Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

On the subject of EP’s

Has anyone noticed that Ep’s and game packs have gone down in quality since Cats and Dogs I mean look at Get to Work and Outdoor Retreat and Dine out they were brilliant but now the new content just seems poor let’s take get Famous as a good example of what I am getting at it had some fun ideas the star power thing and paparazzi but overall it was a bit lacking the world was small most of the clothes are not for everyday and most of the objects were well....not good now let’s look at Get To Work it was huge had lots of fun activates tons of nice cool new content but Get Famous and island Paradise just seem a bit flat almost boring in comparison.Dose anyone else feel the same?

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't think many people actually like GTW and I personally think Get Famous is great. So can't really agree.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Well, Seasons came out after C&D so definitely can't agree. And even though I had no interest in GF (I got it only because it was super discounted), I ended up liking it & think it's a good pack.

IL has issues for a lot of people, sure. Can't judge that one since I don't have it yet. Overall though, I definitely don't agree with the downhill thing. If anything, it's a matter of preference.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member

Well, Seasons came out after C&D so definitely can't agree.

whoops well I know I feel that quality has dipped but that may just be me I got mixed up between release dates
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    It has been on the low side recently since Island Living. All three of the packs that Maxis said they planned to release this year were packs that left a lot to be desired, especially its SP and EP. Realm of Magic is just... "fine".
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    edited September 2019
    I also have the impression of declining quality, starting with get Famous.

This was the first pack where I noticed houses are off, as in no toilets. Now we had two game packs in a row with badly furnished houses. Bad floor plans, to little furniture, an unusable kitchen in strangerville,...

Worlds have also changed. Del Sol Valley has tiny neighbourhoods when it comes to lots per neighbourhood. Backdrops seem moreiimportant than playable area. And the world map teases a beach, but we don't get one. Strangerville has a world I like, but the normal version can only be unlocked by playing the storyline. And now Glimmerbrook, the perfect setting for remote locations in the woods, is dominated by driveways and a parking lot. Only Sulani seems to be a good world, but then again it is the main focus of a pack which is lacking in almost every other area.

Build buy seems OK, if it were not for missing island counters in Island living (now fixed), missing cabinets for kitchens in RoM, color options that don't match. (I still fail to see why this had to be fixed in today's emergency patch and not actual gameplay options like sellable potions.)

And the I haven't even touched the subject of younger sims being totally neglected in recent packs when it comes to gameplay. Only the Sulani sandcastles come to mind, but don't you dare think of a parent making a boat trip with their kids. Children only get a few leftovers if budget allows it, but they could do with some new gameplay. Or how about a fifth aspiration?

The packs aren't bad, but EA dropped the ball a few times to many to make them great. I have a feeling a bit more playtesting (off the grid felt like beta testing ) and polish the packs before they ship could make a big difference. That would at least be a start.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,190 Member
    I always thought Outdoor Retreat was boring. There's nothing to do in Granite Falls. I don't understand what the appeal of it is.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    For me it's gone down since Seasons. For all packs, not just EPs. I hope next year will be better.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2019
    I agree with @ListentoToppDogg

It’s been downhill since Seasons for me. Get Famous and Island Living are garbage IMO and Strangerville is just okay. I wasn’t tremendously wowed by the novelty of its “story”. I can’t speak to RoM’s quality because I don’t own it.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited September 2019
    ...you really managed to name 3 packs that i find most problems with as the ''good examples''
    soooo i guess i disagree

but i also feel that eps are not doing enough in ts4

and its probably partly due to introducing gps in the series

and then also trying to put gameplay objects in stuff packs as well

before we only had eps and stuff packs and everything was clear

eps introduced new gameplay, new mechanics and possible new worlds
    concentrating on one bigger theme of gameplay (pets,university,seasons,magic,travel)

stuff packs introduced well, extra stuff for b/b and cas basically.
    nothing much of a gameplay as far as i remember and mostly themed in some fashion style or interior style

now what they are doing is making packs out of smaller themes that used to just be one big ep before
    and slightly trying to make it a bigger thing to do or relate the gameplay in things they didn't relate it to before

but the problem is its never quite big enough to justify 2 packs since people know it has fit in one pack before
    and it just seems ridiculous when the themes are so similar to begin with

like for example before we would have one travel ep

now to play ts4 travel you need
    spa day, outdoor retreat, island living, jungle adventure....
    its just insane how many you need to achieve that one bigger theme
    and its still not possible to play actual ''travel'' ep level either

and the other problem is eps becoming big part ''stuff packs'' or ''world packs''
    on side of gps and sps that are starting to have similar amount of gameplay to ts4 ep

stuff packs having careers and gameplay items instead of just cool stuff,
    game packs getting worlds and way more unique gameplay but cut short by pack size limitations...
    eps weirdly favoring more stuff over more gameplay...

its just getting very problematic and annoying
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2019
    It’s ironic you listed Get To Work, Outdoor Retreat and Dine Out as peak packs when there are many people and threads on this very website to refute this statement.

Some folks say careers from Get To Work have been bugged for YEARS, Dine Out constantly has bugs and you can’t run a restaurant successfully unless you’re on the lot, and I personally never send my Sims to Granite Falls because I feel the whole concept is boring.

I guess everything is and has been kinda “meh” lol
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited September 2019
    OP, how is Get To Work and Outdoor Retreat great? I think it's just you. 😂 Get To Work's world is like smaller than Get Famous'.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    It’s kinda sad to be honest. I’ve liked all the additions, but as many have indicated there are issues with them all. I remember the times in the past when that wasn’t the case. I mean bugs where always there, but things were never as bad as they are now. Not sure what the deal is.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I disagree. I think Island Living and StrangerVille are definitely bad packs, but I really enjoy all the other EPs and GPs, including Get Famous and Realm of Magic.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    For me it's been more of a constant up and down rather than a decline. Of the recent packs I absolutely adore Strangerville and Island Living, while Realm of magic strikes me as pretty milquetoast (don't own it yet, though).

There was a definite rise in object quality around Kids Room stuff, where the artstyle went from toddler save dollhouse furniture to something more detailed that I cannot put a name on. The same for hairs. Bugs, there were some pretty jarring ones every now and then - remember the one where every sim who aged up up got the same small eyes and broad jawline, completely ruining generational play? I haven't seen something equally game-breaking afterwards, so it's definitely not getting worse. If anything, the quality is more inconsistent than in decline. The days when I went out getting a new sims EP without research are long past.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I also think it's a preference thing. I play many packs more often than others and release order has nothing to do with it. More it's what I want to use in my game and the interests I have. This has been a wonderful year of content for me... but so has the beginning. I have some less liked packs in between all of that.
    I think the quality of the build buy items and CAS has most definitely increased as the years have gone by. You can just look at the hair and clothing textures to see that. The game play .. it depends, some hits and misses all along... and that too is determined by preference.
    egTcBMc.png
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Get To Work's world is like smaller than Get Famous'.
    yeah I never used that word but for me it was all about the active careers really loved that aspect infact I still use them

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    TS4 EP's for me are a mixed bag. Overall I think they aren't as good as past iterations. Some features feel like they were left in the middle of development, always lacking something, the lack of depth and detail is undeniable in all of them and most of the time the gameplay they offer is very short term. EP's like IL and CL shouldn't be EP's, they don't expand the whole game, they are more like world packs. IL was absolutely the worst for me, very lacking in any substantial gameplay and they didn't even changed other worlds to have open swimmable areas if you have the EP. Mermaids were also left with missing features, no unique bassinet or urn and lack of gameplay.

Personally I like Get Famous, but I do wish they hadn't recycled the woohoo animations. Something that is becoming the norm with this game, increasingly so, is that they are starting to recycle a lot, either because they can't be bothered or because they are afraid the game might not handle many more of them, either way I'm not spending money buying the same things I already bought.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'm gonna be that guy and say that I like them all because each pack plays an important part for storytelling. EPs, GPs, and SPs may have their strengths and weaknesses, but all of them are valuable to me personally.
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    I'm gonna say what's there does feel like quality, the issue I have is just how little depth there is to anything. What they did do they touched up fine, but they just didn't go wide enough or deep enough. It's well made, but light. (and well, some bugs too)
    You're Breathtaking!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    edited September 2019
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    snip... This was the first pack where I noticed houses are off, as in no toilets. Now we had two game packs in a row with badly furnished houses. Bad floor plans, to little furniture, an unusable kitchen in strangerville,...
    snip...

I actually think it's okay that houses are not perfect. I much prefer them to be more like a start point that I want to expand or upgrade as soon as my sims can afford it. Most EA made houses have way too big rooms for my taste, and I will normally turn a 1 bedroom house into a 3 bedrooms house with ease. I assume we simmers have different preferences, so as long as a house's exterior looks okay, I'm happy with the poor floor plans etc.

On topic - I don't expect each pack to be an exceptional stand alone game. I like it when it weaves into my existing packs as well as add something new. But with all these packs it's fine with me that the wow factor gets smaller the more packs I have.

My favorite packs are those giving me tools to organize my game better. Although some think Get Famous was not superb, I love the fame system and I use it for all kinds of things, pretty much like the club system can be used for making it easier to invite non-household family members over for a regular Sunday dinner.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Nope, the recent packs have been my favourites.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited September 2019
    I can understand what you're getting at, but I think that the quality of EPs has actually improved. I think what the issue is is that Get Famous is quite a niche theme so it isn't something that most people are going to use every day. Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous and Island Living were all much better quality-wise (IMO) than the first couple of EPs which all had major flaws. Get to Work had cool new careers but they became monotonous and the retail system is very lacking, Get Together was basically a new world and some new objects bundled together indiscriminately; City Living had an extremely lacking apartment system. Get Famous is a pack I don't use very often, but what it does do, it does very well.

The GPs have always been quite strong IMO (perhaps excluding Spa Day and RoM). I don't like fantasy play much, but even from my perspective I think Vampires was a better pack than RoM.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Since this is an opinion thread, I believe the Sims 4 is getting better. In Sims 3, the computer could hardly handle all the packs in 5 years, plus the last couple of packs I could have done without...ITF, seriously? I also believe the sims themselves are the best of all the rest of the sims, including Sims 2. My sims are seemingly all different, something I noticed that wasn't in all the others. No, they do not look up at the monitor like in Sims 2, which was a little creepy to me, but you could count on your sim reacting in a certain way because they all reacted in the same way given the same situation. I love my sims now, they are so different to me and so unpredictable.

No way do I think Sims 4 is going down in quality, in fact, with the hint of Uni, I believe it is definitely going in a positive, upward direction.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It's a matter of preference. I actually prefer the recent packs to previous.