Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA CEO: The Sims 4 has now passed $1 billion lifetime revenue

2...Next

Comments

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Good news though I’ll keep my expectations low. They said 20 new content drops across all platforms, pc, console and mobile. They said nothing about how that number is to be distributed among the three.

They indicated eps actually and free content. I was actually hoping for some gps though.

4 games get free content. Two on mobile, which get them often, and PC/Console which get the same things at different times. The bulk of the content drops will be mobile related. There is no question to that. Nothing suggests Sims 4 is getting more DLC/free content than we did this past year.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2019
    Cool, let’s see that go towards worlds bigger than 5 lots.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited February 2019
    Good news though I’ll keep my expectations low. They said 20 new content drops across all platforms, pc, console and mobile. They said nothing about how that number is to be distributed among the three.

They indicated eps actually and free content. I was actually hoping for some gps though.

4 games get free content. Two on mobile, which get them often, and PC/Console which get the same things at different times. The bulk of the content drops will be mobile related. There is no question to that. Nothing suggests Sims 4 is getting more DLC/free content than we did this past year.

Exactly! Which is why my expectations are low regarding seeing the bulk of those releases being for the PC.

Same reason why I put no real weight in the whole “we have content for multiple years” statement. When I read that I was like, yay! But then I was like, umm ya that could mean all they have is one pack per year for the next several years and they would have fulfilled that statement.

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I just think it's great that my favorite game is getting high revenue...maybe I tend to simplify things. I keep remembering what Grant said at the release of Sims 4, if Sims 4 fails there won't be a Sims 5. Well hopefully they're working on Sims 5 now. (Very optimistic, lol.)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Good. Now they should invest that money back into Sims 4's development instead of giving us content droughts or mediocre cash grabs like MFPS 🤔

And bug fixes!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Andrew Wilson always refers to content as expansions. I don’t believe we are getting twenty expansions between now and then. And if we do I dread to think of the quality!

Exactly. Look at the sims mobile content releases already.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Oh, wow... that's unbelievable. But I'm sure it's true if it came directly from an EA CEO. EA's stock must be soaring about now. I bet the stockholders are ecstatic.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited February 2019
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Oh, wow... that's unbelievable. But I'm sure it's true if it came directly from an EA CEO. EA's stock must be soaring about now. I bet the stockholders are ecstatic.

Actually EA's stock is at an all time low right now if other sources I read and hear are to be believed. Basically other games published by EA are not getting the expected sales numbers/revenue. So in other words they can no longer monetize like they used to as gamers stopped buying. While the Sims franchise is selling well, that same scheme does not translate to other games.

It’s really not. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-stock-heads-toward-largest-drop-in-more-than-a-decade-after-earnings-miss-2019-02-05

I notice there was no reference to their troubles with Belgium and loot boxes on the earnings call either. Convenient?

It’s really not. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-stock-heads-toward-largest-drop-in-more-than-a-decade-after-earnings-miss-2019-02-05

I notice there was no reference to their troubles with Belgium and loot boxes on the earnings call either. Convenient?

Oh, wow... what a conundrum. I wonder what this sudden billion dollar reveal means? They used to never be this forthcoming with ts4's profits... or revenue. Is that even the same thing? I'm just terrible with all of these complicated investment or accounting terms.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    It's worth keeping in mind overall stock fluctuations too. It's not been a good year for the stock market generally.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited February 2019
    elelunicy wrote: »
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    In one quarter? Wow. That's pretty cool. :)
    Lifetime revenue, so since TS4's release.

For comparison, the entire Sims franchise passed $2.5 billion lifetime revenue in 2010. That included TS1 (and its EPs), TS2 (and its EPs/SPs), TS3 (base game + 1EP + 8 months of store content), and many other spin-off games and console games.
    Between the three major installments of The Sims, and their numerous expansions, add-ons, and spin-offs, the publisher said its flagship franchise has brought in more than $2.5 billion in revenues, with more than 125 million copies sold to date.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-turns-10-tops-125-million-units/1100-6249485/

Edit to add: thats a really small amount in 4 years when you see the revenue of other games.....gta v earned almost 1 billion in just 24 HOURS LOL. Red dead 2 sold almos 800 million in 48 hours. Sims 4 had 4.1 million units sold and sims 3 by thus same time had sold almost 8 million units.....thats almost double....It isnt a coincidence that literally 5 days before a major shareholder said it was the poorest selling of the franchise. Sims 1, 2, and 3 were all in pc mag for being the best selling pc games of all time.....last weeks article had sims 4 rated at 8.....
    Here is the breakdown, sims 3 not only sold double almost what 4 did, its the best selling pc game of all time. https://www.statista.com/statistics/275226/best-selling-pc-games-of-all-time-worldwide/
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Well maybe the Sims 4 units sold will have moved up by the time it comes to the end of it's development and has been out for 19 years like the Sims, or 15 years like the Sims 2, or 10 years like the Sims 3.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Actually EA's stock is at an all time low right now if other sources I read and hear are to be believed. Basically other games published by EA are not getting the expected sales numbers/revenue. So in other words they can no longer monetize like they used to as gamers stopped buying. While the Sims franchise is selling well, that same scheme does not translate to other games.

That's due to the fact that Battlefield 5 and Fifa didn't do so good the past year, (thanks to EA themselves mind you) but EA seems to keep wanting to push their online loot box narrative, releasing incomplete games at 60-100€ that already have full dlc's planned. Gamers are tired of that bs. And some countries have already placed laws against video game gambling systems with reason which is affecting EA and other companies. I hope all the rest of Europe soon follows tbh.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited February 2019
    @Schantal wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    In one quarter? Wow. That's pretty cool. :)
    Lifetime revenue, so since TS4's release.

For comparison, the entire Sims franchise passed $2.5 billion lifetime revenue in 2010. That included TS1 (and its EPs), TS2 (and its EPs/SPs), TS3 (base game + 1EP + 8 months of store content), and many other spin-off games and console games.
    Between the three major installments of The Sims, and their numerous expansions, add-ons, and spin-offs, the publisher said its flagship franchise has brought in more than $2.5 billion in revenues, with more than 125 million copies sold to date.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-sims-turns-10-tops-125-million-units/1100-6249485/

Edit to add: thats a really small amount in 4 years when you see the revenue of other games.....gta v earned almost 1 billion in just 24 HOURS LOL. Red dead 2 sold almos 800 million in 48 hours. Sims 4 had 4.1 million units sold and sims 3 by thus same time had sold almost 8 million units.....thats almost double....It isnt a coincidence that literally 5 days before a major shareholder said it was the poorest selling of the franchise. Sims 1, 2, and 3 were all in pc mag for being the best selling pc games of all time.....last weeks article had sims 4 rated at 8.....
    Here is the breakdown, sims 3 not only sold double almost what 4 did, its the best selling pc game of all time. https://www.statista.com/statistics/275226/best-selling-pc-games-of-all-time-worldwide/

Lol TS4 sold well over 10 million copies by now. In 2016 SimGuruLyndsay confirmed that over 5 million copies of TS4 were sold. I don’t know where you got your 4.1 million number from (I cannot see any numbers in your link. The article is behind pay wall).

Comparing The Sims to games like GTA V (100 million copies sold) is funny, given TS1+TS2+TS3 base games combined still didn’t sell anywhere near GTA V.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    edited February 2019
    mirta000 wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Good. Now they should invest that money back into Sims 4's development instead of giving us content droughts or mediocre cash grabs like MFPS 🤔

how do you think it got this profitable? Cut back all costs possible, piecemeal content as much as possible and you got your money cow.
    Our Sims franchise continues to thrive in live services – our Sims 4 community grew by 4.8 million unique players last year, our monthly active players continue to grow year-over-year, and we just crossed $1 billion in lifetime revenue for the game.

We continue to have strong expectations for The Sims going forward, and in FY20 we’re bringing at least 20 new content drops and expansion packs to our Sims games across PC, mobile and console. We plan to bring a lot of great new content to the passionate and growing player base in The Sims 4.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/Q3-FY19-Prepared-Remarks-FINAL.pdf
    Page 8

FY20 is the 12 month period ending March 31, 2020.

also kind of important - does the number of 4.8 million include those on Origin access?

The $1 billion is revenue, not profit. You can make a billion dollars and still lose money (though I suspect that this is not the case). They are not a charity. Investors have a right to expect a return on their investment.

Of course, they can't make money unless they give us stuff to buy - you would hope that positive results would give them reason to put more resources toward the Sims. We're literally begging for more content, EA - build it, and we will buy it.

It is interesting that they chose to use "revenue" numbers instead of profit amounts or net income. As you've noted and from what I've read on the Google, a billion in revenue minus expenses (i.e., all other fixed and variable expenses associated with operating the business, such as advertising, rent, utilities, and payroll) can still be operating at a profound loss.

I hope they're okay... I would like to see things get better for the franchise.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I hope some of that future content contains a wedding pack. And, that the guests will take their seats instead of milling around. Why not have a code installed that once the a Sim clicks on the wedding arch all the Sims in the room scramble to take their seats? As in RL? Guessing that would be just too easy … Ho-hum.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

That's due to the fact that Battlefield 5 and Fifa didn't do so good the past year, (thanks to EA themselves mind you) but EA seems to keep wanting to push their online loot box narrative, releasing incomplete games at 60-100€ that already have full dlc's planned. Gamers are tired of that plum. And some countries have already placed laws against video game gambling systems with reason which is affecting EA and other companies. I hope all the rest of Europe soon follows tbh.

It is also due to smarter consumers all around. Like for example, I refuse to pre-order any game or dlc. I always wait until it goes on sale as I research before buying and know what I am willing to pay for said game/content. A majority of Sims 4 content I have purchased has been at 50% or more off regular price as I do not believe it is worth any more than that. But then, I am like that with a majority of my purchases.