Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New simulation game?

ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
There is supposedly a new open world simulation game being developed by a frustrated Sims 3 player. It looks legit but they’re asking for money for development. I’ll add a link later when I’m on my computer but if you search for ‘habs’ or ‘reviestudio’ you should be able to find it. If this is for real it’s exciting!

eta: https://www.reviestudios.com/

eta: not a scam!
Post edited by ZeeGee on

Comments

• CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    More importantly why does Dina in your video look like one of those Lifetime movie girls that acts sweet buts wants to kill you.Or she is hired as the babysitter tries to seduce the husband and replaces the wife cause she cant have kids of her own.

I don't trust her :#
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It looks interesting for sure! I think the fact that the person(s) behind this know what issues some of us have with the erm 2014 offering can only be a good thing. The best games tend to be the ones the devs themselves play and have a thorough understanding of and competition is never a bad thing.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    More importantly why does Dina in your video look like one of those Lifetime movie girls that acts sweet buts wants to kill you.Or she is hired as the babysitter tries to seduce the husband and replaces the wife cause she cant have kids of her own.

I don't trust her :#

@CravenLestat Whatever you do, DO NOT TRUST HER!! :lol:
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited October 2018
    Wow seen it @ZeeGee The environments are gorgeous,am not a fan of the Habs "People" look but the towns the houses the landscapes the water realism is really good.And the funeral thing was awesome
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    @MidnightAura Very true! I hope it's for real

@CravenLestat The 'habs' don't look that great. But if this is for real and they get the money they need hopefully that will change. I think I'll post a question about that and see if they come back to me.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    They’re asking for money for development? Nah, when it’s released, that’s when I open my wallet.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 Yes, they’re doing a kickstarter campaign.

As much money as I’ve spent on Sims 3 and equipment to play Sims 3 I don’t mind throwing some money their way in the off chance that we could get a really cool simulation game. :)

@CravenLestat So I asked the question and got a pretty quick response. They are planning to make their habs less cartoon like and are going to add that question to the FAQ! I’ve got tons of more questions now!
    I’d really have to see more first then and know for sure it’s not just a way to make easy money ;) I’d have to be able to base that on more than just a video. The fact it’s a frustrated Sims 3 fan is a pro for me of course.

I don’t really like the look of the characters by the way, especially compared to the amazing surroundings?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited October 2018
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @CravenLestat So I asked the question and got a pretty quick response. They are planning to make their habs less cartoon like and are going to add that question to the FAQ! I’ve got tons of more questions now!

Kinda figured that their "habs" were just placeholders to give people an idea of what the game was going to be like. Thank goodness for that, because those cartoons wouldn't have fit in with a "photo-realistic" world very well.

As much as we're hesitant to open up our wallets. Small startups don't have a ready source of cash like established businesses and need a source of funding and it seems as though crowd-funding as a source of development funds is a thing now. Right now as far as I know, this is a small team of developers and the three managing partners that are working on this right now and they're not a big company. I'm sure that those who are interested can pitch a couple dollars at it but heavy investment is still in the realm of venture-capitalists.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    As much as I would like another sim-like game that isn't made by EA I'd like to know more before I part with money.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    So I asked the question and got a pretty quick response. They are planning to make their habs less cartoon like and are going to add that question to the FAQ! I’ve got tons of more questions now!

Less cartoon-like isn't enough. They would have to look more realistic than Sims 3 and 4 to make me interested. :wink:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I hope EA is at least paying attention.
    I don't know why they still refuse to add an adjustable clock. It has made a huge contribution to my enjoyment of The Sims 3.

I don't have any confidence in these people's ability to make a game however.
    I would like to know more about who is developing this game and what games they have already made.

I do hope a competitor to the sims does rise up and they should hire Revie studios for the vision.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I would like to see how the Habs will really look, before I would spend any money, I love how the scenery is. This to me is just the first peek at what might be a great game.
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I think my graphics card melted juat looking at the screenshots, very inpressive but I wonder about the system specs?
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    They would be smart to do some concept art with ideas of how the habs will eventually look. While the environments are stunning, the habs need a LOT of work.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited October 2018
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    I think my graphics card melted juat looking at the screenshots, very inpressive but I wonder about the system specs?
    It looks more advanced than other PC games?
    (I don’t play any but I don’t think so...?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    It looks more advanced than other PC games?
    (I don’t play any but I don’t think so...?)

In their FAQ, they point out that there are several FPS & RPG games with massive worlds you get to play in but EA went in the wrong direction with TS4, dumbing it down to a mobile type of game rather than a Witcher or Battlefield type. In fact, IMHO, the TS4 worlds could have been open but not necessarily as large as these worlds so it wouldn't have taxed a modern computer much, particularly if the game had been designed to take advantage of 64-bit and multi-core technology. I wish them the best and might support them as we see more of their vision.
    Firby nurbs!
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    I'll pledge to it, but don't get your hopes up. Most Kickstarter games don't make the total amount in order to give you half of what they promised. Heck, even if they do make the amount they need it may not be what you, or they, envisioned. And these peeps are asking for a total of 2.5 million USD in a month.

On another note, the environment is nice, but the character models... Yeesh. Looks worse than TS1. :grimace: Also, it has a pet peeve of mine in that glide walk. :lol: Where the walking animation makes it look like their feet aren't doing the work, they're just gliding along. :lol: It's a staple of indie games, I swear.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    There is supposedly a new open world simulation game being developed by a frustrated Sims 3 player. It looks legit but they’re asking for money for development. I’ll add a link later when I’m on my computer but if you search for ‘habs’ or ‘reviestudio’ you should be able to find it. If this is for real it’s exciting!

eta: https://www.reviestudios.com/

eta: not a scam!

I had to look at the video a second time but it still looks like Sims 3 with skins, not a new game. Are they running a scam to get people to give them money?
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    edited October 2018
    The fact that they want USD$2.5 million in such a short time is crazy. They are never going to get that much, I would be surprised if they even get $10,000. It’s definitely fishy, maybe not a total scam but I don’t think any of the team or partners has the necessary skill or experience to make such a big game.
    Post edited by coco on
    edited October 2018
    I don't think it's a scam at all. I think it's a very ambitious new studio who might be a bit in over their heads. I'm curious to see their Kickstarter when it's up. See what the concept pics really look like. Hopefully see a version of the Habs that isn't...whatever monster is in their current video. :lol:

Anyway, more info will be available in 4 days, so I guess we shall see.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they got a cease and desist from EA for even being remotely similar to The Sims.
    I kind of have the same thoughts as most of you have expressed. The habs now look terrible though the studio has said they will be improved upon. And is it actually possible to get that much money in the space of one month? We'll find out!

Reading the FAQ is very interesting and seeing how they've gone about this, it seems their hearts are in the right place and they've done their research.

@Emily4331 I think it's legal for someone to create another life simulation sandbox game. There's lots of gaming companies that have competitive titles. I think life simulation is just really, really hard or other companies would have capitalized on this market too. Because it's obviously a huge market. That's me guessing. I have no clue what really goes into creating a game.
    @ZeeGee It is legal to make a game of the same genre. But if EA has enough proof that they steal any ideas from the sims, then they'll take action. And since the creative director is a sims fan, they might even just accidentally borrow too much. It happens.

I can't think of a single game that is similar to The Sims in how it plays. Either that is an amazing truth given how well The Sims games have sold or they're too afraid to go against a juggernaut like EA. Pretty sure, now don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure that EA has quelled indie simulation games before they saw the light of day before. And so I wouldn't be surprised if this game just went poof.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    Their hearts do seem to be in the right place, and I'd like to see this project grow and develop over time. But then I read a few things that made me doubt this.

"We have limited time and budget to release our base game." Nothing against Evie the creator but in order to rival The Sims or be better, the game needs to be in development for a very long time. It's not a race and I think we all know what happens to projects that get rushed. The thing that makes The Sims great isn't the worlds they live in, it's the Sims themselves. All we have seen so far are environments that could be from any game. I'd like to see more about the Habs and what makes them special instead.

3 years ago I backed this and it turned out to be the highest funded video game in Kickstarter history. It will be released next year. Revie Studios really need an exciting and transparent marketing campaign if they want to be successful. After all, I've seen plenty of videos of Kickstarter campaigns where the creators ran off with the money. I don't think that will happen here but I can't help but have my doubts about it all.