-mades and your own sims, the game generates random townies, but i don't bother with those either.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes, I like to rename the townies in the same “style” that I name my own created sims. It’s a consistency thing.
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    No, i just delete them :#
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    I used to edit them, though it was mainly outfits and hairstyles only. It became a real chore doing that so every now and then I just go into household management and delete them all.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    Sometimes, but only if I have many duplicate names. Especially with the City Living randomly generated names. Like, I know that some names can be very common, but how many badly dressed Sakamoto's need to be in the game? Lol. XD
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    the townies keep seem to generating with city living genetics and name prioritized first and its very irritating cause this has been a bug that was claimed to be fixed two times but keeps on happening. i love having asian sims but my lord, they generate with the same names, the same weird pale or very dark skin tones with blonde hair and just the weirdest pear shape body type.

so yeah i tend to change everything about them or delete them in general.

OMG I thought this was just in my game, lol. XD Nice to know it's a weird and persistent bug.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    AgrestAgrest Posts: 28 Member
    Sometimes I like to edit the really strange looking townies and if their names are too mismatched I usually randomize them too, lol.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    Depends. Occasionally I change a name if it seems remarkably stupid, but I usually end up giving the a makeover then as well,
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other ( please explain)
    Sometimes I change them, as others said for consistency or if a name really doesn't match.

For marriages: Female sims sometimes change their names when they marry and sometimes don't. I sometimes give sims two last names, one from their mother and from their father or I'll add the married name at the end while keeping the original last name. For example: Anna Childhood Name Married Name. Sometimes that doesn't fit and I'll just add the new last name but only due to the number of characters.

As for random townies: Occasionally when editing random townies, I'll play with the name randomizer. I don't do it often and there isn't a pattern for it. It's really just when I am in the mood to edit townies kind of like when people are in the mood to build rather than play.

Eh, it's my game and if I want to tweak something then I will. My main save is a modern save with a lot of diversity.

If I add a historic save then I'll basically take out anything that isn't consistent with the theme. Gah, that will be a lot of work though.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited November 2019
    It took like 30 mins to CAS out the ugly from the particularly hideous Sims the game gave me as dorm roommates. While I was there I also dicerolled them better names.
  • Options
    Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    I usually leave them as is. But sometimes it get's annoying to see EVERY. SINGLE. SIM. with an Asian name, dark skin, orange or yellow hair and a really... questionable outfit. so I sometimes have to change. I'm fine with sims like that occasionally but since most townies are like that I have to change it lmao
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I usually change their names when it's something foreign sounding that I can't pronounce. I also give some townies clothing and makeup makeovers as well. Some of them are actually cute looking sims hiding underneath all the hideousness of the random generated clothing.
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    It depends on how awesome name sounds, or if it rolls off the tongue. And yep, I agree with @Sharonia. I've created several overrides using Sims4Studio to (mostly) prevent the various fashion faux pas that occur in my game.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I change their outfits a lot but I never see a need to change their names.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Other ( please explain)
    I tend to keep everything the same when it comes to my randomly generated townies. From appearances to names; I typically only change their clothing.

I try to keep their names above everything the same, but I have quite a few Sims who generate with the same first and last names, so in those cases I'll first try to merge some of them together to create families, then with the "extras" I'll either change their names or delete their households altogether.
  • Options
    McFizzleShizzleMcFizzleShizzle Posts: 1,632 Member
    Yes. Last name only though.
    I have the Harry Potter mod pack that put a lot of Potterverse surnames into the world - sometimes I change the surname so not everybody is the same
    tumblr_msx1lynGG41rd67d1o1_500.gif
    Origin ID: McFizzleShizzle
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.