Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SupaCrafta332SupaCrafta332 Posts: 6 New Member
    Question about the pool/national park venue we have to make, does it have to be an actual pool venue with the requirements or just a lot covered in a pool?
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    Question about the pool/national park venue we have to make, does it have to be an actual pool venue with the requirements or just a lot covered in a pool?

You don't have to make it at all, it's something optional you can add in. You can make it a generic lot if you don't want requirements/NPC's to visit, or make it a pool if you do want to see NPC's there. There's some pool lots uploaded for this challenge on the gallery too, if you don't feel like making one yourself. I recommend placing a pool lot because it'll help you keep your Sims clean until you can afford your own pool on your lot.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions/comments. :)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    > @Snowie said:
    > SupaCrafta332 wrote: »
    >
    > Question about the pool/national park venue we have to make, does it have to be an actual pool venue with the requirements or just a lot covered in a pool?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You don't have to make it at all, it's something optional you can add in. You can make it a generic lot if you don't want requirements/NPC's to visit, or make it a pool if you do want to see NPC's there. There's some pool lots uploaded for this challenge on the gallery too, if you don't feel like making one yourself. I recommend placing a pool lot because it'll help you keep your Sims clean until you can afford your own pool on your lot.
    >
    > Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions/comments. :)

Ah ok thanks!
    Actually, I know this is probably explained somewhere but is the purchase seeds interaction with the garden planter banned in the prehistoric age? I made it myself, so I know I can have it...
    > @SupaCrafta332 said:
    > Actually, I know this is probably explained somewhere but is the purchase seeds interaction with the garden planter banned in the prehistoric age? I made it myself, so I know I can have it...

Actually nevermind I just saw the post.
    @SupaCrafta332 Yep! It's allowed, especially now that grafting is significantly harder I think the seed packets are fine. :)
  • SarahkaySarahkay Posts: 362 Member
    I've been away from the challenge for a little while, so maybe I missed this. Is anyone else having problems finding History Challenge lots and sims in the Gallery since the update?
    Sarahkay wrote: »
    I've been away from the challenge for a little while, so maybe I missed this. Is anyone else having problems finding History Challenge lots and sims in the Gallery since the update?

I haven't tested it yet, I can test it later. It's possible the gallery update messed with some of the hashtags.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Not any prehistorical toddler outfits avaible and having issues accessing a site because you have to register
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Not any prehistorical toddler outfits avaible and having issues accessing a site because you have to register

Is the website you have to register to called sim zoo? That's where I got most of my prehistoric CC, and while you do have to register I've never had any issues with it or emails from them.
    Here and here is where I get most of my CC from. :smile:
    edited September 2018
    Here and here is where I get most of my CC from. :smile:
    I finally was able to register on the one site
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited September 2018
    What traits are allowed for Pre-historical era? @Snowie
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    What traits are allowed for Pre-historical era? @Snowie

Traits aren't restricted, so you can use any of them. I usually give my ancestors the "loves outdoors" traits, one to help with their daily tasks/aspirations, and one to spice up their personalities. ;)
  • Sinikka_TuuliSinikka_Tuuli Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi @Snowie! I am very new to challenges and I was wondering if there is a particular reason for having a few specific worlds to start the History Challenge in? Is it to prevent overcrowding of the map when you get farther down the line in the challenge? The only reason I ask is because something just really bugs me about being able to see houses and streets in the background when I'm playing in prehistory (a modded residential Granite Falls/Tropical Getaway is more what I picture) - is this map just too small?
    Hi @Snowie! I am very new to challenges and I was wondering if there is a particular reason for having a few specific worlds to start the History Challenge in? Is it to prevent overcrowding of the map when you get farther down the line in the challenge? The only reason I ask is because something just really bugs me about being able to see houses and streets in the background when I'm playing in prehistory (a modded residential Granite Falls/Tropical Getaway is more what I picture) - is this map just too small?

Hi, and welcome to the challenge! When it comes to selecting a starting world, it doesn't matter. Your Sims are free to travel to different worlds as needed, so the word size isn't important. The rules say to pick a large lot for your challenge lot--this is just to give you plenty of room to build as you're not allowed to move your family around after you start. Just keep that in mind when picking out your challenge lot. :) Also know that adventuring in Selvadorada is restricted until the Old West Era, so if you choose that world as your home you still won't be allowed to explore the ruins, etc.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Until then, happy Simming!

PS: I like the island on Windenburg (with the 64x64 lot) for my challenges.
  • EnchantedTreeEnchantedTree Posts: 5 New Member
    This is so unique! I literally got to try this!
  • Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    edited November 2018
    Hi All, I am just about to restart my History Challenge, as my computer died and I lost all my saves, but I can't remember and I apologise if this is already asked somewhere, but @Snowie , are there any restrictions for traits available when starting the prehistory era? I can't seem to find anything on that?

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to restarting this challenge, I know I had a blast last time :)

EDIT : DOH! Oh I'm so sorry, I just saw that post, now I feel stupid, just ignore me lol
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
    Hi, only me again. I am wondering, since one of my prehistoric ancestors rolled outdoor enthusiast, are they allowed to travel to granite falls camping ground? or do they have to wait? he has to catch 5 fish there, just wondering whether this can be incorporated on the first 3 days camping other than your home lot? Again, I apologise if this has been stated somewhere :blush:
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
    edited November 2018
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »
    Hi, only me again. I am wondering, since one of my prehistoric ancestors rolled outdoor enthusiast, are they allowed to travel to granite falls camping ground? or do they have to wait? he has to catch 5 fish there, just wondering whether this can be incorporated on the first 3 days camping other than your home lot? Again, I apologise if this has been stated somewhere :blush:

Hey! Yes, outdoor enthusiast is allowed as an aspiration and since it requires almost everything to be done in Granite Falls, you're free to travel there any time. I would recommend getting as much of that aspiration's requirements in Granite Falls done early though, as last time I checked your garden at home will die if you're away too long. In addition, I'm sure you'll find the deodorizing cream in the herbalism skill extremely useful for the early stages of your game--and yes, if you need the grill for the herbalism recipes you're allowed to have one. I found a rock grill CC to be very fitting for the Prehistoric Era.

Edit: Sorry, just woke up and apparently didn't read your original question well enough. You're allowed to spend your 3 days off your lot in Granite Falls, yes. The idea for those first 3 days is to experience a nomadic lifestyle with your Prehistoric Sims before you settle down and start a family.
    Important Announcement!!

In case anyone wasn't aware, there is currently a bug in the game that will cause Sims to rapidly age while you are in CAS. It will age vampires, and will even age your Sims with aging turned off. I'm hoping this bug will be fixed early this week, and wouldn't recommend playing any of your main save files with this bug right now as it is pretty game-breaking.

That's all for the main announcement, I've got some musings and thoughts below if anyone is interested to give their input and ideas.

So because of the above bug, I've avoided playing the new pack--and as such don't know what I'm going to add in the challenge for the new items, fame system, etc. That's not my main point of this post though, as I am thinking of rewriting this challenge from the bottom up. I want to keep the current eras (maybe add one), have goals per era, and still have era-specific restrictions on items, careers, relationships, etc. However, I am planning to research each time period (or in some cases multiple time periods), and get the challenge as close to history (within the bounds of the game) as I can. As I've said before, I'm not in any way a history buff--it was actually my worst class in school, but this challenge has made me want to research it and get it as correct as I can while I'm in charge of it and the original creator is nowhere to be seen. So, with that in mind, anyone who is still reading this (thanks) I would love some help in this task. Give me all your ideas, thoughts, concerns, issues with the challenge as it is now, everything. You can post it here or PM me, whichever you prefer. If anyone is willing to, I would love to have an open discussion via live chat or have contributors who can suggest/comment/edit on the (currently nonexistent) draft of the proposed changes to the challenge. Please share your expertise with me and let me know if you want to help more on this challenge!

Thanks for reading and for everyone's support of this challenge over the years. Happy Simming!
    Thanks @Snowie ! I'll be heading to Granite falls pronto lol. And, history was not my best subject either, I think it would be awesome to have more in this challenge, absolutely awesome!! Thanks for doing this, I know there are some very learned people here on history, it will be great to see what they have to offer also!
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
    @Snowie
    I actually didn't know about the bug since I haven't been in game in almost a month (so thanks!).

I'm posting this from my phone at the moment, so it's not going to be in-depth, or even deeply thought out, but one major thing I did notice going from prehistoric to early civilization was the amount of money I carried over. I had amassed so much that I ended up changing my written story from a poor family to a rather wealthy one. While i know most people wont have that problem directly, it does make it very easy to reach the goals of the next generation.
    Take house party, for example. I had enough money to splurge on everything I needed and got it on the first try. :s I'm well over halfway to 100 collectables displayed because I saved one of everything from the previous era knowing it needed to be displayed as one of the goals. Just a little dull when you reach goals so easily.
    Also, it would be amazing to see another era added! I was honestly thinking of adding one just to make my story flow better (although right now i cannot remember what year it was). I have a chart on my computer with all the eras and ones I thought about incorporating in, along with all major events in that era (my current era is centered around the Eruption on the Minoan island of Thera).
    I'd love to help out anyway I can. I go slowly from era to era because of my written story, but I do research quite a bit before I start writing. :smile: I'll post something more in-depth in the near future.
    @Snowie
    I actually didn't know about the bug since I haven't been in game in almost a month (so thanks!).

I'm posting this from my phone at the moment, so it's not going to be in-depth, or even deeply thought out, but one major thing I did notice going from prehistoric to early civilization was the amount of money I carried over. I had amassed so much that I ended up changing my written story from a poor family to a rather wealthy one. While i know most people wont have that problem directly, it does make it very easy to reach the goals of the next generation.
    Take house party, for example. I had enough money to splurge on everything I needed and got it on the first try. :s I'm well over halfway to 100 collectables displayed because I saved one of everything from the previous era knowing it needed to be displayed as one of the goals. Just a little dull when you reach goals so easily.
    Also, it would be amazing to see another era added! I was honestly thinking of adding one just to make my story flow better (although right now i cannot remember what year it was). I have a chart on my computer with all the eras and ones I thought about incorporating in, along with all major events in that era (my current era is centered around the Eruption on the Minoan island of Thera).
    I'd love to help out anyway I can. I go slowly from era to era because of my written story, but I do research quite a bit before I start writing. :smile: I'll post something more in-depth in the near future.

I also find the collectibles goal in Early Civilization to be extremely easy--by saving one of each fish and plant, I'm usually well over halfway there before I'm even done with the Prehistoric Era. I think it could be tweaked, or changed to a different goal altogether. In all honesty, I haven't played all the way through an Early Civ Era. I have a bad habit of dropping games for long periods of time and when I get back to them, I just start over. What I'm trying to say is, I've never worked for the house party goal in Early Civ since it was originally updated by Cloudseeker many years ago. It's always been a controversial goal that never quite fit in with the Era, as it forced stoves and fridges to be added to Early Civ when they originally weren't allowed until the next Era (or even later?). I think that in looking to revamp the challenge, that goal definitely needs to be replaced.

When I think about the "goal" of this challenge, I think it is to experience different Eras in history. While the item, career, and romance restrictions are focused on being as historically accurate as they can be, the goals of the Era are where the player really gets to live out that period of history. When I revamp this challenge, I'll try my best to be focused on those ideas so that the true goal of the challenge isn't lost.

When it comes to how much money you can make, there isn't much that can be done about that. I *could* lower the starting cash to force you to struggle a bit more on your home lot, but while I enjoy those kinds of challenges, not everyone does, and the true challenge to this is living in each Era with the rules and restrictions. In the end, it's just extremely easy to make money in TS4 and there isn't much to be done about that without mods.
  • DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    Just a thought you could have 2 different starting levels like extreme and normal @Snowie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top