Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inventory, PLEEEEASE

Just fix it somehow, even something as simple as having it sort by item type would help. Then you'd develop a muscle memory for whereabouts the item you want is likely to be. It's infuriating right now. Literally.

(And please stop the inventory from scrolling back up to the top by itself as it does now. This makes things 200% worse as well.)
You're Breathtaking!

Comments

• MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yes! Been thinking just the same today - simple sorting by type would be great: collectibles, minerals, harvestables, consumables, food, equipment etc. If nothing, sort by alphabetical order dunno.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Seconding this so much. At least in the household inventory you can filter by type but in Sims' personal inventories there doesn't seem to be any sort of logic. Being able to sort it by type or amount or even alphabetically would help so much.

Same goes for any sort of inventory including the fridge.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Echoing. My main save has so much junk valuable stuff in their treasure chest, it's frustrating every time I actually need to find something. Even a sort on alphabetical order or last thing acquired would help. I have no idea what sort it thinks it's using.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    We also need a 'sell everything' option, especially in the household inventory.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    The fact that there's not even a mod for this after five years makes me fear that, for some reason, it's simply not possible. Then again, RoM introduced a new way of storing certain objects (in this case brooms and wands) that groups them all together while also allowing two or more of the same to be in a group, so I now have hope again that they might do this for other stuff, too.

One problem I can imagine is the question of how to group certain objects. Would you put edible plants under Food (along with plates of cooked meals) or under Plants? Is one group for plants even enough, or should it be split into fruits, herbs, flowers and whatever else there might be? What about collectibles that serve no other purpose than completing a collection (like postcards), does every one of these get its own group as well? With all there is to collect and carry around, would we eventually have so many groups in our inventories that we'd need yet another way to sort those?

So many questions... But if all else fails, simply sorting everything alphabetically should at least be doable. I'd take anything at this point because my simself is a witch and an archaeologist and has a few other things I don't know what to do with yet, so the inventory is messy to say the least.
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    Alphabetically sounds great on paper only, but then you forget you must also look at every item you pass to know which letter you're already on. :wink:

Sorting it by item type you can go by visuals instead and would be faster. Alphabetically would be nice only if you had the item list as texts.
    You're Breathtaking!
    Alphabetically sounds great on paper only, but then you forget you must also look at every item you pass to know which letter you're already on. :wink:

Sorting it by item type you can go by visuals instead and would be faster. Alphabetically would be nice only if you had the item list as texts.

Yeah, there's also the issue of not quite remembering item names. But glancing at an item every few rows to know which letter you're on sounds a lot more reasonable than having to scroll through a constantly refreshing (and thus jumping to the top) mess of everything jumbled up in no order whatsoever.
    The fact that there's not even a mod for this after five years makes me fear that, for some reason, it's simply not possible. Then again, RoM introduced a new way of storing certain objects (in this case brooms and wands) that groups them all together while also allowing two or more of the same to be in a group, so I now have hope again that they might do this for other stuff, too.

One problem I can imagine is the question of how to group certain objects. Would you put edible plants under Food (along with plates of cooked meals) or under Plants? Is one group for plants even enough, or should it be split into fruits, herbs, flowers and whatever else there might be? What about collectibles that serve no other purpose than completing a collection (like postcards), does every one of these get its own group as well? With all there is to collect and carry around, would we eventually have so many groups in our inventories that we'd need yet another way to sort those?

So many questions... But if all else fails, simply sorting everything alphabetically should at least be doable. I'd take anything at this point because my simself is a witch and an archaeologist and has a few other things I don't know what to do with yet, so the inventory is messy to say the least.

Hm, good point about groups.

Personally, glancing at my current Sim's inventory, I'd go with:

Books, Collectibles, Dishes, Drinks, Harvestables, Mail (for Get Famous at least), Paintings, Photos, Upgrade Parts, Miscellaneous

Misc could encompass things like Plant Slides, drones, voodoo dolls, kids' and teens' homework, journals, pet toys, future cubes etc. Just, anything that doesn't have a very specific category already and that maybe already stacks up (like if you have several future cubes only one shows up with the multiples indicator.

Indeed having the RoM sorting and the Moschino pack digital frames is giving me some hope that an overhaul to inventories is coming. It really would ease a lot of frustration being able to know where to look for things at least a little better than now.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Yes yes yes!!! The inventory is such an unorganized mess and it’s hard to find anything even if much isn’t in there. I’ve wanted this for years!!! Even as simple as having new ways to sort would be something, a search feature, a filter. Things that are in BB mode and CAS do they should be possible for sure.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    A Hide Objects option would be nice too. I've got one sims who's inventory is crammed with Jungle Adventure items, but hasn't had time to go back yet, & they're really cluttering up her inventory. I could put them in the household inventory, I suppose, but when I do that I usually forget about it until too late, so being able to hide them, or have sub-categories would be nice. I don't want to sell or get rid of them either, because some of that adventure gear isn't always available & the emotion berry tree isn't always in bloom, so it helps to have them on hand.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I should think alphabetical should be doable. I can't reason out the sort system now.
    Just fix it somehow, even something as simple as having it sort by item type would help. Then you'd develop a muscle memory for whereabouts the item you want is likely to be. It's infuriating right now. Literally.

(And please stop the inventory from scrolling back up to the top by itself as it does now. This makes things 200% worse as well.)

Oh my gosh how I WISH that scrolling would stop!

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Yeah, when I move my household, 8 rows of stuff in family inventory, the moment I pick something up, it scrolls back up. And there's no logic in how it's put in there.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.

Books, Collectibles, Dishes, Drinks, Harvestables, Mail (for Get Famous at least), Paintings, Photos, Upgrade Parts, Miscellaneous

And that's where the problem starts, because mine would be very different. :D I would lump dishes and drinks together in an overarching Food category because I keep neither in a sim's inventory for too long, same with paintings and photos, and just to reduce the amount of groups, I would put everything that resembles a book (actual books, self-written ones, magic tomes, journals, homework) into one category as well. Then, I need a separate category for Selvadorada artefacts alone, and completely forgot about the upgrade parts.

What would be a good sorting idea for one player may not be for another, and that's part of the problem. How could they do it to please and make it easier for everyone? (Well, the obvious answer would be "options", but options and TS4 don't go well together, as we all know...)

And that's where the problem starts, because mine would be very different. :D I would lump dishes and drinks together in an overarching Food category because I keep neither in a sim's inventory for too long, same with paintings and photos, and just to reduce the amount of groups, I would put everything that resembles a book (actual books, self-written ones, magic tomes, journals, homework) into one category as well. Then, I need a separate category for Selvadorada artefacts alone, and completely forgot about the upgrade parts.

What would be a good sorting idea for one player may not be for another, and that's part of the problem. How could they do it to please and make it easier for everyone? (Well, the obvious answer would be "options", but options and TS4 don't go well together, as we all know...)

Fair enough and so true about the options. (granted, I've also seen people very opposed to options in the game but that's a whole different conversation)

I'll admit I was thinking about inventories beyond the personal one with the food and drinks because that Dishes/Drinks/Harvestables divide would be awesome for fridges, not so much for personal inventories.

Collectibles could be separated out into their respective categories: Fish, Postcards, Crystals etc. The thing is, there are already systems that separate out the items that get thrown into a SIm's inventory so I wish they'd apply. I also concede on the Books category, throwing in all the books the way they are in a bookshelf (that does also hold homeworks, skill books, journals etc) would work. To be fair, upgrade parts could fall under miscellaneous since there's only, what, four types? That's not too cluttery.

I mean, obviously there's already tagging code present for the items: flowers can only be stashed in a flower arranging table, food in the fridge, only fish can be put into aquariums and fish bowls. It's "just" a matter of setting up a system for this in the inventory itself.
    In the end the order it's sorted in is less important than that it's sorted at all :smiley: Now it's just random and it takes forever to find what you want.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'd like the inventory sorted or categorized, but hopefully not too many categories. How about simply adding "4-5 rooms" in all inventories - then we can sort as we like? EA won't need to decide what we are going to put where, a color code would do.

New additions could be put in the "old" room, until we actively move it. I'd hate to click 10 times just to check if there was something new added during game play. Collectibles, Edibles and Other would do for me. I think of the personal inventory as a pocket, I normally limit the amount of items.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Yes. I used to sell the furnishings when moving my Sims onto another lot, until I realized their garden is also included. Now, I keep their stuff, but just in trying to replant their garden with partially grown plants, the dern thing scrolls back to the top. I spend more precious game-playing time just preserving their crops than I do playing.

Also, I would love it were we allowed to have our Sims store certain things in their personal inventories, instead of the family inventory. For instance, my celebrity Sim in past saves would win an award for throwing a Meet & Greet or even a Charity Event. He can place them in his room from the family inventory, but yet, when he leaves home for his own place, he can't pack them into his personal inventory. Which means I have to use debug and spend his § to replace the 'stolen' awards. Totally messed up.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    The scrolling is the worst. But yeah something really needs to be done
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I love this idea, I liked how I could categorize things in fridges or chests in 3, I want that back too, it is highly aggravating
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'd like the inventory to have actual slots that things were placed in and didn't move. So I could sort it how I wanted to. At the very least get rid of the refresh scrolling. This has been annoying me more than usual recently with the RoM potions and ingredients.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I wouldn't even mind if it consistently sorted items in order of when they were obtained.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

Honestly, I’d settle for them just fixing this even if they can’t be asked to do anything else.
    I think the best way of organising the inventory would be if we could organise it ourselves, and make our own groups of objects, because not only is not every player the same, not every sim of a player is the same either.

That way my scientist could have one group for every kind of object he needs: Crystals, Elements, Metals, Plants, Potions, and Miscellaneous for everything else because he only carries around very little that doesn't relate to his job. My bestselling author archaeologist witch on the other hand would sort things very differently, having one group for artefacts, one for magic potions, one for potion ingredients that encompasses plants, frogs, fish and crystals, one for all the other magic items such as brooms, wands, familiars and unread tomes (that go into the shelf once they've served their purpose), one for her own books for public readings, and the obligaroty Miscellaneous group for everything else.

But I'm afraid I'm daydreaming a little too much now.
    Ultimately I'd love to see a general sorting method for when you just look at the inventory outright.

Then I'd like a more focused approach when let's say I walk up to the fridge and open that inventory, then my shown inventory could place all items I CAN drag into the fridge to the top. Same with anything that can hold certain items such as the floral table, etc.

I shouldn't have to scroll past items I can't place there at all. Right now it's the most basic inventory system you can imagine, and it wouldn't take much work to have it be something that won't annoy you but rather make it easier for you to play the game.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I empty my Sims' inventories of all but a few necessary items (some fruit for a quick snack, kids' homework and anything they need at a particular time). Everything else goes into the treasure chest, fridge or household inventory. I've got a few items I'm still collecting that I put in display cases in the basement so that I know what I already have (like the refined jewels).

I wish things would stay in their proper cases when you move them to the household inventory. One generation collected all of the military badges. When I moved the family, I put the display case in the household inventory, and now the badges are all over the place.

That sale table from JA is quite useful - you can put a lot of stuff in it that won't go in other places.
    I just want things to match. :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top