Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living Vacation Rentals

JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
Hey Summer Simmers!

I had a question regarding rentals in Island Living. My Sim went to Sulani and when I built a couple of properties for my family to stay in nothing happened. Is this a glitch? I IGed the team and other Simmers but haven’t heard anything back. Is there a guide to how to access rentals online because the Lessons menu doesn’t even mention it.

71rbpi.png

Comments

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Sulani is a livable world, not destination, so there aren’t any rentals there. You can use mods to change venue types to rentals, but with a vanilla game you’ll only have the residential option.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I placed a nice home that fit with the Island, labeled it generic and plan to take sims there to use it
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited June 2019
    My planned work-around is to have them actually move to a furnished lot, with freerealestate cheat on, and move them back when I am done. I'll manually deduct some money - probably around 20k - from household funds to represent the expense (it can't be cheap to get there, with a child, let alone rent what must be prime tourist accommodations).
    Post edited by Sindocat on
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Besides generic you can make something like a hotel on one of the lots, using a nightclub, bar, lounge, spa, park, pool, gym, with hotel rooms if you want. Luckily in the sims 4 other sims don’t use the rooms to sleep, at least not in a bar ( I have a lot I downloaded for the purpose of a motel room in OA, and other sims don’t use the rooms, but they do show up to the bar.). Add a buffet table, pool, and gym or spa stuff, and you have a pretty nice hotel. If you have seasons, use the calendar and make a holiday called vacation for however many days you want to be there. Make sure you mark no work or school and there is your vacation, just remember not to send sims home by the house button, instead pick the travel button. If you do send children home or something, just bring them back to the current lot when you get back to the hotel/ bed and breakfast or whatever you choose to call it.-
  • JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    Wow. Thanks, fellow Simmers!
    71rbpi.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    I think it would of been cool to have one or two rentals in Sulani as an extra option for vacationing sims even though it's more of an island designed for sims to live in. Like do worlds have to be exclusive to either being a living place or a vacation place? Why not both? It seems like a perfect place for vacationing but I wouldn't want it to be exclusive for just vacations like the other two vacation places.
  • Cassie_RCassie_R Posts: 1 New Member
    When building in Sulani there is an option to create a rental lot. I thought that was exclusive to the actual vacation worlds? When I saw the rental type in Sulani I thought they were maybe "opening" up that possibility.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    The option exists everywhere. The lots actually work as rentals only in destination worlds.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    The option exists everywhere. The lots actually work as rentals only in destination worlds.

It doesn't require a mod, either. I made a 'rental' lot last night on Sulani. I eventually changed it to a 'generic' lot after discovering that my Sim couldn't rent it, but it probably would have worked the same. You can still live there for weeks without losing your regular home. The only downside is that other Sims can enter the house. (I gave it the 'private dwelling' trait - not sure how much effect it's having, but no one has bothered my Sim while she was in the house. I only discovered that other Sims had been there when one of them left a glass of water on the table.)

In any case, it's been very useful as a base camp for Indiana, who is trying to get all the collectibles. One suggestion before you take your Sim there: put a boat in her inventory. You can buy them from BB while you're there, but you can't put them in the water or drag them into your Sim's inventory because they don't 'own' it. So, if you want to fish from a boat, you need to have it before you go. (It took me a couple of Sim days to find a fishing sign on the volcanic island - I bulldozed the residential lot on the island for her base camp.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited July 2019
    It is also a Vacation spot, I had made a rental trait lot a campsite. they went and did all the things, dived for treasure, dug for treasure, went to the bar, gym, fished and used the sailboat and more. stayed overnight and then I sent them home by the phone and they were back in Newcrest. they would have stayed longer. So no matter where you live, you can travel by the phone to Island Living. live on a campsite lot as a rental. That to me is going on a vacation. I think that is so neat. I also like that a popp came about the city living festival, Another sim called my sim and asked if he wanted to go to the feasible with her. He said yes and they went to the city festival, had fun, got a shirt and came back home on the Island. How neat. So in a way if you like, you can still use Island Living as a vacation spot also. Now I do not know yet, if you can buy a lot to visit, I will have to check it out, unless someone here knows the answer to that. but to visit it is fine. Just make a camp lot as elaborate as you like, or a cabin, or as someone said a hotel of sort, I just used a campsite to try it out, but you can make a cabin or anything to stay in. On any lot. Have a fun vacation and then use the phone and go home when you wish. I though that was fun and nice to be able to do. Learning so many new things about Island living. You can make it a vacation by changing so many lots. Have fun with your sims.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I like zoning a property as retail and buying it as a vacation home.
    My sim bought a property with nothing on it but a cash register, since that is a requirement.

He used it as a campsite and would only go to Sulani on the weekends.
    As he earned more money I had him build it up to a nice vacation home and now he visits Sulani for a week.
    This will probably be my main use for Sulani. I don't want my sims to live there permanently.
    I want my sims living in other worlds to enjoy it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    I know theres workarounds but I have no words for how disappointed I am that they gave us a beach island destination perfect for vacations and didnt include the vacation part. I really hope they decide to stop being terrible and patch in the ability for us to put rental lots anywhere. Or make it up to us with a hotel/resort game pack. Because really now...

Another reason letting us have more free reign is maybe I want a BnB in Willowbrook or the new town in the magic pack
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited September 2019
    They don't really seem to want to do anything that connects packs together. Like some neighbourhoods could have lots that have water so if you have Island Living too you could build onto the water, etc.

I was actually a bit surprised about this with RoM, I remember seeing it at first and my mind went "huh, they could have done more with this, why isn't there a lot with water which I could use my IL stuff on?".

They just don't do things that connect overall, and through the whole span of the game. If I was doing Island Living I'd also want to touch up the other packs so if you have certain combinations, you could do more things in ALL the places.

Rentals is for sure another thing that would have made total sense on Sulani.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    My sim bought a property with nothing on it but a cash register, since that is a requirement.

As he earned more money I had him build it up to a nice vacation home and now he visits Sulani for a week.
    This will probably be my main use for Sulani. I don't want my sims to live there permanently.

That sounds like a fab way to do it. It would beat the cheating feeling I have if I just let my sims stay at a beach lot for free :D

I must admit, I have played sims living in Sulani and somehow it becomes less special. I think it would be nicer to do it your way and only have them buy retails as vacation homes to visit.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    edited September 2019
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    I placed a nice home that fit with the Island, labeled it generic and plan to take sims there to use it

I want to do this. It seems like my sims don't have enough time to do much when I send them for a few hours. If I bring the whole family, adults and toddlers, they can all sleep there, or do the toddlers need to be sent to daycare?
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited September 2019
    CK213 wrote: »

That sounds like a fab way to do it. It would beat the cheating feeling I have if I just let my sims stay at a beach lot for free :D

I must admit, I have played sims living in Sulani and somehow it becomes less special. I think it would be nicer to do it your way and only have them buy retails as vacation homes to visit.

Yes..I did this with my current family and it works out well. Tho I did also try out the destination mod for Sulani and thus far I’ve had no issues, works just like the other destination worlds. I may keep the mod because I’m not much for “playing” in Sulani, but I do like it as a vacation world for my sims. One of my newlyweds just had an amazing honeymoon there.

• SimmyKatSimmyKat Posts: 1 New Member
    Now in 2021, you can make any residential neighborhood have a rental lot on it. As long as you purchase the Mt. Komorebi neighborhood. Check it out! It’s pretty cool.