Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best computer specs?

Hi everyone

I am hoping to get a new computer built for me, but not sure what to ask for.
I know I can find the minimum requirements, but I want to know what good specifications would be.

For reference, I will be playing Sims 3 + all EPs/SPs, I use lots of CC, Mods, and all graphic settings on the highest.

What sort of things to I need to ask the guy building my computer for?

Thanks!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry for the somewhat recycled response, but to be fair this is a pretty common question. :)
    igazor wrote: »
    Processor - Required 2.4 GHz or higher, i5 and quad core or higher, or the AMD equivalents, for a laptop we usually recommend an i7. Some of the newer H-series quad and hexacores run at just under 2.4 GHz and these are fine too as they turbo a bit to make up the difference. Avoid the ultra low-power U- and Y- series processors at all costs.

RAM - At least 6 GB, but these days you should be looking at 8 or 16 GB. The game doesn't need and can't use that much, but Windows and other processes do. At 16+ GB you can run a web browser and more even while the game is running without worrying about running out of memory (usually). At 8 GB you can run a web browser up to a point but may find that you have to keep quitting it to return to the game.

Graphics Card - Must be dedicated, Nvidia GTX 1050/1050Ti or higher within that series which is the most commonly seen today or again the AMD equivalents. You could go higher, though this can raise the need for a stronger power supply and the price considerably, if you intend to play other games or have other uses for the machine in the future, but TS3 can't use more graphics power than that. The also current Nvidia MX 130 and 150s, which may also show up as GT 1030s, are lower-end cards and should be avoided.

Hard Drive - Solid State Drives (SSDs) are great for TS3. On TS4 they won't make any difference. But you do need one that is at least 500 GB to get the full benefit and not have to constantly fight running out of space. A common configuration is a very small (128 GB) SSD together with a larger second standard Hard Disk Drive (HDD) which is also okay but you will have to install the game on and shift the Documents folder with the user game folder to the secondary HDD and thus lose the benefit of even having the SSD as it will carry only Windows and systems applications.

Hope some of that helps.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • CMxCatCMxCat Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks so much @igazor! :smiley:
    edited May 2019
    Sorry to be a pain @igazor, but how do my current computer specs compare?

Processor: AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3.60GHz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors
    Installed Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Hard Drive: HDD 930GB

If you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks
    edited May 2019
    You're kind of mid-range there as far as these things go. You should be able to play most of the EPs on that system on or around medium settings, provided it is using the dedicated GT 640 for the game and not the Radeon integrated chip. Pets and Seasons may a bit much for it to handle well or at higher quality, IP and ITF may also be a bit iffy. Performance will also depend on how well these components are aging, this sounds like a comparatively much older system. So it would be fine for some, but there will be limits as to how far you could push things on it. How well is the game playing for you now?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    It's difficult to play. My computer shuts down usually whilst loading the save. Otherwise it may or may not shutdown randomally during gameplay. Gameplay is very slow too especially CAS but that could be due to the amount of CC I have (which I am trying to sort through.)
    edited May 2019
    CMxCat wrote: »
    It's difficult to play. My computer shuts down usually whilst loading the save. Otherwise it may or may not shutdown randomally during gameplay. Gameplay is very slow too especially CAS but that could be due to the amount of CC I have (which I am trying to sort through.)
    Whoa there, wait a minute! You don't get crashes or blue screens, but your entire computer shuts down as in suddenly powered off completely? That's not due to programs and their needs directly, that's a last resort emergency shutdown your system would be triggering when it's overheating in order to prevent the entire computer from blowing up or becoming irreparably damaged.

If the game is what seems to be triggering that kind of shutdown, if this is what you meant, then it should not be played. With your specs that should not be happening merely by running TS3 unless something mechanical is wrong with its cooling system or its insides are clogged with dust and hair so that the cooling system is just not functioning. Perhaps a professional cleaning from the inside would be in order and, if it's a laptop, a decent cooling pad might help.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Perhaps a professional cleaning from the inside would be in order and, if it's a laptop, a decent cooling pad might help.

This for sure.I have my laptop sitting on a cooling pad that raises it off the desk.I also have a floor fan aimed at my laptop.I live in Florida, and my room in the summer gets to almost 85, and my laptop runs toasty in the summer.I use a can of compressed air to clean it out the fans temporarily; and once every few months my nephew takes the fans out and does an actual full on cleaning.

I use coretemp to monitor my temps and if I see my laptop reaching 80.I give it a break.
    Thanks so much for the advice guys! Much appreciated :)