Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Packs you own, but haven't played with yet :o

Who else does this? I feel a bit guilty and spoiled at times when I do this :D I mean, I have been asking for a certain pack for so long and then BAMN it releases, I get super excited and for some reason, my story is just not ready yet to play in this new world or long waited features of the new pack.
Sometimes I am even worried that the developers will think I (and the others in the same boat) do not like the pack and that this is reason why we do not play it, cause let's be honest, they love to look at their statistics rather than the deeper meaning behind them.
This makes me anxious and I feel I need to rush my story to play with installed packs, but i also know that it does not mean anything, just simply that i am preparing my story for it which can take.. months.. ehm a year sometimes maybe..?? *blush*

I did this with Island living. LOVE IT, but have not even played with the world, the household or any new features. I have only.. build.. build in the world to prepare my storyline.

I also did this with toddlers, can you imagine???!! I was one of the loudest to scream how we should have toddlers, but my story was just not ready for it. I do now play with it a lot, but it took some months to allow myself to play with this pack. And it is even one of my favorite packs of all time!

Do you feel the same way? Which packs are you guilty of treating this way?

Comments

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I never thought about before but yeah, I do this too. I really haven't fully explored Get Famous or a few other packs. I think I usually explore the main feature of a pack but forget about the little things. There are things I probably never did in TS3, to be honest. I don't really feel guilty about it, though because I know at some point I'll work it into the story. And while there are things I wouldn't mind having in game, I don't really "scream" for anything. I just get excited once it's actually added.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Probably Outdoor retreat. I use the CAS/BB stuff and the cooking recipes but I don't travel to the location much.
    Then, I'm very picky and have 9 DLCs in total.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,345 Member
    I don't even buy a pack until I have clear ideas what I want to use it for. For example, I only bought Get to Work about six months ago, when I decided I wanted to create a story about a vampire detective and his alien roommate. Up until then, I didn't have a use for it, so I didn't get it. I don't see any reason to feel guilty about that. It's just normal prudent consumer behavior. Don't buy things you don't need. Since they are all digital downloads, I don't feel any rush. It's not like they're going to sell out and I'll miss my chance.

The statistics may influence future project decisions a long way down the road, but the packs take a long time to make, so what's coming out in the next couple years is already planned and in progress right now. Your decision to delay purchasing or playing with a new pack until you are ready for it, likely has no real bearing on what is already in progress, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's your money and your personal time. You can spend it as you see fit.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I am so guilty of this! There are things from the base game I haven’t even done yet, I wish there was a challenge out there that helped with this. I might try and start one. I once made save where each household focused on a pack so I could try it out. :D Didn’t get very far with it though.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    If I could afford that, Realm of Magic would be such a case for me. I know I want magic and have already gotten mods to deal with pack's annoyances, but see no way of integrating it into the save I'm currently invested in.
    Sometimes I am even worried that the developers will think I (and the others in the same boat) do not like the pack and that this is reason why we do not play it, cause let's be honest, they love to look at their statistics rather than the deeper meaning behind them.

This is one of the reasons why I have Share Data disabled. I enjoy taking screenshots of posed sims, both to illustrate stories and to create family albums. But those sessions consist of entering the game, motherloding, excessive cheating of moods and relationship values, unfinished builds and exiting the game after a short time, often without saving. I certainly do not want them to believe this is my (or any simmers) playstyle! I mean, of course it IS part of my playstyle, but not the fraction that I want them to base their decisions for the future on.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Oh I've definitely done this.... and continue to do it. If a pack doesn't fit for a story I want to play out or I can't think of a scenario where it will be useful even if I like the idea of it I don't use it (or parts of it). Early example was getting OR and GTW at the same time. I was playing a ghost couple at the time huge garden, go where they want too types and I played with OR/base game/stuff packs for more than half a year. Finally tried out the doctor career much later then other packs came. It was year later before I tried my favorite.. the science career and then I played those stories for nearly a year almost exclusively. Other packs drop and it's the same thing. I'm either liking the storylines I'm playing and it doesn't fit or I can't think of a story/character to make it fit with so it waits, or again parts of it wait. The build/buy is almost always folded in.
    I don't feel guilty though.. I use it, parts of it or will use it eventually. Sometimes I even want something not in game yet to make it work fully for something I want to play out with my sims.
    I still haven't played a vampire for more than a sim week at a time. I deep dove into spellcasting immediately though. I appreciate the furniture and even the vampire victims I have in my game through that pack but I haven't played it deeply even though I would say it's integrated into my game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    There are elements of most packs that I have not touched. Get famous: not done the acting career. Get to Work: cop and medical careers. City Living: critic careers. Laundry room: I have not done the hand wash bin. Moschino: photography career. Outdoor Retreat: not found the hermit yet. Jungle Adventures: basically any of it. I visited like twice? So far. Strangerville: not done military career.

Those are only some that I can think of. That’s why I like the packs. There are always things to do or explore in the future.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I test packs first, so I know which new inconvenience I have to mod out on my real save before it gets contaminated, but I've been testing for months now without time to play my main save.

So I haven't started on my plans for Get Famous, Strangerville, Island Living and now Realm of Magic, yet.
    It doesn't help that new lots are more and more ugly, so besides planning, I also have to rebuild them.
    At this rate I'm probably never going back to my main save.
  • Options
    meljonesmeljones Posts: 45 Member
    I haven't touched Strangerville or Get Famous. I really haven't done much with Get Weather or whatever it is called besides live in it. I just usually buy whatever they put out and play with the stuff I like like Sulani and Magic.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of most of my packs. It just gives me something to look forward to. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    There a lot of things I haven't done yet because I'm waiting on features like overhauled babies for stories I want to play.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I am one who feels like I’ve barely scratched the surface of every pack and even the base game, I’m always finding new things to do. I sometimes take a really long time to explore certain things. I’ve for sure used every pack in someway but there are still so many things I haven’t done in game. I made a list of things a while back and it was like 50 plus details I hadn’t done in sims 4. I’m guilty of buying packs and like half using them before something else comes along. I’ve barely touched JA, vampires, GTW but it’s really just that it hasn’t fit a story for me yet.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yes. I am guilty of this too. There is several things I haven't done and although I have tested out things in other saved games that I rarely go back to (for instance I played a few Sim weeks in another saved game testing out seasons and I created a household in Brindleton in another saved game and even played with Vlad) but in my main saved game there is several things I haven't done... And to me, if I haven't done it in my main saved game I 'havent done it'.

Vampires for instance. I do have ALL original vampires and have moved them into my favorites section of my household management so they don't get culled or accidentally deleted by me but I haven't played any yet. Mostly because I am and have been waiting for the vampire bugs to be ironed out (yes, I am optimistic). I do however have a Sim (who is a teen at the moment) that will eventually become a vampire and even either move in with Vlad or the siblings.

Another is parts of the GTO expansion; mainly the doctor and science career respectively. Retail is another part of this expansion I don't dabble in, yet. I do have a family set aside (lottery winners) that will buy and set up a retail mall in my saved game but I am really in no hurry.

Dine Out: I LOVE restaurants and I have several in my saved game and I love having my Sims go their both on dates and just unofficial like for many reasons BUT none of my Sims own a restaurant or run them and honestly, I don't think that I will. At least not in the near future. It's just not something I am interested in.

Parenthood and character values...I don't really actively bother with them unless its for finishing the aspiration on the parents' side. If there are any values I want a Sim to have, I cheat them in. I don't obsess over them. Usually the kids run wild and the toddlers are feral.

Island Living; I love this pack and I have at least 2 households at the moments in my rotation living there. But I haven't done much that has influenced the conservation part of the island and there has not been any changes to the island that I have read can happen. I will eventually get back to the island in my rotation so I am thinking of giving the island some much needed TLC and maybe try out the new career.

Cats & Dogs; Brindleton. I have tried this neighbourhood in other save but in my main save, its almost pristine. I have swapped out the dog park for another one I found on the gallery that has much better function and looks gorgeous and my Sims do visit there. For instance, my Raj has adopted a stray cat from there and the Kalani guy (from the Roomies household) is romancing the cat lady and I am thinking that they might become a couple. But I haven't played any of the inhabitants yet.

Strangerville; I haven't finished the mystery yet but I have started on it and I even started up phase two I think. I am deliberetly saving the mystery until I get to a later point in my saved game.

I am probably forgetting something but this is it from the top of my head.

• Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Not really, but as I remember, it was years before I visited that hidden lot in the cave that comes with the base game.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    While I do Love Love Love the vampires in game, I've yet to play all the way through being a vampire. I've only dabbled with them here and there but I do use the build/buy items a lot. And just recently I finally went through the Jungle Adventure completing all Temples and collections. I have also never had a sim go to Sixam from GTW.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I bought OR for the BB items, which are fantastic, and Herbalism. I visited Granite Falls all of once and left after three hours because there was nothing to do there besides eat bugs. If I ever get Spa Day, I'm converting it into a relaxation destination.

Honestly though, I might start using it more. I have alchemist spellcasters studying Herbalism, but maybe they should go to Granite Falls and try out their skills first-hand.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I don't play packs through all the way at once, so I guess I'm the same way. Haven't maxed any of the GTW careers yet, haven't completed the strangerville boss fight, haven't been bowling, haven't had a master vampire yet....I just change my focus a lot, but still want to try new things, so...it is what it is. I'm like this with everything though--books, movies, knitting projects, watercolors. I'm a start-stopper lol. I almost always finish what I start, it just takes me a hundred times longer 😂
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2019
    Get Famous. I uninstalled it before I touched any of its build or CAS content.
    Post edited by So_Money on
  • Options
    JediMuppetJediMuppet Posts: 98 Member
    I have barely used get famous, spa day, and bowling stuff.
  • Options
    SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think I’ve done this with almost every pack in some form. I never explored jungle adventure, moved into an apartment, owned a restaurant and so many others things I have not done with packs I own. One pack I can say that I own and never played at all is get famous. When I installed it my game lagged a bit so I automatically disabled it. I just figured one day when I’m ready to dwell into the whole fame thing or I get a new rig I’ll try it out. As for right now I’m too busy trying to finish my 100 baby challenge for like the 100th time and getting famous just isn’t in my sims cards at the moment. I’m terrible when it comes to buying packs and not fully exploring all it has to offer. Glad to see many of us do the same. 😅
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I just started to play around the Jungle Adventure. I have owned it forever but I just now got around to it because I was playing it in conjunction with my Vampire and I wanted to make sure he had the sun immunity perk maxed.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I do play all packs, but I might wait weeks after getting it. Like OP I want the new features to match my story. I will typically play a test sim to check out the obvious, then take a long wait. I like most new contents (I avoid buying packs I don't think I will enjoy so much), there's just so much to play and so few RL hours to do it.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I took a long break and came back only in the last month or so. I got some new packs in the sale and there are still things that I have yet to work with.

Playing rotationally, I might have an idea of how I will use something but I haven't gotten there yet. I acquired stuff when I could afford it over time, so I'm not worried about it.

I did recently play StrangerVille and have a household leftover from it but I haven't played with townies that I intend to make playable like the conspiracy theorist best friend of my "hero". (Her friend is a randomly generated one who just has a cool vibe.)

I've only recently been exploring more of JA. My households do vacation there or in JA. I haven't tried that in Island Living because I probably won't move someone in just to move them out in a week.

I have yet to work with: Moschino (got a fashion photographer planned), Island Living (just played a bit of one household; I will get into it more), Luxury Party (I had one party with a fountain) and I think that's it as far as whole packs go.

There are elements of each pack that I haven't fully explored but I like having options. As it is, yes, I'm ready for some fun new gameplay.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    TLM08TLM08 Posts: 105 Member
    I haven't played Strangerville, ROM, or Moschino yet. My main save is a rotational play and while I have moved in a family to strangerville. I just haven' gotten around to playing it. I usually test play each pack, but I just decided nope I'm just going to wait until I get to a point in my story that I play that pack. I have been trying to play out some of the aspects of other packs like actually going to work with my GTW careers and maxing them out.

But don't feel bad, I have never owned a restaurant, vet clinic, played out the acting career, done any sort of free lance career, done all of the festivals, messed with the weather, played with gnomes, run a retail business, or been famous. Basically the list could continue, but I don't feel bad because I play the way it works for me and that's the whole point of the game.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I used Bowling Night Stuff once... I haven't played a Bowling Alley in my world for so long. I do use some of the CAS though, it's actually quite nice.
    funny-gifs20.gif