Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Realm of Magic Rating

Comments

• Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited September 2019
    I voted for 7. It's good enough for the game pack but I feel like some spells are half made. I wish there would be a separate spellcasting for cleaning entire house in one go like Genie in ts3. For Floralorial one, it works per one plant. My sims have level 9 at gardening skill. I use more 'tend garden' than 'floralorial'.
    Today, I saved my family into library and opened them in a new game. 2 of my sims are spellcasters but they lost whole spells and potion recipes all in the new game. Their levels and perks are still ok but they forgot every single spells and potion recipes, so my virtuoso wizards are newly learning from Sages again. I love Duplicato magic but I wish I can do that to other sims. It works only for the wizard or witch simself.
  • Options
    emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

As 10 is for Vampires and 9 for Strangerville, RoM is tided with Jungle Adventures with 8 <3
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited September 2019
    I am giving the pack a nine because I am having so much fun playing it. I love the design and atmosphere of the Magic Realm and Glimmerbrook. I adore the CAS items and the Build Buy catalogue, with all of its lovely art nouveau items and clutter. I also like the animations quite a bit and find them to be very well done. Even familiars are cute and novel. Finally, unlike some here, I really enjoy all the spells and potions. I think that they are well done in conception, execution and animation.

Personally I like that they don’t replace or nullify the effects or benefits of sims having to learn skills like cooking, handiness or gardening for themselves. My potion-brewing Sim is not that good at spell casting and can only conjure poor quality hot dogs and hamburgers with magic (despite her level 8 cooking ability); she often destroys unique potions and rare ingredients with failed copypasto spells, and she frequently loses duels. In contrast, my spell casting sim is bad at potions, has cursed himself a lot while making potions that blow up and knock him out, has nearly died twice by being overcharged, but is an excellent duellist and has powerful spells that rarely backfire. I like how you can customize magic sims in different ways and have different results.

I am surprised that some here have found it so easy to progress through magic levels because I did not find it easy or quick. My sims failed at magic a lot, became cursed, sometimes with hilarious results, had spells and potions backfire (again; hilariously), lost duels and were rather slow at progressing. Of course I deliberately had them learn spells in different ways — with only a few each from sages (once my sims were good friends with them)— such as by reading tomes, and duelling other spellcasters.

I still haven’t brewed all the potions with my potion brewer because of not finding some of the rare ingredients. The magic collection seems like it will be difficult to complete too. All of this has been enormously entertaining. I think that my spellcasters have supplanted my vampires as my new favourite occults.
    Post edited by simfriend1968 on
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    6/10...just...meh, not that great, but not horrible
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,087 Member
    7.9 average. Not bad at all. Especially after taking into account those low votes from simmers who haven't even played it yet.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    7.9 average. Not bad at all. Especially after taking into account those low votes from simmers who haven't even played it yet.

I know. I'm okay with it, the more the merrier, but sometimes I do wonder how you can rate something you've only ever heard other people's opinions about. It's like me giving bungee jumping a rating of 6 cause I heard someone else got nauseous during it even though I've never actually tried it myself xD But fine, I never set any rules for these threads cause I want everyone to be able to share their opinions, but I'm still glad that this pack's overall rating is pretty decent - cause I still think, about 31 hours into it, that it absolutely deserves it :D
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'm not going to vote until I play it. I bought it several days ago. Set my sim up in glimmerbrook, but haven't been back. That's just me and this game though. At some point I'll go to the portal and see what it's about.

I just have too much else to do irl and I just can't find the time to bother to fire this game up for a play session. lol. I should know better and to wait for a sale since I hardly play it. But nope. I want to set the world up. Set my sims up, and then I don't play until new content. Set that up and quit. Rinse. Repeat.

Sims was never like that for me before. I don't know why it is now.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I just wish there were more spells (especially ones like TS2), for the existing spells to do more (like zip zap could break electronics) and to be able to conjure magic with a book as well. 7.5/10
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,464 Member
    edited September 2019
    I picked 5 Ok. I'm not really into Magic but I do love the Glimmingbrook and the waterfalls. I also like the Realm World. Other things I like are the hairstyles and attractive townies.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I just wish there were more spells (especially ones like TS2), for the existing spells to do more (like zip zap could break electronics) and to be able to conjure magic with a book as well. 7.5/10

Zipzap does break electronics and plumbing as far as I know :) or was it only plumbing?
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,470 Member
    edited September 2019
    It has some elements I really like:
    - a properly developed lifestate with perks
    - a theme I wanted from the moment I installed sims 4
    - interesting spells and perks
    - all magic branches open to everyone, you don't have to choose one
    - customisation when it comes to wands, Brooms,...
    - two distinctly different neighbourhoods
    - a truly unique world, I never imagined the magic realm like this
    - gorgeous furniture (please add matching kitchen cabinets and a matching toddler bed, then it would be complete)
    - a detail but cooking off grid in a cauldron is a nice touch

The score could have been higher if it were not for the following:.
    - no cas or furniture for toddlers and children (very disappointed about this one)
    - no child activities or magic, why? Children can be magical too.
    - sloppy houses : the famous stair without doors, but also very sparse and bland base game furniture inside, floor plans that don't make sense. At least we can correct this one, but we shouldn't have to.
    - no interaction with familiars. Ok, we knew right from the start they were nothing more than glorified drones but an interaction like talking to them or feeding them/giving them a treat would have helped to at least pretend they are pets
    - 4 out of 5 small lots in Glimmerbrook with unnecessary driveways
    - no normal buildable lot in the magic realm. This surrounding is so unique, why not allow us to fully use it by living there or placing our own shop there. A lot in casters alley would be a good location for such a thing
    - a lot trait to allow magic lots in other worlds, by this I mean lots with people doing spontaneous magic and no negative reaction from non magic folk

As a conclusion, the positives outweigh the negatives. But there are too many negatives to be fully satisfied with this pack. Especially when so many of the negatives are small things which could have easily been avoided. The score could have been higher if things were thought through just a bit more.

• Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited September 2019
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    It's just the old features in a slightly new look, that's all. Lazy work.

some tea was spilled

y'all got bread?
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited September 2019
    real of magic was cool and everything but sadly doesnt offer difficulty and unpredictability and only made a lot of easy things way easier and im sick of it already. i think it deserves a 7 rating and that's it.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Zipzap does break electronics and plumbing as far as I know :) or was it only plumbing?

No, it breaks electronics as well. Comes in handy when my sim is at a bar and there's a song I like, but someone insists on watching the TV. xD
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,087 Member
    Stutum wrote: »

No, it breaks electronics as well. Comes in handy when my sim is at a bar and there's a song I like, but someone insists on watching the TV. xD

Too funny. 😅 I'll have to keep that in mind.
  • Options

Too funny. 😅 I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks. xD Keep in mind that it won't make your sim popular, though. :lol:
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    It's not terrible, but it could've been much better.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2019
    I forgot what rating I chose but after playing around with it I give it a 2.
    Its "okay" but truthfully it has nothing I wanted in a magic pack and it's hard to make it work for my personal play style so it's pretty useless for me. And I'm really disappointed in the world. It's not my dream secluded forest.
    And more frustrating, I'm probably the odd ball out but I do not like Harry Potter at all. And this so reminds me of it.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,496 Member

Omg. This is brilliant. I hate the TV requirement in bars and I'm usually locking them in an isolated basement or closet with no door...but this presents a much more satisfying opportunity... >:)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    I'm really enjoying it so far. They've done a great job with with this pack. The only problem is that is has a lot of bugs. I really think these are the best witches we've ever had in the game, much like sims 4 vampires.
  • Options
    JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    I like practically everything related to the gameplay (the focus of a game pack), but I think there are too few build and buy items. So 9.
  • Options
    coffeebean59coffeebean59 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Camkat said:
    > For just a game pack, I feel like it added enough game play with the whole magic system to be comparable to an actual expansion. The build/buy and CAS I also love (it's just my style) and I love occults in my game.
    >
    > It lost points because of the shoddy builds. The roof on the bar missed colour swatches, the house with no back door... they barely used any of the new items in the new builds! While the magic realm is beautiful, there's not really anything to do there other than shop. Everything else can be done anywhere else and there's no point to really going there? (Unless I'm missing something but I was able to get a fairly strong spellcaster within just 1 sim week and that was just practicing on her own home lot). Magic HQ is alright but it also feels kind of big and empty. :/

You say the magic realm is worthless other than for shopping. Does the bb.enablefreebuild cheat work on the lots there? That cheat usually unlocks lots, like in the alien world and Sylvan Glade. I'm considering buying it and I'd probably want to put at least a hotel or somewhere for them to stay. I might need to edit some things too, since one of my saves is based in medieval times. I have Ravendancer Goth in my game already. She's supposed to be a witch, so hopefully this game pack turns out to be ok.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    > @Camkat said:
    > For just a game pack, I feel like it added enough game play with the whole magic system to be comparable to an actual expansion. The build/buy and CAS I also love (it's just my style) and I love occults in my game.
    >
    > It lost points because of the shoddy builds. The roof on the bar missed colour swatches, the house with no back door... they barely used any of the new items in the new builds! While the magic realm is beautiful, there's not really anything to do there other than shop. Everything else can be done anywhere else and there's no point to really going there? (Unless I'm missing something but I was able to get a fairly strong spellcaster within just 1 sim week and that was just practicing on her own home lot). Magic HQ is alright but it also feels kind of big and empty. :/

You say the magic realm is worthless other than for shopping. Does the bb.enablefreebuild cheat work on the lots there? That cheat usually unlocks lots, like in the alien world and Sylvan Glade. I'm considering buying it and I'd probably want to put at least a hotel or somewhere for them to stay. I might need to edit some things too, since one of my saves is based in medieval times. I have Ravendancer Goth in my game already. She's supposed to be a witch, so hopefully this game pack turns out to be ok.

There is only one lot in the realm that you can edit via a cheat and it's the HQ mansion. The town can not be edited.
  • Options
    boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    They would have gotten a higher rating if there wasn't so many glitches, small lots, not enough hairstyles & no hats.
    However, I do like the game regardless.

I agree! How are you going to release a spell caster pack with no hats! I like the hairstyles but felt they could have made more of them. I'm disappointed with CAS and we didn't get lot traits. Don't get me wrong, I like the pack but I 100% think they could have done better.
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

Omg. This is brilliant. I hate the TV requirement in bars and I'm usually locking them in an isolated basement or closet with no door...but this presents a much more satisfying opportunity... >:)

Thanks. ^^ Yeah I dislike bar TVs in Sims as much as bar TVs in real life. I don't go out to watch TV, I can do that at home! xD It's quite satisfying to do, yes. ;)