Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make more uses of coffee tables!

DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
edited October 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I somehow noticed that coffee tables have been acting as pure decorations throughout the series. They are almost useless except the function to put some cups or small items on it. Sims barely (or not at all) interact with coffee tables. However in reality people use their coffee tables ALL THE TIME (sorry for shouting but I really want to emphasize it). I wonder why sims couldn't make more uses on this apparently-not-cheap piece of furniture.

1. People sit on the floor and eat on coffee table all the time, while watching TV shows. Sims should be able to do that too.

2. Children should be able to do homework on the coffee table instead of holding the book while writing on it. I mean who would've thought this is a good idea when there is a coffee table right in front of you (or somewhere in the house)!

3. Even everyday things like watching TV, drinking coffee and reading books should be able to be done by sitting in front of coffee tables.

4. Computers should be able to be placed on coffee tables and sims could've just use them by sitting on the ground.

5. Cats and dogs should be able to sleep on coffee tables (and almost every other surfaces).

6. I'm not sure about this but sims could've been playing video games by sitting in front of coffee tables as well.

7. There could be board games (like monopoly) and card games to be played by using coffee tables, and sims would be able to sit around to play.

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    I wish slob and lazy sims could lounge on sofas by putting their feet up on coffee tables.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    RaichisimsRaichisims Posts: 61 Member
    Full support!

Its stuff like that which make a simulation game feel real and natural.

I would also like cats to sit on a sim's lap when the sim is sitting, but they don't do that :(
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    7. There could be board games (like monopoly) and card games to be played by using coffee tables, and sims would be able to sit around to play.
    This is my number 1 desired use for coffee tables!

Board games should be able to be stored in bookcases and in personal inventories.
    Certain traits should lead to 'flip the board in a rage quit' action
    Coffee tables should snap to couches and armchairs, allowing sims to sit on them to play, or sit on the floor to play.

Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I wish slob and lazy sims could lounge on sofas by putting their feet up on coffee tables.
    Yet another reason why coffee tables should snap to couches and arm chairs.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »

Board games should be able to be stored in bookcases and in personal inventories.
    Coffee tables should snap to couches and armchairs, allowing sims to sit on them to play, or sit on the floor to play.

I thought they already did :o
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    That, indeed, would be nice.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    all of this sounds extremely uncomfortable to me but maybe thats why i don't own coffee table

would be nice to store items in side tables and coffee tables though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

I thought they already did :o

They did in ts3 (I think), but I've never had it happen in ts4
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    The main thing I've always used coffee tables for in these games is as a place to put a game console. I honestly wish we had other things to put on them, like doilies or coffee table books (big books that your sim can read, but when they're put away they go on the coffee table, not the shelf) or festive table cloths for holidays (every Christmas, when my mom decorates, she ALWAYS has some kind of festive covering for the coffee table...ALWAYS...). Though, I never got why they call them "coffee tables"...they're so low to the ground that putting any food or drink on them to enjoy while sitting on the couch just results in a lot of awkward stretching and bending...

On the subject of living room tables, though, when are we going to get T.V. trays? Our sims can sit in front of the T.V. and eat while they watch something, but they just sit there with their plate or bowl in their hands like they're eating fast food at the park. Let's give them some tray tables so they can eat like civilized anti-social beings!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The main thing I've always used coffee tables for in these games is as a place to put a game console. I honestly wish we had other things to put on them, like doilies or coffee table books (big books that your sim can read, but when they're put away they go on the coffee table, not the shelf) or festive table cloths for holidays (every Christmas, when my mom decorates, she ALWAYS has some kind of festive covering for the coffee table...ALWAYS...). Though, I never got why they call them "coffee tables"...they're so low to the ground that putting any food or drink on them to enjoy while sitting on the couch just results in a lot of awkward stretching and bending...

On the subject of living room tables, though, when are we going to get T.V. trays? Our sims can sit in front of the T.V. and eat while they watch something, but they just sit there with their plate or bowl in their hands like they're eating fast food at the park. Let's give them some tray tables so they can eat like civilized anti-social beings!

They are suppose to be used to put coffee and other beverages on top and drink while watching TV. The point is to not have to get up from the couch to get a drink or a book. The best placement for them in TS is right in front of the couch. Sometimes it seems like there's no space for sims to pass through and sit, but there is. In TS4 though sims will always get up to pick something up that is in the coffee table and they rarely put it down where it was, I wish they didn't though. But I think that factors in the fact that the AI was not build very well, heck my sim uses the far away bathroom sink to wash the dishes instead of the kitchen one, even when he is in the kitchen.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member

They are suppose to be used to put coffee and other beverages on top and drink while watching TV. The right placement for them in TS is right in front of the couch. Sometimes it seems like there's no space for sims to pass through and sit, but there is. The point is to not have to get up from the couch to get a drink or a book.

I'm talking about my real life experience. Even with the thing pulled all the way up to my shins, I'm still stretching and bending forward to an awkward degree just to get to my food. They're just too short!! Now, they're the perfect height for a game console or for putting small decoration items on so they look nice but don't block the T.V., but for eating and drinking, they're really poorly proportioned.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It's just a coffee table. How many times has anyone had their sims play Don't Wake The Llama? I can probably count the number of times on one hand since it was added. How about you? I don't see these actions being done often enough to warrant the time and expense of developing coffee tables. More games for the game tables might be nice.

I would like a small table and chairs with a tea set attached for kids to play "tea party". Adults should be able to join or the big stuffed animals for a pretend tea party.

I'd also love it if they brought back the Alice In Wonderland kids bedroom furniture. And maybe a Cheshire Cat big stuffed animal toy that gets the creepy eyes after playing/talking to it.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    It's just a coffee table. How many times has anyone had their sims play Don't Wake The Llama? I can probably count the number of times on one hand since it was added. How about you? I don't see these actions being done often enough to warrant the time and expense of developing coffee tables. More games for the game tables might be nice.

I would like a small table and chairs with a tea set attached for kids to play "tea party". Adults should be able to join or the big stuffed animals for a pretend tea party.

I'd also love it if they brought back the Alice In Wonderland kids bedroom furniture. And maybe a Cheshire Cat big stuffed animal toy that gets the creepy eyes after playing/talking to it.

Don't wake the llama is played on a game table not on a coffee table.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

What does it matter where it's played? If you're not playing it on a table, you won't play other games on the coffee table. People don't seem to understand that they won't add things that aren't high in replay value. That's probably why all most everything is geared towards YAs, because they get the most play according to stats.
  • Options

What does it matter where it's played? If you're not playing it on a table, you won't play other games on the coffee table. People don't seem to understand that they won't add things that aren't high in replay value. That's probably why all most everything is geared towards YAs, because they get the most play according to stats.

I think you got that around lol Not to mention people play YA more because they only add YA gameplay to the game. Children and toddlers didn't even get any new clothes in the last two packs they released.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited October 2019

which honestly is the dumbest thing ever because i dont understand why they made it a whole table when they could have made it a object that goes on table instead so i could actually play without having to use specific table for 2 games -_- like even just normal dining tables would be fine i'm just tired of these space taking objects
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Simmingal wrote: »

which honestly is the dumbest thing ever because i dont understand why they made it a whole table when they could have made it a object that goes on table instead so i could actually play without having to use specific table for 2 games -_- like even just normal dining tables would be fine i'm just tired of these space taking objects

Yeah I can agree with you on that. It's also not very realistic to have a separate table just for games. One of the reason I almost never play with the cards etc is because I have to get a separate object. I also wish chess would be possible on a normal table. I think having chess tables for community lots makes sense but not if you are in your home lot. Most people have a chess set that doesn't come with a whole table. Same for the pumpkin carving station.... Sims should be able to carve pumpkins on a counter, same as irl.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited October 2019
    As somewhat of a slob myself I would like a new footstool which when put in front of a chair or sofa would automatically make the Sims put their feet up and enable their pets to sit on! Coffee tables are a bit uncomfortable to put your feet on in my experience and shouldn't be used with shoes or sneakers on anyway. Ugh!

Any chance of some recliners for the elders?
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    As somewhat of a slob myself I would like a new footstool which when put in front of a chair or sofa would automatically make the Sims put their feet up and enable their pets to sit on! Coffee tables are a bit uncomfortable to put your feet on in my experience and shouldn't be used with shoes or sneakers on anyway. Ugh!

Can we even recline in bed now?
  • Options
    DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

I agree with this, it's some unnecessary effort to make a game-specific table, just as if The Sims make a console specifically used to play The Sims.
  • Options

First things first. :Do:)
  • Options

I'd rather recline in bed to watch TV or read a book than do anything on a coffee table.
  • Options

I'd rather recline in bed to watch TV or read a book than do anything on a coffee table.

That's for another thread about what we could also do in bed! It would be nice to do that too though. Sims could do that but I find watching TV at night gives me insomnia, Kindle ok.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    This thread is going places! It shows exactly what type of little things this game is missing and the ideas here are super!
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Yes, it’s so frustrating how everything needs a unique object. Everything here is so true! Card and board games should be played on coffee tables, Sims should be able to study or write at a laptop while watching TV, and there should be a little tabletop easel for painting at a coffee table. So many objects are so giant and unnecessary - more need to be multi-purpose like this!