Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Middle names

Wouldn't it be nice to at least have it as an option?

I'm thinking it could just an optional extra name box sandwiched between the first name and last name. Maybe you can even add multiple middle names.

Some people and characters do have middle names, and it would be nice to have it included in a sim's name as well! Just to personalize it a little further, you know? Making it a part of the last name or first name just doesn't seem right.

lil_pixel_boys.png
they/he
simblr

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Not necessary for me
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I agree with this! How else can I create Albus Wulfric Percival Brian Dumbledore efficiently? (I hope that's the right order, the last time I read the books was like, five whole months ago... I still can't remember and I've read them every year since the 2nd grade)
    funny-gifs20.gif

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'ld prefer that sims took both the father and mother's family name.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I'ld prefer that sims took both the father and mother's family name.

That's one way you could use this feature!

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    As someone who uses middle names a lot (I usually play legacies. So atm I have Amelia-Grace. Grace was her mothers name. Amelia-Grace also has a daughter who I named Nilani-Grace and her female descendants will carry on that middle name) but yeah, an actual box would be cool.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Um can't you just type two names in the name bar?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »

Not really. I tried this but the name box doesn't allow enough characters. I mean it's the first and middle name are very very short it could work but for most of the names I've tried it wouldn't fit.

1. There isn't always enough space.
    2. Middle names aren't always a part of the first name. And not the last name either. It's a middle name and should be treated as such.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes, I was just thinking this myself a short while ago. It's not needed no, but it would be a nice touch and a way to honour a family member or friend if you wished.
  • Masters_In_SimologyMasters_In_Simology Posts: 62 Member
    I wouldn't object to it, but I don't know that it is a necessity for me. Push comes to shove, you can always just add a second name to the first name.
    Magdaleena wrote: »

2. Middle names aren't always a part of the first name. And not the last name either. It's a middle name and should be treated as such.

The game won't know the difference though. Even if we had the place for the middle name, the game would either not say the name or it would say it along with the rest of the name. And the latter can be done with just the first name bar. I can't think of a moment where the game would say or not say the middle name. It either say the first name or the first and last name. And if you hardly (or n)ever see the name in the game... is it really necessary?
    I dunno what the character limit is but they could just expand the limit of it, would solve the problem. Maybe some modder has done it?
  • CaleSimsCaleSims Posts: 196 Member
    > @nerdfashion said:
    > I agree with this! How else can I create Albus Wulfric Percival Brian Dumbledore efficiently? (I hope that's the right order, the last time I read the books was like, five whole months ago... I still can't remember and I've read them every year since the 2nd grade)

Albums Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. I’m a potter head too. :smile:
    tumblr_inline_myy9221NKN1rkh0l2.gif
  • FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 795 Member
    It would be better if when you go to make a new sim the name field by default had one box with a plus sign next to it so you can append more than one name to it. I'm tired of having to result to tricks like alt+255 in one of the slots so sims could have one name. Honestly, it might just be better to have the default setting for a sim in Create-A-Sim be one text field with a plus option to add on a middle and a last name or as many names as you could possibly need.

The game won't know the difference though. Even if we had the place for the middle name, the game would either not say the name or it would say it along with the rest of the name. And the latter can be done with just the first name bar. I can't think of a moment where the game would say or not say the middle name. It either say the first name or the first and last name. And if you hardly (or n)ever see the name in the game... is it really necessary?
    I dunno what the character limit is but they could just expand the limit of it, would solve the problem. Maybe some modder has done it?

The game sometimes refers to sims by their "first name", or whatever's in the first name field. Having the middle name be a part of that seems silly, as it's not a real part of the first name. It's like a secret part of the name people won't know up-front. Maybe it would add an interaction where your sims could ask for the full name? And then it would show up in the relationship bar?

Like, I dunno about you, I'm just sensing some sort of culture clash here; everyone in my family irl happens to have a middle name, it's a fairly common thing where I live. So I'd just like to have it as an option.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
    It would be better if when you go to make a new sim the name field by default had one box with a plus sign next to it so you can append more than one name to it. I'm tired of having to result to tricks like alt+255 in one of the slots so sims could have one name. Honestly, it might just be better to have the default setting for a sim in Create-A-Sim be one text field with a plus option to add on a middle and a last name or as many names as you could possibly need.

Haha gosh, yes this too!! I do have a sim who's only known by a single, three-letter name, literally nobody knows his last name, so it's kind of annoying when thr game forces me to pick one for him. His last name is not "-", it literally does not exist.

So name diversity in general would be great.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I like this idea, mainly for giving sims embarrassing middle names that they hate

The game sometimes refers to sims by their "first name", or whatever's in the first name field. Having the middle name be a part of that seems silly, as it's not a real part of the first name. It's like a secret part of the name people won't know up-front. Maybe it would add an interaction where your sims could ask for the full name? And then it would show up in the relationship bar?

Like, I dunno about you, I'm just sensing some sort of culture clash here; everyone in my family irl happens to have a middle name, it's a fairly common thing where I live. So I'd just like to have it as an option.

Yes, we do not have middle names where I'm from. Some obviously do but it's just the names really, they do not come from anything or anyone.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I'm not against the idea, but all I really need is more allowed characters per name bar, that would solve many of my problems, especially with double surnames. I would prefer an additional bar for a sim's title (like Doctor, Mayor, Sir/Lord/Lady, etc.).
    VanPelt81 wrote: »
    I like this idea, mainly for giving sims embarrassing middle names that they hate

That sounds amazing. :D
    I'm not against the idea, but all I really need is more allowed characters per name bar, that would solve many of my problems, especially with double surnames. I would prefer an additional bar for a sim's title (like Doctor, Mayor, Sir/Lord/Lady, etc.).

Ooh, yeah, a title bar would also be great to have! More characters too, I'd love that as well. Just being able to customize the whole name structure in general would be great.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    A minor(?) character in my Gen 6 is royalty so he (and his father) has 4 names+ unused last name and my heiress' two children will have 3 names each (1 first name and 3 middle names)+Swansons
    6adMCGP.gif