Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Developers, You really did it this time.

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I do wish there were one or two more lots also.
    My town is bursting now and I'm playing in rotation! I do that sometimes but I'm doing it with a liveliness that.. is just different. I can't wait to play the next house but I still want to be playing the one I'm in.
    It's a GP though and something new so .. here's hoping they do it again!

I LOVE this new. I'd love to see it again too. Bring on the quirky, weird sims worlds!

And I'm the same as you! I want to play them ALL, but I want to play it out where I am at too!

Well DONE Sims team!
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    I love strangeville but I've run into a problem. My sim has to use the experimental virus on 3 sims. Ok, I wait for a sim infected, use it, and their fine. BUT when I try to recruit them it says the virus has to be used. She still had them in her inventory. It's happened 3 times in a row. I can't get any further.
  • FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    I love strangeville but I've run into a problem. My sim has to use the experimental virus on 3 sims. Ok, I wait for a sim infected, use it, and their fine. BUT when I try to recruit them it says the virus has to be used. She still had them in her inventory. It's happened 3 times in a row. I can't get any further.
    You have to collect more plants and spores, then go back to lab and create the actual vaccine. You then go find the three you wish to take with you and use the real vaccine on them. (not infected sims) Once that is completed you can recruit the last three that you used the real vaccine on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    I didn't think I would like it when I found out you had to beat the Mother to get your town normal. But, I succeeded and kept this game as my normal game, LOL.

I couldn't help myself but to start a new game and try it again. I am really enjoying this pack!

I really don't want to play in the other worlds now. Seems I am a "resident of StrangerVille" now. It is safe to say.......this is my favorite pack <3

I'm finding myself in the same predicament. I wish we could own homes in different worlds because I love Bridleton Bay and it's where I've been playing since Seasons but Strangerville is a strong second. I think I'm going to use it mostly for Community lots and family relatives. That way I'll have plenty of reasons to visit.

Was it your comments I read before in another thread about sending (moving?) the kids to grandparents on the weekend? I was wondering, if you have the relatives in StrangerVille, if you could move one in and start stirring things up, then move them back? Then next time you visit you would see vines in the toilet or some strange things happening? I don't know why your post made me think of this, LOL

Yes, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to spin it. Whether I want to keep some sort of mild infection or clear it all out again.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I hope someone makes a poll to ask those who like this if they would trade in (discontinue) life simulator/open-ended/sandbox GP packs or EPs for more of scripted story play. And if they want TS5 to work like that, too.

What options would there be in your poll? Hope there would be one option where you can choose to have a great sandbox-game with a few added Strangerville-style things on the side because that would be my choice.

I love being able to play a single sim, or rotational. One of the best things for me has been the clubs, how I can change every save and make them feel unique.

I do believe that the game can contain a little bit of this kind of adventure and still be good. However, just because I enjoyed Strangerville doesn’t mean that I want the entire game to all of a sudden become like that. Don’t quite get why it has to be so rigid.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    If story and sandbox are so mutually exclusive, why did Skyrim sell 72 bajillion units?

Skyrim's story is a side element to its sandbox components. The story, just like most side quests, can be easily ignored and do whatever you want within the boundaries the developers have set (mechanics, world, etc). A sandbox can have story and quests, but they shouldn't be the focus in a sandbox game. You'd seldom find a person who bought Skyrim for the main quest (Defeat Alduin).

The story is the focus of StrangerVille. You're either doing the story, or you're playing the same old The Sims 4 in a slightly different version of Oasis Springs. StrangerVille didn't add anything new to the sandbox core of the game. The mistake wasn't including a story, the mistake was making the story the focus of the pack and the main selling point.

TS3 World Adventure did a much better job introducing a story in Al SimHara (MorcuCorp trying to exploit the region) with branching paths but without being the sole focus of the pack. Like I said, it's 100% possible to have a story within a sandbox experience. But if the story is the focus of that experience, then the sandbox is relegated to a secondary role.

Exactly, you have no choice in this GP to do that, I enjoyed Skyrim because that has been it objective since it was developed, for Sims series it has not been it's objective until Sims 4 came out and for me the execution is not good. In Skyrim I had many choices but SV I do not.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I hope someone makes a poll to ask those who like this if they would trade in (discontinue) life simulator/open-ended/sandbox GP packs or EPs for more of scripted story play. And if they want TS5 to work like that, too.

Trade in no, but I have no problem with the game including both. I enjoy both. I loved Sims 2, I also loved Castaways. I like that they have created a game pack that has scripted events like this for the main game instead of making it a stand alone game apart from the main game. Just my personal preference though.

I was going to say the same thing, I'm glad that instead of being a stand alone game it was a game pack for the main game, in the end people who wanted some story driven Sims experience now have it, and people who didn't have the option of getting a new world and items. it's a win win for anybody craving new content or for someone who wanted a story to follow.

I agree with the OP, I had an immense amount of fun playing this pack, only complaint from my end is that the story was on the shorter side of things, but now that the story is over I have a beautiful new world to play in, I love the vibe of the world and it may possibly be one of my favourites.

I was asking an honest question but my words were misunderstood. It's great you like it. I just wanted to know if the town is strange if you didn't play the tasks and if the setup is bothersome. (Aspiration). But I digress and let it go.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited March 2019
    filipomel wrote: »
    Sara1010P wrote: »

Trade in no, but I have no problem with the game including both. I enjoy both. I loved Sims 2, I also loved Castaways. I like that they have created a game pack that has scripted events like this for the main game instead of making it a stand alone game apart from the main game. Just my personal preference though.

I was going to say the same thing, I'm glad that instead of being a stand alone game it was a game pack for the main game, in the end people who wanted some story driven Sims experience now have it, and people who didn't have the option of getting a new world and items. it's a win win for anybody craving new content or for someone who wanted a story to follow.

I agree with the OP, I had an immense amount of fun playing this pack, only complaint from my end is that the story was on the shorter side of things, but now that the story is over I have a beautiful new world to play in, I love the vibe of the world and it may possibly be one of my favourites.

I was asking an honest question but my words were misunderstood. It's great you like it. I just wanted to know if the town is strange if you didn't play the tasks and if the setup is bothersome. (Aspiration). But I digress and let it go.

I will answer with what I saw when my sim first moved there :)
    I saw three sims walking strange and there are very different looking flowers growing around the world. If you have a welcome wagon that can be a strange experience, if you chose to cancel it then you will not see the weird stuff that that can bring about. Otherwise just let the welcome wagon pass and then ignore those three sims and it is a town to live in.

The people walking weird could be sort of like vampires stalking in the night or the sad clown moping around. Just part of the world.

This is what I saw before I chose to begin the story. The town and story gets weirder if you start following the breadcrumbs. If you let them be then it just is what it is. A little bit stranger than usual, something akin to moving to Forgotten Hollow as a regular sim. "Honey, have you wondered about our neighbors. They are a little bit strange, are they not?".

I will know more after a new save, I was planning to have a sim living there for a while before progressing the story.
    Post edited by SilentKitty on
  • idkpizzaidkpizza Posts: 13 New Member
    I'm really glad you liked it so much. It was nice to read something so positive and it's very clear that you really had fun with it. Personally, I loved the quirky eeriness of it (something I have always loved about The Sims) but feel they didn't flesh this out NEARLY as much as they could have. I was disappointed with the execution overall, but I still experienced the thrill in the same ways that you did. I think they could have made it much higher quality, especially for the price, but the concept (especially it being an occult/paranoia/conspiracy-style thing, with spying equipment and alien stuff, which I like a LOT) was very fun.

> @OEII1001 said:
    > Imagine moving to Oasis Springs and being caught up in Johnny Zest's attempt to reconcile with his family, and through a series of objectives having the opportunity to either help with that reconciliation or aid Malcolm in pushing Johnny out of the will for good.

This is cool! I feel like some of this was realised in TS3 and the progression of this franchise could move to include stuff like this very, very easily without ostracising other players. Having fun little opportunities with more player control and deeper, more intricate consequences would be great and the way technology is heading in the future, this could be a good direction to go to move forward and to continue advancing. Detailed, optional new story-lines for people who want to play them, but remaining a simulator and not an rpg.

I think the problem of it now being fleshed-out enough is reflective of TS4 as a whole, and not specific to this game pack, but I would like to see it done better! It has so much potential to be so enjoyable, I think I would like it as much as you did!
  • Lyrhc0Lyrhc0 Posts: 12 New Member
    I'm loving Strangerville. It has sparked my interest, which has been waning lately. I've played every Sim game and additional content that was ever released by Maxis/EA, all the way back to Sims 1. The sandbox game play is still my favorite game style, but the storyline adds a nice touch and gives my game some direction. It reminds me of Al Simhara in Sims 3 World Adventures, which I played a lot more than any other pack. I normally prefer realism and stay away from the supernatural elements of the game, but the humor in Strangerville is much appreciated and I found myself playing a character type that I've never played before.

I don't know why this game pack has everyone upset. It's not like the sandbox style has gone away. Playing the aspiration and following the story line is optional. I wish there were a few additional lots to build on, but overall it's a grade A pack for me. :)

My ultimate dream for future Sims is for the game to have a progressive timeline--that is, your Sims start out in the Stone Age, and progress to ancient, medieval, Victorian, and modern eras over several generations--but that's pie in the sky. In my imagined version, players have the option to start in whatever era they want and turn off progression, but still play sandbox style. Medieval was disappointing because the sandbox element wasn't there.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm reading everyone's posts with severe Sim-envy. No time to play, so far this week, and I didn't have much time over the weekend. I'm also alternating with my main save (my Sim is trying to get the amoured catfish in Selvadora and complete the family collections).

I was a bit thrown in my 'struggling Sims' storyline - I made the mistake of having the mother check the post for Winterfest gifts, hoping she might get a coffee-maker that she could sell for a few simoleons, and instead, she got a S7,000 painting. Keep it, and she'd never be able to pay her bills. Sell it, and she's no longer struggling. I'm trying to find time to send the mother to the fishing pond in her neighbourhood - poor thing's done nothing but work and try to keep up with her toddler. I also want to visit the curio shop I've heard so much about.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Lyrhc0 wrote: »
    I'm loving Strangerville. It has sparked my interest, which has been waning lately. I've played every Sim game and additional content that was ever released by Maxis/EA, all the way back to Sims 1. The sandbox game play is still my favorite game style, but the storyline adds a nice touch and gives my game some direction. It reminds me of Al Simhara in Sims 3 World Adventures, which I played a lot more than any other pack. I normally prefer realism and stay away from the supernatural elements of the game, but the humor in Strangerville is much appreciated and I found myself playing a character type that I've never played before.

I don't know why this game pack has everyone upset. It's not like the sandbox style has gone away. Playing the aspiration and following the story line is optional. I wish there were a few additional lots to build on, but overall it's a grade A pack for me. :)

My ultimate dream for future Sims is for the game to have a progressive timeline--that is, your Sims start out in the Stone Age, and progress to ancient, medieval, Victorian, and modern eras over several generations--but that's pie in the sky. In my imagined version, players have the option to start in whatever era they want and turn off progression, but still play sandbox style. Medieval was disappointing because the sandbox element wasn't there.

You plucked the first two paragraphs outta my mind lol. And I love your idea of a progressive timeline - that would be something to behold!

I am absolutely loving the world of Strangerville and the quirks and humour. Considering I have never been keen on living in desert worlds, this is suddenly my favourite. The detail to it is amazing.

I am just doing some editing of Lots and adding a few more characters and then I am going to start a new rotation play and start the mystery again really, really slowly, incorporating it into my rotation. I can't wait!

Oh, and I just wanted to say how nice it was reading through this thread and seeing enthusiasm and excitement.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I'm reading everyone's posts with severe Sim-envy. No time to play, so far this week, and I didn't have much time over the weekend. I'm also alternating with my main save (my Sim is trying to get the amoured catfish in Selvadora and complete the family collections).

I was a bit thrown in my 'struggling Sims' storyline - I made the mistake of having the mother check the post for Winterfest gifts, hoping she might get a coffee-maker that she could sell for a few simoleons, and instead, she got a S7,000 painting. Keep it, and she'd never be able to pay her bills. Sell it, and she's no longer struggling. I'm trying to find time to send the mother to the fishing pond in her neighbourhood - poor thing's done nothing but work and try to keep up with her toddler. I also want to visit the curio shop I've heard so much about.

How do you get gifts like that? i always get cheap ones, i miss the sims in the sims 3 when I got an item worth 500.000
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited March 2019
    I am planning on getting this game pak this weekend. can you tell me, after you finish the mystery. can you delete ALL the lots, and add your own lots. or are there some you cannot delete.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I am planning on getting this game pak this weekend. can you tell me, after you finish the mystery. can you delete ALL the lots, and add your own lots. or are there some you cannot delete.

You can delete them all but for the story you need a library and a bar. You can't change the lab.
    egTcBMc.png
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    This is probably one of my most fav things EA has ever given me, no seriously, it is.. who doesnt love a bit of a story, and its not everyones cup of tea but it sure is mine! :) it was differently from having to make my own story all the time.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
    edited March 2019
    @Hermitgirl Does that mean you cannot delete the lab. Also if I delete everything after I play the story to just play in the world and save it after everything is deletes to a new name . Is it true that if I want to play the story again, I can download it new and then do the story, not in the world that I saved. Is it possible to delete everything without playing the story and just use that world. Then if I want to do the story I can start a new world for the story. Sorry for so many questions
    Oh by the way I do want to play the story first. I do like those games that you have to click on this to get out of some place you are and find the things to help.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @Evalen... yes you can't delete or change the lab
    egTcBMc.png
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I can say now I'm loving it too... especially for the fact that they left the story loose, you can literally explain it how you want.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Hermitgirl Does that mean you cannot delete the lab. Also if I delete everything after I play the story to just play in the world and save it after everything is deletes to a new name . Is it true that if I want to play the story again, I can download it new and then do the story, not in the world that I saved. Is it possible to delete everything without playing the story and just use that world. Then if I want to do the story I can start a new world for the story. Sorry for so many questions
    Oh by the way I do want to play the story first. I do like those games that you have to click on this to get out of some place you are and find the things to help.
    If you want to play the story, probably best thing to do is play it through and then when it is finished keep that save as your basic starter hood. You could start any new games from that save and not have to do the story again. Then, if you decide you do want to do the story again you can either reactivate it in that save (I believe we can rewake Mother) or start a brand new unplayed save (or one saved from before you bought Strangerville).

I actually changed most of the Lots before I started playing (except the lab, since it is locked to us) - I edited the library and the bar only a little but changed almost all of the houses with ones I downloaded from the gallery.
    @elanorbreton /thanks for the input, I like to change the houses also. I kind of like houses without foundation and love how easy it is to do that. even with a house that has a foundation. you can easily remove it
    @Hermitgirl thanks for letting me know about the lab. I am getting a little excited about Strangerville

It is nice to hear others who are enjoying it. there is so much negativity, I don't mind so much if someone does not like it. but for the ones who have never tried it, I am not sure how they know they will not like it. It reminds me of a child who says he doesn't like green beans, yet has not even tasted it. I think of so many times when I have said I wouldn't like something and then when I tried it. wow, I liked it. To me it is totally impossible to know if I like something unless I taste, touch, feel or use it to know if I like it or not. Have a great day with your game.

What options would there be in your poll? Hope there would be one option where you can choose to have a great sandbox-game with a few added Strangerville-style things on the side because that would be my choice.

I love being able to play a single sim, or rotational. One of the best things for me has been the clubs, how I can change every save and make them feel unique.

I do believe that the game can contain a little bit of this kind of adventure and still be good. However, just because I enjoyed Strangerville doesn’t mean that I want the entire game to all of a sudden become like that. Don’t quite get why it has to be so rigid.

@Silentkitty I have never played a single Sim. I thought of playing one and then adopt a child or teen before they die. How do you play , what happen when they get old. I have always wanted to play a single Sim. I do have one in mind that I would like to use.
  • KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    @Evalen I rarely play couples or families, usually only single Sims. I play with aging off, or at least I don't let them get but a few days into elderhood before I turn it off, so I've actually never had one of my elders die. The main reason I play single sims is because I just find it too nerve-wracking to try to take care of an entire house full of people. I've noticed that even if THEY don't seem to mind it, I'm starting to think my sims are lonely LOL. How do you manage with more than one Sim at a time? Is it hectic?
    @Kelleygirl I know how you feel. I only play a couple with only 1 child. I too find it hard with a lot of sims, I too find it nerve-wracking with a lot in the family, that is why I only have 1 child. I seem to be able to handle that. I only play in houses with one floor, because that way I can see what each one is doing.
    Love your dog, is that your dog, I had one just like that, she died last year at the age of 16, I now have a awesome cat. she is so friendly and wants to be petted all the time. I adopted her.
    edited March 2019

@Silentkitty I have never played a single Sim. I thought of playing one and then adopt a child or teen before they die. How do you play , what happen when they get old. I have always wanted to play a single Sim. I do have one in mind that I would like to use.

Playing with many households
    Part big of my playstyle is rotating between households. I have my main single sim but I have set up my sims calendar with and holiday that is called “NPC-day” which is a holiday without work or school. That way I can use that dedicated day to bouncing around the world setting up clubs that I want to see when I go out exploring with my sims. I advance story that I want to see in other households. I love making my own story progression for the world.

Story progression in households
    Even if my main sim is a single I really enjoy playing a big family for a day. Start of with a townie that I have come to like. See if I can help that sim find a partner that they click with. A few weeks later I rotate back again. Take the two sims into CAS and give them one or two toddlers and play the family for maybe half a day. Next time I swing by maybe the kids have aged into children. Ad a new toddler and play the family again for a bit. When the children are big enough for clubs I give the family something to do together. Maybe they get their own family-club to go to the space-museum. While I am at it the parents get a few promotions in their careers and I make sure they have some romance going.

Playing single main sim + world
    I guess that saying that I play a single sim is not an accurate description. If I would have been locked into only play one household without rotation I would have gone mad. There is my main sim running her personal challenge and on the side I build a new world with aliens, vampires and the type of weird that that specific story need. I invest a lot of time into all the households in the save and build alliances and story but it seldom reaches into a multigenerational adventure.

I guess that mostly move on before death becomes an issue but adding a favorite niece to the household is a great way to let the old main sim pass away and move on in the world with a new single sim.