Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

they should add back open world

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited June 2019
    The OP knows the reasons this can't ever be added to this version. [Edited by EA_Mai]
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • Options
    SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    i dont know i feel like open world was unique to sims 3 and shouldnt be compared to sims 4 as much. i guess because they approached sims 4 differently. dont get me wrong I adored open world and I would just switch out from normal gameplay to open world just purely for that function even if I didnt need to go anywhere with my sims. its now nice to look back and reminisce.
  • Options
    Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    I feel like it has the potential to make the game slow and buggy. So, as much as I miss the open world, I can do without it.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited June 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't see us ever having open worlds (or neighborhoods) again. The game is becoming more technical and higher graphics and if they want the average player to play the next versions, they have to keep them playable on lower end computers. Not everyone can buy a new computer just to play the new version of the Sims. Therefore, loading screens are the future unless we want lag and freezing to become the way we play our games.

I don't think they should cater to people with weak computers anymore. And people really shouldn't rely on them doing so, because The Sims 5 just might be super advanced. And besides, video games are about technological advances. Companies should be trying to push the envelop. Not limit a game titles potential because some people can't afford to be gaming in the first place. The backlash from sims 4 not being open world, is likely enough to bring it back also. It would really hurt Sims 5's longevity and sales if they dont @Dannydanbo
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    @EnjoyfulSimmer A company that fails to realize it's customer base is destined to fail. One day, you may be the customer with the slower computer.
  • Options
    The fans who really love and must have the sims will do what they must to continue to play. They won't fail. There are a lot of dedicated simmers. And no, that would never be me from here on out. Im to a level of financial health where that wont be possible.

Im not sure why you think Open world = game failing either, since there is no fact on which to base that off of. We had open world before and can do it again. I firmly believe the potential of this franchise should not go unrealized because of people with weaker computers. Gaming is expensive and maybe those other players could take some time away to save up and make some changes to where they can afford gaming and the system requirements that go along WITH that. Instead of asking game companies to limit the capabilities of a game that actually needs to be changed and stay innovative to be interesting! @Dannydanbo

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited June 2019
    I agree with @Dannydanbo. It's not about asking gaming companies to limit the capabilities of the game, its the gaming companies wanting to appeal to a broader audience. Yes, gaming is expensive. So, on a business point of view, should a company accept that and loose customers, meaning loosing millions of dollars, or should they try to appeal to a broader audience? Remember, while some complain about the lack of some features, thousands of thousands of others keep and start playing the game every day.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The OP knows the reasons this can't ever be added to this version. They, IMO, just want to argue.

I think that's a drastic accusation. The OP could have very well not known better or is talking in reference to The Sims 5.

I'd very much like an open world back, too. I think, with proper optimization, it could be an amazing thing for the series to have again.
  • Options
    Again, Sims 3 sold very well, with open world. And so would sims 5 @telmarina
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Again, Sims 3 sold very well, with open world. And so would sims 5 @telmarina

Do you have numbers? I'm asking cause I really don't know what iteration sold better.
    Maybe their plan didn't work out. But I understand their move.
    Meanwhile about 5 nobody knows. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    Sims 3's open world is why Sims 4 is closed. All the lagging made it hard to play much less enjoy at times.

Even if they could open each individual world in S4, there would still need to be a loading screen for another world to be played. There is no way that all the worlds (keeping in mind that they are adding more and more) could all be one huge open game. So, if one loading screen to open a different world (like traveling from Willow Creek to Brindleton Bay) is okay, why not leave the worlds as they are because all you need is one loading screen as it stands today.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

And you're going to have to keep saying it because people don't seem to grasp the idea of "It ain't ever gonna happen in S4".

not everybody uses twitter, not all simmers would of read this!!!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I've got fond of those little closes/cul-de-sacs in Willow Creek and the houses all grouped together so that you can look at neighbour's houses over the road. I can make them into my UK suburbs very easily, putting a church at the end of the road and with the added advantage of choosing families to move into the immediate neighbourhood once one family is moved in.

It relates more to the country I live in and the wide open worlds of Sims 3 though interesting at the time but were foreign to me and I spent more time just filling lots, building houses and sticking teleports than I spent time playing the game. I did enjoy that while it lasted and spent hundreds on the store but just like Sims 4 worlds better.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    You can't just add open world - the game has to be built from ground up in the game engine and base game to be open world. It is not something that can be added like a pack. It's a whole different dynamics and design.

I wish it was so easy as people seem to think it is - lol.

It could be done but they'd literally have to rebuild everything including the game engine to achieve that. EA - the company would probably never allow Maxis that much time and expense - never mind making us all start over - just to open the world. You also cannot just have a partly open world either - it is all or nothing. Even paint - design - everything about the game would have to be redone in order to achieve that. But open world is done when they first start building the game engine - then they use the software for that kind of design when they build the base game next - it is the design then used in every pack there after and carries over.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

And you're going to have to keep saying it because people don't seem to grasp the idea of "It ain't ever gonna happen in S4".

They can always try looking it up on why this feature is not possible in TS4.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    MMX wrote: »

It is not a feature if not in the game engine. Devs built the game and worked with the engineers building the game engine, they know what is in it and what is not. You cannot just make any game engine an open world, or at least very easily and definitely not quickly. It'd take years and an overhaul as well as different choices of lots of the software used. But It's very different programming and software for one thing and it has very different requirement than the Smart technology engine Sims 4 uses.

Believe me - building a game - no matter what the design is not easy and you definitely cannot just chnge it up to what ever you want it to be. Building the game engine and the base game takes at least 4-5 years or longer - it's not an easy task - and never mind changing it in mid stride. Never works well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited June 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

It is not a feature if not in the game engine. Devs built the game and worked with the engineers building the game engine, they know what is in it and what is not. You cannot just make any game engine an open world, or at least very easily and definitely not quickly. It'd take years and an overhaul as well as different choices of lots of the software used. But It's very different programming and software for one thing and it has very different requirement than the Smart technology engine Sims 4 uses.

Believe me - building a game - no matter what the design is not easy and you definitely cannot just chnge it up to what ever you want it to be. Building the game engine and the base game takes at least 4-5 years or longer - it's not an easy task - and never mind changing it in mid stride. Never works well.
    I believe you've mistaken me. I never suggested that creating an open world engine was an easy task, nor do I agree that implementing this in TS4 is a must. All I said is if anyone is curious on why this feature or whatever it is not in TS4, they can look it up online.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I believe you've mistaken me. I never suggested that creating an open world engine was an easy task, nor do I agree that implementing this in TS4 is a must. All I said is if anyone is curious on why this feature or whatever it is not in TS4, they can look it up online.

Well there is not a whole lot of info on this particular game engine so you will be pretty hard pressed to find many answers. Smart technology game engine is very, very different than most of the game engines at least I am familiar with. I have read what little was found but it is seriously limited online. I got more info from actually going to a place where developers gather and talk but seeing I am not a developer could not ask anything - could only read what was written and not much was there on this engine.

This is the only post I have seen to explain this type of engine at all online and it was from Popular Mechanics of all places - https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/a10698/inside-the-mind-of-the-sims-4-16906802/

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Briah42Briah42 Posts: 35 Member
    > @andreasaspenberg said:
    > that was the one function that made the sims 3 better than the sims 4 and as long as it is absent, the sims 3 is better.

I really do miss that, I also liked how you could customize colors of pretty much any object you bought. But I do love the graphics and objects Sims 4 has to offer!
  • Options
    > @Seera1024 said:
    > andreasaspenberg wrote: »
    >
    > not really. the sims 4 is still in development.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And some things are just way too costly and way too likely to break everything to be done once a game launches.
    >
    > It's too late in the game for that level of code change. That's the code you only change before you launch the game at all. So that when everything breaks, you can delay the launch without leaving players with a content drought for several months while you work on fixing everything.
    >
    > You're better off asking for Sims 5 to be open world. It's not too late for Sims 5.

Do you guys think there will be a Sims 5, or do you think EA is going to stick with Sims 4 and just keep updating and working on it? I don't know very much about programming and generating games and their codes, but doesn't the Sims 4 get updates through Origin? Could it be possible for them to just stick with Sims 4 then creating a whole new Sims?
  • Options
    Briah42 wrote: »
    > @Seera1024 said:
    > andreasaspenberg wrote: »
    >
    > not really. the sims 4 is still in development.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And some things are just way too costly and way too likely to break everything to be done once a game launches.
    >
    > It's too late in the game for that level of code change. That's the code you only change before you launch the game at all. So that when everything breaks, you can delay the launch without leaving players with a content drought for several months while you work on fixing everything.
    >
    > You're better off asking for Sims 5 to be open world. It's not too late for Sims 5.

Do you guys think there will be a Sims 5, or do you think EA is going to stick with Sims 4 and just keep updating and working on it? I don't know very much about programming and generating games and their codes, but doesn't the Sims 4 get updates through Origin? Could it be possible for them to just stick with Sims 4 then creating a whole new Sims?

Technology could eventually make it necessary to have a new game. Especially seeing EA has been hard at work on their Atlas Project SEED program which they call the wave of the future. So yeah - as popular as the Sims games are and being a EA owned Franchise - The Sims 5 will eventually come at least in the Atlas Project.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Briah42 wrote: »
    >
    > > @Seera1024 said:
    > > andreasaspenberg wrote: »
    > >
    > > not really. the sims 4 is still in development.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > And some things are just way too costly and way too likely to break everything to be done once a game launches.
    > >
    > > It's too late in the game for that level of code change. That's the code you only change before you launch the game at all. So that when everything breaks, you can delay the launch without leaving players with a content drought for several months while you work on fixing everything.
    > >
    > > You're better off asking for Sims 5 to be open world. It's not too late for Sims 5.
    >
    > Do you guys think there will be a Sims 5, or do you think EA is going to stick with Sims 4 and just keep updating and working on it? I don't know very much about programming and generating games and their codes, but doesn't the Sims 4 get updates through Origin? Could it be possible for them to just stick with Sims 4 then creating a whole new Sims?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Technology could eventually make it necessary to have a new game. Especially seeing EA has been hard at work on their Atlas Project SEED program which they call the wave of the future. So yeah - as popular as the Sims games are and being a EA owned Franchise - The Sims 5 will eventually come at least in the Atlas Project.

Oh wow @Writin_Reg I had no idea! I play Sims every day but I'm actually kind of out of the loop as far as what EA is working on. Would you mind if I asked what the SEED project is? I'm very intrigued!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Briah42 wrote: »
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Briah42 wrote: »
    >
    > > @Seera1024 said:
    > > andreasaspenberg wrote: »
    > >
    > > not really. the sims 4 is still in development.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > And some things are just way too costly and way too likely to break everything to be done once a game launches.
    > >
    > > It's too late in the game for that level of code change. That's the code you only change before you launch the game at all. So that when everything breaks, you can delay the launch without leaving players with a content drought for several months while you work on fixing everything.
    > >
    > > You're better off asking for Sims 5 to be open world. It's not too late for Sims 5.
    >
    > Do you guys think there will be a Sims 5, or do you think EA is going to stick with Sims 4 and just keep updating and working on it? I don't know very much about programming and generating games and their codes, but doesn't the Sims 4 get updates through Origin? Could it be possible for them to just stick with Sims 4 then creating a whole new Sims?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Technology could eventually make it necessary to have a new game. Especially seeing EA has been hard at work on their Atlas Project SEED program which they call the wave of the future. So yeah - as popular as the Sims games are and being a EA owned Franchise - The Sims 5 will eventually come at least in the Atlas Project.

Oh wow @Writin_Reg I had no idea! I play Sims every day but I'm actually kind of out of the loop as far as what EA is working on. Would you mind if I asked what the SEED project is? I'm very intrigued!

EA first talked about it a year or two ago - but if you go to EA's main page - they have some info there. It is a project they have a thousand people working on for the last 7 years and it is expected to be put into operation in the next 3 years. It's amazing to me anyway - LOL.

https://www.ea.com/seed

https://www.ea.com/seed/news/seed-imitation-learning-concurrent-actions

https://www.ea.com/news/announcing-project-atlas

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63714/eas-project-atlas-power-next-gen-gaming/index.html

https://www.windowscentral.com/electronic-arts-new-seed-division-project-scorpio

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/ea-project-atlas-cloud-gaming-1203014456/

There is tons more info out there but that is just a little of it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    andreasaspenbergandreasaspenberg Posts: 53 Member
    one of the reasons for open world causing issues in the sims 3 was that it ran out of memory. that issue is more or less gone in the sims 4(in the 64 bit executable at the very least).
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I do hope that the next sims will be open world and that it will use modern techniques that today's open world games uses, open world games use different techniques in order for it to work and avoid lag.

I am not an expert but it basically comes down to the game only rendering what's around you, anything that you do the player does not see, the game removes or only uses very small textures and assets for, that's how games like GTA5 can render an entire city and when you switch character, you notice that the game loads for some seconds, it's because it loads all the assets around your player character and removes the one's from the character you left.

The next sims would probably have to use some similar technique so it's possible that switching between sims that are far away would maybe take a bit longer but I do not think it would be that noticeable, depends on how detailed the open world is.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top