Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anything I've Missed?

KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
Sul sul! I installed the Ultimate Collection on my Windows 10 laptop today and after a lot of trial and error, I have it working smoothly. I also removed the preexisting hoods and replaced them with clean versions and installed a bunch of Pescado's mods to prevent corruption (namely FFS Lot Debugger, nounlinkondelete, creaturefix and nocorruptdeath). I need to grab a camera mod because the UI in CAS covers half of my sims's face (probably a result of me having a big screen), but apart from that, everything seems to be in order.

My question is, is there anything else I should install to prevent corruption and/or make sure the game's running optimally? I changed the .object files to read only as well and I know the do's and don'ts. I also downloaded Mootilda's Hood Checker, Clean Installer and SimPE.
Bring back the Paranormal career already.

Comments

• dezoutlouddezoutloud Posts: 35 Member
    I'm in the same boat, I'm not sure if there is anything else you can do. It seems like the game is doomed for corruption no matter what, but I've never seen it myself.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    As long as you have those mods and avoid the things on the list of things that cause corruption you should be good for anything but random corruption which is not often.

Mostly, just play your game and have fun.

If you realize after the fact that you messed up and did something that corrupted the neighborhood, don't panic or worry too much. If you've got a recent back up that would be before you messed up, I would swap out. Otherwise just play as normal and take frequent back ups.

Neighborhood corruption takes time to spread and you could have corruption that slowly spreads and you'd end up bored of the neighborhood before any game breaking effects show up. And you can probably go back to a back up and continue play and be able to go farther before it shows up again.

There are people who have done things that cause corruption and have regularly played the neighborhood for 10 years since. And I went about a year or so of regular play - I did a lot of things that cause corruption in the neighborhood. On average, it's probably somewhere in between.
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    As long as you have those mods and avoid the things on the list of things that cause corruption you should be good for anything but random corruption which is not often.

Mostly, just play your game and have fun.

If you realize after the fact that you messed up and did something that corrupted the neighborhood, don't panic or worry too much. If you've got a recent back up that would be before you messed up, I would swap out. Otherwise just play as normal and take frequent back ups.

Neighborhood corruption takes time to spread and you could have corruption that slowly spreads and you'd end up bored of the neighborhood before any game breaking effects show up. And you can probably go back to a back up and continue play and be able to go farther before it shows up again.

There are people who have done things that cause corruption and have regularly played the neighborhood for 10 years since. And I went about a year or so of regular play - I did a lot of things that cause corruption in the neighborhood. On average, it's probably somewhere in between.

That's a really good point, actually. Thank you for your level-headed perspective. Among all of this, it can sometimes be easy to forget the most important thing of all: have fun!

I have been playing over the past couple of weeks and I haven't done any of the no-no's or seen anything amiss so I'm just going to continue having fun. I've been using the clean hood templates so it'll be easy to swap them out anyway should I get neighbourhood corruption. I probably won't, though, I know what to avoid.
  • FearlessButterflyFearlessButterfly Posts: 336 Member
    You do also need Boiling Oil's No sim loaded mod and Cyjon's Smarter EP Check. NSL will prevent you from getting the Super Duper Hug Bug which you can mainly get from downloading houses or it suppresses it if you already have it.
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've played this game for the past 15 years and I've never noticed any big game breaking corruption. I'm not sure if it happens so often that everyone is making out.
    I don't know if this is just scaremongering and making people too scared to do anything in the Sims 2. As long as you follow this guide https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption you should be fine.
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    You do also need Boiling Oil's No sim loaded mod and Cyjon's Smarter EP Check. NSL will prevent you from getting the Super Duper Hug Bug which you can mainly get from downloading houses or it suppresses it if you already have it.

Thank you, good call!
    I've played this game for the past 15 years and I've never noticed any big game breaking corruption. I'm not sure if it happens so often that everyone is making out.
    I don't know if this is just scaremongering and making people too scared to do anything in the Sims 2. As long as you follow this guide https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption you should be fine.

I've been playing for as long and I personally haven't noticed anything either. However, I spend a lot of time building my own neighbourhoods and doing long legacies so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't think it's scaremongering, just precautionary for people who spend a long time on their games.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Note, if you removed the base game hoods from the game, when you create a custom hood they will become the same number as the original Maxis hoods and can easily be wiped out or overwritten by mistake.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.