Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do when it doesn't feel right?

Β«1
For me to want to (and enjoy) playing a household everything has to feel 'right' ie, right sims (looks, personality etc) in the right house (layout, decor etc) in the right location (lot, neighbourhood, local climate etc).

For most of my households all this has fallen into place, but for two households it hasn't.

When you're playing a household and it doesn't feel 'right' and you find yourself getting bored or frustrated, what do you do to correct that?

Just looking to see what other people's experiences are so maybe I can work out where I'm going wrong.
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    I delete the save as I know I'm not going to go back to it.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I just keep tweaking every aspect until I'm satisfied. This can take up to a few days or even weeks. That's why I try to stick with my old saves for as long as possible, because making a new one is a pain.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Usually I take the families in it, move them into a save that I do like as background townies and let MCCC do what it wants with them lol. I find it fun to see what ends up happening to them, even if I know I won't be playing them myself like originally intended.
  • LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    I'm currently playing a household of spellcasters. I originally had 2 couples (sisters and their husbands) living together, but needed to separate them so they could each have families. I moved the one couple several times because the house just didn't feel right for them, I ended up moving them to a lot in Sulani, where they have raised 2 daughters and recently gave birth to a set of twin girls.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited October 2019
    When I'm not feeling it, I will create a new game save, and put the other aside, or I will create a new household in the same gave save and let the other household become just part of the background. If there is a save I haven't played in at least a month, that save will get deleted.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I basically enjoy a variety of families, and I would immediately wonder if this family could be used for some sort of challenge or game features that I normally don't use. Like I'm not into occults, so maybe this family has a sim with dreams/goals that could challenge my normal play a bit?

Anyway, I'd give them some clear goals to work towards. I might have them interact with another household - like teens dating, or adults rivaling say in the same career. If that won't work, I'd replace them with another household.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I've got half a dozen active saves including the reimagined effort. Right now i'm taking a few days from that and getting back to basics in a way, It was either go back to Tiffany Darrow and her toddler brother to look after or work on Bethany Angelis and get some real good quality dragonfruits, when that happens i can save that house to the gallery and hope those are still around and get other families to take one or two fruits and plant their own.

i'm just playing aroudn with different things on a regular basis, see what else i can do. but uusally if there is something in it, i will keep going, if there is nothing there for a few weeks the save gets deleted and move to another project.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Everything you said sounds like me! Would you believe I've been tweaking my household for a year before I got the perfect sims! Lol seriously. I started this family maybe over a year ago and the sims themselves just wasn't right but I contined playing with them and tweaking occasionally until about a month ago I finally got everyone PERFECT! And I'm so satisfied with them now they are here to stay for atleast another year or two if not forever.

Now the house is another story. Its NEVER right. Well, actually I do get it perfect but the problem for me is there are so many nice places to live and houses to live in I'm never satisfied because I can only choose one. But in general I never live in a place without tweaking to perfection and if I try to it keeps bugging me. But it takes days usually. I don't have a solution. I either stop playing all together when I get frustrated and start again later, or play with them in some other way until I feel like getting back to the tweak. I may even play another household because I have 3 active families I sometimes rotate between to play out different scenes.
    I have accepted it as part of the gameplay because I can't avoid it lol.

However,I never delete or create a new save.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I play enough households that when one is missing that spark, I stop playing them for a bit. They're still around though, and sometimes a new pack will make me want to go back to them.
    I never stop tweaking houses/outfits though. Some of my sims move a lot until it finally clicks, but for some reason the idea of them in my head prevented me from really seeing what would fit.
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    this is happening with my current family. i don't know how to fix it, but i'm planning on just rushing through this generation and moving on with the next one, which will hopefully be better. it really varies by generation for me, because the previous two were great, but this one's had a lot of drama
    if it doesn't get better as the legacy continues, i might start a new family in the same save or start a new save all together
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited October 2019
    I understand just where you're at. I experienced this very recently, myself. I was starting my Cantrell game save all over again. I selected parents and from them used the DNA to created four of the five children. I dropped my singer Sim in as the second son. So, for the first time, they weren't cloned genetically from him. I was grossly unhappy with how his only sister turned out. It just wasn't right. And the rest of his family was so foreign to me. So, I thought about it for a bit and then decided to take the family into CAS (fulleditmode) and since there was room, I exchanged that family for the version made from Erik himself. Then things felt 'right'. The only thing I goofed on was a trait I had given his mother. She's no longer Erratic (which plays far better than the old Insane trait, I have to say) and since this character is one who doesn't handle stress very well, but rather retreats into herself, this trait fits. Plus it can be hilarious.

With my ancestral game save I also used the copy of my sixth great-grandfather I first created for the 'contest' when all we had was the CAS demo. I did tweak it just a tad, since I have seen paintings of the man, but I've randomized his family a bit more. The only problem is, his would-be wife didn't fall for him immediately, nor he, her. (This was something that has happened in the previous re-starts, as if the game 'remembers' the previous relationship. :open_mouth: )

But, if things just keep declining, I have often opted for a re-start, or I roll back a save or two and pick up from there. I keep copies of my Sims and lots and I just create a Do-Over. LOL Problem is, I only have ever gotten to a certain point before it all hits the fan and the do-over is necessary in order for me to be 'happy' with it. Slippery-slope, I guess. But, since this game is to have fun. Then I opt for fun!

ETA: I do keep copies of my Sim families with their skills set so that re-starting takes less time. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    This is why in my main save I play multiple households. Were talking about 182 now. I haven't counted in a while, but that's roughly where I'm at. I used to have a problem where all my single sims wound up married with kids so I'd create a new single sim and start over in another household and eventually just do the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy family game play, it can just be a lot of work if you keep doing it over and over again. I always suggest multiple households, but keep it manageable unlike I have. :p
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    This is why in my main save I play multiple households. Were talking about 182 now. I haven't counted in a while, but that's roughly where I'm at. I used to have a problem where all my single sims wound up married with kids so I'd create a new single sim and start over in another household and eventually just do the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy family game play, it can just be a lot of work if you keep doing it over and over again. I always suggest multiple households, but keep it manageable unlike I have. :p

I'm shocked at 182 households 😱😱
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    @Babykittyjade I am too, honestly. It's crazy.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2019
    Its hard in the sims 4 as we have no sandbox game where we can create our own worlds, district types and amount of lots. Most of the times I have to adjust my story and I hate it. It HAS to feel right, so often i experience a lot of stress and pressure.. yes its true. Its not friendly to perfectionists.

When a household and their story does not feel right even when I thought i found the right choices for them, i also learned to wait and see. Many times I need to give it time and play through a hard boring time in order to get them a routine and story to love. That usually happens with the right patience. Now i have stories i never thought would make me so happy to play with just because i pushed through a little.
    Just dont force an unplanned and impulsive event on them just because you want some action and it totally goes off script. Dont be tempted to do this and just habe patience. They will get there.

• lisken0221lisken0221 Posts: 116 Member
    I had a perfect family a few years ago and actually played them through all age groups until their death. Actually they came back as ghosts to visit their children and grand kids. I still have album of their life a look at it nostalgically once in a while.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I go on the forums and read what other simmers are up to. This usually gives me ideas on what I would like to do next. Sometimes it just means I have to move on to a new family or resurrect an old save , it all depends on the inspirations fellow simmers give me.
    I love you people.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I recently started a new save in Sulani with six single young adults with the hope I will end up with three married couples. The three guys have been a pain to deal with. The ladies are all happy in their respective careers. One has a part time job in retail and her roommate is a freelance techie. The last lady is a freelance vlogger living in her own home, who has the self absorbed trait and a cat named Mac. But the guys? Two of them are roomies, one is in the athletic career and the other is also a freelance techie. The third one is a vlogger and a painter who owns a dog named Pepper. Those three guys wander all over Sulani and make enemies out of just about everyone they come into contact with. None of them has the evil or mean traits so I have to wonder why it's happening whenever I am playing one of the female households. I've never encountered this before. Two weeks into this save and I am about ready to give those three guys the boot and start over with three new romantic interests. This is not the way I pictured things would go, according to the storyline I had in mind for all of them. But I have to admit, the way it is all playing out is not my usual style yet I am intrigued and I'm thinking of sticking with this save the way it is without tweaking it to better suit my usual game play style. Even though this save doesn't fall into line with my idea of perfection, it has made playing the game more of a challenge. And it has given me a bit of a jolt because it is so different from my other saves. Maybe I need this just to move me away from my comfort zone, so to speak. It certainly won't be a boring experience to play this out, and I will remind myself of that every time I am tempted to evict those three guys in favor of creating replacements for them. If it ever starts to feel hopeless or too difficult, I will tweak the save so it's more in line with how I usually play. But for now, I am just going to go with it and see where it leads me.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    When I'm not feeling it, I will create a new game save, and put the other aside, or I will create a new household in the same gave save and let the other household become just part of the background. If there is a save I haven't played in at least a month, that save will get deleted.

This is what I have done. Households that didn't set right for me to stick with become background Sims in my saves. I'll see them every once in a while while playing my satisfying households, and don't feel they are "wasted" just because they turned out not to be what I like to play.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

I'm shocked at 182 households 😱😱

I'm good with 7 tops. I've abandoned the 7th one though as I wasn't feeling it (hence this thread) so I'm now down to my 6 favourites.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I play family style, and have added a foster child or teen to the family from time to time, all my Sims have a bit of backstory, so that helps me to have a direction for them to take.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    i often aspire to friend a grim reaper : )

which is why there is so much death in my game i just keep ending up with sims i don't like ._.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I create another family in the same game save. If I'm really not feeling it I just evict them and let them run around doing their own thing. Or I delete them. Sometimes some custom content helps the situation but that is rare. If it's their house I will comb that gallery for the right house and move them in.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play the premade families and switch around them all the time. I enjoy them all. It's a part of the game for me dealing with whatever way the sims and their families are. It may feel strange at first when I play a new family but after a little time I love them like all the other sims families.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I try to see if I enjoy diving into the lives of some of the premade families and move on from there. If I get bored with them as well, I move to CAS where I create/download a Sim and try to make him/her/them different than what I usually end up with. I give them contradictory traits and maybe an aspiration I haven't tried for a while. As you see, experimentation often puts me out of the "Gah, this game is boring..." zone.

You could also create a new save file and maybe try one of the many challenges that float around: Orphan Challenge, 100 Baby Challenge, Complete 10 Aspirations Challenge, what have you.

Good luck and happy Simming!