Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you like your sims' financial situation to be?

Comments

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I want my sims to live within the means their job allows but still have a comfortable life.
    Even outside of stories, I didn't use money cheats. Made the game boring. I like making them work for it. I'll never forget when I had a couple earn one million simoleons in Sims 3.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Teena94Teena94 Posts: 65 Member
    It depends on the story.
    I very rarely use money cheats. Because I like to carry on legacies, I like to start with a struggle family and then build up from there. It's quite nice when you've built up a wealth from scratch and feel like you've really "worked" for it loool.
  • TurquoisePapayaTurquoisePapaya Posts: 318 Member
    Give me that generation 8 of a legacy challenge old money wealth!
    @SheriSim57 Wow, you really like to think the stories through and make them as realistic as possible! I'm impressed! And I agree, functional clothing stores would be really cool. I wonder how that could be implemented to make it fit into the rest of the gameplay as seamlessly as possible. If it was as time consuming as eating at restaurants, I don't think I would use it often.
    giphy.gif
  • notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    Other. (Please specify, my dude!)
    Recently started a Rags to Riches save, and I'm LOVING it.

I don't like when my Sims are extremely wealthy. I feel like everything is so easy for them, and that's boring to me. But with Rags to Riches, they have to struggle and work for everything. Every single wall put up and piece of furniture bought is a triumph. They scrape and save for everything, rather than have it handed to them. And to me, this way of playing is very gratifying.
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I want my sims to live within the means their job allows but still have a comfortable life.
    I'm actually guilty of using the "Motherlode" cheat for over 8 years, but now i play as the sims should be, They work for their money, sell anything gifted to up their money and so on. (They usually sell paintings on the side)
    I use the UI cheat though, so if i cant handle all my families needs at once(which happens sometimes) i will fill their needs.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I love that rush when I have 2 simoleons left after breeding frogs to pay the bills.
    I like this way the most, but every family is different.
    I'm actually guilty of using the "Motherlode" cheat for over 8 years, but now i play as the sims should be, They work for their money, sell anything gifted to up their money and so on. (They usually sell paintings on the side)
    I use the UI cheat though, so if i cant handle all my families needs at once(which happens sometimes) i will fill their needs.

Oh, yes, I love UI Cheats, it made having twin toddlers manageable lol
    giphy.gif
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    edited May 2019
    @TurquoisePapaya I play on "Long" lifespan. So they always inevitably get really high skills. And often hobbies can turn a profit. As the greedy player I am, I always take the opportunity to profit from any side-hobbies they have.

I play legacy, so it takes a few generations to max out my funds; but I'm starting over for the third time and I'm only on generation six or seven? It sad because to abandon the max money properly, you have to abandon other things like family gravestones, family portraits, and any career unlocks (Buy items) you've achieved while playing.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited May 2019
    I don't mind a struggle, but sometimes my goal is to build fabulous (not really so fabulous, I'm not that great a builder :P) homes and lush furnishings and you just can't do that with "struggling artist" level paychecks. So I like to build up to riches within most saves, but also, I use motherlode when I'm building in a non legacy save because I have a tendency to go overboard building and furnishing and before I know it I have a 300,000- 500,000 simoleon home
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    keenow wrote: »
    @TurquoisePapaya I play on "Long" lifespan. So they always inevitably get really high skills. And often hobbies can turn a profit. As the greedy player I am, I always take the opportunity to profit from any side-hobbies they have.

I play legacy, so it takes a few generations to max out my funds; but I'm starting over for the third time and I'm only on generation six or seven? It sad because to abandon the max money properly, you have to abandon other things like family gravestones, family portraits, and any career unlocks (Buy items) you've achieved while playing.

Ok, that makes sense!
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I don't mind a struggle, but sometimes my goal is to build fabulous (not really so fabulous, I'm not that great a builder :P) homes and lush furnishings and you just can't do that with "struggling artist" level paychecks. So I like to build up to riches within most saves, but also, I use motherlode when I'm building in a non legacy save because I have a tendency to go overboard building and furnishing and before I know it I have a 300,000- 500,000 simoleon home

Wow, @duhboy2u2 you really play in every style!
    giphy.gif
    keenow wrote: »

Ok, that makes sense!
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »

Wow, @duhboy2u2 you really play in every style!
    :) I admit, I'm a bit of an addict. Also, I have a short attention span sometimes so I often switch things up with a new save. Sadly I have too many saves for comfort and my daughter cringes when she logs in on my pc. :P
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I motherlode whatever money I need because I like to play without thinking about money at all.
    When I first got into TS3, I was a cheater, big time. Then I took an extremely long hiatus from it and when I returned, I decided not to cheat too much. For TS4, big cheater. Even tried to play it normally, but I eventually switched back to giving my Sim 9,999,999 simoleons. More than that is in his bank account (mod) and the rest is in his household funds.

With the TS3, it feels harder to make a lot of money in that game and there's investments and real estate, things that making spending money to make money fun. In the Sims 4, that level of grind isn't present in the game other than going from rags to riches in a straight line. It makes me just want to be rich from the start as opposed to working for it.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited May 2019
    It depends on the story.
    I love the rags to riches play and whenever I start a new gameplay I always start that way. On the other hand, if I have any rotation I do like to vary and I have no qualms over using the money cheat. For instance, the Goths are filthy rich. The household I started with in my main gameplay is still a no cheat household and they earn all their dough the hard way. Not hard though, as the stay-at-home mom is an avid fisherwoman and her ever expanding garden has become quite profitable. They will soon be able to build a greenhouse using only their savings after they have completed paying a loan from the bank (I gave them a bit of a kaching bump when they were extending their home).

But getting rich in this game is sooo easy for some households that I have on occasion used the money X cheat to shave of a few thousand Simoleons from them. For instance, the Bheeda's household in my main gameplay lost $8000 last time I played them leaving them with 211 Simoleans and the rent was due. All because, ...well they owned the bank (me :wink: ) 4000 simoleans and the rest Arun lost because of bad investment. Jesminder was not happy and exiled the poor man to the sofa. But I have no worries as Jesminder has managed to sell a few of her paintings.
  • haloujahalouja Posts: 175 Member
    Other - I play without cheats or mods and prefer to start with nothing and gradually build up the funds as my family progresses through the generations.
    This signature has encountered a problem and will now close; do you want to send an error message?

25Aug2014
    My daughter says: "I start my sims with the 'Money 0' cheat and if I think they are getting to rich too fast I take it away from them. I don't like them to have too much or they'll get spoiled," laughs evilly.
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I never play with money cheats anymore and haven't since Sims 2 and I tend to enjoy all stages of wealth because I end up with different focuses. I do have one vampire pair that just has too much money though. Turns out when you have the time to grow perfect plants and you also have a different job with residual income you just end up with a money pot. They've had five children though (1 vampire and 4 abduction alien babies, two of which I had to de-glitch) so it's fun to go off and play with those and be broke again.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial frog breeding is just the first thing that popped into my mind when I think about my barely getting by sims haha

Never thought of that :D
    If I really struggle with money, I usually stay over at friends or a hotel (electricity cut), eat cheap foods at the fridge or bar, fruits etc. And sometimes I find stuff in their inventory to sell. My sims can not go out and they usually try to fill the gap with hard worked money from their job.

I think I once tried to harvest fruit/veggies from my sims garden for sale. It was pretty fun!
    @AHolyToilet That's a unique perspective and it's interesting that your play style is affected by if the game is TS3 or TS4.
    giphy.gif
    Akil wrote: »
    I never play with money cheats anymore and haven't since Sims 2 and I tend to enjoy all stages of wealth because I end up with different focuses. I do have one vampire pair that just has too much money though. Turns out when you have the time to grow perfect plants and you also have a different job with residual income you just end up with a money pot. They've had five children though (1 vampire and 4 abduction alien babies, two of which I had to de-glitch) so it's fun to go off and play with those and be broke again.

Four abduction alien pregnancies?!?!!!?
    giphy.gif
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have one rich character I used a money cheat for, but otherwise I like them to only live on what they earn.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • queenvortex808queenvortex808 Posts: 1,033 Member
    It depends on the story.
    Storylines are very important to me!
    I play on PS4! Otaku here! From the lands of Canada 🇨🇦
    Haha, you clicked, now you have to read all my Sword Art Online fan fiction!
    I have one rich character I used a money cheat for, but otherwise I like them to only live on what they earn.

Very realistic, I like it!
    giphy.gif
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    It depends on the story.
    If, I'm a store owner, I always use the motherlode cheat. I want the store the way I want it, which is usually packed to the gills. I plan to use the empty hood at some point to make a bunch of specialty shops and to have certain sims own them and then to play a household that has nothing to do with them, but shops there. I hate just buying from thin air and the shops give us the opportunity to buy from shops instead of the buy area.

If new content comes out or I'm playing a large house, I use the cheat.

There are times, I want to start out small and have a collector/harvester who lives off of what they can get or someone who lives in a tent on a piece of land and I just use what money they make.

If there are kids/family, I usually use the cheat. I like the kids to have everything.

The money cheats are basically the only ones I use.
  • godzilla166godzilla166 Posts: 68 Member
    I let most of my sims have the traditional start but I sometimes use money cheats to build different wealth brackets for realism
  • HeroicsHeroics Posts: 10 New Member

Play it as it comes and it seems a bit easy to make cash, certainly. I've used cheats to remove money for challenges more than I have used them to add.

Currently on 44/100 for a 100 Baby challenge and this is the first time I have successfully used a Money Tree. I will probably just avoid them in the future, as it is far too easy. Then again, I was 200k + before I even got the Money Tree, and my initial Matriarch already had Shrewd.

I play games for that hint of a challenge, and being tight in the wallet helps to give satisfaction when overcoming those issues. Playing for "the Story" in TS4 is still something at which I am trying to improve. When the two cross I still feel I should just "earn it", unless an obvious bug seems to be blocking me.