Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• DevilariahDevilariah Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2019
    SIM ENTRY FORM.
    CHALLENGE #120 - There's Some History There.

FORUM ID: Devilariah
    ORIGIN ID: Devilariah
    LEVEL: Established.
    HOUSEHOLD: https://www.ea.com/nl-nl/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/9DEEFAE987B511E98B56731B54F2D907?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=Devilariah&max=50&maxis=false
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/obh3j18
    ENTRY DETAILS: Professor Webb =) This was guy was the first thing that popped up in my mind when i read the challenge.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Please 🙂
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None.
    TWITTER TAG: https://twitter.com/Devilariah
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: https://www.facebook.com/Devilaraih
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    Tb8J599.png
    4pMPtlT.png
    Post edited by Devilariah on
  • XenamiXenami Posts: 160 Member
    FORUM ID: Xenami
    ORIGIN ID: Xenami
    LEVEL: New to this thread! I have been building for a while.

SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Presently unable to figure out the name. It is in Selvadorada, 40x20 lot up on the hill on the left side of the map.
    NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/3B4C091487F911E98178DC7660F45D45?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=xenami&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: Unknown (built in Selvadorada). Will assume $2500 to match Newcrest 40x20 lot cost.
    GALLERY COST: $126,408
    TOTAL COST: $128,908
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/qZeZS56
    ENTRY DETAILS: The professor has found the lost city of Atlantis! (I massively ran out of budget to do anything more interesting with the interior than a throne room. I'm also super out of practice with interiors/have always been weak with them.)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

eRfOysn.jpg

CTMH9Um.jpg
  • DevilariahDevilariah Posts: 124 Member
    BUILD ENTRY FORM.
    CHALLENGE #120 - There's Some History There.

FORUM ID: Devilariah
    ORIGIN ID: Devilariah
    LEVEL: Established.
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/nl-nl/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/45655E86880A11E98A87DC7660F45D45?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=Devilariah&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 600.
    LOT NAME: Selvadorada: Jungle Bungalow.
    GALLERY COST: 108896.
    TOTAL COST:109496.
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/wvlmFOL
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Aztecs we're a Mesoamerican culture from Mexico, from 1300 to 1521. Here is a digsite of an Aztec Temple where the Aztec sims worshipped the Freezer Bunny god. The temple was unearthed due to droughts and has been dug out. Unfortunately it was discovered 3/4 of the temple had collapsed and was filled up with stone and soil. However 1/4 of the temple remained relatively intact and even still has some treasures within. Also many offerings were found that the Aztec sims offered to their Freezer Bunny god.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Please 🙂
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None.
    TWITTER TAG: https://twitter.com/Devilariah
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: https://www.facebook.com/Devilaraih
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    bUfpu3P.png
    OmIGtJh.png

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    EVxjqb3.png
    Attention MASTER Entrants for #BnS119 - For The Old Gold & Green

Your results are now available HERE

3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
    mannanna wrote: »
    SheriGR wrote: »
    @mannanna I test by placing many times over as part of my play-testing process when I build. I was referring to wall photos that i downloaded from the gallery - $10 each, normally, plus live plants from my gallery. But... I would doubt that all of those things together they would have added up to a $438 value unless played, so there's that.

Yes, I place many times over too and that's how I noticed this. The price change can be partly because of plants and pictures. But it also depreciates ...
    So ... if you start building with a Sim on the lot and only check the price as you go doing what @BuildnShare suggested you'd get a lot more money to work with. ( Even not ever entering play mode ) and that is what I am trying to get across.

Thanks for your information, @mannanna ! We're going to continue to test to this to see if we can pinpoint and duplicate the issue then adjust the rules as necessary. In the limited testing I've done so far (building with no sim on the lot), there has been no change between the gallery save cost and placing the saved lot from the gallery in my game. I tested without wall photos or live plants and with adding a sim only for playtesting at the end of the build.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • DesignasimDesignasim Posts: 87 Member
    edited June 2019
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #120 - There's Some History There
    FORUM ID: Designasim
    ORIGIN ID: Designasim
    LEVEL: Starting Out
    HOUSEHOLD: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/2709CA34880A11E98ABA731B54F2D907?category=households&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=designasim&max=50&maxis=false
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW:https://imgur.com/a/BFIBv5n
    ENTRY DETAILS: Just a quick one I made up, the pictures didn't turn out so good (maybe game camera settings) and this description is terrible I forgot to upload him and doing it last min that's why he isn't happy. (what a surprise lol) (maybe game camera settings) He's in the mid 50's. I went for a premade outfit but thats because it has a canvas jacket with lots of pockets and large pant pockets with is great for an archaeologist, leather boots. Because he can't pack much when he's out in a dig he has a fun formal look to spice up his look. His athlete clothes are just a plain shirt and sweatpants that he can wear with other outfits and his sneakers his only pair to save space in this suitcase. He has a robe for warm climates and can wear the shirt and sweats if it's colder to bed, slippers are a most to go to the bathroom at night when sleeping in a tent so you don't have to put on shoes. His party look is on the plain side and once again can be used in other looks. Hot weather look is rolled up pants (can be rolled down to avoid scraps and stuff at the digs) a t-shirt with a bottom up over it encase it gets cool at night, scarf for sand and a hat for sun protection. Cold weather is a traditional professor look that he would wear in the classroom.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

cUfheFg.png
    jmVsen8.png
  • KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    edited June 2019
    @Xenami this thread will be able to help you figure up the lot name, its a great one to bookmark for occasions such as this :)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/926082/qc-town-maps-sims-4/p1
    edited June 2019
    5nd1sli.png
    #BnS120 There's Some History There is closed!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    mZ2UaUC.png

While you are checking out at the grocery store, a young boy and girl come in and ask the cashier if she has any boxes for them. The cashier assures them that she does and will have them brought to the front as soon as she finishes checking out the short line of customers. You wonder what kind of school project they are doing as you walk out to the parking lot and put your groceries in the car. You push your empty cart back into the store as the children come out, struggling to carry four large, flattened cardboard boxes.
    "I hope Daddy will be able to make us a bedroom with these boxes!" the girl says excitedly as the boxes slip in her hands.
    "Hold them tighter," the little boy commands as he stops and waits for her to get a better grip on the cardboard.
    Curious as to the actual use of the boxes now, you offer to help the children carry them. They agree. You grab one end of the flattened boxes, and the children each grab a corner on the other end. A short walk down the road and into an alley later, and an extremely unique sight greets you. It is a series of large cardboard boxes made into a sort of house with what looks like multiple rooms.
    "That is our castle," the little boy says, pointing to the cardboard structure. "Daddy keeps adding rooms as we get more boxes."
    "Daddy is very handy," the little girl adds seriously.
    A woman's voice calls out, "Amada! Bernardo! Is that you?" The woman emerges from the huge set of multi-sized boxes, carrying a baby and leading a toddler. She freezes when she sees you.
    You introduce yourself and explain that you are just helping the children carry the large boxes. Then you casually ask, "Do you live in these boxes? They are definitely well put together! Is that wax on the top?" You are seeing gobs of white, drippy stuff all over the tops of the boxes, and some of it is dried along the seams.
    The woman thaws a little and says, "Yes, wax. We melt candles to make the house more water prof from the rain. It is my husband Domingo's idea."
    "Genius!" you exclaim and are rewarded with a slight smile.
    The kids beg to show you the inside, and you agree that you would like to see it. Reluctantly, the woman agrees and leads the way inside. Her children follow her, and you bring up the rear.
    The first room is about four feet tall and six feet long by five feet wide. You notice odd pieces of wood taped to the "seams" in the boxes to help hold them upright. There are magazine pictures taped to the walls to make the interior more homey. A shabby rug covers a large section of the floor.
    "This is our living room," Amada says shyly. "We sleep back there and our parents sleep in here."
    "Come and see," says Bernardo. All three of you pass through what could be called a hallway. A small room on the left has a ten-gallon paint bucket with a cover on it, and you pause to look at it.
    Amada sees you looking and says one word. "Toilet."
    "Ahh!" you say. Interesting indoor plumbing you think as you continue on to the room at the end. A little smaller than the living room, this room has sleeping bags covering the floor.
    "We will be able to build another bedroom as soon as Daddy gets enough boxes," Bernardo explains. "Then things will not be so cramped." Amada nods.
    "How long have you been living here?" you ask quietly.
    Bernardo looks at his hands. Finally Amada speaks. "Nearly two months. Daddy lost his job. He sold the car, but we still could not pay rent the next month. They kicked us out."
    "But Daddy does odd jobs whenever he can. The guy that owns the restaurant here let's us stay in his alley and use the hose for water," Bernardo adds defensively. "And our older sister Emelda works part time at a fast food restaurant. She brings us food at night that they think she has thrown out. Sometimes she picks up a few side jobs, too."
    "So, five children and two parents..." you say, thinking aloud. The children nod in agreement.
    Taking a last look around and leaving with words of encouragement to the family and a $50 donation for their needs, you venture out into the dusk. You slowly walk back to your car, vowing silently to help this family as much as you can.
    The next day you send an employee over to collect the father and oldest daughter for full-time jobs with good pay and benefits. You set them to work at your newest construction site, building their very own new home ( without telling them, of course).

The Brief:
    • You chip in §30,000 of your own money and manage to raise another §30,000 from generous community members for a total budget of §60,000.
    • Use a 30x20 or 30x40 lot. The cost of the lot comes out of your §60,000 budget.
    • Design a 4 bedroom/2 bath home for the destitute family.
    • The toddler and baby will share a room. You can either have the two girls or Amada and Bernado sharing a room as well.
    • Include laundry, an eat-in kitchen, a family room, and an outdoor play area for the kids.

Room Challenge:
    Create a bedroom room with two children sharing the space. The budget is $10,000.

Sims Challenge:
    Create the family of seven. Include likes, skills, and clothing choices.

Please use the whole of hashtag #BnS121 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be judged.
    The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday 19th June 2019 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    I think.my building muse came back! 😀
    image.png
    HVCdrRO.png
    Attention ESTABLISHED Entrants for #BnS119 - For The Old Gold & Green

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »
    I think.my building muse came back! 😀

Oh, geeze, yeah - same here. I gave up on the last one early on, but I started getting ideas before I finished reading the write-up on this one. <3
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Thanks for your information, @mannanna ! We're going to continue to test to this to see if we can pinpoint and duplicate the issue then adjust the rules as necessary. In the limited testing I've done so far (building with no sim on the lot), there has been no change between the gallery save cost and placing the saved lot from the gallery in my game. I tested without wall photos or live plants and with adding a sim only for playtesting at the end of the build.

@BuildnShare I appreciate you taking some interest in what I have noticed, however I think testing in a different manner than I suggested seems a bit irrelevant.

• XenamiXenami Posts: 160 Member
    Thanks @Kementari! I knew that info was somewhere on the forums, but I have not played in a while and didn’t want to go searching for the info while I was under pressure to get my build turned in on time :#
  • CJSimmieCJSimmie Posts: 310 Member
    I'm super excited for this challenge! Amada & Bernado are so sweet❤️
  • Valuzza90Valuzza90 Posts: 208 Member
    Awesome building @4Sanne!
    The ruins of Abraja remind me of the archaeological remains in my Mediterranean town <3
    Beautiful building @Xenami! The waterfall is gorgeous!
    @Devilariah your building is a magnificent big archaeological excavation!
    Interesting new challenge @BuildnShare!
    Regarding the recent depreciation discussion...

In the two provided example lots (Mannanna's Auburn and SheriGR's Stay at Home Mom), we were able to pinpoint that the difference in cost that was pointed out is due to the inclusion of harvestables and custom photos/paintings by the lot builders. These objects are not registering in the Gallery cost but are registering in the Map View cost. When all harvestables and custom photos/paintings are removed from these two lots, the Map View cost is equal to the Gallery+Lot cost.

Since these items are accessible to every builder either through the normal in-game mechanics or via the Gallery, we have decided to treat these objects as allowable in-game "cheats" or bonuses similar to MOO and the Debug catalog. You can use these items (whether created by you or downloaded from the gallery) freely and without fear of penalty :) The rules have been updated to reflect our stance on this.

Enjoy, and happy simming!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • KitelDesignsKitelDesigns Posts: 147 Member
    question: How do you make an infant in the Create a sim section? the lowest i can get is Toddler
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    question: How do you make an infant in the Create a sim section? the lowest i can get is Toddler

No way I know of. You'll have to have the parents woohoo in game and play through until it's born.
    image.png
    HVCdrRO.png
    Attention ESTABLISHED Entrants for #BnS120 - There's Some History There

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Regarding the recent depreciation discussion...

Thank you!!!! :)

• swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    edited June 2019
    FORUM ID:Swcheppes
    ORIGIN ID:Swcheppes
    LEVEL: Established
    SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Civic Cliffs
    NEW LOT LINK: Full House
    LOT COST: 2,000
    GALLERY COST: 57,960
    TOTAL COST: 59,960
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Full House
    ENTRY DETAILS: Full House is just as it sounds, a house made for a deserving family who can form their own basketball team. Originally the plan was for a 4 bedroom and 2 bath home. However this family has been cramped for too long. This home has a bedroom for everyone, no need to share. And I threw in an extra bathroom to help their sanity. This home hosts an open concept floorplan. The nice size family room is perfect to watch a nice wholesome Disney movie or maybe a family game night. It's not easy for a family of seven to all sit down and eat dinner together. This is not a problem for this home, with a table large enough to fit everyone and a few extra spots on the island for guests. There are a lot of stinky socks in a family of seven, luckily this home includes a laundry area. Who will do the laundry is a whole other story.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NA
    TWITTER TAG: NA
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: NA
    TUMBLR LINK: NA
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    j6NB34W.png
    VWOKd2c.png
    Post edited by swcheppes on
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    I am struggling with this challenge big time. I have tried and scrapped 3 different builds in trying to fulfill all the requirements for this challenge and come in within budget. I know I'm a beginner but frankly, I'm just stumped. I see other people doing it and I just can't reconcile my creativity with this challenge....I think I might have to pass on this one too. *sigh*
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top