Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    I'm up to 5 builds attempted, 5 destroyed...either too expensive, too ugly, too big or too small. I guess I'm sitting this one out.
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I'm up to 5 builds attempted, 5 destroyed...either too expensive, too ugly, too big or too small. I guess I'm sitting this one out.

I understand your pain. This one took me a few attempts. I would say walk away from it for a little bit then come back in a few days and see how you feel. Good luck!
    suRdkSd.jpg
    swcheppes wrote: »

I understand your pain. This one took me a few attempts. I would say walk away from it for a little bit then come back in a few days and see how you feel. Good luck!

Thanks.....I downloaded a house plan that I liked the look of and I'm going to recreate it!

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited June 2019
    This is my first story to be used, and I excited to see that people are inspired by it. A tight budget can be a drag, but stick with it! I can't play right now as my computer will no longer turn on (on an old laptop with no graphics card right now), but I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

@swcheppes: I love your build! I am shocked at all that you fit in it! Great job!

**some tips that may help**
    -Think tiny spaces with cheap posters on the walls to make it lived in.
    -Use as many debug items as possible, especially for clutter!
    -If you start with expensive items, try replacing them with the cheapest model of the item to save money.
    -If a room or the house ends up too big, go into build mode and grab walls to pull them in and make smaller rooms. This saves money as well. Don't forget to change the roof!
    -Less walls means more money to spend on household items, so an open concept house may be a good idea.
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    edited June 2019
    iampes23 wrote: »
    This is my first story to be used, and I excited to see that people are inspired by it. A tight budget can be a drag, but stick with it! I can't play right now as my computer will no longer turn on (on an old laptop with no graphics card right now), but I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

@swcheppes: I love your build! I am shocked at all that you fit in it! Great job!

**some tips that may help**
    -Think tiny spaces with cheap posters on the walls to make it lived in.
    -Use as many debug items as possible, especially for clutter!
    -If you start with expensive items, try replacing them with the cheapest model of the item to save money.
    -If a room or the house ends up too big, go into build mode and grab walls to pull them in and make smaller rooms. This saves money as well. Don't forget to change the roof!
    -Less walls means more money to spend on household items, so an open concept house may be a good idea.

Thanks! I kind of shocked myself :)

Another tip buy the essentials first like toilets, showers, appliances and beds. They are usually the more expensive items and it's good to not have to worry about affording them at the end.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    I've actually done some resizing and rearranging of rooms on mine. Working on getting the basics in, so the only artwork are some wall decorations I knew I wanted. Now if I could just remember what the one shelf with award statues on it was called...
    image.png
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    @SimTresa Is it Shelf of Champions? Be warned, though, it's $820!
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    iampes23 wrote: »

I tried it that on 4 of my 5 builds...but you can't have open concept bathrooms or bedrooms ... 4 bedrooms plus 2 bathrooms is a lot ... *sigh*...hoping this new floor plan I downloaded works....I really want to do this challenge.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • XenamiXenami Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2019
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #121 - Breaking Out of the Box

FORUM ID: Xenami
    ORIGIN ID: Xenami
    LEVEL: Established

SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Civic Cliffs
    NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/AEE4C9888BF511E9802214AEEA156117?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=xenami&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: $2,000
    GALLERY COST: $57,969
    TOTAL COST: $59,969
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/gallery/V01rKu5
    ENTRY DETAILS: The down on their luck family will be moving into a modern new home that provides everyone with ample space. (FYI, I discovered only after I had finished the build--and was attempting to playtest--that bunks/loft beds no longer seem to work. I Googled around, and this seems to be a thing since the patch in November 2018?? I haven't played in a while and was not aware of this, but I didn't want to change my whole room around for the sake of playability in this case.) ALSO...Bernardo's portion of the room in the final picture on Imgur is slightly different than the top down view. I swapped out the pool ladders for wall shelves and added a guardrail. I just didn't go through and get new top down pics.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

sAlkdzh.png

0e1KWAo.png
    @Swcheppes I thought your box idea in the backyard with Bernardo was brilliant :)
    Allears wrote: »

Oh, no, I didn't realize! Guess I won't use it then unless I have 820 simoleons to spare.
    image.png
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »

Oh, no, I didn't realize! Guess I won't use it then unless I have 820 simoleons to spare.

Maybe use MOO and nudge to put a cheap trophy on a cheap shelf? There might also be comparable debug items - I dug through them for a few additional touches to my lot.
    SimTresa wrote: »

Maybe use MOO and nudge to put a cheap trophy on a cheap shelf? There might also be comparable debug items - I dug through them for a few additional touches to my lot.

Good idea. I forget about debug.
    image.png
  • DevilariahDevilariah Posts: 124 Member
    Also instead of ceiling lights (unless u use lights as decoration of course :P) just use Debug invisible lights :D
    It was soooooo nice when i found out you could do that, since they are free :P
    I usually start out with putting at least 3 (ussualy even more lol) of those ceiling spot lights in (150 a piece i believe?).
    At the end, when i put in most of the decorations, i just replace them with the Debug lights and have about 450 simoleons per room extra for deco and/or stuff i scrapped before :)

Maybe it's silly, but it helps me lol
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    Thank you @BuildnShare .

My Xena Ville from BnS116 has gotten a Maxis Fave !

Thank you,
    Diane Pinkus

Xena Ville
  • TinkPlaysTinkPlays Posts: 80 Member
    edited June 2019
    FORUM ID: TinkPlays
    ORIGIN ID: TinkMagoo
    LEVEL: Established
    SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Dachshund's Creek
    LOT COST: 2,000
    GALLERY COST: 52,601
    TOTAL COST: 54,601
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/ILSMe6Q
    ENTRY DETAILS: We decided to make the families new house as stylish and comfy as we could giving them all their own space to relax after their run of bad luck.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None used
    TUMBLR LINK: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tink-plays
    HzV8lPQ.png
    RItQFWh.png
    Post edited by TinkPlays on
  • Valuzza90Valuzza90 Posts: 208 Member
    @BuildnShare Is it possible to use a open plan that includes the eat-in kitchen and the family room?
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Xenami and TinkPlays: awesome houses! I am sure the family will be happy in either of those!

@Valuzza90: The floor plan is up to you, just remember the requirements of the house. Then have fun with it! You just have to have spaces for the eat-in kitchen and family rooms, not that they necessarily have to be separated by a wall.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Valuzza90 wrote: »
    @BuildnShare Is it possible to use a open plan that includes the eat-in kitchen and the family room?

Absolutely! As iampes23 stated above - as long as you have the required spaces, the floor plan is completely up to you on this one.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Thank you @BuildnShare .

My Xena Ville from BnS116 has gotten a Maxis Fave !

Thank you,
    Diane Pinkus

Xena Ville

Awesome!!! Congrats @Pinkusfamily <3
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • KitelDesignsKitelDesigns Posts: 147 Member
    edited June 2019
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: KitelDesigns
    ORIGIN ID: Kiteldesigns
    LEVEL: Beginner

SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Dachshund Creek
    NEW LOT LINK: Using CC, unable to provide
    LOT COST: $2,000
    GALLERY COST: $57,983
    TOTAL COST: $59,983
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/LqQSTSA
    ENTRY DETAILS: A smartly engineered home. I designed this as if the first 30G was donated money, and the other 30G was from items donated by the community. The solar panels donated by the Energy company. The garden plot put together by the local gardening club. Counters and fridge donate by a restaurant supply company. Books and toys donate by town members, etc.

This home has the solar panels to reduce electric bill costs, Rain Tank to help with the Garden plot and to lower water costs. Fire places to reduce heating costs. Garden plot to supplement food stores. Although there still needs to be some homey touches needed, it is a lovely home for the group of 7

The Main living area is on the 2nd floor, to take advantage of the natural light from the many Windows. Kids can do their homework at the dining table, or at the computer desk. A toy box for the kids to play as well. Mom can watch from the living room, or while cooking. The bedrooms are on the first floor.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: http://sims4downloads.net/simista-rainwater-tank-2/ , http://simista.blogspot.com/2016/02/domestic-solar-panel.html

iXLPZdV.png
    mfAkKPo.png
    Post edited by KitelDesigns on
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    edited June 2019
    Congrats @Pinkusfamily on your Maxis Fav! Well done! :) I just this morning got a Maxis Fav for my daycare center challenge that we did in January!! I didn't know they went back and looked at older entries, but I'm certainly glad for both of us that they do that!! :)
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    @KitelDesigns, I think you may have created a hyperlink for my slide show rather than yours on accident. I wanted to look at some pics of your sweet house but wasn't able to!
    @Xenami I apologize for the mistake. I have updated this.
    I have run into an issue where my build is not saving to the Gallery. Is it because it has custom content/mods?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top